Cosmic or not?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Crease
1. What excatly decides whether you're a "Cosmic" hero or villan or not. Do you have to posess the ability to tap cosmic energy for personal use (Thanos, Silver Surfer, Watchers, etc) or do you just have to originate from somewhere other than earth (Gladiator, Superskrull, Alien Symbiote).

snoopdogg
To me a cosmic is a powerful hero or villain who not from Earth.

Key word is powerful.

Scoobless
Originally posted by snoopdogg
To me a cosmic is a powerful hero or villain who not from Earth.

Key word is powerful.

but Thor isn't really considered Cosmic..... neither are skyfathers

Crease
Interesting...I've always considered skyfathers cosmic beings based on their power level...Odin or Zeus could easily defeat low to midlevel cosmic beings, or stalemate a thanos. And technically, even though they originated from earth, both Asgard and Olympus exist as seperate magical realms.

Mindship
A "cosmic" is a being whose sphere of operations is, minimally, interstellar and as such possesses the power necessary to operate in this theater, a power based on physics...which, now that I think of it, brings me to this...

Regarding so-called "magical" beings, I quote Clarke's Law: "Any technology sufficiently advanced is indistinquishable from magic."

H'mmm...

willRules
Originally posted by Mindship
I quote Clarke's Law: "Any technology sufficiently advanced is indistinquishable from magic."

Whilst I agree with what you are saying, that quote is the scientific term for say "This is something we can't use science to explain."

long pig
The definition of Cosmic is anyone who gets their power from a cosmic source. Normally from a cosmic entity.

i.e Surfer, Quasar, Genis, Elders, Deathurge, Um...well you get the point.

People like Superman aren't cosmic, technically neither is Thanos, actually. Thanos is as much cosmic as Havok.

long pig
Quoting anyone's law and pretending it is relevant is usually is a bad thing.

Magic isn't just unexplored technology, it's magic. Usually from internal or from a deity.

snoopdogg
Originally posted by long pig
The definition of Cosmic is anyone who gets their power from a cosmic source. Normally from a cosmic entity.

People like Superman aren't cosmic, technically neither is Thanos, actually. Thanos is as much cosmic as Havok. Is a Sun considered a cosmic source? I think it is.

long pig
No, it isn't. Not at all, actually. Not in the slightest.

Saying getting power from the Sun is cosmic, is just like saying getting power from Mars is cosmic.

If it's in our solar system, it's not even SLIGHTLY cosmic.

snoopdogg
No, it isn't. Not at all, actually. Not in the slightest.

Saying getting power from the Sun is cosmic, is just like saying getting power from Mars is cosmic.

If it's in our solar system, it's not even SLIGHTLY cosmic. What about the stars? Is that a cosmic source?

long pig
No, not really.

Havok is as much a cosmic as Superman.

jrodslam
What about the stars? Is that a cosmic source?

Supes is holding 100 tons in his hands like its a basketball lol. Sweet.

snoopdogg
No, not really.

Havok is as much a cosmic as Superman. Havok isnt a Alien either.

Is he?

Superman draws power from yellow and white stars.

DigiMark007
not a battle...moved

long pig
Havok draws power from ambient cosmic energy from stars, too.

What does being an alien have to do with anything? Quasar is human and 100% cosmic.

Scoobless
No, not really.

Havok is as much a cosmic as Superman.

so are plants...... and you don't call blades of grass cosmic entities

Scoobless
Havok isnt a Alien either.

Is he?

he is to Superman.... big grin

Avalonofthewind

People like Superman aren't cosmic, technically neither is Thanos, actually. Thanos is as much cosmic as Havok.

Superman not Cosmic?
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y112/avalonofthewind/supescosmic.jpg

long pig
Originally posted by Avalonofthewind
Superman not Cosmic?
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y112/avalonofthewind/supescosmic.jpg
He sure isn't.

Avalonofthewind
He sure isn't.

Damn DC always lying eh?

long pig
Not lying, just wrong.

Marvel calls Wolverine "The most dangerous being on Earth." He isn't.

Avalonofthewind
Nah, he is cosmic. The book is right.
He just doesnt posses power cosmic (for obvious reasons.)

long pig
What makes him cosmic? He JUST learned how to survive in space.

Sunlight doesn't make him cosmic, neither does ambient energy from the stars.

What else is there?

His source of power is derived from a star that is only near Earth, which makes him the polar opposite of Cosmic.

Avalonofthewind
What makes him cosmic? He JUST learned how to survive in space.

Sunlight doesn't make him cosmic, neither does ambient energy from the stars.

What else is there?

His source of power is derived from a star that is only near Earth, which makes him the polar opposite of Cosmic.

Just learned? Its been a few years now.
He can survive indefintely in space.
Is powered by a cosmic energy source.

What is a cosmic being to you? Just having the power cosmic?

long pig
A true cosmic being wouldn't need to learn how to survive in it's(the cosmic) natural habitat. A fish doesn't learn to swim.

The yellow sun inside our solar system isn't cosmic.

A cosmic being is a being that is either given, or born with powers that come from a cosmic being/god. Also, the being must be at home in empty space. They must be made to travel in space.

Just abosorbing energy from space doesn't make you cosmic.

Avalonofthewind

Mindship
Originally posted by Mindship
A "cosmic" is a being whose sphere of operations is, minimally, interstellar and as such possesses the power necessary to operate in this theater, a power based on physics.

Superman has the potential to be a cosmic being.

Thor (eg) may not be considered cosmic because his power is based on "magic," although "magic" has never really been properly defined. Just saying "its magic" says nothing. Saying "magic" comes from a "deity"--well, now we have to define "deity" which brings in "supernatural" or "magic," and we get circular reasoning. Even to say a cosmic being gets his/her power from a "cosmic source," again, invites c.r. and explains nothing.

The power of a cosmic being derives from 1) being able to use the laws of physics, and 2) using it on a vast scale. IMHO, one must consider the operational theater to complete the definition. This is why Superman has the potential for cosmic beinghood. He has the power; it's based on (comicological) physics; and he has the potential for operating on an interstellar scale (witness Superman Prime as this potential realized).

pizza

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.