The United Nations

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Darth_Erebus
Why does this organization exist? It was supposedly created to end war and help development in less developed nations.

In these it has failed miserably. In the sixty years it has existed there is still almost constant war somewhere on earth. Nuclear weapons, not the UN, is the reason we haven't had WWIII.

Poor countries are still poor, the UN has done very little to help modernize them.

I say it is time to shut this useless body down. All it does is tax the resources of wealthier nations while producing no real benefit for the world.

Snoopbert
yes

Julie
true enough....I think the principles behind the organization are good but the logistics aren't so sound b/c common flaws of humanity...bureaucracy at it's best

soleran30
Wait no maybe if we just add one more little dept in the UN you know to review the people reviewing world sanctions and distributions it will all work outsmile

Gov't is like one living breathing creature it wants to grow and devour....

Fire
The UN doesn't work perfect, far from it to be exact. But it has called into existence a lot of other organisations who do do a great job.
e.g the UNaids program (which has proven its effect), UNICEF, the fighting of landmines, the helping countries with holding elections, Not to forget UN peacekeepers, they don't always work out, but sometimes they do (and they still are the only legitimate form of peacekeeping troops there is)

World politics does need a forum where things can be debatted, even if the UN itself does not have a lot of power or impact. The UN represents an ideal for the world to strive towards, I think giving up on that ideal would be a bad thing.

IMO the UN is far from ideal, but I think we should focus on making it better than aboloshing it.

xmarksthespot
Originally posted by Darth_Erebus
Why does this organization exist? It was supposedly created to end war and help development in less developed nations. It was created to prevent war between countries, however the manner in which it was designed has always been a hindrance on the body's ability to intervene in affairs that can be deemed as "domestic". The veto rights and permanent security council membership granted to of the five victorious powers of WWII aren't exactly helpful to its authority either.
In these it has failed miserably. In the sixty years it has existed there is still almost constant war somewhere on earth. Nuclear weapons, not the UN, is the reason we haven't had WWIII.It's a forum not an army. Nuclear non-proliferation is just one of the areas where member nations flout the restrictions they themselves impose, and the idea that everyone having nuclear weapons provides international and regional stability is ludicrous.
Poor countries are still poor, the UN has done very little to help modernize them. Continuing agricultural subsidies in developed nations and unfair trade restrictions that impede economic growth in developing nations and a failure by member states to meet the foreign aid goals set by the United Nations are probably just a few of the causative factors here.
I say it is time to shut this useless body down. All it does is tax the resources of wealthier nations while producing no real benefit for the world. The U.N. does need to be reformed. However it and it's agencies, UNICEF, WFP, UNAIDS, WHO, currently does and has done a lot of good work in the world e.g. smallpox, polio eradication programmes. Its ability to function is only as effective as its member nations allow it to be.

Fire
thx for the last point X, I forgot a few organisations.

Bicnarok
What do you think of the U.N

SelphieT
I think the U.N. is a good idea, but only if people actually go through with what they recommend.

Damn that president Bush.

Strangelove
I love the idea, but it's been poorly implemented

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.