"I'm not the Jedi I should be": Destiny, dilemma or fallen hero?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Jedi Priestess
This is a great topic that was posted by Master Shaitan at TFN. Given the lack of decent subject matter around here lately Im going to drag it over here.

discuss....I need to think about my answer for awhile

Bicnarok

overlord
Maybe a little far fetched.. But it could be..

Ken Kenobi
It's a sad day when you have to steal thread ideas from TFN. sick

Ushgarak
No, it's over-analysis.

Anakin did not ever have to go beyond being a Jedi to bring back balance- and many think the title 'Return of the Jedi' refers to Anakin personally.

Anakin starting to distance himself from being as Jedi isn't evidence of any form of understanding, merely that he is losing his morals as his selfishness grows; Palpatine knows exactly how to play on this.

Jedi Priestess
Originally posted by Ken Kenobi
It's a sad day when you have to steal thread ideas from TFN. sick

Your absolutely right! Lets get back to these worthwhile and important questions:

eek!

Ken Kenobi
Originally posted by Jedi Priestess
Your absolutely right! Lets get back to these worthwhile and important questions:

eek!

I'm not saying that...I'm just saying TFN sucks, and when their threads are better than ours, it's a sad day.

Jedi Priestess
Indeed. sad

Ken Kenobi
The only real thread worth going to is the BAR, and that's off-topic. stick out tongue

BAILY
I stop by now and again to see how much farther this forum has gone down the toilet.. and I am never not surprised at the answer....

Ken Kenobi
I should ask to be a mod again, for 2 days...just to close threads. stick out tongue

Jedi Priestess
Would there be anything left though. Not much around here worthy of discussion.messed

BAILY
Originally posted by Ken Kenobi
I should ask to be a mod again, for 2 days...just to close threads. stick out tongue

You should Ken... at least you are here frequently... and hell, even if you were mod for 2 hrs you could clean this place up... wink

SithHappens
I believe Anakin was not acting upon motives of Jedi or Sith. It is clear that everything he did was only for his wife and child. Unfortunately, he fell down a dark path to accomplish his goals, which he soon lost sight of. If any of you have ever read John Steinbeck's The Pearl, it's story line is nearly a perfect juxtaposition to the story in RotS. A poor man finds a pearl, which he wants to sell to make life better for his family (a wife and a single male baby) greed corrupts him and (I don't want to give away any endings) his original good intentions are never realized. Very similar to Anakin's story IMO.

El_NINO
I think it has to do with the fact he was trained but was already old to be trained. In a way he has been "spoiled" because he has learned to loves others so when he states the differences between sith and jedi hes making the statement because he is niether and therefore must decide which is the best path for him.

Canadadude
El Nino is right. In the Episode II or III commentary, Lucas does explains that Anakin had to many personal attachments in his life. First his mother, and then Padme. If the Jedi had found him as a baby they would have taught him to let go of his personal feelings. Anakin's was his downfall. However, his personal feelings did bring him back from the dark side. He was an unique Jedi.

Numo
No I think that Jedi Priestess has raised a very good point. Unfortunately people fall into old habits, over simplify and believe that only one answer exists - the simplest one - when the script is multi-layered.

I don't believe that Jedi Priestess is over analysising this at all. Far from it, she's found a new depth which must be explored.

Ultimately I believe QG was right finding Anakin was the will of the Force. No matter what he would have come to know the ways of the Force but the fact that it would have been at such a late stage meant that Anakin would never have been a normal Jedi or Sith for that matter. It was as if the force had other ideas for him, a greater purpose perhaps.

Ushgarak
I didn't say JP was onver-analysing it, I said the original source was.

And Star Wars IS simple, I am afraid. And there is no reason at all Anakin should not have been a normal Jedi, if his teaching had been done right.

queeq
It was his fate though... starting his training so late in life. That is, without an evil daddy to serve as an example why NOT to turn to the Dark Side.

exanda kane
That's one of the limiting factors in Star Wars movies (the films in particular) they is nothing to interpret in your own way! Everythings simple linear =(

Jedi Priestess
Exactly, fate hath played a hand in his overall destiny.

bilb
it does in everyone's tho doesnt it?

Jedi Priestess
Not mine, Im magical! eek!

queeq
She is. I know.

chinabing
And there is no reason at all Anakin should not have been a normal Jedi, if his teaching had been done right.
Of this I'm not so sure. That's like saying if your football team hadn't lost its quarterback to a knee injury, you would have won the last 3 games. There's too many other things and people involved.

Yoda and the council may have been right in their first decision not to train Anakin. He's too old, his future is clouded, he has much fear in him. Three big strikes against him. And we don't know this, but I think the council changed its mind because of Anakin's power. Would it be better for Anakin to be trained as a Jedi? Or not trained, and therefore cut loose and be a regular joe, (and then perhaps the Sith would find him). Once Anakin destroyed the droid control ship in Ep I, everybody knew about him, including Sith Lord Palpatine. So after the Battle for Naboo, the council made the right decision to train him rather than cutting him loose.

Now hindsight is 20/20, but perhaps the council's error lies in not taking Anakin to be trained immediatly upon Qui-Gon's request. (Then Anakin wouldn't have gone to Naboo and the perhaps the separtists would have won the battle.) But since the council's own guidelines and trusted knowledge said it would not be a good idea, indeed turning down Qui-Gon was the best choice at the time.

It also was perhaps the best choice at the time for Anakin to become Obi-Wan's padawan, but again 20/20 hindsight says it was a failure. Maybe Obi-Wan was too young to have a padawan, as Anakin was too old to be one. But as "the chosen one," shouldn't Anakin have had the best training possible, i.e. as Yoda's apprentice?

As much as Obi-Wan says he failed, "Chose this, young Skywalker did," Yoda said in the book. Anakin failed by keeping attachments and failing to come clean. Anakin wanted to have great power, (helped by Palpatine's poisoning), and keep his wife. When Padme asks him "Do you think Obi-Wan can help us?" Anakin said no. That was a huge turning point for Anakin. I have the highest regard for Obi-Wan that he would have done anything to help Anakin, if he would only explain his situation. A pregnant wife is something that can't be hidden for long.

queeq
With Anakin as a normal Jedi there would be no SW, so I'm happy he chose for the Dark Side.

DucLangur
Yes, I was thinking the exact same thing. It is almost as he has set himself apart from both sides. Remember he is no ordinary Jedi, he has feelings, real emotions. He is really at this point in the middle. He doesn't trust the jedi as much, but he certainly dislikes the sith ways, until...he learns of Darth Plaugeus

queeq
Yes, it gave him a 'moral' reason to go for more power.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.