Superman Returns trailer revealed..

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

FistOfThe North
I saw it tonight on while watching "Smallville". It came as a surprise because it just popped outta no where, I freaked. Still haveing a hard time with the new guy but we'll see. Jol El was talking the whole time..

I liked the part where dozens of people just stood looking "up at the sky"

Ultimate Hulk43
They had said that they were showing the trailer earlier in the week on a commercial on the WB channel.Anyway,it was great but they could've had Brandon Routh talk.Other than that,it was a great trailer and I'm looking forward to the movie.

FistOfThe North
Originally posted by Ultimate Hulk43
They had said that they were showing the trailer earlier in the week on a commercial on the WB channel.Anyway,it was great but they could've had Brandon Routh talk.Other than that,it was a great trailer and I'm looking forward to the movie.

Well, i don't really watch TV by choice, anyway. And thats besides the fact that i have work and school practically all day everyday, well 5 days. I only watch "Smallville" and local and world news.

Routh talking would've been cool, But i like Hopkins a.k.a. Jor El talking, he said something but I bet it was powerful, i didnt even really listen to him just his voice cause I was so into watching the trailer and Superman.

But I did manage to hear Jor-El say something like "I give my only son" something like that...lol aw maan this movies gonna own..I like X-men and pt 3 will probably be nice, but Superman Returns might smack it hard.

Jedi Shmedi
Yeah I knew about the trailer ahead of time as well, but anyway I thought it was freakin amazing. Especially where- like you said- everyone was looking up in the sky. I also loved the part where he flew above the clouds right infront of the sun, simply beautiful. I am now a million times more excited for SR than ever before big grin

Ultimate Hulk43
That was Marlon Brando talking and they were using lines from Superman:The Movie since this movie takes place after the Superman II movie.

FistOfThe North
That was Marlon Brando talking and they were using lines from Superman:The Movie since this movie takes place after the Superman II movie.

You sure? Because wasn't Hopkins suppose to be Jor El? It did kinda sound like Marlon Brando, but it kinda sounded like Anthony Hopkins too. And I even heard something about using Brandon's archival footage as well.

Ultimate Hulk43
No,it was Jor-El and they're going to use the footage from Donner's Superman II that was never used.No one is playing Jor-El,they're just using Marlon Brando's old footage from Donner's Superman II.

tlbauerle
It's Brando...Singer is using clips and cut scenes from the Richard Donner film and sequel.

Direct Link to the trailer...

http://raincloud.warnerbros.com/wbmovies/supermanreturns/teaser/teaser_hi.mov

The offical site is: http://supermanreturns.warnerbros.com

FistOfThe North
No,it was Jor-El and they're going to use the footage from Donner's Superman II that was never used.No one is playing Jor-El,they're just using Marlon Brando's old footage from Donner's Superman II.

I see. I could've sworn there was something about Anthony Hopkins being in the movie, oh well.

I like the part, in the Trailer, when Superman was slowly walking up to, I think, Lois lane up on that roof top, lol

I think i may get used to his burgundy Cape colors sooner that later.

Mindship
Y'know, I hate to admit it, but after seeing the trailer, maybe, just maybe, this movie will be good after all.

Ultimate Hulk43
If there was anything about this guy being Jor-El,it was a rumor created by an idiotic fan.

FistOfThe North
If there was anything about this guy being Jor-El,it was a rumor created by an idiotic fan.

Actually, Anthony Hopkins would make a bad Jor-El after all, if you really think about it.

I dunno what Superman was doing 70 miles up in the air in space, either praying or regenerating or recharging but he flew down towards, what I think was Metropolis, but how can that be? The trailer showed a coastal city from space that Supes flew into and isn't metropolis in Kansas Maybe he's fighting crime there too, he was always everywhere after all.

I'm amped. This will be the Uber comic movies of all movie of all time.

Jedi Shmedi
It's true Anthony Hopkins was actually signed on to play Jor-El.......5 years ago lol. Wizard magazine had a whole article about "The New Superman Movie"
But that was wayu before Singer, or even Brett Ratner were even considered as director. Hopkins dropped because the movie wasn't making any progress. (Keep in mind this was back when they were going to start the series over, then bryan Singer came along and showed them the light....)

SpyCspider
do you guys know if they're keeping the same theme? i don't think i can ever get used to a new Superman theme....

OH and the beginning of the trailer was eerily similar to the beginning of Batman Begins (kid falls thru and drops except the former probably finds out he can't be hurt or he floats...and the latter gets freaked out by bats)

Draco69
I loved the trailer. It's just that damn costume. It's really bothering me. And they kinda jacked up the emblem. They messed with the emblem and made it look like brandname for a children's toy.

But otherwise the trailer rocked. Hopefully, I can get over the costume....

eleveninches
Originally posted by FistOfThe North
Actually, Anthony Hopkins would make a bad Jor-El after all, if you really think about it.

I dunno what Superman was doing 70 miles up in the air in space, either praying or regenerating or recharging but he flew down towards, what I think was Metropolis, but how can that be? The trailer showed a coastal city from space that Supes flew into and isn't metropolis in Kansas Maybe he's fighting crime there too, he was always everywhere after all.

I'm amped. This will be the Uber comic movies of all movie of all time. No, Metropolis is in Washington DC

eleveninches
see here:

Arahan
Hmm nice trailer. I dont like the actor and the costume....but looking at trailer. It could be indeed a good movie.

FistOfThe North
Originally posted by eleveninches
No, Metropolis is in Washington DC

But in "Smallville", Metropolis is in Kansas. I remember Clark and Lana looking at a far away Metropolis from atop a windmill on the outskirts of Smallville, and Smallville is in Kansas, right?

And isn't Smallville in Kansas in the comics too?

Ultimate Hulk43
I love the new costume and I think Brandon Routh will be a great Clark Kent/Superman.

tlbauerle
But in "Smallville", Metropolis is in Kansas. I remember Clark and Lana looking at a far away Metropolis from atop a windmill on the outskirts of Smallville, and Smallville is in Kansas, right?

And isn't Smallville in Kansas in the comics too?

Never, ever again claim that Smallville is a source of Superman continuity.

mad

tyr121

Jedi Shmedi
Originally posted by SpyCspider
do you guys know if they're keeping the same theme? i don't think i can ever get used to a new Superman theme....

OH and the beginning of the trailer was eerily similar to the beginning of Batman Begins (kid falls thru and drops except the former probably finds out he can't be hurt or he floats...and the latter gets freaked out by bats)

Yep, Bryan Singer confirmed they'll be using the classic John Williams theme, but aside from that most of the soundtrack will be original.

Jedi Shmedi

mattador
Looks okay erm

Hegemon875
No, Metropolis is in Washington DC

you mean maryland dont you..

random task
sweet!

ash007
i loved it man the best thing i found about the Teaser was when everyone is looking up at the sky. That scene blows me away.

Can't wait for the film

watch it http://www.bluetights.net/

In "Smallville", the WB show, Metropolis is in Kansas, but it had to be to keep all the characters close to "Smallville", the town where most of the episodes take place, but to show a little growth they are in Metropolis from time to time. More and more as of recently.

In Superman, "Metrpolis" is actually New York, or better yet, a version of New York. Kinda like how Gotham City is Batman's New York. Pretty much Metropolis and Gotham are fictional New Yorks. They are both Island Citys, just like New York.

As far as the costume is concerned, that is actually very close to the original version of the creators vision of the costume. Theose are the people who created Superman himself, so Singer is taking a bunch of Sh... for doing something right. Funny, he took a bunch of Sh... for letting the X-men wear black leather instead of yellow leotards, and now he takes Sh... for keeping the original. Bryan, you just can't win...LOL...I think it all looks cool. And Brandon Routh is going to be a good Superman paying homage to the great late Reeve. And Marlon Brando as Jor-El! You have to respect that. Superman could wear a polka dot suit for all I care if Brando is still Jor-El.

((The_Anomaly))
I agree, the trailer was AMAZING!

and i guarantee you that when everyone sees this movie no one will care about the costume.

tlbauerle
Originally posted by 420
In "Smallville", the WB show, Metropolis is in Kansas, but it had to be to keep all the characters close to "Smallville", the town where most of the episodes take place, but to show a little growth they are in Metropolis from time to time. More and more as of recently.

That's because "Smallville" is the worst show on the planet. Well, almost.

Originally posted by 420
In Superman, "Metrpolis" is actually New York, or better yet, a version of New York. Kinda like how Gotham City is Batman's New York. Pretty much Metropolis and Gotham are fictional New Yorks. They are both Island Citys, just like New York.

I always thought Gotham was more like Chicago than anything.

((The_Anomaly))
Smallville rules man, its the best show on TV at the moment anyways...

tlbauerle
Originally posted by ((The_Anomaly))
Smallville rules man, its the best show on TV at the moment anyways...

no...no,no....no,no,no. no.

FistOfThe North
Originally posted by tlbauerle
Never, ever again claim that Smallville is a source of Superman continuity.

mad

cool

The show, ok. But Smallville is definetely in the comics and it's in Kansas, if you really read what I wrote i said that.

Of course I don't use "Smallville" the Show as a source..

FistOfThe North
Originally posted by Jedi Shmedi
By the way, they didn't change the suit at all.

Actually, they did. The "S" emblem, i noticed, is now on his belt buckle.

And the "S" on his chest is a bit higher than I've ever seen it on any Superman.

The cape along with any other red is a velvety/burgundy color.

What I don't like is dude's body. He's mad skinny. Superman is built.

He still looks young as hell. Right now, Routh could easily play young "Clark Kent" in "Smallville",.. as oppose to Reeve. Reeve looked the "Superman" part cause he looked mature. Routh doesn't look mature. Imagine a "Superman II; Reeve" as a young Clark Kent in Smallville. You can't. And thats how it should be with Routh.

He does look kinda convincing as "C. Kent, the Journalist", I'll admit.

FistOfThe North

((The_Anomaly))
agreed stick out tongue smile

ZephroCarnelian
You've just gotta think to yourself when you watch that trailer:

What are they looking at?? Whatever it is, it's not moving.... It's gotta be him, floating there above Metropolis, just to let everyone know that he's back... that's he's here for good and he's not gonna let anything bad happen to them again...

This movie is going to be awesome...

And now I've seen him moving, Routh DOES and I repeat DOES look the part... he might not be Reeve (no-one ever will...) but he looks serious and determined, just as Superman should....

I hope this movie reignites the Superman fanbase. smile

Then my pre-c comics'll be worth a mint! big grin

This movie is going to be truly amazing...

And did anyone notice the way the Brando voiceover is playing on the Christian theme? "That's why I'm sending them you, my only son...."

Amazing stuff.... I can't wait....

Gaz

Jedi Shmedi
Personally, I define "change" as in they did something to the costume that was never ever done in the comics. As far as I know, the only thing they changed was raising the S (is it really THAT big of a deal people?)

Yes the S is smaller, but the S has been small in the comics (hell it was small in 1938) So they didn't change it in that aspect. Yes the colors are darker, but the colors have been dark in the comics (look at the Ed McGuinness comics after 9/11) And I also know that there have been a few interpretations of Supes where he did actually have the S on his belt. Not many, but there were some.

You also have to look at it from a different points of view. A ten year-old won't care about the costume, it's freakin Superman, who every kid WANTS to be. As far as I know, everyone who looks at the costume won't say "Who the hell is that?" They'll say "That's Superman" Some of you are acting like no one will be able to recognize him because they chose to go with the version of the suit from the comics with the closed-collar, smaller S, Smaller boots, darker colors, smaller underoos (I can't even believe some of you are complaining about that) and the S on the belt. But the fact of the matter is, They WILL.

Fist, I agree with you all the way, but I refuse to believe they "changed" the costume.

tyr121
look, the emblem is the worst trouble. I can deal with the colours meaning superman is darker and meaner, but that damned emblem is too small. Im sure the first time you saw routh as superman, thinked, wtf?, because the damn superman s is too f..king small.
Besides, when superman started is was drawn in a very rough way that wouldnt be acceptable today. The suit has modernized with time but always mantaining a certain consistency. The fleischer cartoons, despite being classic today, dont depict superman as we now recognize it. the look is just too diferent.

Reeves emblem wasnt perfect. but it was ok, no one complained about it.
Singer is just trying to change too much, too quickly.

PD: Look at rout dressed as superman and you cant deny the look is a bit strange specially for the emblem, it looks like a suit made by a two year old.

FistOfThe North
Actually, isn't the "S" on most versions of the suit painted or woven on as opposed to the 3D plate? Thats another change I noticed, but it's not that, that big a deal. He's still Superman/Kal El son of Jor El from Krypton, to me..

tlbauerle
I have to say bitching about the size of the shield is really lame.

LousyBoy
Yah definately. I dont need a convincing costume to believe thats Superman on screen. The suit is fine.

Dark_as_Knight

I'm amped. This will be the Uber comic movies of all movie of all time.

well actually metropolis is in Kansas in Smallville. In the comics, it's not really explained. it's supposed to be somewhere in the mid- north eastern states. like around illinois ( being that there's an actual city called metropolis in illinoise). but who knows... he may not have been going to metrpolis at all. perhaps new york??? wouldn't be the first time they use another city besides metropolis in a Superman movie.

but yea i agree with you... this movie is gonna be awesome.

roughrider
see here:

Excellent! I've wanted a map of the DC eastern seaboard for years, to see where all these cities are, in relation to New York. Is it truly accurate? I-95 is supposed to run through Metropolis; re. Avengers/JLA.
And Gotham is lower New Jersey? Well, Jersey depresses a lot of people, so that's perfect.

roughrider
Originally posted by Dark_as_Knight
well actually metropolis is in Kansas in Smallville. In the comics, it's not really explained. it's supposed to be somewhere in the mid- north eastern states. like around illinois ( being that there's an actual city called metropolis in illinoise). but who knows... he may not have been going to metrpolis at all. perhaps new york??? wouldn't be the first time they use another city besides metropolis in a Superman movie.

but yea i agree with you... this movie is gonna be awesome.

Everyone...Kansas is a land-locked state, Metropolis is a coastal city. Whatever you saw in Smallville, it's wrong.
Since this movie is definitely tied to Superman I-II, in that they just used New York - even put the Statue Of Liberty in. So, how they are going to pull out of that I don't know.

FistOfThe North
Originally posted by roughrider
Everyone...Kansas is a land-locked state, Metropolis is a coastal city. Whatever you saw in Smallville, it's wrong.
Since this movie is definitely tied to Superman I-II, in that they just used New York - even put the Statue Of Liberty in. So, how they are going to pull out of that I don't know.

I guess thats where both the pre & post-crises elements come in.

The quote I loved best from the trailer was:

"I give them you, my only son.."

I said "wow!" then he opened his eyes and disappeared into the upper atmosphere where he lit up into a sonic boom.

The music and the scene that went along with it was unexplainable, lol

SupezM'
The scene where Superman is in space looking down at a city might be in the begining of the movie when he's "returning" to earth.

roughrider
Yes...I have carped for months on here about the look of Routh, and the costume...
Then I watched the trailer, and shivers of excitement came. Maybe it's because all the sound is John Williams original theme, and Marlon Brando's voice (yes!), but cut with the flashes of footage, and him in the sky...
I think I'm getting up for this film after all!

Jedi Shmedi
Singer said at his speech at Princeton that the teaser was just to let people know the movie is being made lol. He confirmed that future trailers will have much more dialogue as well. So the teaser wasn't specifically meant to "wow" people, just give them notice of SR. Now I'm really excited for the next trailer
big grin big grin big grin big grin big grin big grin

BetaRayBill
I can't wait. At first I was meh... but after seeing the trailer I'm really excited.

eleveninches
Originally posted by Hegemon875
you mean maryland dont you.. I must have read the map wrong. OOps
Originally posted by roughrider
Excellent! I've wanted a map of the DC eastern seaboard for years, to see where all these cities are, in relation to New York. Is it truly accurate? I-95 is supposed to run through Metropolis; re. Avengers/JLA.
And Gotham is lower New Jersey? Well, Jersey depresses a lot of people, so that's perfect. I have maps of the rest of DC USA, and I have somewhere some maps of the rest of the DC Earth

eleveninches
next

eleveninches

eleveninches

eleveninches

eleveninches

eleveninches

eleveninches
final

alic88
the trailer is okay. BUT I CANT WAIT FOR THE MOVIE, ITS GONNA BLOW PEOPLE AWAY. I am surprised there hasnt been more hype though

eleveninches
Metropolis is Actually in DELAWARE (i read the map wrong before)

eleveninches
Gotham is right next to atlantic city

Hegemon875
This is so cool I live within 2 hrs of all the major DC cities eek!

FistOfThe North
From the trailer it looks like like "Returns" is gonna unnecessarily show baby KAl 'El's arrival.

It's like, how many times must we see that event. I say do brief cuts of that scene and him growing up in Smallville, and lets have him as Clark Kent the Journalists within 10 15mins of the start of the movie rather than a half hr to 45min or so of Kal 'El's infant arrival.

Kainreaver
Actually. if this movie is indeed taking place as a sequel to the 2nd movie, then the kents found Kal-El in the daytime. Not night (its night time when Martha Kent walks uo to the ship). And the ship that Martha walks up to is larger then the one that Klark is standing in front of in the trailer. So, Martha kent might be walking up to the spot where Superman Returns. And we have indeed seen Clark kent as a teenager in the previous film, but we havent seen him at age 10. (Like this film will show)

eleveninches
Batman: No Man's Land Volume 2 (TPB) shows a decent map of Gotham

FistOfThe North
To me Gotham is New York in an alternate universe. Even though it is litterally New York.

ZephroCarnelian
It's not literally New York, because there's a New York as well in DCs world.

big grin

vader519
Kainreaver, your right. That part of the trailer where MArtha Kent walks up to the ship, is when Clark returns back to earth.

demigawd
Metropolis is Actually in DELAWARE (i read the map wrong before)

That's correct - the OMAC series stated that Metropolis is in Delaware. I thought that was funny, too.

Originally posted by Hegemon875
This is so cool I live within 2 hrs of all the major DC cities eek!

So do I. On one hand, that seems kinda cool. On the other, that means I'll have to put up with endless supervillains on my daily commute. And it takes me long enough as it is to get to work...

FistOfThe North
Originally posted by ZephroCarnelian
It's not literally New York, because there's a New York as well in DCs world.

big grin

Look it up. Google (the salamgudi papers) where Gotham was described as New York ever since the late 1800's. Gotham is New York. New York in DC comics is an alternate NY.

eleveninches
Batman: No Man's Land Volume 2 (TPB) shows a decent map of Gotham But I have yet to come across a map of metropolis

eleveninches
Originally posted by Kainreaver
Actually. if this movie is indeed taking place as a sequel to the 2nd movie, then the kents found Kal-El in the daytime. Not night (its night time when Martha Kent walks uo to the ship). And the ship that Martha walks up to is larger then the one that Klark is standing in front of in the trailer. So, Martha kent might be walking up to the spot where Superman Returns. And we have indeed seen Clark kent as a teenager in the previous film, but we havent seen him at age 10. (Like this film will show) It could just be an elseworlds tale, or not related to DC continuity at all (like smallville)

TwisterGameX
http://www.killermovies.com/forums/f43/t379490.html Go in here and vote..also The trailer is in here for Superman!!

FistOfThe North
It could just be an elseworlds tale, or not related to DC continuity at all (like smallville)

I saw the back of the head of a red headed female walking toward what seems like fire stoked grounds. I saw no spaceship. The scene had faded quickly into the next scene. That scene tells me nothing. If so shouldn't Jonothan be in that scene because it was indeed both Jonathan and Martha that discovered young Clark at the same time. Or vise versa, where young Clark went towards the couple and surprised them both.

Or.

You could be right.. Martha's disovery of Clark and ship at night, could indeed be one of the slight twists the director decided to add...amoung many surprises i forsee.

vader519
I have the trailer, but I was wondering if anyone can post some screen caps of the trailer.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.