Mad-Eye Moody appears in 1830's literature

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Rapscallion
Maybe I'm looking too much into this, but I was wondering if J.K. Rowling based the character of Mad-Eye Moody on the old man in edgar Allan Poe's The Tell-Tale heart. For those of you who don't read, the old man in The Tell-Tale heart lives with the man who will eventually kill him. This is where the likenesses begin. The old man has very interesting eyes. One is normal, the other is larger, and bright ELECTRIC BLUE, just like moody. The narrator believes that this eye is almost magicl, and is capableof seeing through you into your soul to your deepest darkest intentions. The narrator is made uneasy at first by the eye, as Harry is, but unlike Harry, is driven insane by its accusing stare. Furthermore, the old man is extremely paranoid and for good reason. Although he is loving, he is betrayed, killed, and his body is hidden in a confined space as is Mad-Eye's (although it really isn't Mad-Eye). Do you think this is a good asumption to make? what do you think?

P.S. Sorry for the long post.

Saratn
i remember that. and he cuts up the body over the bath tub and puts the parts under the floor boards, and he hears a heart beating, which he thought it was the man's but really his own, as he was talking to the cops.

Rapscallion
It's one of my favorite short stories. wink

Saratn
it's really brilliant

shaber
he is probably named after a character in the Warden

spidey-carnage
i ve read it too! i think it could be a possibilty, i have watched loads of BBC documentaries no J.K (well..1 or 2) and it says all that stuff about how she got the idea 4 fluffy from ceberus (the three headed dog that guards the greek underworld)

ladygrim
i remeber that .....it was kewl and creepy

shaber
How many persons of the murderer's disposition do you think you have met?

hotsauce6548
Oh.

danagrint
I remember that, I loved that story

Rapscallion
If you liked the Tell-Tale Heart you will also like The Black Cat which is another Poe story that is very similar. Also, back to the subject of Hrry Potter, this is pretty obscure and probably has no connection, but Hermione shares the same last name with the character Granger from Farenheit 451. The Granger in that story also an intellectual, just like Hermione. It's a bit of a stretch though.

Raven Guardia
well, I know J.K Rowling takes basic ideas from literature and info from different religions like wicca druids etc for her books which is cool.I have a book that tells things about the books, like unlocking the secrets etc. in part of the book it explains what the names mean and where she got them. for example

Cedric Diggory- Diggory Krike is a hero of some of J.K Rowling's favorite books, the chronicles of Narnia by C.S. Lewis. Notice how Cedric is not far from a rearrangement of Krike.

Marcus Flint- (Captain of the Slytherin Quidditch team)Possibly named for Captain John Flint from Robert Louis Stevenson's Treasure Island.

Gilderoy Lockhart- The first name of this phony refers to his being gilded (covered in a thin gold foil) to make him seem intelligent and attractive. The last name fits his role as a writer of wizard lore. A man named J.G. Lockhart was the son-in-law and biographer of Sir Walter Scott, The Scottish author whose skills earned him the nickname "Wizard of the North"

thats an example of what is in the book about the names under the literature section.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.