Trying my hand at filmmaking...

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

mattador
Well, im just about out of ideas as to what to do with my life. Then it donned on me, i've always liked movies, why not make a short film to see if im good at it? So here I go. Soon, im am going to start a short (about $300) movie, featuring some of my friends from school who are in the drama club. Everything is pretty much TBA right now but I will try to keep this thread up-to-date best I can. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. yes

Mando
As an inspiring Filmmaker myself, I have no choice but to give out some advice. But there isn't much Advice I can give right now, I have no Idea what kind of story you are working on. But I'd love to help out on the script If you are in need of the help. But the biggest piece of advice I have is usually common sense, "Don't spend money If you don't have to". Easy to undertand right? That's for you to decide. But All in all, good luck friend.

-Mando

mattador
Originally posted by Mando
As an inspiring Filmmaker myself, I have no choice but to give out some advice. But there isn't much Advice I can give right now, I have no Idea what kind of story you are working on. But I'd love to help out on the script If you are in need of the help. But the biggest piece of advice I have is usually common sense, "Don't spend money If you don't have to". Easy to undertand right? That's for you to decide. But All in all, good luck friend.

-Mando

Much appreciated yes Thanks Mando smile

Solo
As long as you have good writing, there's no chance that your film will be bad.

Good luck to you. What are you planning to shot with? A Hi-8 (8mm) would be the best choice. Cheapest and can be stretched out for cinema size and still look decent.

mattador
Originally posted by Solo
As long as you have good writing, there's no chance that your film will be bad.

Good luck to you. What are you planning to shot with? A Hi-8 would be the best choice. Cheapest and can be stretched out for cinema size and still look decent.

Hi-8, now can that be found at a local electronics store? If so, about how much will it run me? Remember, low budget for my first flick.

Solo
It basically looks like your average camera, I mean, if you already have a camcorder I'm sure it would do just as well. A newer type of a Hi-8 is about $200 and looks something like:
http://ec1.images-amazon.com/images/P/B0001DRQFS.01-ACYJQKCDCVBZ7._SCMZZZZZZZ_.jpg

I was just making the suggestion if you didn't already have a camera. Unless yours is twenty years old, then I'm sure it will do.

mattador
Much obliged big grin

Mando
Yes, that is a great camera. Well, there are better ones, but that one is the best for it's price. Like I said earlier, It's great. Alot better than my old one anyway.

Solo
I'm excited to hear how this goes. Whenever you begin please do give us some details.

dave_kodak
low-budget movie.
well i say do it, i got 5 short-scripts myself, there not very good, but pretty funny.
i have everything i need to make them, but there is the whole budget thing, it sure is a problem in todays world, but hey what can u do?
well i think i should just not make them until i got what i need($$$).
I'll tell u right now, blow stuff up and it will be a great movie.

I'm blowing up a school in one of mine, and let me tell u, thats the main point in the movie.
no its not a real school, just a model that i made, and filled with a small bomb.
to blow up a work of art really does suck, but its going to look so freaking cool!

hmm, and i would also like to hear about how this works for you.
who knows, u may just become a god in Hollywood.
...if so can i join your team of greatness?

mattador
Yes, that is a great camera. Well, there are better ones, but that one is the best for it's price. Like I said earlier, It's great. Alot better than my old one anyway.

I'll snoop around for one big grin

Originally posted by Solo
I'm excited to hear how this goes. Whenever you begin please do give us some details.

Sure thing wink

Originally posted by dave_kodak
low-budget movie.
well i say do it, i got 5 short-scripts myself, there not very good, but pretty funny.
i have everything i need to make them, but there is the whole budget thing, it sure is a problem in todays world, but hey what can u do?
well i think i should just not make them until i got what i need($$$).
I'll tell u right now, blow stuff up and it will be a great movie.

I'm blowing up a school in one of mine, and let me tell u, thats the main point in the movie.
no its not a real school, just a model that i made, and filled with a small bomb.
to blow up a work of art really does suck, but its going to look so freaking cool!

hmm, and i would also like to hear about how this works for you.
who knows, u may just become a god in Hollywood.
...if so can i join your team of greatness?

laughing I'll send you a PM when I get to Hollywood stick out tongue

khfreak#1
smokin' hey thats that ya found a careerchoice already .go with it man !you were on my welcome thread so here i am!

mattador
Originally posted by khfreak#1
smokin' hey thats that ya found a careerchoice already .go with it man !you were on my welcome thread so here i am!

Thank you big grin

I have a little of my script written down. I decided that for my first short film, I would make a Kung-Fu Comedy, similar to Kung-Pow or Kung-Fu Hustle. Something small to get me started is what I need for the road ahead I think. yes

Mando
Originally posted by mattador

I have a little of my script written down. I decided that for my first short film, I would make a Kung-Fu Comedy, similar to Kung-Pow or Kung-Fu Hustle. Something small to get me started is what I need for the road ahead I think. yes

Personally I'm taking the high road. I already have short-film experience. So I'm just going to wait until after High school is over with. then straight to College. All I really need to worry about now, is my scripts, watching a lot of Documentaries, watch a lot of "how things were made" special features on DVD's, and keep my grades up.

mattador
Personally I'm taking the high road. I already have short-film experience. So I'm just going to wait until after High school is over with. then straight to College. All I really need to worry about now, is my scripts, watching a lot of Documentaries, watch a lot of "how things were made" special features on DVD's, and keep my grades up.

yes How many short-films have you made so far Mando?

Mando
Originally posted by mattador
yes How many short-films have you made so far Mando?

Let's see. I think I've made about 5 good fairly long comedies (5 min), and 3 SERIOUS 15 minute movies.

But there's not much I can do here. No volunteers, no one to work with. That's why I am in Drama.

Solo
Same here, I'm waiting until the time is right and send in a few of my screenplays into contests.

I try to hold myself back and not use any of my great ideas to film shorts upon. That'd be a waist.

I've filmed one comedy-short one year ago which went quite well, but was nothing spectacular either.

But don't listen to Dave Kodak, explosions have nothing to do with making a good film. All about the writing, and as long as you have some decent actors to back that up, you'll do very well.

mattador
This is the camera im using. It was lying around my house not being used so I decided to use this instead of buying a completely new one:

The Sony Digital-8 DCR-TRV820

http://www.dansdata.com/images/trv820e/trv820e170.jpg

roguegirl15
I suggest u hire me...or anywayz good luck

mattador
Originally posted by roguegirl15
I suggest u hire me...or anywayz good luck

Hire you for what?

noelluvspotter
Just do your best and take things calmly oh and i wish you good luck with that hope everything goes your way.

GCG
So here is my 20c contribution:

STEADICAM

You want to achieve the best possible shots.

You WILL achieve tha best possible shots.

So i will tell you how to make a $14.00 steadicam mount. This is to avoid those amateurish shakes you see in amateur films. Steadycams (or camera stabilizers) are attachments used to capture smooth looking video even when the camera and camera operator are in motion.

http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~johnny/steadycam/

DOLLYCAM.

A dolly is a cam mounted on a moving carriage. A cheap way to reproduce this is by mounting a cam on a wheelchair.

mattador
Originally posted by noelluvspotter
Just do your best and take things calmly oh and i wish you good luck with that hope everything goes your way.

Thanks smile

Snape>Dumbledor

Solo
That's unnecessary.

Susan-Storm
That is Just wrong..What is with him i can not go into one thread without seeing something that he posted like..THAT

Mando
Originally posted by Snape>Dumbledor
MAEK A ART FILM WITH THA GOATSE GUY IT WUD B SO HAWT LOLOL U WUD MAEK MILLIONS + zBAZILIONS ROFL HAX

Heh, im witty...

Honestly, Get a life. and why it is you have that material in your documents is beyond me. hell, whatever floats your boat. But please, do it in the privacy of your own home, not here. I'm not 100% on why you are doing this, maybe it is because you lack what we humans call a "life".

Leave this thread alone, It's a good thread. Or for that matter, leave the forums alone please.

Snape>Dumbledor

dave_kodak
im lost now, but so long as u send me that PM when u get there i'll be fine.

mattador
What the f**k? Has he been reported yet because he is about to be. mad

Mando
I've reported just about all of his posts, but it's not my choice on if the mods want to fix it or not.

Storm looks like she's doing some good, some of his posts say *edit* now.

mattador
I've reported just about all of his posts, but it's not my choice on if the mods want to fix it or not.

People like that are a disgrace to humanity no

mattador
Having trouble with the battery on my camera sad It looks like it's charging but it never HOLDS the charge mad

Solo
Get a new one, batteries never cost too much.

mattador
Thats what I was thinking...

dave_kodak
well, the batteries you use could be worth alot, its really all on what type you use, my grandpa has a very nice cam, and he got it brand new(this was 2years ago) and when he lost a battery, it was like $47 for a new one, but he just said "forget it" and he did so he just used the back up one that came with it, and now those batteries are like $15 they got real cheap, but who am i to comment on this thread i got lost way up there like 5 posts up.

dave_kodak
oh, it was 6 with out counting my post. sorry.

Konjammenson
I'm starting film school next semester. I'm pretty excited about it. Some friends and I have made several short movies that are, honestly, nothing to write home about. We are getting ready to start our first actual big project though. Still working out the budgeting and whatnot but it's going to be cool. My best friend and I have been working on the script. Good luck becoming a film maker; it's a competetive field but if you have the passion and determination you can make it.

Mando
thumb up

Good luck Konja

dave_kodak
yes, good luck, when your done this film, plz tell us about it.
and might i say, your name is very long

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.