artists that are too good for their band/group?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Pointinel
this is in any genre.

Q-Tip = A tribe called quest
ghostface killah = wu tang
redman = def squad
l-boogie = fugees
john lennon = beatles
lil' MJ = jackson 5

-hh-
Originally posted by Pointinel
this is in any genre.

redman = def squad
l-boogie = fugees
john lennon = beatles
lil' MJ = jackson 5

i disagree with ATCQ, and Wu Tang.

Phife and Q-Tip balance the group out. thats what makes it great.

Ghostface is one of my favorites in Wu, but he's not the best. he doesn't always outshine the other members.

Pointinel
add-ons:

c-murder = tru
andre 3000 = outkast
ice cube = NWA

and

NaS = rap game

Alpha Centauri
Travis Barker is a really good drummer and always got held back in Blink 182. Though he just seems to play music because he can. He never strikes me as someone passionate about the art.

Alien Ant Farm's bassist Tye Zamora is also good so I hear, though the band are shit so I can't really confirm this.

John 5 of ex-Marilyn Manson was always a big fish in a small pond I think. If only technically.

-AC

Cinemaddiction
Travis Meeks, and as you can see, he thought the same thing when he fired everyone in Days of the New and went on his own.

-hh-
add-ons:

c-murder = tru
andre 3000 = outkast
ice cube = NWA

and

NaS = rap game

Nas= rap game? you mean everyone else? i disagree.

i agree with Dre 3000 and Cube.

Phat J
nas is good, but hes not that good.

Slay
Brann Dailor-Mastodon perhaps?

eggmayo
The band 'Clawfinger' get held back by their crap-ass singer.

Slay
Originally posted by eggmayo
The band 'Clawfinger' get held back by their crap-ass singer.

This thread was about artists who are too good for there band right? confused

eggmayo
Originally posted by Slay
This thread was about artists who are too good for there band right? confused
Yeah, the whole band is too good for it. Except for the singer.

Deathblow
l-boogie = fugees
andre 3000 = outkast
ice cube = NWA

I agree Tip's the strongest link in ATQ, but to say he's ''too good for the group''? Hell no. They were an amazing group. Same goes for Andre, I agree he's considerably more talented than Big Boi, but they shine together.

Personally, I think Lauryn Hill's the most talented member of Fugees, Deck, Meth and Masta Killa are just as good, and sometimes better than Ghostface, and none of them can match GZA. Cube, I definitely agree on. None of the others are even fit to guest on his skits.

Alpha Centauri
Originally posted by Slay
Brann Dailor-Mastodon perhaps?

Of course not.

The man is in there with two very good guitarists in both senses and a very effective bassist/vocalist.

-AC

Victor Von Doom
Ghostface isn't too good for Wu Tang. I don't even like the man.

It's actually an odd question because if an artist is that good, then their being good shouldn't be a hindrance. Mike Patton could exist in any band (that is half decent).

The only time it'd apply is when the group is very poor, in which case they are stupid.

Dr. Strangelove
Stoup of Jedi Mind Tricks

Chuck D of Public Enemy

I'd say Billy Corgan when Jimmy Chamberlin was out of the band. Don't know if that counts though.

Pointinel
Originally posted by -hh-
Nas= rap game? you mean everyone else? i disagree.

i agree with Dre 3000 and Cube.

^yeah

i was just playing...

cause nobody was answering this thread stick out tongue

Darth Revan
I was going to say John 5 and Travis Barker also... But AC beat me to it. sad

Victor Von Doom
Originally posted by Darth Revan
I was going to say John 5 and Travis Barker also... But AC beat me to it. sad

I was going to say those two too, but seeing as I passed him the info, I'm not averse to him attempting to pass it off as the product of his degenerated little spazmind.

Alpha Centauri
I didn't pass it off as anything, I just said it.

Quite funny, 'degenerated little spazmind'. Hahaha, 'spazmind'.

Oh, you're a card. The THINGS you say.

-AC

Inspectah Deck
Deck/Method/GZA - Wu-Tang Clan

jaden101
i'd say flea from the chilis especially of late...their earlier stuff he seemed more free to do his thing...now will all the ballad type shit they've been coming away with on their last 2 albums it seems that his style has been somewhat subdued...perhaps thats his desicion though

Alpha Centauri
The stand out from RHCP is John Frusciante if anyone.

-AC

Pointinel
Originally posted by Deathblow
Deck, Meth and Masta Killa are just as good, and sometimes better than Ghostface, and none of them can match GZA.

he has a habit of outshining rae in every track they made tho... you agree? i cant think of a song rae bettered gfk at the moment, ill bump sc and 0b4cl in my player right now.

plus....

imo, deck is middle tier in wu. hell, golden arms = deck.

Deathblow
Yeah true, I know there's a couple but I can't think of any off the top of my head. ''Iron Maiden'' is one probably, but that doesn't count cos Cappa kills them both on it.

U better than Deck?? Good god no. He has his moments sure, but Deck is the only member who's been a highlight of all four Wu group albums. Besides, his verses on ''Triumph'' and both ''Protect Ya Neck''s > anything U-God's come up with. Want a direct comparison, listen to ''Rumble'' off Golden Arms Redemption. U gets strung up by Deck on his own song.

Originally posted by Inspectah Deck
Deck/Method/GZA - Wu-Tang Clan

Masta Killa is easily the best of Wu along with GZA nowadays. And seeing as Wu would be nothing without RZA, you can't leave him out.

So basically, we've got Deck/Meth/GZA/RZA/Masta Killa - Wu-Tang Clan. Add that Ghostface & Raekwon have both made classic solo stuff, and I think it's safe to say that we can leave Wu as a even group.

VoodooChile89
I can't believe you guys think that Cube is the best member of N.W.A.!
He's my LEAST favourite member of N.W.A.... Eazy-E -OR- MC Ren would have beat his ass down lyrically three ways to sunday!

Deathblow
Yeah, and Vinnie Paz was better than Jus Allah.

Some things are just obvious.

blackwings667
billy martin in good charlotte. he always seemed more ahead of the rest of the stupid band... ville hermanni valo- HIM

blackwings667
travis barker too (from blink 182)

Alpha Centauri
Originally posted by blackwings667
billy martin in good charlotte. he always seemed more ahead of the rest of the stupid band... ville hermanni valo- HIM

It's not necessarily that these people are too good, just that the other members might possibly be more exceedingly shit than they are.

-AC

L0KI
Jack White is much better than Meg White...but I don't think that directly links to this topic.

How about Tony Iommi, in any line up of Black Sabbath come to think of it..(that I know of)

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.