Admiral Daala vs. Admiral Ackbar.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

SS_181st_Snow
Who's the better Tactiction, and why?

Darth_Glentract
Ackbar. Cause Ackbar was said in one thing to have been bested only by Thrawn and Thrawn considered most other Imperial leaders to be a waste of resources.

IKC
Daala did indeed waste much of the Empire's resources. She did more harm than good to the Empire, in my opinion.

Darth_Glentract
The only Imperials that were really helpful to the Empire after ROTJ was Thrawn and Pellaeon.

Escape81
Admiral Ackbar is the superior tactition. To be honest, he is perhaps the greatest tactition and commander that the Alliance or the New Republic ever had, save for Garm Bel Ibis. He learned his military ways from that of the Imperials, who were exceptional tactitions, and Grand Moff Tarkin who was an outstanding tactition in his own right.

Thrawn is perhaps the greatest tactition the galaxy has ever witnessed, so it's not saying much when you lose to him.

Ackbar owns.

Ianus
So if you had to list the following tacticians in order of rank, how would it look?

Tarkin
Ackbar
Garm Bel Iblis
Thrawn
Revan
Any others you can think of.

The Creator
I would list them as this

1: Thrawn
2: Garm Bel Iblis
3: Ackbar
4: Revan
5: Tarkin
6: Lord Hoth
7: Pellaeon

Ianus
Ackbar is better than Revan?

The Creator
IMO, yes and also they have most likely come up with better tactics by Ackbar's time.

Escape81
Grand Admiral Thrawn ought to top all of the lists. To me, it would be:

1. Thrawn
2. Bel Iblis
3. Revan
4. Grievous
5. Ackbar
6. Pellaeon
7. Tarkin

Ianus
Time doesn't effect tactics like that, especially when the technology is more or less the same. Tactics used in Biblical times were similar in method and execution to those used four hundred, five hundred years after.

I could see if Revan lead a bunch of spearchucking natives and conquered an island and later on Admiral Ackbar and his hi tech navy encircled the same island with no casualties, but that's not the case.

Most certainly, Revan won a losing battle against opponents of considerable skill who did not fear death.

Darth Faunus
You mean the Iraqi insurgents?

Ianus
Yes, them and the Okinawans.

The Overmaster
I say Revan is the better tactician stick out tongue

Darth_Glentract
Thrawn
Garm
Ackbar
Revan
Jan Dodonna
Pellaeon
Lord Hoth
Tarkin

And if you don't believe Janus that tactics don't change much overtime, military officers today still study The Art of War by Sun Tsuzu(spelling?).

Darth Faunus
Sun Tzu. But close enough.

Tangible God
Originally posted by The Creator
IMO, yes and also they have most likely come up with better tactics by Ackbar's time. Can you actually back that up in any way?

Escape81
Originally posted by Darth Faunus
Sun Tzu. But close enough.

Niccolo Machiavelli wrote a novel by the same name, I believe.

Ianus
Yeah, but his was more Europe oriented. Lots of talk of Swiss pikemen, etc.

Tangible God
Was his book actually called the Art of War? I can never remember what it was called.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.