Technology issues

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Twilight Janick

Twilight Janick
Or otherwise, just say that whatever was used at Dagorlad (3440 S.A.) was the best of pre-gunpowder technology. And that in 3018 T.A., gunpowder research was at its crudest stage. I thought that from Dagorlad, they might have developed gunpowder weapons to such an extent that they might have M1s or bazookas to throw at Mordor Orcs or B-2s to bomb Barad-Dur or the Black Gate.

eezy45
1) then... Frodo would probably look like the guy in your avatar.
2) gunpowder just doesn't really fit into fantasy stories about elves, orcs and stuff, don't ya think...

Flying High
um....middle earth would be in rubble?

Twilight Janick
I'll tell you that gunpowder was used at Helm's Deep. And secondly, F-22 pilot helmets are anti-glare and have an oxygen mask, which the guy in my avatar doesn't have. Imagine the Moria Subway, for instance.

Flying High
oh bejesus.....

DanielLB
If the book had all that rubbish you said.....it wouldnt be LOTR it would be more like, lord of the guns, and set in space with jedi knights!!

Hit_and_Miss
and the one ring was actually the one nuclear missile??

perhaps the counter attack gandolf led at helms deep should of had Abraham tanks..

Maybe they should digitaly edit it soo all the archers are actually snipers and all the ocks have chop sticks....

Talk about a waste of time...

Flying High
but...its not no expression

DanielLB
a waste of space and a waste of time answering to this pathetic post?!

Twilight Janick
There is no blasters in the scenario I laid out. The counterattack should have been of rail guns (still small enough to be carried over by infantry) and the rail guns could be dismissed as being magic implements, as would be all gunpowder-based weapons in Middle-Earth.

From what I know, the Mordor Orcs would have only have two occasions to capture the technology: either by capturing Minas ithil, or Osgiliath.

Flying High
are you obsessed with the army and guns?

Gen. Chambers
Running out of ideas for GOOD threads I see

Twilight Janick

Gen. Chambers
Same thing a raging flood would do

Twilight Janick

Gen. Chambers
Did you not see Fellowship of the Ring?

Twilight Janick

DanielLB
Well ur a hit dumb then if you cant remember. This post is pointless and it WOULD NEVER happen....it was set over 6000 years ago....they only made proper guns this century!!!! Get over it! (the flood (in film) was made by arwen....you might wanna wtach it b4 u post)

Flying High
when the nazgul were following her and frodo to get the ring...

Twilight Janick

Bar-en-Danwedh
silliest...

thread...

everrrr....

http://www.simpsonsweb.com/img-news/196.jpg

Shadow x 20

Twilight Janick

DanielLB
How about.............you shut up now

Mandos

Twilight Janick

Shadow x 20
Let's see. Mankin on Earth has been around for what? A few million years and they were around on Middle-Earth like what a few thousand?

Twilight Janick
Don't foget that before the First Age it was Middle-Earth prehistory, so Middle-Earth might also have been around for millions of years.

DanielLB
What is your point here? Stop being so anoying and go back to what hole you crawled out from (it sounds mean but your annoying the hell out of all of us!!)

Twilight Janick
Originally posted by DanielLB
What is your point here? Stop being so anoying and go back to what hole you crawled out from (it sounds mean but your annoying the hell out of all of us!!)

I meant that if Middle-Earth prehistory was about a few millions of years too (assuming it's on a class-M planet that followed the same kind of evolution as Earth) maybe Middle-Earth technology would be, by 3018 T.A., at BEST at our level, if we assume first that in 3441 S.A. the technology was the best of pre-gunpowder era. At worse, it would be in the early days of gunpowder.

Shadow x 20
Take that technology bull**** some place else because it is not wanted in Middle-Earth.

Twilight Janick
Originally posted by Shadow x 20
Take that technology bull**** some place else because it is not wanted in Middle-Earth.

Can somebody explain it to me in further detail as to why do science/technology issues wouldn't be discussed here? Or as to why would technology wouldn't have any place in Middle-Earth?

I thought since it was solely for LOTR, that would go in there.

DanielLB
LOTR is fantasy/ficition! Do you see gunpowder/guns/explosives in any other fantasy film. For example: LOTR....no...theres magic
Harry Potter......no.....theres magic
Nania....no.....theres magic
SW.....yes.....BUT IS SCIFI!
the wizard of oz....no.......adventure and weirdness in this film...BUT NO GUNS!
king kong..........no gunpowder...
Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs......absolotly no guns!

You get our point?

Flying High
lol....this is just amusing....

DanielLB
Indeed....but very annoying big grin

Twilight Janick
Originally posted by DanielLB
LOTR is fantasy/ficition! Do you see gunpowder/guns/explosives in any other fantasy film. For example: LOTR....no...theres magic
Harry Potter......no.....theres magic
Nania....no.....theres magic
SW.....yes.....BUT IS SCIFI!
the wizard of oz....no.......adventure and weirdness in this film...BUT NO GUNS!
king kong..........no gunpowder...
Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs......absolotly no guns!

You get our point?

I saw LOTR actuallyusing gunpowder, in Helm's Deep (The Two Towers).
King Kong, it is based in New York of the 1930's or 1940's. There were guns in that era.
Godzilla (the very first one): killed by napalm, which is more advanced than gunpowder.

DanielLB
Originally posted by Twilight Janick
I saw LOTR actuallyusing gunpowder, in Helm's Deep (The Two Towers).
King Kong, it is based in New York of the 1930's or 1940's. There were guns in that era.
Godzilla (the very first one): killed by napalm, which is more advanced than gunpowder.

Its not gunpowder...you might want to look a bit closer!

King Kong fair enough but i said no gunpowder:P

Godzilla......thats a crap film anyway!

Flying High
and it was set in our time wasnt it :s

Twilight Janick
LOTR is unique because of its technology advances. Two during the Third Age, cloning and gunpowder. Gunpowder is used here as an explosive.

But what was used at Helm's Deep to blow up part of the Deeping Wall if it wasn't gunpowder?

Twilight Janick
I'm asking that if what's used at Helm's Deep to blow up part of the Deeping Wall is not gunpowder, what it is then?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.