Spider-sense

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

XerxesLogan
Why whenever I see a bord with Spidey on it in this forum It always comes down to spidey senses in a fight. Just because he knows its coming doesn't mean he can dodge or react fast enough. I love Spidey don't get me wrong but this is insane. I see people bringing up secret war and all this other conveluted BS in defence of this paticular power....it's no different than Claremont saying Wolvie can regenerate from a drop of blood.......it just doesn't make sence in comparison with the norm. he has been hit before and will be hit again.....it is an impressive ability in a fight but by no means as flawless as some seem. He can still me fooled into a strike, he sometimes (albit rarely) can't dodge fast enought.

MERCILOUS
This is a very good point Xerxes, however, this is the vs. forum, and you might find your thread moved or locked.

I do have an answer for you though, It's a dirty word I try not to throw around to often called "spidey-fanboylove". A dirty dirty word indeed.

Don't even try proving that spidey can be hit, because the fanboys will not leave you alone, learn from the mistakes of others such as myself be the better man and leave the deluded fanboys be.

You might also try the off topic thread inside the versus forum.

jinzin
yup... sad but true..

spidey-sense replaces common sense around these parts.

TwisterGameX
Sorry guys it's either the Spidersense or his train shooting web shooters.

MERCILOUS
Originally posted by TwisterGameX
Sorry guys it's either the Spidersense or his train shooting web shooters.

HAHAHAHAHAH. Can't forget about the webshooters, forged at the eight feet of the spider god by arachnos the blackwidow smith.

Swanky-Tuna
Train shooting webshooters? Wtf?

And yeah, you should follow Mercilous' example of leaving the Spiderman threads alone by getting into every single Spiderman thread. Ever.

MERCILOUS
Originally posted by Swanky-Tuna
Train shooting webshooters? Wtf?

And yeah, you should follow Mercilous' example of leaving the Spiderman threads alone by getting into every single Spiderman thread. Ever.

I said to learn from my mistakes, not do as I do.

Just because I don't learn from my mistakes doesn't mean that others shouldn't either.

Swanky-Tuna
Originally posted by MERCILOUS
I said to learn from my mistakes, not do as I do.

Just because I don't learn from my mistakes doesn't mean that others shouldn't either.
You know what you should learn from? This delicious stone soup.

MERCILOUS
You know what you should learn from? This delicious stone soup.

Blast you! But it's about time I come clean, the stone, is not a stone at all, rather, it is a petrified turd. I'm sorry.

Swanky-Tuna
Excellent, I am a turdmonger.

MERCILOUS
Oh then it works out for everyone...except me! Damn you! Give me my turd back!

Mindship
Spider-sense, I fear, has proved to be a very useful plot device perhaps more than anything else. When the story needs Spidey to dodge, he dodges; when the story needs Spidey to get hit, he gets hit. More realistically, it should be consistent one way or the other (probably toward the former), but the real kicker is below...

...Spider-sense has been described as a kind of precognitive ability. I suppose when Spider-man was created, Stan Lee didn't know any better (and maybe scientists didn't either, back in the early 1960s), but the fact of the matter is this: spiders (specifically, those alert lil' jumping spiders) know when something is sneaking up on them because They Have Eight Eyes!. They have Excellent, nigh-all-around vision. Psychic ability need not apply.

And btw, for what it is worth, Spider-man is hardly the only hero where power limits have been dictated by plot.

MERCILOUS
Originally posted by Mindship
Spider-sense, I fear, has proved to be a very useful plot device perhaps more than anything else. When the story needs Spidey to dodge, he dodges; when the story needs Spidey to get hit, he gets hit. More realistically, it should be consistent one way or the other (probably toward the former), but the real kicker is below...

...Spider-sense has been described as a kind of precognitive ability. I suppose when Spider-man was created, Stan Lee didn't know any better (and maybe scientists didn't either, back in the early 1960s), but the fact of the matter is this: spiders (specifically, those alert lil' jumping spiders) know when something is sneaking up on them because They Have Eight Eyes!. They have Excellent, nigh-all-around vision. Psychic ability need not apply.

And btw, for what it is worth, Spider-man is hardly the only hero where power limits have been dictated by plot.

Nah, they knew, but who wants to root for a guy with eight eyes? Not very marketable if you ask me.

You think it's a plot device everytime Spidey gets hit? That's what you said so you might want to go over that in your head again.

Mindship
You think it's a plot device everytime Spidey gets hit? That's what you said so you might want to go over that in your head again.

I'm guessing you disagree. Well, it's been a long time since I was a Spidey fan and read his stuff, but I do recall there were times I was thinking, "Hey, he shoulda seen that coming!" but didn't. It's not strictly a plot device, but again (and DC is notorious for this, IMO) a hero's powers are sometimes tweaked so that certain events can occur.

Swanky-Tuna
I don't think the eyes help that much. I think their sense of touch is just so great that they can detect changes in the air currents. Like flies.

MERCILOUS
Well, I can see that if they give no explanation, but Spidey-sense is not perfect. It is not infallable. And it's certainly not full-proof. I personally don't remember any instance where spidey "didn't see it coming" he just can't dodge them all is all.

MERCILOUS
I don't think the eyes help that much. I think their sense of touch is just so great that they can detect changes in the air currents. Like flies.

Nah it's the eyes.

chilled monkey
Nah it's the eyes.

Actually you're both right. Most spiders do have eight eyes (all-around vision) and they are also covered in tiny hairs that are highly sensitive to changes in air pressure. It's both.

Arahan
lol

Jin, Merc, Twister....

DarkCrawler
Spider-Sense to Spiderfanboys is like Wolverines durability, healing factor and gravity-defying powers to Wolverinefanboys.

Both are overrated. Spider-Man can be hit, that's true. And Wolverine can be killed.

DigiMark007
He's often mid-air with no chance to maneuver when he gets hit.

Yes, he can be hit, and has been hit many times by numerous foes. But for every punch he takes, there's at least five or six instances of him dodging multiple bullets, energy blasts, or punches. Early on everyone hit him. Nowadays it requires an incredibly quick opponent or a plot device (often a person in danger) for him to be hit. He's gone multiple fights without being touched.

So it's both less powerful than the fanboys would think, and more powerful than the dissenters want to believe.

I'm starting a Spidey Respect thread soon (with tons of scans). That should reinforce some of my points.

Metalmanx
Originally posted by DigiMark007
He's often mid-air with no chance to maneuver when he gets hit.

Yes, he can be hit, and has been hit many times by numerous foes. But for every punch he takes, there's at least five or six instances of him dodging multiple bullets, energy blasts, or punches. Early on everyone hit him. Nowadays it requires an incredibly quick opponent or a plot device (often a person in danger) for him to be hit. He's gone multiple fights without being touched.

So it's both less powerful than the fanboys would think, and more powerful than the dissenters want to believe.

I'm starting a Spidey Respect thread soon (with tons of scans). That should reinforce some of my points.

Look forward to it.

Scoobless

I watch nature documentaries a lot.... i watched one about spiders and there was this one spider (can't remember which type) that has, for millions of years, hunted in this way:

it makes itself a hole in the ground to hide in,
goes and collects pieces of quartz to surround that hole with
remains in contact with the quartz
when anything touches the opposite side of the rock the spider can tell what it is.... they did experiments, it was pretty cool.... when an insect touched it the spider was over that rock faster than you can blink, when it was the scientist dudes using something else to touch the rock it just stayed in it's hideout

also, regular garden spiders make webs and hide (fairly similar hunting technique) they hide at one point where the webbing is attached to the tree (or whatever) when anything touches their web they can, again, tell if it's something they prey on or anything else

they have an incredible sense of touch.... but recently the Ezekiel stories have pointed the origins of Pete's powers, spider sense included, to being of a more mystical origin

Swanky-Tuna
Originally posted by Scoobless
I watch nature documentaries a lot....
They just suck you in don't they? I always land on them and immediately think "BORING!" but then end up watching an hour long show about platypus poison or something.

Mystic?! All bets are off.

Metalmanx
Agreed.

TwisterGameX
It's not like Spiderman doesn't get enougfh respect around here. Remember this is Spidey that kills people with one punch, pulls trains and cars out his ass, switches to webshooters and organics at will, magical walls always have to be around, he dodges everything.

Anyway I new some spidey fan had to bring wolverine in this...I just new it..thy couldn't resist..could they.

Scoobless
It's not like Spiderman doesn't get enougfh respect around here. Remember this is Spidey that kills people with one punch, pulls trains and cars out his ass, switches to webshooters and organics at will, magical walls always have to be around, he dodges everything.

did Spider-Man dump you or something?

roll eyes (sarcastic)

TwisterGameX
did Spider-Man dump you or something?

roll eyes (sarcastic)

roll eyes (sarcastic) is spidey your God ?

Arahan
I alwyas assumed that his spider sense is some wy of mystical power.
Because there was no other expanation to me how it could work.
He has not 8 eyes or a hyper "daredevil" like touch sense.

Hmm spidey can lift cars and can kill "normal" people with one punch.
He is a good dodger but he surely cant dodge everything.

DarkCrawler

Anyway I new some spidey fan had to bring wolverine in this...I just new it..thy couldn't resist..could they.

And you obviously aren't Spider-Man hater.

Arahan
Twister doesnt like Spidey because when he made the Solid Snake vs Spidey thread everyone was backing up spidey and not snake....
thats just my assumption.

TwisterGameX
Originally posted by Arahan
I alwyas assumed that his spider sense is some wy of mystical power.
Because there was no other expanation to me how it could work.
He has not 8 eyes or a hyper "daredevil" like touch sense.

Hmm spidey can lift cars and can kill "normal" people with one punch.
He is a good dodger but he surely cant dodge everything.

I had some one argue with me which i don't remember who it is but they said wolverine dies with one punch to the head..

Anyway every spidey thread a spidey guy must bring in or compare him to wolverine, I swear they made it a hobby to hate that gut, but when I disagree with a spidey guy they say wolverine fanboy and you hate spidey roll eyes (sarcastic) I probably have more spiderman comics(which are the first comics I collected) than half the spiderman supporters and half of them don't even show proof of anything because I doubt they have the comics. I like spiderman more than wolverine...yes believe me or not.

TwisterGameX
Originally posted by DarkCrawler
And you obviously aren't Spider-Man hater.

roll eyes (sarcastic) see what I mean.

I disagree with spidey so I must hate the guy when hes like my favorite characters. Unless you were not being sarcastic on hat you just said roll eyes (sarcastic)

DarkCrawler
roll eyes (sarcastic) see what I mean.

I disagree with spidey so I must hate the guy when hes like my favorite characters. Unless you were not being sarcastic on hat you just said roll eyes (sarcastic)

When someone writes something like this, it usually means that they don't like Spider-Man very much...

But now I see that you like Spider-Man...I apologize.

TwisterGameX
When someone writes something like this, it usually means that they don't like Spider-Man very much...

If it makes you feel better...I hate spiderman no expression

You know the spiderman fans say that stuff...it's likewhen you hear wolverine people say he regenerates from a single cell....don't you get mad ? does it mean you hate wolverine ?

Arahan
lol kicking in the balls.

ehm okay how about we forget this discussion, take our girl firends spent some time, make love or just sleep.

Guys this is so pointless we are talking about beings which were drawn...
there just comics, to argue about character X can this character Y can this is mostly pointless. The writers decide if spidey can dodge everything or can kicked by a fat lady. Or if Wolverine can kick Hulks ass or get beaten by some ninjas.

Scoobless
I disagree with spidey so I must hate the guy

and because I disagree with you you think that Spider-man is my god?

talk about hypocritical

roll eyes (sarcastic) is spidey your God ?

no

Wolverine gets mentioned once and you pick up on it and mention it in at least two more posts...... while also complaining that Wolverine gets mentioned too much in Spidey threads

roll eyes (sarcastic)

TwisterGameX
and because I disagree with you you think that Spider-man is my god?

talk about hypocritical

no

Wolverine gets mentioned once and you pick up on it and mention it in at least two more posts...... while also complaining that Wolverine gets mentioned too much in Spidey threads

roll eyes (sarcastic)

Just playing your game roll eyes (sarcastic) when you guys do it you don't see it but when anyone that defended wolverine says anything then it's wrong roll eyes (sarcastic)

I will leave your spidey alone guys, it's ok. Now just think before you make 80 wolverine hate threads and alwasyy exaggerate what people say about wolverine..now you know how it feels.

Scoobless
Originally posted by Arahan
Guys this is so pointless we are talking about beings which were drawn...
there just comics, to argue about character X can this character Y can this is mostly pointless. The writers decide if spidey can dodge everything or can kicked by a fat lady. Or if Wolverine can kick Hulks ass or get beaten by some ninjas.

you do realise you've stumbled into the COMIC BOOK Versus Forum..... right?

arguing is the whole point

yes

Arahan
But some guys take this too serious. They defending their heroes like hardcore elvis fans. It is okay to discuss but sometimes it is getting ridicilous....

Swanky-Tuna
What is all this talk about Spiderman creating mass transit vehicles out of thin air? I've never heard anybody say that before.

who?-kid
Spider-Sense to Spiderfanboys is like Wolverines durability, healing factor and gravity-defying powers to Wolverinefanboys.

Both are overrated. Spider-Man can be hit, that's true. And Wolverine can be killed.
Wise words.

Spider-sense isn't perfect. But in most cases, it works just fine.

Wolverine is one tough, fast healing mother. But he can be killed.

Creshosk
What is all this talk about Spiderman creating mass transit vehicles out of thin air? I've never heard anybody say that before. In another thread someone said that Spididerman could throw a train at the other person.

Automatically assuming that there would be a train to throw, or pulling the train that wasn't automatically there out of his ass.

And appearently the side opposing Spiderman was handicapping and giving disadvantages to Spiderman by not automatically giving Spiderman the environmental advantage of what ever he happened to need, be it skyscrappers and cars, trains and even a plentiful source of water.

Makes no sense to me how not giving him the advantage is the same as giving him a disadvantage or handicapping him.

Swanky-Tuna
That is kind of lame. That's why sometimes I just stop visiting the threads of characters I like so I don't become bitter and rockless like Mercilous.

Scoobless
Throwing a train???...... lol.... maybe they mixed up Spider-Man with Superman... at best i've seen him lift a train car over his head (and i think part of the next car that was attached lifted as well)... but not chuck one any significant distance

who?-kid
Not exactly throwing a train, was more like this:

Scoobless
Originally posted by who?-kid

^ that's the one i was talking about

smile

8bitChris
Ladies ladies, calm down with all that sassafrass.

We all know Spiderman would chump Wolverine when written right.

Logan schmogan.

Mindship
Originally posted by who?-kid

I just did a lil' google search on how much a passenger-train car weighs. Spider-Man (w/o breaking a sweat or straining, apparently) is lifting anywhere from 53 to 86 tons above his head.

You go, webhead. flex

Scoobless
I just did a lil' google search on how much a passenger-train car weighs. Spider-Man (w/o breaking a sweat or straining, apparently) is lifting anywhere from 53 to 86 tons above his head.

You go, webhead. flex

well he was really pissed off at that time

embarrasment

Creshosk
So I guess it was PIS then huh?

DigiMark007
His "limit" is hardly 15 tons....we've seen it multiple times. If I was ever home (where all my stuff was saved) I could be getting to that respect thread faster and showing more instances like that.

He's usually pissed when something like that happens, but he's definitely been shown to be capable of feats like that more than once.

Scoobless

You go, webhead. flex

i just did my own google search... seems you're right... for train cars made back in the forties:

http://www.railwaystation.com/1942/04.html

more modern train cars weigh considerably less, one shown here weighs 13,500 lbs = 6.75 tons:

http://www.ecotopia.com/ulr/lrhist.htm

"The first use of stainless steel in mass transit equipment was the Budd-Micheline light-weight car built in 1932. Instead of weighing 130,000 to 240,000 pounds, which was typical for cars in those days, the all-stainless Budd car tipped the scales at 13,500 pounds"

so one and a half rail-cars should be well within his regular power limits

jinzin
i just did my own google search... seems you're right... for train cars made back in the forties:

http://www.railwaystation.com/1942/04.html

more modern train cars weigh considerably less, one shown here weighs 13,500 lbs = 6.75 tons:

http://www.ecotopia.com/ulr/lrhist.htm

"The first use of stainless steel in mass transit equipment was the Budd-Micheline light-weight car built in 1932. Instead of weighing 130,000 to 240,000 pounds, which was typical for cars in those days, the all-stainless Budd car tipped the scales at 13,500 pounds"

so one and a half railcars should be well within his regular power limits
yeah I was gonna say that but I didn't have any evidence I could post for proof and no-one ever just takes my word for it..

good work.

Mindship
Originally posted by jinzin
yeah I was gonna say that but I didn't have any evidence I could post for proof and no-one ever just takes my word for it..

good work.

I stand corrected cry
Back in the corner, Spidey

Vegetto
Hehe in the 4th bubble of his rant I thought it said "DC want to see what Spider-man is really capable of?". I was all ready to call it a crap pic until I enlarged the shot and my screen and the "DC" turned to "DO" blushing

DarkCrawler
Originally posted by jinzin

good work.

Nice sig. big grin

MERCILOUS
Originally posted by Doctor-Alvis
That is kind of lame. That's why sometimes I just stop visiting the threads of characters I like so I don't become bitter and rockless like Mercilous.

I'm only bitter cause you have my rock, damnit swank, where are you and where's my stone!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.