Up in a ball of flames!

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Myth
One of the coolest and scariest things to ever happen to me. I was preparing for the rivalry weekend football game Oregon vs Oregon State. We decided to have a BBQ and had a gas BBQer. Since we live at college and the BBQer of my friend's is always left outside, somebody had stolen the electric starter thats built in so we had to light it with a match. Unfortunately, I don't have much experience with BBQing and didn't know you could light them from underneath rather than throwing in the match from the top (my friends didn't know this either). They were having a hard time lighting the matches and somehow I have no problem lighting them even though I was never even allowed to touch them throughout all of high school. So I light one match but instantly the wind blows it out. I then light another and the same thing. Keep in mind, the propane is filling the BBQer as I do this. On my 3rd try I light the match and throw it in. Next thing I know I hear a 'whoosh' sound and see nothing but fire shooting at my face. I was ingulfed(sp?) in flames from my waistline up all the way up my head. I ended up fine but it burnt my hair all around my bangs, sideburns, and even the hair on the back of my head. Much of this fell out when I showered but not enough that people can notice. The ends of my left eye brow burned away and it is about half the length of the right side and its all poky now. This you really only can tell by touch. My hands were the closest thing to the grill so all the hair is completely gone off of my hands all the way to my wrists. Fortunately with all of this, the only part that got burned bad enough that it still hurts 12 hours later is two of my fingers on the hand that threw the match in. They are bright red and a little swollen. Thing constantly feel like a sunburn does in a hot shower. Therefore, when I'm actually in a warm shower, my hand can't withstand being in the water at all. Overall, my experience was AWESOME! I can't wait to tell my parents and grandparents the story when I go home from collegefor Thanksgiving. Their overprotectiveness and fear of us burning myself was the reason I never delt with matches before college in the first place. Ah, good times.

eggmayo
I never understood that, gas burns never really burn you that badly..
I've had a camping stove fireball me before and deoderant cans and stuff, just burnt my hair (stinky stick out tongue)

Bloigen
I can't be bothered reading that give me the jist of it.

eggmayo
Originally posted by Bloigen
I can't be bothered reading that give me the jist of it.
He got burnt by a fireball of gas.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.