Honor Students

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Tptmanno1
I have been thinking about this for a while, and it's interesting to think about especially because I consider myself and honor student, but I was wondering if this is a general trend or if my high school is just more messed up than others.

But I've noticed that the "honor student" seems to be more at home with doing illegal behavior, including, but not limited too:
Drug Usage but also including Meth and even cocaine sometimes...
Cigarette and alcohol usage know many honor students who smoke regularly, although I am not one of them, and I am also not suprised to find a 5th of Jack in my friends car, and he was a Potential valedictorian, and still has above a 4.0 (weighted if you know what that means...)
Sex and sexual acts- I know many peers who have had sex, or done other sexual acts at younger age, and I can't say i blame them... I also can't say that, given the opportunity I wouldn't do the same.

and largely Cheating.
I seriously do not know anyone who is in high level classes that does not cheat on a regular basis, Valedictorians, students, etc. Everyone basically.

I was wondering if anyone notices the same thing? Or any theories on why this happens.

Lana
Hmm.....can't say that that was the trend at my school, at least. I was an honor student in high school (and, as I was told many many times, would have graduated top of my class had I done my homework more often), and I never did ANY of that stuff. While it seemed like there was a decent percentage of people in my class who had by our senior year had sex, it didn't seem like the proportion of honor students doing it was larger or anything. Cheating wasn't really that prevelant beyond the whole "what did you get on that question on the homework" thing. Well, except for vocab quizzes in my German class where a good half the class would be blantantly cheating...but that also had to do with a completely clueless teacher. I've NEVER cheated on anything (never needed to), and only once did anyone cheat off me, and boy did I let them know I was not happy with it.

Anyway, what you say is basically completely the opposite of what my school was like.

Tptmanno1
Really? How interesting.
Seriously, I've cheated on more stuff than I can remember, from just straight out homework to tests... I think that it almost becomes essential with the stress they are putting on us here now. AP tests,"You won't get into college if you don't get/do ____"
and I could name people I KNOW I could get drugs off of. Including Cheerleaders, who strangly fit into the "honor student" section of school....

Lana
I get stressed out over schoolwork and stuff too, and they really lay that heavy on us too. Especially with AP.....gah. Drove me up the damn wall and I'm so glad I don't have to worry about that anymore. But I don't like the idea of getting credit for someone else's work; I've got an overly-active conscience and even if I knew I'd get away with it I wouldn't feel right doing it.

My high school was VERY clique-oriented, I hated it.....

KidRock
I'm an honors student and I know what you are talking about. We have the same trend going on around here. Lots of sex and lots of drugs go on with the honor students.

-hh-
**** Honor Students (excluding me stick out tongue)

most of them are ****ing dumbasses that cheat their way through everything. i dunno if the same things happen at your high schools, but alot of people cheat and dont stop cheaitng till they get all A's. i work my ass off and for what? they get into a good college and i dont...

i guess its just survival of the fittest

Fire
Originally posted by Tptmanno1
Really? How interesting.
Seriously, I've cheated on more stuff than I can remember, from just straight out homework to tests... I think that it almost becomes essential with the stress they are putting on us here now. AP tests,"You won't get into college if you don't get/do ____"
and I could name people I KNOW I could get drugs off of. Including Cheerleaders, who strangly fit into the "honor student" section of school....

Personally I never cheated on a test, might have checked an answer on a test with my neighbor after I turned it in, but that's how far it goes.

Now about homework, IMO that's not cheating sure it ain't fair and it doesn't help if you copy it. But if they let you take it home and stuff they should better be prepared for it.
That whole thing of "You won't get into college if you don't get/do____" doesn't exist here (thank god) So can't argue with you dare

Also the concept of "honor student" doesn't exist here, and sounds like a damn stupid thing to be honest. IMO there is no need for a school to make groups of students, they already do that way too much themselves.

Imaginary
We don't have honor students. At least not at my school, where the whole place is full of them.

I have to say, smart people in Australia often have no lives whatsoever.

PVS
Originally posted by KidRock
I'm an honors student...

hysterical

laughing out loud rolling on floor laughing laughing roll eyes (sarcastic)

botankus
Originally posted by Tptmanno1
Including Cheerleaders, who strangly fit into the "honor student" section of school....

Your school probably needs to revisit the criteria for dubbing one an "honor student."

It's probably along the SAT guidelines. They changed the scoring so everybody would get at least a 700 even if all they did was drool over the test and then turn it in. It makes people feel special to get a high SAT score or dubbed an "Honor Student." I wouldn't be surprised if 99% of your school was honor students.

Victor Von Doom
What is an 'honors student' exactly?

Lana
Anyone who's grade point average is over a certain number. Ultimately it's meaningless.

And, uh, botankus, a 700 on the SAT is pretty shit stick out tongue and for that matter I AM proud of my SAT (and moreso my ACT) scores stick out tongue

Victor Von Doom
Originally posted by Lana
Anyone who's grade point average is over a certain number. Ultimately it's meaningless.

And, uh, botankus, a 700 on the SAT is pretty shit stick out tongue and for that matter I AM proud of my SAT (and moreso my ACT) scores stick out tongue

Anyone whose grade point average is over a certain number? Either that number is 6, or Kidrock is lying.

soleran30
With all the weighted classes nowawdays GPA scores mean less and less to mean......my AP classes in highschool were not that much harder then accelerated classes....now in AP you get a C and it still counts as a B and blah blah.........so the honor students are smarter nowadays at least in working the systemsmile

Lana
Originally posted by Victor Von Doom
Anyone whose grade point average is over a certain number? Either that number is 6, or Kidrock is lying.

At most schools the GPA goes up to 4.0, that's an A, though by taking weighted courses it's possible to bump it up higher. At my school you could get on the honor roll with a 3.0 or higher, which is around an 85%. If you have lower than a 60% average (which is failing) your GPA is 0.

Though it's meaningless because homework is worth so much of the grade at high schools here. Doesn't matter if you get the homework right or wrong, so long as you do it you get all the points (there are some exceptions), so you can do tons of homework, do mediocre on tests, and still be on the honor roll.

Victor Von Doom
At most schools the GPA goes up to 4.0, that's an A, though by taking weighted courses it's possible to bump it up higher. At my school you could get on the honor roll with a 3.0 or higher, which is around an 85%. If you have lower than a 60% average (which is failing) your GPA is 0.

Oh, so 6 is actually high then. Better make it 6%.

Lana
Originally posted by Victor Von Doom
Oh, so 6 is actually high then. Better make it 6%.

Ouch laughing out loud

botankus

Well, I'm not up to date on the latest scoring criteria; I was just guessing what score someone would get if they drooled on their exam.

Lana
I'm not sure what the top score is anymore. I think it might have gone up to 2400 since they added the essay, I'm not sure, I took it almost 3 years ago.

And being as on the 1600 point scale average is around 900 (and I always find the averages to be scarily low).....a 700 is really bad. I do think that it does bottom out at some point and there's a score you'll get just for filling your name in, because I know it's like that with the ACT....but it'll just get you laughed at.

WindDancer
No offense to anyone. But I think the whole "Honor student" thing is overrated. And rather annoying when parents put stickers in the cars saying "My kid is an Honor student at George Washington school blah, blah, blah". I wish I had one of those stickers that said "My kid just beat up your pansy Honor child".

And what bothers me about it is that we honor certain students and neglect others students that could use recognition and the encouragement to continue studying hard. On the subject of cheating, I think that the only ones affected is the cheater themselves. I admit to have cheating in math clases and I now regret it. If I had learn more math I might be in a higher position right now. But I'm not! Is my fault and I shouldn't have cheated. It came back and bit me on the ass.

PVS
id like a sticker that says "my kid sells weed to your honor student"

botankus
laughing out loud Yeah

KidRock
Originally posted by PVS
hysterical

laughing out loud rolling on floor laughing laughing roll eyes (sarcastic)
Schools a lot easier now then you went back in the 50's old man.

Capt_Fantastic
Maybe it was my catholic education, but the honor students at my HS were total nerds, had no sense of humor and I often think they stilll haven't gotten laid. You know what honor students really end up doing, despite their level of academic acheivment? (at least the ones I went to school with) They end up working for a huge company at some mid-level managment position, because I can honestly tell you I didn't get where I was through 'book-learnin'. The upper managment of any big American company is all about personalities at the after-work cocktail lounge, and coming up with an underhaned deal that screws someone over. That's just not the type of smarts that a straight-laced, pocket-protecting kid is going to acheive.

-hh-
Originally posted by PVS
id like a sticker that says "my kid sells weed to your honor student" george carlin?

PVS
no, PVS

Tptmanno1
A bit of Clarification.
By Honor Student, I was not talking about an "honor roll" or whatever.
At my school, and at all the other schools in my City (there are 6) They have an advanced program. At my school it means to stay in it, You must keep a 3.0 (I believe...), take 2 AP (literally college level Classes) and recieve no D's.

Lana
Ahh...at my school being an honor student was the same as being on the honor roll. They had an advanced program at my old schools, before I moved, and I was in it since kindergarten.

Tptmanno1
I didn't know exactly how to put that. I'm talking about the higher level "tracked" magnet program thingy...

Lana
Yeah I get what you mean.

They didn't have anything like that at my high school. It sucked, I kinda wish they did.

-hh-
Originally posted by PVS
no, PVS alright stick out tongue

close enough laughing out loud

crazylozer
Yeah, in my high school, there are 4 levels of education: remedial, normal, honours, and challenge, and in that order is lowest to highest. Each one is seperated into different classes. Honours are basically the kids who have average intelligence but work hard (and probably cheat) so that they can get into university, and challenge are like those honours students Captn. was talking about. In honours, (i've been told) they rip through the curriculum in half the semester, then go over the stuff in massive detail over and over and over and .....anyways. Challenge is basically doing the grade up in all of your classes. And you have to take a test to get in. And they only let in 60 people. And everyone is a geek.

Funny thing is, everyone (and I mean everyone) says "Oh yeah, I could have gotten into challenge if i wanted to, but I was to lazy to apply". Then all the honours students all say "Oh, hey are you busy this weekend? I'm not, we're done for the year already."

Lana
They had something similar to that in the elementary and middle schools I went to, and I was in it. So when I was 11 years old and in 6th grade, I was doing stuff that most people learned as freshman in high school. It was hard, and only a few people were in it (I think about 15-20 in each grade, tops).

crazylozer
Joke:

Challenge kid 1:"Hey, what did you get on the math test? I thought it was hard."
Challenge kid 2:"I did okay..."
Challenge kid 3:"Come on, just say it"
Ck2:"148/150..."
Ck4:"WHAT!!!"

Ck's 1,3 and 4 burst out laughing

Ck1:"How could you fail so badly!!!HAHAHHAH"
Ck3:"Oh man, when you said you did okay, I thought you meant you only got perfect!!AHAHAHAH"

Sound familiar Lana?

Lana
Ooooooh yeah laughing out loud

Darth Revan

Great Vengeance
I kill honor students as a hobby.

Lana

Tptmanno1
slightly
My school is wierd
We have some REALLY rich kis, like driving BMW's to school, and then we have the kids who take the bus... Real mix.
Me, middle, not really rich, but still well enough off.

Lana
My school was like that, the town I live in is pretty much just regular middle class families while the next town (where my high school was) is very rich, for the most part.

Tptmanno1
We have some really poor kids too,
its wierd

River Wild
Well, its an honor to be here! Congrats to everyone!

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.