Anakin vs. Obi-Wan

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

DrDoom101
I have a question ive been wondering about. If Obi-Wan is Anakin's master and mentor, why couldn't he easily defeat Anakin? He defeated anakin but not easily. He's Anakin's mentor for god's sake. Isn't one of the jobs of a master or teacher or instructor is to find the mistakes and weak points of their student or apprentice? If i were to fight my kung fu master, he'd murder me because he knows what im weak at. Same with my tennis teacher. So if Obi-Wan is a good master, why couldnt he take down Anakin easily? He knows his apprentice's weakness more than anyone else.

Ast
Because Anakin was much stronger than he was, the only thing that kept Anakin from killing Obi was Obi's knowledge of Anakin.

bobcrickett
Anakin was just more skilled than Kenobi. He was no longer Ben's apprentice, he was a full-fledged Knight, and he was more powerful, more skilled, and fought with a very offensive style, whereas Obi-Wan, whilst powerful and skilled himself, was not up to Anakin's level.

Plus, Anakin was using the Dark Side for power.

But, you're right, Ben did know Anakin's weaknesses better than anyone else. That's why he won.

DrDoom101
he could have sliced anakin when he leapt to the other side of the moving platform...

Morridini
Why would he do that? He was trying to reason with Anakin before having to kill him.

Ast
Dont base theories on mistakes in the choreography, every duel in every episode has moments like that.

DrDoom101
Originally posted by Morridini
Why would he do that? He was trying to reason with Anakin before having to kill him.

no, not the beginning, i meant when they were on the floating platform above the lave after they jumped off of that falling bridge thing. never mind, i cant explain it over kmc.

Ast
After the "end for you my master" line, when Anakin jumps over and lands behind Obi, Obi clearly has an opening.

But like I said, you shouldnt base theories off mistakes in the fight choreography.

Jedi Priestess
Originally posted by Ast
Because Anakin was much stronger than he was, the only thing that kept Anakin from killing Obi was Obi's knowledge of Anakin.

that's really all that need be said because it correct

bobcrickett
So much for my post. stick out tongue

Jedi Priestess
LOL Oh I didnt mean I didnt like your post hun. embarrasment

Alkaselzer
Let the blonde win. wink

And that's because brunettes don't drown you with valley girl accents and perfume when they lose...

bobcrickett
stick out tongue

Council#13
Anakin also knew Obi Wan's weaknesses

overlord
Originally posted by DrDoom101
I have a question ive been wondering about. If Obi-Wan is Anakin's master and mentor, why couldn't he easily defeat Anakin? He defeated anakin but not easily. He's Anakin's mentor for god's sake. Isn't one of the jobs of a master or teacher or instructor is to find the mistakes and weak points of their student or apprentice? If i were to fight my kung fu master, he'd murder me because he knows what im weak at. Same with my tennis teacher. So if Obi-Wan is a good master, why couldnt he take down Anakin easily? He knows his apprentice's weakness more than anyone else.
Because Obi Wan is a master at defence. Apperantly he can't really counter or anything.
Well.. Obi Wan sucks anyway, he was easily dispatched by Dooku who proved to be no match for Anakin.

Ushgarak
"Poor is the student who does not exceed his Master."

Mind you, Da Vinci said that. All very well for HIM; we can't all be geniuses in so many areas.

darthvader_fan
Originally posted by DrDoom101

you have a tennis teacher?

truejedi
I don't know, as far as the duels went, Obi Wan Handled Anakin. He got kicked in the face a few times, but it didn't seem like he came all that close to losing. Certainly not as close to losing as Palpatine did to Mace. He had one chance that was an extra scene to kill Anakin and passed it up, then he got another one. I think Obi Wan was better than Anakin, the whole time. Vader didn't even win a clear cut victory over Obi in A New Hope, Obi stops fighting.
I agree about the choreography, how about the moment when Palps could have just stabbed Mace after Mace comes around in a circle and Palps ducks. Mace seems to back away slowly, and Palps doesn't finish him. There seems to be moments in every duel when you think, why doesn't he just move his saber up or down and cut the guy in half.

Darth Vious
As everyone else has said, the differences in Anakin and Obi-Wan's fighting styles were what prolonged the fight. Anakin's form is one of overpowering the opponent, Obi-Wan's is one of defending and blocking all strikes until an opportunity to retaliate presents itself. The same as when he was fighting General Grievous, he simply blocked all the strikes against him, and when Grievous increased the speed of his attack to a level Obi-Wan couldn't successfully block, he let a strike through, but then severed the hand holding the lightsaber before it could decapitate him. Had that fight not been cut short by the Force Push and the arrival of the clones, Obi-Wan would most likely have continued to sever all Grievous' hands before killing him. His style is simply not one of dispatching an opponent quickly, this was again, truly the hare Vs the tortoise. And as mentioned, even as an older man, Obi-Wan was still capable of defending himself against Vader, but given their location (and the fact that Vader wouldn't try jumping over him again) he was unable to end the duel as he did the first time, or could have finished with Grievous (and that would also have got rid of Vader too soon in the storywink ) so as pointed out above, he simply stopped fighting, and gave himself over to the Force, Vader still did not actually beat him...

DrDoom101
Originally posted by darthvader_fan
you have a tennis teacher?

what does that have to do with anything? but yes, i take tennis lessons...

SpyCspider
hehe i think he was trying to imply that you have the potential to beat your tennis teacher one day....duels are analgous to that. You have off days or stuff that's bothering you, or you can be feeling awesome and defeat your teacher easily. Lots of factors involved.

I'm sure Sampras's coach loses to his student easily once Sampras became #1.

DrDoom101
well, i do occasionally play one-on-one with him, but he doesn't give his best. if he gave his best, i'd lose 10 seconds until the game. He just tried to adjust ot my level.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.