What is Superman's greatest power/ability?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

FistOfThe North
I'd say invulnerability, but he's not really invinsible but he is to most things.

Avalonofthewind
It's actually his influence. Which is why Batman told him to start acting like Superman in Infinite Crisis 1.

Ultimate Hulk43
I'd say his strength,invulnerability and super-intelligence.

FistOfThe North
Originally posted by Ultimate Hulk43
I'd say his strength,invulnerability and super-intelligence.

I never really understood the super-intelligence thing. I know he's smart, know languages, speed reads, photo graphic memory, but Superman doesn't strike me as the intellectual type. Like I don't see him being as smart as a Dr. Doom, Reed Richards, Al Ghul, I even think Batman is smarter than him. For some reason, i don't even think Superman has superior fighting skill. I think Batman has better fighting skills than Superman. Lex is always tricking him, Supes can't catch him. Lex is considered A Super-genius by DC, and Lex shows it. Superman is smart, but I just never really understood the super-intelligence thing.

I just don't see him as super-smart as he supposedly is.

eleveninches
Originally posted by FistOfThe North
I never really understood the super-intelligence thing. I know he's smart, know languages, speed reads, photo graphic memory, but Superman doesn't strike me as the intellectual type. Like I don't see him being as smart as a Dr. Doom, Reed Richards, Al Ghul, I even think Batman is smarter than him. For some reason, i don't even think Superman has superior fighting skill. I think Batman has better fighting skills than Superman. Lex is always tricking him, Supes can't catch him. Lex is considered A Super-genius by DC, and Lex shows it. Superman is smart, but I just never really understood the super-intelligence thing.

I just don't see him as super-smart as he supposedly is. he is a scientific genius. he's mastered kryptonian technology, and even mastered phantom zone technology (not even jor-el could do that)

FistOfThe North
Originally posted by eleveninches
he is a scientific genius. he's mastered kryptonian technology,

I'll bet he is. It's just i've seen smarter than superman in DC. I'm not saying he's dumb, i just don't see him as the that type. I know Suprman's intelligent. He reads dictionary sized books faster than we read newpapers and understand 'em more too.

Mindship
I'm not sure who said this (of Superman); maybe it was Batman who said to Wonder Woman...

"For all his abilities, he never abuses his power."
To which WW replied, "And that's what makes him Superman."

Implied is Supes' greatest power/ability.

As for his intelligence: it might be better to say he is very knowledgable; he is a quick study and can apply what he knows very readily. But in terms of creative problem-solving; it is here where people like Reed or Bruce are superior.

ZephroCarnelian
Originally posted by Mindship
I'm not sure who said this (of Superman); maybe it was Batman who said to Wonder Woman...

"For all his abilities, he never abuses his power."
To which WW replied, "And that's what makes him Superman."

Implied is Supes' greatest power/ability.

As for his intelligence: it might be better to say he is very knowledgable; he is a quick study and can apply what he knows very readily. But in terms of creative problem-solving; it is here where people like Reed or Bruce are superior.

Agreed totally.

The fact that he's more powerful than his team-mates, yet at the same time more humble than any of them is what makes him Superman.

smile

FistOfThe North
Originally posted by Mindship

You took the words right outta my mind. Thats exactly what I really meant to say, I couldn't put my thumb on how to say it exactly.

Thanks for clearing it up.

cool

Mindship
Originally posted by FistOfThe North
You took the words right outta my mind. Thats exactly what I really meant to say, I couldn't put my thumb on how to say it exactly.

Thanks for clearing it up.

cool

smile

Hegemon875
Its pre crisis superman that was an actual genius.

Ultimate Hulk43
Yep.The other versions of Superman are smart but Pre-Crisis Superman is superior.

GODOFALL1
THIS IS VERY VERY EASY. ALL OF YOU ARE WAY WAY WAY OFF!!! DON'T YOU REMEMBER SUPERMAN 1?? HIS GREATEST POWER IS HIS SPEED!!!!!!!! HELLO.....HE FLEW AROUND THE ENTIRE EARTH MANY MANY TIMES IN JUST SECONDS AND CAUSED IT TO CHANGE DIRECTION. DONE. GAMEOVER! GIMME A HARDER QUESTION.

soleran30
His best power is his ability to not take advantage of his numerous powers and smash us like ants then take over the world several times oversmile His compassion for humanity BAM....then his speed.

Piedmon
Two Words: Super Knitting.

((The_Anomaly))
this is not easy to answer...

all of clarks powers are what make him superman, see like his invulnerability is good but if he only had that he couldn't do a lot offensively.

if he only had strength he'd be strong but you could just shoot him in the face and kill him.

if he only had speed he just be a slower version of the flash.

if he only had the ability to fly, well, its not that useful to fly if you cant really do anything else.

and as for his other powers, x-ray vision, heat vision, hearing, seeing etc. they aren't really "stand alone" type powers..

so i really dont know, he'd be pretty much useless with only one ability so its hard to say what one is the greatest.

GODOFALL1
His compassion for humanity???? LOL Stop being a wimp. We are talking about POWERS....not morals. His speed is is greatest power. I'm confused as to why this is even a discussion. HE FLEW AROUND THE EARTH IN SECONDS. I don't think you understand just how fast that is.......

Demas
"What is Superman's greatest power/ability?"

The mini-series "Superman: Strength" with covers by Alex Ross (written by Scott McCloud) addressed this as basically being his up-bringing. The moral compass, fiber, and strength instilled into him as a child by his parents.

Superman's most iconic powers are his strength (intrinsically tied to his invulnerability) and flight but I'd say the former is more important (consider Smallville, an entire "Superman" series where he doesn't really fly!).

In the technical sense, his greatest power is his ability to absorb and metabolize yellow sunlight... from this ability ALL his other ability stems, lacking it, he lacks all his other abilities.

In a literary sense, his greatest power is to inspire and interest readers, which made him the First Son of the Golden Age of Comics, the First Superhero, the longest running superhero, arguably globally the most successful, etc.

In the historic sense, it is again his strength which defined his character even before the wider array of speed, flight, and vision powers he would gain down the road.

In a literal sense, it's hard to say which power results in the greatest output of power since it seems Superman can pour variable amounts of power into his different abilities... but I would lean towards strength, he seems to have an upper cap on his speed.

In terms of utility, it's split evenly between his strength/invulnerability and his speed/flight.

In terms of ability, it's both his ability to inspire and the allies he garners through that ability... which gathers the powers of not only himself but a multitude of minds and powers rivaling anything else in the DCU.

((The_Anomaly))
Originally posted by GODOFALL1
His compassion for humanity???? LOL Stop being a wimp. We are talking about POWERS....not morals. His speed is is greatest power. I'm confused as to why this is even a discussion. HE FLEW AROUND THE EARTH IN SECONDS. I don't think you understand just how fast that is.......

well if thats true then TECHNICALLY the flash is better then superman at what superman does best, therefore the flash is better then superman.

speed is hardly is greatest ability.

kryptonite786
Originally posted by ((The_Anomaly))
well if thats true then TECHNICALLY the flash is better then superman at what superman does best, therefore the flash is better then superman.

speed is hardly is greatest ability.

spot on. Took the words out of my mouth.

Zarathustra
Besides, I believe Superman's not nearly as fast as he used to be. Before he could go faster than light, back in '95 he and Wally West were exhausted after one lap around Earth. Of course, Wally is faster by far since then. Superman's not even close.

Obviously, absorbing sunlight is what gives him all his powers, but the advantages it provides him beyond that: his near endless endurance. To mention The Flash again, West eats constantly and in excess to keep himself going. Superman doesn't need to stop for anything: his energy is always being replenished.

Draco69
Flight. Superman made us all believe we can fly.

GODOFALL1
NO THE FLASH COULDN'T RUN AROUND THE EARTH AND MAKE IT SWITCH ROTATION. LOL. However, that is the funniest thing I've heard of all day. Thanx for making me laugh dude. By the way, why dou you guys continue with this invulnerablity thing. He isn't. He got is butt kicked by DoomsDay. Bloodied real bad. He is not invulnerable. No one is..........not even GOKU.

BobbyD
His best ability/power is also his greatest weakness....the ability to care about something too much.

GODOFALL1
THE ABILITY TO CARE ABOUT SOMETHING TOO MUCH? HMMMM....UHH....THAT SOUNDS GAY. ANYBODY CAN HAVE THAT ABILITY....WE'RE TALKING ABOUT POWERS, NOT MORALS.

BobbyD
Well, it may sound gay, Godofall, however, it takes someone with real strength to not kill someone, which I imagine is what you'd do if you were Superman.

That is strength more than you apparently could ever know.

redcaped
He doesn't have a greater power, they're all on the same level just like ours. He is Superman the best and the first. Please pay attention now. Superman is stronger than The Mighty Thor but Thor's power is truly greater.

GODOFALL1
bobbyd, anyone can be a nice person. My grandma wouldn't hurt a fly, so that means her power is greater than supermans. WTF? Grow up...we're talking about powers here, you know special abilities? Not morals. The coolest thing superman ever did, was fly around the earth like he did....hands down. Not hurting us b/c he's a "nice guy" lol

Bardock42
Originally posted by Piedmon
Two Words: Super Knitting.

I'd say Super-Mathematics....

No really, I think his greatest ability is to get the respect of Batman...not many that do.....

Oh and Godofall...the Superman of the first movie is not the current superman anyore...Supes couldn't do it now. And shouldn't have been abole to do it in the movie either.

GODOFALL1
Yea? Well, he did. If "IFS" and BUTS" were candy and nuts everday would be xmas!!

GODOFALL1
OH and im pretty sure Superman Prime could do it easily...........

redcaped
Didn't I warn Superman's punch could cause disturbance.

Bardock42
Yea? Well, he did. If "IFS" and BUTS" were candy and nuts everday would be xmas!!

No, current superman did never do it, he doesn't have the power.

OH and im pretty sure Superman Prime could do it easily...........

Way to go on assumptions here.

Nevermind
Superman's greatest ability is what comes in handy at the time. It doesn't take a genius to figure that out.

DarkCrawler
Originally posted by Draco69

No, R.Kelly did! mad

stick out tongue

Etrigan
Apparently Mister Terrific I (Terry Sloane) was the most intelligent person in the DCU, but I can't remember where I heard that.

Superman's greatest ability is probably his heat vision. He can base it on a massive scale; from frying a microscopic steel chip in a man's skull without hurting him, so blowing a ten foot deep hole in the ground.

Both examples are from Hush, weirdly.

xkalybr
Superman does everything at a super human level. All his powers are great. Simply take each of his powers away and see how he would function.

X-ray eyes, heat vision, and cold breath are great to have, but he could still be Superman without them.

Super speed, to include speed flight, is a key ability. Without it, it makes him not have the ability to fight crime half way around the planet at a moments notice. He would stay in Metropolis more often, like Batman is with Gotham.

His super intelligence is impressive, but that innocent boy scout mentality holds him back, which is why villains like Lex Luthor, and even Batman will always out think and out strategize him.

Super strength and durability. This power is practically 2nd to none to other heroes.

Superman takes so much more beatings than he should because he has no fight skills, and simply figures those punches he takes won't hurt him so bad. I mean, he is so fast, you figure he would never get hit, but he does, always. His strength saves him always, plus the fact that most villains can't hurt him.

If Superman lost his strength and durability, and kept the rest of his powers, he would nowhere be as great a hero. He'd get beat a lot more.

I'd say his Class 100 strength and durability is his most impressive attribute.

Let me add, imagine if Superman, at full power, learned some fight techniques, he would truly be unstoppable vs the really strong baddies. Maybe Batman showed him some pressure points, nerve hits, and how to evade punches. big grin

cheap cabbage
Superman's greatest power is DC comics. He can't lose....EVER. Even when he loses, he wins. Superman's greatest power is being able to shit-kick everyone and still have enough time to go home and bang lois.

The Ion
Jeph Loeb

DarkCrawler
Originally posted by xkalybr

Let me add, imagine if Superman, at full power, learned some fight techniques, he would truly be unstoppable vs the really strong baddies. Maybe Batman showed him some pressure points, nerve hits, and how to evade punches. big grin

He already know those things. He used a nerve pinch on Batman once.

DarkCrawler
Originally posted by Draco69

Namor is the first flying superhero. sad

The Ion
Originally posted by DarkCrawler
Namor is the first flying superhero. sad
Yeah but he has ankle wings...

Kal875
Speed, speed is the best power

John Bak'or
his greatst ability is the power to absorb his powers from the sun thnx to his kryptonian cells. if he wasnt kryptonian he would never be super at all

Darth Macabre
That's not really a power though. That's just his physiology.

mano012sg
Superman does everything at a super human level. All his powers are great. Simply take each of his powers away and see how he would function.

X-ray eyes, heat vision, and cold breath are great to have, but he could still be Superman without them.

Super speed, to include speed flight, is a key ability. Without it, it makes him not have the ability to fight crime half way around the planet at a moments notice. He would stay in Metropolis more often, like Batman is with Gotham.

His super intelligence is impressive, but that innocent boy scout mentality holds him back, which is why villains like Lex Luthor, and even Batman will always out think and out strategize him.

Super strength and durability. This power is practically 2nd to none to other heroes.

Superman takes so much more beatings than he should because he has no fight skills, and simply figures those punches he takes won't hurt him so bad. I mean, he is so fast, you figure he would never get hit, but he does, always. His strength saves him always, plus the fact that most villains can't hurt him.

If Superman lost his strength and durability, and kept the rest of his powers, he would nowhere be as great a hero. He'd get beat a lot more.

I'd say his Class 100 strength and durability is his most impressive attribute.

What kind of hero would you like to have for the 21 century and beyond?
Upgrading all the comic characters from west and east, if we could have our superman reliving his life path...how would he be in this new times?
OR
If we could redesign the new superhero, using the background of pre-21st century comics (DC & Marvel) and anime (jap/chinese) put together,
-how would our ultimate hero now be?
-what would be his placing with all the comic/anime characters in this new&modern time?how would they interact?
-How would the rest of the comics world (especially superman---if its not him that we are redesigning) accept/welcome this new hero into their team? what would his place be?
-if they (like the UN) could form a organisation of heroes (like the JLU) but without compromising their individual potential in solving cases? how will it be?
{if we could redesign all that exists now, how will it be better?}

Let Your imagination run wild. For instance:

What would be the role of a character who has all of superman's powers, all of batman's abilities/skills including martial arts(as a way to use and control,develop and manipulate his latent superpowers), through his training learns to nullify&counter himself of kryptonite, even use it as some tool or medicine. He also learns to use all his force firmly on errant humans (just like Batman(mood) / Kenshin (principle)), and forcefully to deal with threats greater than he can handle (battousai+Batman). These would be so trained/drilled into him, tat even if he goes berserk, his trained reflexes will take over, without compromising his true good intentions.

What would be the role of such a character, given that he was born like supes in a farm, and got influenced by the bad news around, decided to use his powers for good, and like the batman decided to take his vigilante role to a whole new level, with the anticipation of alien races just like him, that he might meet in his future.?

Say for starters he works his way to become a mega-entreprenuer of a technological hub for humanitarian purposes, where like Bat's can delegate jobs, learn about bad politics and inside news with the big shots, while due to being the one of the wealthiest of men and a leader, has money, resources, time and not to mention super abilities, to do his crusade?

Let's say we give the him some limits: He is limited to a maximum (fully-powered) strength of moving asteroids, not whole planets but at the same time allowing warp-speed travel by moving faster than the speed of light, outside of earth. Within earth he is bound by earth's atmospheric factors, so is just slower than light.

a) How else would he marry both superman's and batman's AND/OR the other chinese/japanese character's chracteristics, for both earth-based and inter-galactic crusades?

b) Wat would his suit be like, what technology will his suit possess? given he is an international figure/crusader; what vehicles would he use, what equipment would he invent to use?

c) types of cases, crimes? people he'll meet etc....

d) will he have additional powers?for example?

Please add in your suggestions for this new character.

*He is not meant to substitute the originals in anyway, but in the spirit of creating a new-version of himself or a totally new hero entrant with the best of all the other DC,Marvel,even Jap/chinese anime put together.

{*I havent read any other thread on this kind of thing, if there is lemme know...but please suggest you opinion; anyway see my next thread for my rationale behind this thread}

mano012sg
Upon the release of a new comic book, or comic movie like spiderman...the whole world goes for it. they even try to picture an indian spidey and stuff....so bringing a comic home is global trend. Our famous comics were originated slightly nationalistically for DC/Marvel, Chinese/Japanese etc..but they eventually help the world from their perpective only, hence leading other cultures to yearn for their version of the character. HECK even in real life look at how AMERICAN IDOL is copied very where?

So i figured what if could evolve a new comic hero character who has the best of east and west in training & education, yet is just as powerful and hence capable as all our famous heroes. yet he is straight away devoted to humanity not to any one state or country in particular, but all inclusive (kind of like affliated to the UN (world), like how supes is affliated to america). how will he be? how will he partner up with the rest of the comic heroes?

second what would be the hierachy of all (east&west) the comic characters put together? their place in the comic world.

this is my reason for coming up with this thread.

Knightfall93
Originally posted by DarkCrawler
Namor is the first flying superhero. sad Namor's stll the only superhero to rip off dr Spock!

Knightfall93
Everyone's about to kill me...

Dr.Fate
This is going to sound so ****ing corny but in Kingdom Come the priest guy said that supes greatest power is to know right from wrong. I mean how often has he accidently killed an innocent person or done osething so terribly wrong. Its not like Ironman who's always v****ing up over most of the xmen. He has always done whats right without going off the edge and killing people. Like the authority or the punisher. Maybe thats why he's such a icon of good. So for the record its his sense of right and wrong that is his greatest power. God is that corny but we are talking about superman

Femi32

Superman fought with Wonder Woman for 1000 years and defeated an army under a red sun with 40 times the earth's gravity. He even beat General Zod (Just like Superman, except he's powered by a red sun) under a red sun, plus he knows pressure points. He used pressure points on Tempest and Batman

Check the Superman respect thread and you'll see Superman taking on bad guys while depowered or not powered at all.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.