Error in space battle scene

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

General Bondius

Sir Mist
You have waaaay too much time on your hands.

And it was Coruscant, not earth. *slaps you for a silly mistake*

JKozzy
It's a movie. Obi-Wan and Anakin should've been instantly killed when Grievous made the glass explode into space at the bridge. It's a movie.

Ushgarak
My old saying comes to the fore here:

Star Wars and logic are poor bedfellows.

It's not an error, it is perfectly im keeping with the absurd mixed up science Star Wars always has, from ships making noise to fighters swooping into banks to vessels in space having maximum speeds.

The feel of it is way more important than the science.

Sir Mist
Originally posted by JKozzy
It's a movie. Obi-Wan and Anakin should've been instantly killed when Grievous made the glass explode into space at the bridge. It's a movie.

I hated that part the most of the whole space battle bit.

Ushgarak
I find it useful to imagine SW spaceships as being like giant airships, then the SW logic of their physics falls into place.

DarkYoda
I think they were already in Coruscant's atmosphere and were no longer in orbit.

Ast
Originally posted by DarkYoda
I think they were already in Coruscant's atmosphere and were no longer in orbit.

Yeah, they said something about that, they said they were excited to do all kinds of things you wouldnt see in space.

Barker

GCG
IF anyone read and listened to George Lucas. roll eyes (sarcastic)

General Bondius would have perfectly good arguments on:

Gravity in space
Smoke in space
Drag in Space
Fire in space

All these dont exist in real space but they neither do in the film. GL specifically stated that the space battle does not take place in Space, but in the higher parts of the atmosphere. Thats why we have the drag on the buzz droids, smoke, fire and the gravity.

amity75
On the commentery it's mentioned that they're battling in the upper atmosphere of the planet and not actual space. That's why the missiles and ships have drag etc. Sorry to be a smarty pants happy

Jack O'Neil

nuwine200419
ok i dont remember where i heard this but......Rick said the Space battle is right on top of Coruscant....which means its not like any other starwars battle.....so obviously the Gravity and stuff will be much different than if they were in deep space...

nuwine200419
sooo.....there would be gravity because the ships are really close to the planet.

chinabing
Obi-Wan and Anakin should've been instantly killed when Grievous made the glass explode into space at the bridge.
However, Anakin and Obi-Wan are Jedi with fast reactions, so they were able to reach the railing in time.

nuwine200419
Very true

sauro123456
About this error you are talking about. IF to BE HONEST SOUND CAN NOT TRAVEL IN SPACE,THAT'S WHY WE WOULDN'T EVEN HEAR ANYTHING IN REAL LIFE.AUSTRAUNATS CAN TALK IN SPACE ONLY BECAUSE THEY HAVE SUITS FILLED WITH AIR. AND THERE SHOULD BE NO SMOKE IN SPACE IETHER,BECAUSE THERE IS NO ATMOSPHERE,BUT THERE IS IN THE MOVIE. IF EVERYTHING WAS REAL IT WOULDN'T BE FUN TO WATCH, SO RELAX AND JUST ENJOY!

DeVi| D0do
Ya know, most people wont even bother trying to read something that's completely in capitals. Moron.

Count_Pipe
I Know all this Problem than a Human have in the Space...

But...

Is Star Wars, NOT the Reality...

Ushgarak
Besides, saying that would have been instantly killed when the window blew is just as bad science.

bobcrickett
Would they be instantly killed, though? I don't know much about vacuum and lack of oxygen. confused

Obi-Wan
Maybe its is but attack demage gravity generator.

JKozzy
The cold of space, I'm pretty sure...

Though if it was in the atmosphere of Coruscant, then maybe not.

Sesse
lol. The only way a perso is going to lose his body temperature in space is through radiating it. The heat won't conduct from you, since there is no other substance there except you. And heat transfers pretty poorly through radiation. So you would blow up due to lack of pressure sooner than you would freeze to death, which would take minutes?

Ushgarak
Yup, Sesse has that on the nail there- you would keep your heat for quite some time. And depressurisation isn't the insta-kill people make it out to be eithe (and we know that for a fact because there have been zero-pressure accidents in training over time).

In fact, you probably have a good half a minute before you have suffered irreperable damage, probably from pressure imbalance, though going that long without oxygen isn't healthy either, and the saliva on your tongue would start boiling. You probably pass out then as well.

So, err, yeah, about 30 seconds.

Lana
I remember learning about what would happen to someone out in space without a suit or something in my physics class. It's not pretty. If I remember right, the main thing that'd kill you is that the depressurization would cause your blood to boil, and yeah, 30 seconds is about right.

Not to mention things like your eyeballs popping out and stuff....it's all pretty gruesome.

Lightning_Count
Everyone who said the battle was in the upper atmosphere is Correct!

Even if it was out of the planets atmosphere the planet was still there, close by and would obviously have a gravitational effect on anything not producing its own gravity to counter the planets one.

Discovery Science you muppet, i suggest you watch it!

SS_181st_Snow
Well, the upper atmosphere makes sense, because if they were truly in space, then Grevious would've died too, even tho he's 97% machine, he still has his lungs and such..

Ken Kenobi
Originally posted by Lana
I remember learning about what would happen to someone out in space without a suit or something in my physics class. It's not pretty. If I remember right, the main thing that'd kill you is that the depressurization would cause your blood to boil, and yeah, 30 seconds is about right.

Not to mention things like your eyeballs popping out and stuff....it's all pretty gruesome.

At least you wouldn't have to see all the gruesome stuff happening. stick out tongue

Da preacher
What i also think is very stupid:
In the Dooku duel there's a glass wall.
You see the war going on around it.
Like no shots hit the glass, c'mon.
U see the fighters pass the window firin'.

It woulda already have shot to pieces and the abscense of oxygen in space would have killed the Chancellor instantly or he would have been pushed outra the window by the pressure of the air.

Paranoid Pyro
Shields.

darthmaul1
Who gives a rats ass it's science fantasy.
it was in the upper atmosphere.

overlord
Yeah, I will go with that also. It explains quite a bit of potential errors.

Insomnia
One thing I don't understand is that when the ship tilts downward, these panels hinge around and deflect the thrust. This doesn't produce reverse thrust, at least not in space and low atmosphere... What was the idea with that? The flames will curve around and push against something?

That scene just jumbled all my physics to hell. Just turn off those engines.

Also, I think, but am not sure, that the weightlessness in above-atmosphere space travel is due to the ship being in orbit- traveling around 18,000 miles per hour. This is like a constant free-fall, because the ship is still being acted on by relatively the same amount of gravity, but the curve of its decent is equal to the curvature of the earth. Objects can only orbit earth in space because there is no air resistance, which would burn a ship going such speeds.

So these ships are not in orbit, they're just really really high, and must have reverse thrusters to stay there. This explains why gravity is still normal on board the ship.

Of course, it is possible to have the ships in the battle all be traveling a couple thousand miles per hour in one direction, and make their intended battlefield movements in addition. After all, they're doing the same thing by being still above the planet, because they are in free-fall around the sun. But there are so many problems with the movie if that's the case; that they're in orbit.

Bicnarok
corusants core has more mass than earths hence stronger gravity.

the ship is quite advanced, using air pressure to combat the vacuum, and everyone and thing fell downwards because there was gravity on the ship, not much but it was obviously there.

no one got any imagination any more or what

overlord
Anyone can speculate, but we choose not to..
(Except killer cool noobs of course)

maifoshis
ships have things called inertial compensators inside maybe they could have failed

OB1-adobe
A. Your a dork

B. Its a movie

C. They even explained in the commentary that they figured that the battle would be taking place in the upper atmosphere of Corusant. Thats why there is smoke trails, and some senses of gravity.

Insomnia
Originally posted by OB1-adobe
Thats why there is smoke trails, and some senses of gravity.

Ok, seriously. Gravity is practically the same above atmosphere and below it. Weightlessness is caused by continuous freefall, or orbit, at such distances. If gravity were just eliminated outside the atmosphere, moons wouldn't exist.

These ships obviously are pushing back on gravity with the same force it is pulling on them, making them seem free of it. This is why the ships tend to all fly in an upright position throughout the scene. Only in the case of fighters do they do flips and such.

Not "some senses of gravity", most senses of gravity.

Tangible God
I made a thread on this in the EU section a few weeks ago, but my question remained unanswered.

But Ush is right, SW and logic DON'T mix.

starwarsrules14
I hate to inform everyone but, Star Wars isn't real sad

They fall back to Coruscant because George wanted it that way.

B-Mace
Here is your answer.
imagine.gsfc.nasa.gov/ docs/ask_astro/answers/970603.html

Lana
Originally posted by Tangible God
I made a thread on this in the EU section a few weeks ago, but my question remained unanswered.

But Ush is right, SW and logic DON'T mix.

Unless it's Star Wars logic. Which isn't very logical.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.