Sentry's Origins !

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

yahman
Superman's come from the Sun ! Flash's come from Speed Force ! Xavier and Co have psionics and The Surfer has the PC. Where the hell does Sentry get his powers from ?

Could someone explain to me why Sentry got all this power from a chemical serum ???????? What the hell did it do to him ? How does being out of sync with time give him his powers ?

Piedmon
Personally, I don't see what the hell is so unbelievable about a serum that might let his cells store and exponentially expand absorbed energy from the sun's radiation. It makes about as much sense as Storm controlling the weather thanks to her genetics, or half the bizarre made up shit Magneto can do by evoking "the electro-magnetic spectrum."

It's superhero comic books. If you're looking for 'Hard' science fiction, you're in the wrong place, but you might have better luck looking at a rack of Warren Ellis.

yahman
Originally posted by Piedmon
Personally, I don't see what the hell is so unbelievable about a serum that might let his cells store and exponentially expand absorbed energy from the sun's radiation. It makes about as much sense as Storm controlling the weather thanks to her genetics, or half the bizarre made up shit Magneto can do by evoking "the electro-magnetic spectrum."

It's superhero comic books. If you're looking for 'Hard' science fiction, you're in the wrong place, but you might have better luck looking at a rack of Warren Ellis.

"It makes about as much sense as Storm controlling the weather thanks to her genetics, or half the bizarre made up shit Magneto can do by evoking "the electro-magnetic spectrum"

Celestials manipulate genes of humans, so that they can manipulate psionic energy .... they way in which they manipulate this energy differs from each mutant, i.e. Storm = the weather, Ice man = water manipulation.

" don't see what the hell is so unbelievable about a serum that might let his cells store and exponentially expand absorbed energy from the sun's radiation."

This explanation hasn't been given .... I'd be happy if it was ! smile

Piedmon
The Serum gave him "The Power of a Million Exploding Suns..." combine that with the fact that he's a Superman archetype, and it's not hard to figure.

Last time I checked, oh, any X-Men comic ever, their powers came from their genetics not some Celestial hoohah.... not that it would make it somehow more realistic if that was the case....

yahman
The Serum gave him "The Power of a Million Exploding Suns..." combine that with the fact that he's a Superman archetype, and it's not hard to figure.

Last time I checked, oh, any X-Men comic ever, their powers came from their genetics not some Celestial hoohah.... not that it would make it somehow more realistic if that was the case....

Im not looking for realism .... Im looking for technobable,

"The Serum gave him "The Power of a Million Exploding Suns..." combine that with the fact that he's a Superman archetype, and it's not hard to figure. "

This is all hypothetical. smile

Piedmon
Hypothetical like evolution....

What is it with, and I'm not pointing specific fingers here, people who need everything explained? This is a queer trend I've noticed in fans of western comics primarily, less so in manga readers. Why must everything have, no matter how absurd or water-thin, an explanation?

In the real world, shit happens that we will never be able to understand all the time. Why is it that our comics can't reflect this, but must instead have a neat ABC sequence for everything? Why can't we just accept the various conceits an author sets at the beginning and judge the story from there?

Anyway, in the specific case of the Sentry, it's deliberately meant to be an ironic parody of the unbelievable and dated origins of so many heroes past. Remember, Spider-Man and the X-Men were originally said to be the result of "radiation."

Nowadays it's common knowledge that radiation doesn't give you superpowers, it gives you cancer. The Sentry was deliberately created with evoking that earlier era, when science could be played as fast and loose as you wanted, in mind. Therefore his anachronistic origin.

yahman
Hypothetical like evolution....

What is it with, and I'm not pointing specific fingers here, people who need everything explained? This is a queer trend I've noticed in fans of western comics primarily, less so in manga readers. Why must everything have, no matter how absurd or water-thin, an explanation?

In the real world, shit happens that we will never be able to understand all the time. Why is it that our comics can't reflect this, but must instead have a neat ABC sequence for everything? Why can't we just accept the various conceits an author sets at the beginning and judge the story from there?

Anyway, in the specific case of the Sentry, it's deliberately meant to be an ironic parody of the unbelievable and dated origins of so many heroes past. Remember, Spider-Man and the X-Men were originally said to be the result of "radiation."

Nowadays it's common knowledge that radiation doesn't give you superpowers, it gives you cancer. The Sentry was deliberately created with evoking that earlier era, when science could be played as fast and loose as you wanted, in mind. Therefore his anachronistic origin.

Because Im a cynic !!!!!! smile

long pig
I'm more interested in Sentry's body being "one second ahead of normal reality" than the million sun jibba jabba.

I mean, being 1 second ahead means he has limitless speed and really never should be able to be hit by anything ever.

Kinda like Zoom. They need to explore the 1 second ahead thing in depth.

Ethereal
Sentry not only can absorb the suns radiation energy, but most of all types of energy

Mindship
I would like to address Yahman's "concern" regarding how a "chemical serum" could give one the "power of a million exploding suns." Piedmon makes an excellent case for "why concern yourself," so to speak, but, being initially a "hard scifi" guy myself, I can see why Yahman asks his question.

I copied the below from my posts in the thread of Who Can Survive a Direct Hit from an Atom Bomb. This is for those of us who like a "dash of realism" in our comics. For those who don't, well, c'est la vie, many colors make a rainbow.

One ton of TNT exploding yields over 4000 megajoules of energy.
One megaton yields over 4000 terajoules: more energy than the whole Earth will use for hundreds of years, at least.

Seems to me, in order to survive a one megaton blast, one would have to counter 4000 terajoules with an equal amount of energy, at least.

Where in God's name do these "nuke survivors" get this much power from? Given the amount of energy which rains down from the sun, per square centimeter, even Superman doesn't have enough skin surface area to absorb this much power.

Why pick on Superman?
1. Ask 100 people which superhero can take a nuke, chances are, every one of them will answer "Superman."
2. Unlike those superheroes who rely on "magic" (which, as far as anyone knows, has absolutely no basis in reality), Big Blue's power depends on solar energy, which is very real and can be measured.

Thusly...
- On a sunny day, the amount of sunlight per square centimeter yields 0.1345 joules every ten seconds.
- An adult male has about 1.8 square meters of total skin surface area.
- If Superman were totally naked, he could perhaps absorb about 2500 joules in ten seconds. He needs 1.6 trillion times this amount to counter the energy of a 1 megaton bomb (4000 trillion divided by 2500).
- 1.6 trillion x 10 seconds is about 500,000 years. This is how long Kal El has to sunbathe to absorb enough power to survive 1 (one) "typical" nuclear explosion.

Applied to Sentry...
There are, what?, about ten trillion cells in the human body? That means, to harness the power of "a million exploding suns," each cell has the energy of about one-ten-millionth of a supernova, or 10^37 joules, or about 1000 x power our sun puts out in a year...just from one cell! There are no (known) nuclear reactions which yield this much power...so how the hell does a chemical serum do this?

Yes, yes, I know, I know. It's just comics; Sentry as a character harkens back to a "simpler time." I have no problem with any of that. It's just interesting--for me, anyway--what happens when one translates comicological hyperbole into real (if ballpark) figures.

bag

snoopdogg
In Sentrys bio entry in the 2005 Avengers handbook it sas he has the ability to absorb limitless solar energy.

So I'm gonna guess that the Sun is the MAIN source of his powers.

Swanky-Tuna
Originally posted by yahman
Celestials manipulate genes of humans, so that they can manipulate psionic energy .... they way in which they manipulate this energy differs from each mutant, i.e. Storm = the weather, Ice man = water manipulation.
It kind of makes you wonder why they don't just get over their sissy mental blocks and start manipulating matter on a large scale instead of a small scale.

yahman
Originally posted by Mindship
I would like to address Yahman's "concern" regarding how a "chemical serum" could give one the "power of a million exploding suns." Piedmon makes an excellent case for "why concern yourself," so to speak, but, being initially a "hard scifi" guy myself, I can see why Yahman asks his question.

I copied the below from my posts in the thread of Who Can Survive a Direct Hit from an Atom Bomb. This is for those of us who like a "dash of realism" in our comics. For those who don't, well, c'est la vie, many colors make a rainbow.

One ton of TNT exploding yields over 4000 megajoules of energy.
One megaton yields over 4000 terajoules: more energy than the whole Earth will use for hundreds of years, at least.

Seems to me, in order to survive a one megaton blast, one would have to counter 4000 terajoules with an equal amount of energy, at least.

Where in God's name do these "nuke survivors" get this much power from? Given the amount of energy which rains down from the sun, per square centimeter, even Superman doesn't have enough skin surface area to absorb this much power.

Why pick on Superman?
1. Ask 100 people which superhero can take a nuke, chances are, every one of them will answer "Superman."
2. Unlike those superheroes who rely on "magic" (which, as far as anyone knows, has absolutely no basis in reality), Big Blue's power depends on solar energy, which is very real and can be measured.

Thusly...
- On a sunny day, the amount of sunlight per square centimeter yields 0.1345 joules every ten seconds.
- An adult male has about 1.8 square meters of total skin surface area.
- If Superman were totally naked, he could perhaps absorb about 2500 joules in ten seconds. He needs 1.6 trillion times this amount to counter the energy of a 1 megaton bomb (4000 trillion divided by 2500).
- 1.6 trillion x 10 seconds is about 500,000 years. This is how long Kal El has to sunbathe to absorb enough power to survive 1 (one) "typical" nuclear explosion.

Applied to Sentry...
There are, what?, about ten trillion cells in the human body? That means, to harness the power of "a million exploding suns," each cell has the energy of about one-ten-millionth of a supernova, or 10^37 joules, or about 1000 x power our sun puts out in a year...just from one cell! There are no (known) nuclear reactions which yield this much power...so how the hell does a chemical serum do this?

Yes, yes, I know, I know. It's just comics; Sentry as a character harkens back to a "simpler time." I have no problem with any of that. It's just interesting--for me, anyway--what happens when one translates comicological hyperbole into real (if ballpark) figures.

bag

laughing laughing

I luv u mannn ..... Our child will look something like this : geek

laughing out loud

yahman
Originally posted by Swanky-Tuna
It kind of makes you wonder why they don't just get over their sissy mental blocks and start manipulating matter on a large scale instead of a small scale.

Cos they where originally street level characters. Nice one Claremont .... Not ! mad

Superherovandal
well the fact that Supes isn't human in any way might explain it. And we don't know how fast he absorbs it.

Mindship
Originally posted by yahman
laughing laughing

I luv u mannn ..... Our child will look something like this : geek

laughing out loud

More like this cool but will probably still have to endure this pokey

yahman
Originally posted by Mindship
More like this cool but will probably still have to endure this pokey

big grin Indeed !

Adam Warlock
Originally posted by snoopdogg
In Sentrys bio entry in the 2005 Avengers handbook it sas he has the ability to absorb limitless solar energy.

So I'm gonna guess that the Sun is the MAIN source of his powers.

I don't think it's limited to just solar energy. Terrax's blast didn't even faze him.

snoopdogg
Originally posted by Adam Warlock
I don't think it's limited to just solar energy. Terrax's blast didn't even faze him. What does that have to do with absorbing solar energy?

Superman could take those blasts too.

manjaro
hey you bastiches leave sentry alone! the guy doesnt tlak much and is all about kicking ass. in fact, since he has made his recent comeback he has yet to have a really meaningul conversation with someone..just kicks ass and looks coolbig grin

Adam Warlock
Originally posted by snoopdogg
What does that have to do with absorbing solar energy?

Superman could take those blasts too.

When he fought Genis, the caption said he was a being that could draw energy from anywhere and everywhere, and Genis could shunt it anywhere and everywhere.

Superman could probably take those blasts because of his aura and his immense durability. Wonder Woman or Normal Thor on the other hand, if they were shot by a blast like that that, the'd probably feel it a whole lot more.

Adam Warlock
Originally posted by manjaro
hey you bastiches leave sentry alone! the guy doesnt tlak much and is all about kicking ass. in fact, since he has made his recent comeback he has yet to have a really meaningul conversation with someone..just kicks ass and looks coolbig grin

They just hate it when they see a Superman clone become more powerful than the original. smile

Superman < Sentry

Quasar(Hard Light Constructs/Energy absorption) + Professor X + Superman + Yellow Paint = The Sentry big grin

Ron Jeremy
Originally posted by Adam Warlock
They just hate it when they see a Superman clone become more powerful than the original. smile

Superman < Sentry

Quasar(Hard Light Constructs/Energy absorption) + Professor X + Superman + Yellow Paint = The Sentry big grin

I like the Sentry mini series and I liked the Sentry first mini series but......

Supes is the original smile

ImmortalOne
Originally posted by Ron Jeremy
I like the Sentry mini series and I liked the Sentry first mini series but......

Supes is the original smile

Yep.........

And what the hell is going on with 1 SECOND AHEAD OF THE TIMELINE THING ???

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.