'The Fountain' - New Aronofsky movie!

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Ya Krunk'd Floo
Woah! The genius behind 'Pi' and 'Requiem For A Dream' has got a new baby to birth...Check out the trailer:

'The Fountain' Trailer

It looks fantastic and the concept seems out of this world...It spans 1000 years and involves a man's quest for the secret to eternal life. Something about saving his wife, or something...

Anyway, Aronofsky's previous movies are both visually stunning and intellectually stimulating, so mixing this up with some Sci-Fi/fantasy sounds like magic...

Anyone else looking forward to this?

papabeard
Sounds good to me.

Mando
Very interesting, the writer must have his hands full on this project.

MildPossession
Yep, been looking forwards to this film for ages, does look excellent. Parts remind me of Casshern.

Ya Krunk'd Floo
Yeah, I heard about it back in Spring...It was originally supposed to be a Brad Pitt vehicle with a $100million budget, but it stalled due to 'creative differences'. I'm not really a fan of Hugh Jackman or Weisz, but with Aronofsky at the helm, I can forgive all.

MildPossession
As long as they don't give Weisz an American accent, I'm happy with her in the film. The trailer I saw didn't have her speaking I don't think, so if she has an American accent... bla.

Ya Krunk'd Floo
The problem with Weisz is that I always refer to her from her work on 'The Mummy'. Which was crap.

That scene with Jackman climbing up the 'tree' reminded me of the 'dream' sequences in 'The Cell'. I hope it's more satisfying than that...It should be.

Solo
I'm not going to judge my opinion on that. What was that? Seventeen seconds?

Although, Requiem was quite the film.

BackFire
Been waiting for this one for years now. Arronofsky is one of the most promising new directors out there and is definately one to watch.

Can't wait for it.

jockjanson
I'm with you guys on this! Can't wait to check it out!!

saltyjesus
wow, i had no idea this was coming. his other movies were great not only because of how visually stunning they were, but also because of the unique concepts, and this appears to no exception. he has only done pi and requiem, right, or are there others?

any word on when it is expected to be released?

Ya Krunk'd Floo
Release date? Sometime during the spring...

'Pi' and 'Requiem For A Dream' are the only movies he's done that got a public release, but he has also made some other movies. One is called 'Protozoa' and the other is 'Supermarket Sweep', but they'll probably be impossible to find.

papabeard
I do not like Weisz or Jackman, this is most disappointing.

Koala MeatPie
HOLLY CRAP just saw the trailer.

http://www.apple.com/trailers/wb/thefountain/large.html

MildPossession
There was a link to the trailer in the very first post...

Sir Whirlysplat
I posted a thread on this in comic book movies a couple of months back, there is a graphic novel coming out.

Ya Krunk'd Floo
Why would you post a thread about an original screenplay in the comic book movies forum?

Ya Krunk'd Floo
Here are a couple of reviews from the first test screening:

Click here.

They seemed to have loved it. Make sure you noted the note:

NOTE: This is not a science fiction film, this is not an action film, so please, sweaty fanboys who need to see explosions and lasers, do yourself a favor and just watch "The Black Hole" again. VINCENT and Maximillian are great, but this film really is for grownups. You won't like it, and you will complain about Hugh Jackman's spaceship as not looking "realistic". This is not a "cyber" film, nor is it a "matrix-type" film, nor is it like anything a genre fan might expect if you try to label this "scifi". This is something new. I can't wait for all of you film lovers out there to experience this movie.

BackFire
Awesome find, thanks for posting it.

DarkWizard
Originally posted by BackFire
Awesome find, thanks for posting it.

Ya Krunk'd Floo
Taken from the good folks at AICN:

Darren Aronofsky's THE FOUNTAIN has a release date at last!!!

Hey folks, Harry here... finally for the first time in well... forever, we have a secured nailed down theatrical wide release date for Darren Aronofsky's THE FOUNTAIN. Warners, being extremely nurturing with Aronofsky, took the release date demons away and allowed him and his editors the freedom to explore and find the rhythm of this rather complex and beautiful story. October 13th, 2006 is the date when we'll get to see what I believe we all feel in our hearts is going to be one of the best films period this year!

It's been an age, and it'll take a while longer, but I think when it finally arrives it'll be worth the wait.

Solo
Hopefully we won't be let down. I think if everything works out, it'll be the best film of 2006.

Solo
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y257/myheroisjohnlocke/postfountain1.jpg
The best movie of 2006? I think so. Hopefully it works out with a 98 minute run time.

Solo

cking
what is it about?

Solo
http://www.apple.com/trailers/wb/thefountain/trailer1/

The full trailer is finally out. ^

Can anyone say incredible?

Dusty
The cinematography in Darren's movies are a pure adrenaline rush.

This looks far more than promising.

Solo
I couldn't agree more.

Dusty
That trailer is better than most movies. laughing

What really caught me was the supernova in front of Jackman. Now THAT'S a shot.

Solo
I'm eager to see how they can roll up what seems to be an epic in 98 minutes.

Yeah, that was an awesome shot. Jackman is bound to at least be nominated for one oscar. Considering he's starring in both this and "The Prestige".

SnakeEyes
It looks really cool.

I'll defintiely have to see this.

~Da Rev~
I love Darren Aronofsky. Requiem and Pi are two of my favorite movies. He is an amazing director. Can't wait for this one and ones that comes next

Ya Krunk'd Floo
Does anyone know when this is actually going to be released? I heard that possibly, definitely, maybe it'll be out in October. Is that set in stone?

Edit: Holy shit! That's a great poster!

Ya Krunk'd Floo
Too late for an Edit-edit, so...

I just saw the new trailer...FDHJSFAHDJKLVCLHXZLJKGVHUOAOIHVJKLH! Looks ammodably amazing!

('ammodably' is a new adverb I have invented. Welcome.)

Dr. Strangelove
Looks ammodably (I like your new adverb, Floowink ) awesome!

Mansell is doing the score again. Yes!!!

Tex
Cant wait, its supposed to have its premier at the Venice film festival.

Solo
I wish I could be at the Venice Film Festival; watch the world premier of both this and Inland Empire...

Ya Krunk'd Floo
Man-o-man-o-man! I wanna see this movie! I love that last shot in the trailer of the body flying up with all that liquid gold glooping off it. Looks sweet.

Ya Krunk'd Floo

ladygrim
I think this sounds very intresting ... i saw a review of it on telly this morning and they said it was very 'trippy'

tbizzle
Hey Everyone,
This is my first post. I was wondering if anyone had any info on the special effects in The Fountain. It releases next friday and it looks pretty good. I am a big Darren ARonofsky fan but this film seems quite a bit difference from his others: PI and Requiem for a Dream. HE has never used special effects like I saw in the trailer. If you havent seen the trailer check it out.

Vim
First off welcome to the KMC Forums! Hope you stick around. Second, yes the trailer looks off the hook! And the special effects are mind blowing! I'm really hopeing for a reall mindFreak with this one similar to the Matrix's mind blowing "We're really all batteries powering the machines and caught in a virtual world..." I hope the Fountain has that same kind of mind blowing effect! Again welcome and enjoy!

Solo
Considering it's incredibly low budget, it's impressive. The Fountain is released on Wednesday, by the way. I expect it to be far better than The Matrix, too.

The Core
$35 is "low budget"? They made "Hostel" for less than $5 million, and it grossed $80M worldwide.

Solo
Originally posted by The Core
$35 is "low budget"? They made "Hostel" for less than $5 million, and it grossed $80M worldwide.
It's being called one of the greatest Sci-Fi film of all time, so yeah, I'd call $35 million low budget.

How is Hostel grossing $80 million worldwide relevent? Just proves that there's a lot of douchebags.

=Tired Hiker=
Originally posted by Solo
How is Hostel grossing $80 million worldwide relevent? Just proves that there's a lot of douchebags.

w00t

Aizen
hahaha...you're kinda right there solo!

it looks good....and Darren has done a splendid job with Pi

will it be good like matrix...I don't think so...but from the trailer we see that the movie has some deep meaning and ideas that will probably touch our imagination!

Lets wait and see!

Ya Krunk'd Floo
Only a few days to go...

http://www.darkhorizons.com/2006/fountain/fount8.jpg

http://ticklebooth.com/wp-content/uploads/2006/04/thefountain.jpg

Solo
I'll be seeing it tonight. All of my friends say it was fantastic, meanwhile it's kinda being slammed by the critics. It's not like I care, though. Can't wait! A six year wait, hopefully it doesn't disappoint.

Solo
I just got back, this is a theatrical must see! The visuals are stunning. At times the actings was a bit campy, and wooden, but other than that it was almost everything I expected.

Amazing, it shouldn't be missed.

BackFire
I'll be seeing it Friday. Can't wait, been waiting for this one for ages.

Solo
I just got back from seeing it a second time. I love how Aronofsky used an alternative style of special effects (other than CGI) in the space sequences, it makes everything more organic.

SnakeEyes
I just saw it yesterday.

I really liked it.

Although, I must say, it's pretty damn confusing. wink

It's a great film though. A real mind-bender. thumb up

Solo
Bump.

Mairuzu
Very interesting movie, maybe solo could help me about a bit on some confusing parts, only reason i wanted to see this movie was

1. Rachel Weisz
2. The ending exploding star with heugh jackman in it
and the plot

Aizen
I just cant believe that this movie is 10th on top list and the damn Happy Feet is first...a damn shame!

Rogue Jedi
Originally posted by Ya Krunk'd Floo
Woah! The genius behind 'Pi' and 'Requiem For A Dream' has got a new baby to birth...Check out the trailer:

'The Fountain' Trailer

It looks fantastic and the concept seems out of this world...It spans 1000 years and involves a man's quest for the secret to eternal life. Something about saving his wife, or something...

Anyway, Aronofsky's previous movies are both visually stunning and intellectually stimulating, so mixing this up with some Sci-Fi/fantasy sounds like magic...

Anyone else looking forward to this?
this movie was a giant turd. FJ and i actually walked out on it.

Solo
Originally posted by Mairuzu
Very interesting movie, maybe solo could help me about a bit on some confusing parts, only reason i wanted to see this movie was

1. Rachel Weisz
2. The ending exploding star with heugh jackman in it
and the plot
What do you want explained? Most of it can be interpreted many different ways, so there are quite a few different theories.

Originally posted by Aizen
I just cant believe that this movie is 10th on top list and the damn Happy Feet is first...a damn shame!
Indeed.

Mairuzu
I have my own theories i guess its just one of those movies, pretty interesting, somewhat slow tho, it could have been better but it was still pretty good

didnt understand I know how that guy sacraficed his life to "make the world" with the tree coming out of his stomach, but why was it coming out of Heugh jackmans stomach and mouth? didnt understand that part

offtheset
I expected to either love or hate it. I did neither. It was good, not great, but good. A fun film that I will see again when it comes to DVD.

Originally posted by tbizzle
Hey Everyone,
This is my first post. I was wondering if anyone had any info on the special effects in The Fountain. It releases next friday and it looks pretty good. I am a big Darren ARonofsky fan but this film seems quite a bit difference from his others: PI and Requiem for a Dream. HE has never used special effects like I saw in the trailer. If you havent seen the trailer check it out.

He got this guy, Peter Parks, and his son to do the effects. THey used a series of cameras, prisims, etc. to magnify stuff 500x. Everything you see there is 'stuff' floating in water, lit up, and blown up. The effect is the opposite of CG, they cant actualy recreate anything, but they can approximate with chaos.
didnt understand I know how that guy sacraficed his life to "make the world" with the tree coming out of his stomach, but why was it coming out of Heugh jackmans stomach and mouth? didnt understand that part
The end of that story is just another telling of the point of the film:
He finds the tree of life, and drinking from it dies. Just as it isnt untill Rachel dies that they find the potion of life, and how they can not live again until they die in the supernova.

Solo
I have my own theories i guess its just one of those movies, pretty interesting, somewhat slow tho, it could have been better but it was still pretty good

Well, everything that was set in the medieval times period was from Izzie's book. When she died she wanted him to finish the last chapter. So the part you're talkng about is the last chapter of the book. Tommy finally accepts death and finished the chapter. The tree sprouting out of Tommy is a metaphor for death being a form of creation.

Dusty
Gotta say, this was quite the movie. My dad hated it, though.

Solo
Anyone else end up catching this?

dadudemon

exanda kane
If you liked the film, check out the directors other work, most notably, Requiem For a Dream and Pi. Both are on par with the Fountain.

dadudemon
Originally posted by exanda kane
If you liked the film, check out the directors other work, most notably, Requiem For a Dream and Pi. Both are on par with the Fountain.

That is exactly what my work out buddy said too. Since I respect both of those opinions...it looks like I will then.

Thanx.

Solo
Personally, I think The Fountain is in a league of its' own. I too would recommend you checking out his other work, Pi and Requiem are very good.

BackFire
I enjoyed The Fountain as well, though it had its faults, it was incredibly ambitious and original and he deserves all the credit in the world for making something like that, it's such a rarity in the film world for someone to do something that's truly unique.

It was also a very fascinating film.

dadudemon
I swear upon my Nintendo Wii that I searched all over this place for a thread on this movie and I could not find it. I apologize for starting a new one.

I came up with over 200 posts and none of them were part of a thread like this.

Darth Macabre
I thought it was great. It was ambitious, and I thought it was well played out.

exanda kane
Aronofsky's next project is The Fighter - with Matt Damon and Mark Wahlberg. Sounds intriguing from the get go.

Strangelove
Bumping to help out the dude who made a duplicate thread:

I watched this for the first time of DVD, I'd been interested in it for a while, but never got around to it. It's a very fascinating film, it touches on the very deep points. In the end, I liked it a lot. It's one of those films that can be discussed almost endlessly, a real tour de force of originality and philosophical heft.

I was very satisfied.

ragesRemorse
i really dig aronofsky's works and vision, but the fountain was a bit to ambiguous and slow for me. However, it was intriguing and well made none the less. You may say my second remark contradicts my first statement and you would be right. The movie had a an almost tangible tone, as well as vivid emotion, but it took to long to realize the story and characters. THe main character was very one dimensional in the first half of the film. I do appreciate arronofsky's drive to deliver his vision without compromising it by kneeling to the masses and making the story more appealing to the general audience.

DARKLORDCAEDUS
The Fountain was a fair film, both visually and stunningly. The story was a bit convoluted but otherwise entertaining. Jackman and Weisz gave good performances.

fruits
without a doubt one of the most amazing movies i've seen. Just how all the storylines from seperate times come together so smoothly into one story.

Also another thing that i really liked, was that if you watch the bonus features you find out that they were gonna shoot this movie a long time ago, and Brad Pitt was going to be the star. Basically, Pitt bailed and they had to shut everything down. Then they brought it back up a few years later with Jackman on board. I think it's really crazy to think about how different the movie would've been with Brad Pitt as the lead. Which really goes to show how much Hugh Jackman really brought to this movie as an actor.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.