Humanism/Neo Darwinism and their Manifestos..How have they benefited modern society?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

whobdamandog
The Renaissance was initiated by the Christian Ideology that "God" commanded man to "subdue the earth", rather than the Humanistic overtures that are alluded to in Modern Science.

The masses have become so indoctrinated now a days, that they don't even realize TOE/Neo Darwinism..is nothing more than "New Age" Humanism.

Supporters of the Faith..Please explain to me how society has progressed and enhanced due to Humanistic philosophy...scientifically and Morally?

KharmaDog
I see, trying to make others defend their belief so that you don't have to defend yours. Interesting tactic to try and restore some respectability or false sense of superiority.

Interesting, but pretty transparent.

whobdamandog
Originally posted by KharmaDog
I see, trying to make others defend their belief so that you don't have to defend yours. Interesting tactic to try and restore some respectability or false sense of superiority.

Interesting, but pretty transparent.

Actually I'm not trying to make anyone defend themselves..I truly want to know what you all believe the benefits Humanism has played in the scheme of things. Simple questions, and they aren't meant to prove anyone wrong or restore credibility..you take things way to personally. I don't base the opinions of myself on the "opinions" of others..so I rarely take offense to what is posted on these forums.

So rather than detract from the topic of the thread..why don't you answer the Questions K-dog. I'm very interested in hearing yours and others responses.

yerssot
Originally posted by whobdamandog
The Renaissance was initiated by the Christian Ideology that "God" commanded man to "subdue the earth", rather than the Humanistic overtures that are alluded to in Modern Science.

The masses have become so indoctrinated now a days, that they don't even realize TOE/Neo Darwinism..is nothing more than "New Age" Humanism.

Supporters of the Faith..Please explain to me how society has progressed and enhanced due to Humanistic philosophy...scientifically and Morally?
laughing out loud

Renaissance isn't purely about religion. You DO know that they, and you can clearly see that in the art, went back to the Greek and Roman era, right? Up to my knowledge, those geezers didn't believe in the christian god... Should I give you a list of paintings where you see the human is placed in the centre and not god and there being no relation to any religion in it either.
The new way of thinking that wasn't pure about religion...
Should I go on or will you study history?

New Age Humanism? Wait... You make it sound like a bad thing. confused
Lets go with the greatest Humanist of the Lowlands: Erasmus.
His "more rational conception of Christian doctrine, and to emancipate men's minds from the frivolous and pedantic methods of the scholastic theologians." is a bad thing? His work to study the bible in the original language and to promote learning Latin and Greek is bad too?
The abuses and follies of the various classes of society should go on without someone standing up, like he did in "The Praise of Folly"?
Should I go on about him?
Anyway, these things are bad?

And to your last: Can't answer that, I'm not religious.

->
(I forgot who said it)
"In a world that is searching for truth and facts, the religious person is in the margin of society, wanting warmth from an organisation instead of developing their intellect."

Ushgarak
The source is inaccurate- talking as it is about a now long outdatted idea.

Plenty of Humanists these days believe in objective morals. That is simply a matter of philosophy.

Even those that do not, still believe in the extreme validity of moral life today. Their philisophical justifications for this vary.

The only important definition of Humanism- as opposed to simply not having a belief structure at all- is that it acknowledges no God yet believes in the importance of morality nonetheless. That is what Humanism is about.

I would also submit that it is not hugely relevant whether Humanism has benefitted Modern society or not; it;s still a valid belief, and trth has virtue gregardless of benefit to society, and I see much truth in their views.

As it is, the idea of a moral society without it being compounded by the often immoral interjections made by relgiion is great indeed- that's the benefit of the same ideal as Humanism. You can be good without religion playing a part.

FeceMan
Whob...stop with your crusade on evolution vs. ID. Defend your--our--beliefs rationally and intelligently. No matter what you post here--or lots of other forums--it is going to be seen as an attempt to undermine science, force your views on others, etc. and you will be criticized and mocked for it. Let them make the threads, let them start the fight, and debate on their terms only.

And then let us die, and we will see who is correct.

whobdamandog
Originally posted by FeceMan
Whob...stop with your crusade on evolution vs. ID. Defend your--our--beliefs rationally and intelligently. No matter what you post here--or lots of other forums--it is going to be seen as an attempt to undermine science, force your views on others, etc. and you will be criticized and mocked for it. Let them make the threads, let them start the fight, and debate on their terms only.

And then let us die, and we will see who is correct.

I understand your point. But I'm really no trying to start a crusade. I truly would like to know why so many people believe now a days that humanistic doctrine is "beneficial" to mankind.

In regards to Ush and Yers responses..I'll reply to you all in a bit, as you can see..I've currently just finished responding in a few other threads, however I will pose you both with a few questions before I post an in depth response..

What are the benefits of moral relativity that Humanism preaches?

Doesn't moral relativity and escapism just set the stage for one to eventually be overcome by a stronger, deadlier, more imposing force?

Should our laws be based on moral relativity as well? If this is the case..what would prevent a society from becoming an anarchic one?

Darth Jello
because your beliefs are based on a particular religion and therefore not only states that science (or humanism, as you define it) is wrong, but that christianity and it's related faiths is somehow "more correct" than any other belief system. Btw, this might be unique to judaism (my faith), but as far as i recall, the whole story with jacob's ladder was meant to signify that blind faith is a sin and that you should test your beliefs before going along with a story in a book that has little resemblance to it's original text.

Ushgarak
Whob, did you even read my post?

Humanism does NOT automatically imply relativism.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.