Why did Jor-El send his son Superman to Earth specifically?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

FistOfThe North
Why Earth. Was he sent there to save the ills of man-kind? I don' think so. Jor-El doesn't even like humans. That was Superman's choice to be the way he is now. Jor-El sent him there for a reason, and i think the Brainiac kinda explains it.

snoopdogg
Maybe Earth was one of the few planets that populus were similar to Kryptonians.

Hegemon875
Didnt he know that he would have super powers here?

Ultimate Hulk43
He sent him to Earth to protect it and he knew that humans were similar to Kryptonians and they'd raise him and he'd have superpowers.He also wanted one of the Kryptonians to survive so why not let it be his son?Originally he wanted to send ALL Kryptonians to Earth to take over and star life a new but they laughed at him and called him crazy.Then he was going to send his wife Lara and Kal-El(Superman)but Lara wanted to stay with Jor-El and so she died with him.Oh and Jor-El had been studying Earth for a while.

((The_Anomaly))
actually Jor-El DID like humans

"they're a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, they're capacity for good, I have sent them you, my only son."

I'd say that sums up just about everything...

FistOfThe North
Originally posted by ((The_Anomaly))
actually Jor-El DID like humans

"they're a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, they're capacity for good, I have sent them you, my only son."

I'd say that sums up just about everything...

A beautiful mini-speech by M. Brandon, by the way (R.I.P.) It kinda reminded me of the Jesus and God collabo. But I digress.

Don't you think that for someone to say "they're a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way." Is a bit condescending and patronizing. People would actually take that as an insult.

Jor-El has insinuated many a time that humans are "low". He didn't really care for humans. Just Earth and his son. Jor'El would always try to interfere or critique Clark on his Superheroing acts.

((The_Anomaly))
I think that Jor-El's "Jor'El Interference's and constant criticising of Clark is meant to show the pressures that most father place on they're sons to be great, to follow in they're footseps. just Jor-El's is a little more extreme seeing as his son is not only the last of his great race, but also 'greater then any man' (hes super) so i think Jor-El always thought that Kal-El should be, in a way, all good things about Kryptonian soceity.

i dont find Jor-El's speech to be condescending and patronizing, its not condescending if its the truth, which even in reality its true.

humans are not great, but we most certainly could be, were just too ignorant and self centered to notice our latenet greatness. we COULD (in real life) be as great as the Kryptonians were in terms of everything, we only lack some kind of motivation.

unfortunately i think that we will never have that motivation until something bad happens (a la star trek and WWIII) something horribly bad needs to happen to us humans before we all realise that something needs to be done.

so Jor-El knew this, and perhaps thought that, if Kal-El could show us the way without something bad happening, it would be far greater. so 'he sent us his only son'.

in a way I dont think Jor-El wanted humans to make the mistakes that the Kryptonians made, as the early years of Krypton were not much different then us here on earth. so i think, since Jor-El had studied Earth for some time, and knew a great deal about us, he kind of looked at Humans as sons of the universe, where the Kryptonians were fathers of the universe, and he knew that we had great potential, just nothing for us to look upon to aspire too.

Mindship
Jor El knew what was forbidden knowledge (because Kryptonians saw themselves as superior to Earthlings): that Kryptonians and Earthlings derive from the same source. Neither are native to their planets; our common origin goes waayyy back, the seeds of both races brought to each planet by the Preservers/Progenitors/First Ones. This is why Kryptonians and Earthlings are so alike. Jor El was attempting to complete the circle, or at least ignite a process which would complete it.

pizza

FistOfThe North
Originally posted by ((The_Anomaly))

i dont find Jor-El's speech to be condescending and patronizing, its not condescending if its the truth, which even in reality its true.

humans are not great, but we most certainly could be, were just too ignorant and self centered to notice our latenet greatness. we COULD (in real life) be as great as the Kryptonians were in terms of everything, we only lack some kind of motivation.

unfortunately i think that we will never have that motivation until something bad happens (a la star trek and WWIII) something horribly bad needs to happen to us humans before we all realise that something needs to be done.

lol dude, you are so wrong. I happen to know great, honorable people. And if I saw Jor 'El I'd tell him the same thing. Clark would to. Many a great things have came about because of great people, sure we're not perfect, every tree has it's rotten fruits, but I honestly think there is possibly more good than evil on this planet. Someone is always willing to help the next man, This Has Been Seen. but for Jor 'El to say Man-Kind means to be and can be good as if we all aren't, is ridiculous of him.

Even Clark in Smallville said "Professor Fine said human beings were insignificant and couldn't be dependent on, he obviously didn't know you(chloe) very well." thats when she saved Clark from the Braniac grip all the way in the arctic. She didn't have to do that, but she did. Jor'El is wrong.

Ultimate Hulk43
What is this WWIII is supposed to be?Will it jeopardize our race?My dad says it's the final war between GOD and the Devil.

FistOfThe North
Originally posted by Ultimate Hulk43
What is this WWIII is supposed to be?Will it jeopardize our race?My dad says it's the final war between GOD and the Devil.

Well, I don't know about that but Einstein said:

"So long as there are men, there will be wars.."

A fact, I would say. And WWIII may happen, and when it comes, i have a feeling it'll be Nuclear. But I bet that there're just as much people that'll try to prevent it.

Diplomacy is the key..

Ultimate Hulk43
If it does happen(I hope it doesn't),where will it happen?

((The_Anomaly))
Originally posted by FistOfThe North
lol dude, you are so wrong. I happen to know great, honorable people. And if I saw Jor 'El I'd tell him the same thing. Clark would to. Many a great things have came about because of great people, sure we're not perfect, every tree has it's rotten fruits, but I honestly think there is possibly more good than evil on this planet. Someone is always willing to help the next man, This Has Been Seen. but for Jor 'El to say Man-Kind means to be and can be good as if we all aren't, is ridiculous of him.

Even Clark in Smallville said "Professor Fine said human beings were insignificant and couldn't be dependent on, he obviously didn't know you(chloe) very well." thats when she saved Clark from the Braniac grip all the way in the arctic. She didn't have to do that, but she did. Jor'El is wrong.
i agree and disagree with you, i know good PEOPLE but the PERSONS on this planet are not overall good people.

if we were good and truly decent the govt's of the world would be giving anything the poor people needed, there would be little international conflict.

for instance, if the world was as good as you say, then the peoples of the US would have stood up and told the US gov't to stop funding the military and give the hundreds of billion of dollars to Africa, and places that REALLY need it.

if the world was as good as you say then we wouldn't even feel the need to have a military

we are ignorant and self centered, if we were as good as you say charities would not exist for cancer, HIV, etc. research because the world would just fund them because they need it, and because it would better everyone.

we as humans arnt even close to any of that, we are self centered money hoarders who in reality care nothing about the good of everyone.

(this is in general, not specific people)

thats what Jor-El was talking about. IF we did put all that aside and truly become as great a people as we can become, then there would be no world hunger, no 3rd world nations, no wars, no fear of nuclear or terrorist attacks. on and on and on and on

humans have the potential to be great, but we are so self centered that we need something to make us realise what reality is, to get out of our own existence and truly care about everything. if EVERYONE did that, this earth would be a truly great planet. but since its not a great planet, its obvious we are not all great, but we have the potential.

we just need to wake up.

there are good people on earth, but apparently not enough to make a difference.

FistOfThe North
Originally posted by Ultimate Hulk43
If it does happen(I hope it doesn't),where will it happen?

Im too tired to look for my crystal ball but for now, i'll assume that if Nuclear War was to happen, The United States will have something to do with it. Don't know from what side though.

Pakistan and India are soo, so close to having Nuclear War over Kashmir that it isn't even funny. But I'll tell you one thing. If an Atom Bombs goes off there. The entire planet will be in chaos, including the US. I'd get real ugly, im talking about mass global hysteria and lower than depression circumstances perhaps because we're not talking about 1940 A-Bombs. We're talking highly technologically advanced Nuclear Atom Bombs that can turn a whole medium-sized country like say, Germany, into a parking lot literally in mins. Oh, and just one won't be dropped. Both countries are packin'. It could be anytime now.

Where Superman when you need 'im, lol

Hegemon875
Well this thread has been hi-jacked laughing

roughrider
Originally posted by Mindship
Jor El knew what was forbidden knowledge (because Kryptonians saw themselves as superior to Earthlings): that Kryptonians and Earthlings derive from the same source. Neither are native to their planets; our common origin goes waayyy back, the seeds of both races brought to each planet by the Preservers/Progenitors/First Ones. This is why Kryptonians and Earthlings are so alike. Jor El was attempting to complete the circle, or at least ignite a process which would complete it.

pizza

When and where was this theory first shown?

Mindship

Originally posted by roughrider
When and where was this theory first shown?

I don't know if this theory has ever been published by DC. As far as I do know, it is my own theory to explain why Kryptonians and humans are so eerly similar, one of the two major flaws (IMO) in the Superman mythos (the other being his frusty costume).

redcaped
This is a noble race that know all their knowledge and abilities. We never knew how or when they visited us but their intentions were quite clear. In order for his son to survive and have a decent life he chose earth.

superkal-el
Kal-El was sent to earth because humans and kryptonians have a similar molecular structure, kryptonians and humans are the same kryptonians are the same as humans but maybe a few million years older. if a human was to go to krypton after he evolved a few million years he would have the exact same powers as superman does on earth, kal-el picked earth because of this because because humans were the same species as the kryptonians basically. and if jor-el sent kal-el to another planet kal-el would be different he would not look like any of the beings from that planet. plus Jor-el had been studying earthh and he realised that was a safe environment for his son aswell. plus if not for the earths sun and the power of invonrubility it gives supermans then kal-el little baby kal-el would have been killed by the impact of the rocket hitting the earths atmosphere this is something that jor-el also picked up on. and jor-el decided that if kal-el went to earth then he could look after and guide the people on earth as he would be more powerful then them.

NoFate007
Because of the writers chose to send Kal-El to another planet, he wouldn't be as popular.

The Ion
He threw a dart at a star map.

redcaped
I am leaving Superman from KMC hehehe...I gave my best.

Scoobless
for the chicks ...... shifty

Thorin
your right scoobles, most likely for the chicks. Happy Dance

John Bak'or
LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.