George Best what a waster? taken from elsewhere

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Ron Jeremy
For the non Europeans at KMC George best is the soccer player Pele described as "the best player he'd ever seen. A sublime talent and an alcholoic, he has had one Liver transplant and is back drinking.

From the Mirror -

It sounds callous. It even feels a little bit callous. But I don't have any sympathy for George Best.

Of course, I hope he gets better. I hope he makes a full recovery. But to me, his life has been one big waste.

A waste of all those sublime moments of genius, a waste of half a career, a waste of years of a magnificent talent.

A waste of a life after football, a life spent in the fog of alcoholism, a life spent letting people down, a life becoming a parody of himself.

A waste of a second chance and, most importantly, a waste of a liver that could have been given to another.

Someone else would have given everything for that chance of a new life that Best was given when he got his liver transplant.

Someone else might have been able to prolong their lives for 20 years with that new liver. Have children maybe. See grandchildren perhaps.

But Best wasted that, too, and for that more than anything else, he forfeited his right to be indulged and excused any longer.

He really is a sad man sad

thoughts?

grey fox
I think the bastard shouldn't of been given the new liver .

If he wasn't a football star he would have died , instead he gets as new liver for a petty reason and then wastes it let the ****er rot is all i say mad

(sorry for my profanities but this guy really winds me up)

Ron Jeremy
Originally posted by grey fox

If he wasn't a football star he would have died , instead he gets as new liver for a petty reason and then wastes it let the ****er rot is all i say mad

(sorry for my profanities but this guy really winds me up)

he winds me up as well, no apology needed :no smilie needed:

Hit_and_Miss
Theres an inhibitor that blocks the enzyme that breaks alcohol down... with this process stopped you can die from drinking alcohol very easy... its used as a deterren for alocholicst....

He took it... and then continued to drink....

grey fox
Dumb bastard.

Ron Jeremy
Originally posted by Hit_and_Miss
Theres an inhibitor that blocks the enzyme that breaks alcohol down... with this process stopped you can die from drinking alcohol very easy... its used as a deterren for alocholicst....

He took it... and then continued to drink....

I know - your point is?

is it A- Alcoholism is a disease George can't help himself
or B - something relevant?

Slay

(sorry for my profanities but this guy really winds me up) ]

Have you ever even seen any footage of the man...you're just basing your opinion on him through this article.Anycrap he was from the 60's anyway,so **** that,he's ancient by now anyway...

grey fox
Hmmmm do you know a guy called spelljammer

KharmaDog
Let him drown himself in a bottle and go away. Yes it's sad he got a liver when someone else who would have made a better use of the opportunity went without. Now all we can do is move on, learn from the stupidity, and not repeat the same mistake.

Hit_and_Miss
Originally posted by Ron Jeremy
I know - your point is?

is it A- Alcoholism is a disease George can't help himself
or B - something relevant?

c - hes a fool.... part of it can be blamed on the lifestyle oftered to him once becoming a football player... the majority for not having enough self control to realise everything needs to have moderation... or even good things can be bad...

Slay
Hmmmm do you know a guy called spelljammer

Well i think i don't need to prove i'm NOT Spelljammer roll eyes (sarcastic)

Slay
Look the man is in his 50's by now,so does it really matter anymore?

Ron Jeremy
Originally posted by Hit_and_Miss
c - hes a fool.... part of it can be blamed on the lifestyle oftered to him once becoming a football player... the majority for not having enough self control to realise everything needs to have moderation... or even good things can be bad...

Your right - well done

further to this though he wasted genius talent prior to his Liver problems that also angers me.

Fire
the name rings a bell but which team did he play for?

Deano
its a shame whats happened. the picture in the tabloids actually mad me feel sorry for him

here is a clip from the footballing genius
http://www.kenn.com/videos/george_best3.mpeg
July 22, 1981 in San Jose, CA - In what is often referred to as the greatest goal ever scored in the old North American Soccer League, 35-year-old George Best proved he still had something left even after many hard-living years in England. This goal was an individual thing of beauty, as Best beat no fewer than six defenders en route to paydirt against the Ft.Lauderdale Strikers

Deano
Originally posted by Fire

manchester united

jaden101
i think the public is swiftly losing sympathy for him because of the lifestyle he still leads

no doubt when he does die there will be all the crap about how good a player he was etc etc...even if he was only the second best player never to have played in a world cup

Ron Jeremy
Originally posted by Fire

Manchester United and Ireland

http://www.ifhof.com/hof/best.asp

Ron Jeremy
Originally posted by jaden101
i think the public is swiftly losing sympathy for him because of the lifestyle he still leads

no doubt when he does die there will be all the crap about how good a player he was etc etc...even if he was only the second best player never to have played in a world cup

who do you think was better Jade?

and yes Dean sometimes I feel sorry for him and I hope he pulls through, I still think he is very selfish.

jaden101
Originally posted by Ron Jeremy
who do you think was better Jade?

and yes Dean sometimes I feel sorry for him and I hope he pulls through, I still think he is very selfish.

a player who was better and never played in the world cup was marco van basten of Holland...he would've played in 1990 had he not got a double knee injury...magnificent player

check out this thread for an example of the genius of van basten

http://www.killermovies.com/forums/f71/t341113.html

Fire
Aah now it's coming back to me.

Slay
a player who was better and never played in the world cup was marco van basten of Holland...he would've played in 1990 had he not got a double knee injury...magnificent player

http://www.killermovies.com/forums/f71/t341113.html

Ah yes...

Fantastic player,terrible coach sad

jaden101
Originally posted by Slay
Ah yes...

Fantastic player,terrible coach sad

true of so many...

Ron Jeremy

http://www.killermovies.com/forums/f71/t341113.html Van basten was great I agree, but I am unsure if he was more gifted than best - he was definately a more rounded man.

Deano
god bless

Sir Whirlysplat
Yup I wish him moe balance in the next life than he found in this

George Best dies

By Olesya Dmitracova

LONDON (Reuters) - Soccer genius George Best, whose flamboyant life spanned the heights of sporting success to the depths of alcoholism, died on Friday at the age of 59.

The Northern Irishman, widely regarded as the only British footballer in the same league as Pele, Diego Maradona and Johan Cruyff, died in the London hospital where he had spent the final two months of his life, drifting in and out of consciousness.

"My father has passed away," Best's tearful son Calum told reporters on the hospital steps. "Not only have I lost my dad but we've all lost a wonderful man.

A hospital spokesman said Best died of multiple organ failure. He had suffered infection and internal bleeding in recent weeks and had problems with his liver and kidneys.

Tributes poured in for the man who emerged from the back streets of Belfast to become one of sport's biggest icons and -- as the first superstar footballer -- an integral part of London's Swinging Sixties scene.

Denis Law, who played with Best in the great United sides of the late 1960s, and Paul Gascoigne -- a similarly talented yet self-destructive footballer -- were among those who spoke of their sadness and loss.

"Manchester United's glorious history has been created by people like George Best," said Bobby Charlton, who spent almost 10 years alongside him at Old Trafford.

"Anyone who witnessed what George could do on the pitch wished they could do the same. He made an immense contribution to the game, and enriched the lives of everyone who saw him play.

Prime Minister Tony Blair, attending a summit in Malta, described Best as "probably the most naturally gifted footballer of his generation and one of the best footballers our country has produced.

Football authorities said a minute's silence would be observed at English league matches this weekend as a mark of respect.

Best will be remembered as one of the greatest flawed geniuses in the world of sport.

Blessed with sublime skills, he conquered Old Trafford and Wembley, winning the European Cup with United in 1968 when he was crowned European Footballer of the Year.

But he walked out on United in his mid-twenties and spent the rest of his career at modest sides in the lower reaches of English soccer and in the United States.

He spent the last few years of his life as Britain's most infamous alcoholic, staggering from one embarrassing chat show interview to another.

His marriage to a glamour model collapsed in the 1980s when he admitted he had a drink problem. He underwent a liver transplant in 2002 but never managed to quit the drink.

"I spent a lot of my money on booze, birds and fast cars," Best said in his most memorable comment on his roller-coaster life.

"The rest I just squandered."

One of his former managers at United, Tommy Docherty, acknowledged Best's unique talent, but added: "He would have been even better if he'd been able to pass nightclubs the way he passed a ball.

It is a measure of how far Best fell from grace that he played his last competitive match for a prison side while in jail for a drink-driving offence.

Best always maintained he had achieved all he wanted.

But, ultimately, he won just two English league titles as well as the European Cup -- a travesty for a footballer of his talent playing in one of the greatest club sides in the world.

And unlike Brazil's Pele, Argentina's Maradona and Holland's Cruyff, who came from major footballing nations, Best, from Northern Ireland, never got the chance to play in a World Cup.

As Best's friend, chat show host Michael Parkinson, once said: "The only tragedy George Best has to confront is that he will never know how good he could have been".

Alpha Centauri
Said before, will say again.

He got given a second chance, he blew it. I feel sorry for his family but his life ended the only way it was going to end and he didn't take the chance to stop it.

No pity for the man.

-AC

Sir Whirlysplat
Originally posted by Alpha Centauri

He got given a second chance, he blew it. I feel sorry for his family but his life ended the only way it was going to end and he didn't take the chance to stop it.

No pity for the man.

-AC

I mourn the waste and I wish him Peace

jaden101

No pity for the man.

-AC

not only did he get a second chance but it he got it on the back of his fame...and more importantly...at the expense of someone else

makes it all the more infuriating and insulting that he literally pissed his second chance up the wall

Alpha Centauri
Originally posted by Sir Whirlysplat
I mourn the waste and I wish him Peace

Why mourn the waste? He doesn't.

-AC

Sir Whirlysplat
Why mourn the waste? He doesn't.

-AC

Because obviously waste makes me sad - I suspect he regretted it recently sad

Alpha Centauri
Originally posted by Sir Whirlysplat
Because obviously waste makes me sad - I suspect he regretted it recently sad

"Tough shit" I believe is the applicable phrase there.

-AC

Sir Whirlysplat
A tribute to Georges skills

http://www.msn.co.uk/news/tributetogeorgebest/

amity75
I'm getting his tribute DVD for my Christmas - "100 Best Beards"

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.