Appeal on Bans

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Answers_Q
My one and only post unless Raz makes a decision,

Should banned people be allowed to appeal their bans if the reasongood enough for them to come back?

I sure hope that made sense.

Goodbye, get votin' wink

house
sounds like a good idea.

T.M
You have to follow the rules if you don't you get banned simple.

There is always some excuse that people make up for breaking the rules. All of them are probably rubbish. There is never a good reason to break the rules.

Simple thing is if you don't want to get banned don't break the rules.

Answers_Q
OK, so that wasn't my only post.
But I wish to debate this with T.M

-------------------------

TM, you dont believe in a second chance for anyone?
Also, if you were banned and wished to come back, would you then agree?

jaden101
i've only ever been banned from one forum and got no explanation as to why and no way of finding out

if people on kmc get banned it would be nice to know that they get an explanation...if not then i think it would be a good idea to have some limited function for them to contact a moderator to find out why they've been banned

perhaps limited to a single thread to be able to post in or perhaps pm's being limited to contacting moderators

Answers_Q
They get an explanation, but no chances or warnings.

Well some warnings, but to stupid people like me (like i used to be) it just encourages them to break the rules.

Some people sound a bit arrogant without knowing... which sorta sh*ts me.

-------

Anyway, so jaden, you would agree to my appeals bit?

Basically 1 forum is needed and only moderators would have to be contacted.

T.M
Originally posted by Answers_Q
OK, so that wasn't my only post.
But I wish to debate this with T.M

-------------------------

TM, you dont believe in a second chance for anyone?
Also, if you were banned and wished to come back, would you then agree?

If i was banned then i would know that i had done something ban worthy so i wouldn't be bothered.

Originally posted by jaden101
i've only ever been banned from one forum and got no explanation as to why and no way of finding out

if people on kmc get banned it would be nice to know that they get an explanation...if not then i think it would be a good idea to have some limited function for them to contact a moderator to find out why they've been banned

perhaps limited to a single thread to be able to post in or perhaps pm's being limited to contacting moderators

You do get an explanation on here check out Clovie's sig . That is the type of thing you get. says who banned you and the reason for the ban.

Answers_Q
TM, I am sure about you and all people that you would try to come back.
I know I have, wink.

But if you were banned, you would likely try to get unbanned.
It's easy to say now, but you see if you say that after a ban.

T.M
TM, I am sure about you and all people that you would try to come back.
I know I have, wink.

But if you were banned, you would likely try to get unbanned.
It's easy to say now, but you see if you say that after a ban.

well i am not stupid enough to do something that will get me banned.

and trust me i could live with out coming on here.

Answers_Q
Youve been here a year and a half, with your posts totalling at 8030.
I doubt you wouldn't come back.

----------

Now i'm not trying to gain favor with any mods by saying this, (but i hope i do wink.)

KMC Forums are basically the only good forums for movies.
Theres more intelligent people here which means better posting and convos.

Storm
You remain solely responsible for the content of your messages and for all activity on your account. Your use of this website is at all times subject to the forum guidelines and rules. If you violate any of those we reserve the right to remove all membership access. Think before you post or speak.

house
But hypertheticly if you mate or brother or whatever gets on here without your knowledge and fools around and gets you a perminent ban what are u supposed to do?

Fire
Well house then you'd prolly need very good proof to convince Raz and the mods that that is what happened else you're screwed.

And in every other case, there should be no right for anyone to appeal a ban. You agree to the rules when you first register, there is not an option "I don't agree to the rules and still want to join" So if you break the rules you get banned, learn to live with it.

jaden101
Originally posted by Storm
You remain solely responsible for the content of your messages and for all activity on your account. Your use of this website is at all times subject to the forum guidelines and rules. If you violate any of those we reserve the right to remove all membership access. Think before you post or speak.

aaaww go fungng d&*$%@ mmppfhhhg right?

stick out tongue stick out tongue

T.M

yes

Youve been here a year and a half, with your posts totalling at 8030.
I doubt you wouldn't come back.

----------

Now i'm not trying to gain favor with any mods by saying this, (but i hope i do wink.)

KMC Forums are basically the only good forums for movies.
Theres more intelligent people here which means better posting and convos.

If i got a perm ban i wouldn't come back. I wouldn't be as stupid as other who have been here got banned then made sock accounts because they last very little time here. If i got a temp ban sure after the ban is up i would post here again.

jaden101

aaaww go fungng d&*$%@ mmppfhhhg right?

stick out tongue stick out tongue

Answers_Q
I understand that storm.... now.

-----

Thats a good point house but they use the same reason as most other forums.

"You remain solely responsible for the content of your messages and for all activity on your account."

Meaning you are responsible for who uses it, who knows your password and so on.

But still a good point.
My brother installed a bloody keystroke thing a while back and got my emails.

T.M
Originally posted by house
But hypertheticly if you mate or brother or whatever gets on here without your knowledge and fools around and gets you a perminent ban what are u supposed to do?

the only way that would happen is if you leave your account active. Or they know your password.

you do either of those then IMO your asking for trouble.

Storm
Originally posted by house
Log out every time you leave KMC and change your password regularly. We can take it into account when it happens, but not when it happens more than once.

Answers_Q
Originally posted by T.M
the only way that would happen is if you leave your account active. Or they know your password.

you do either of those then IMO your asking for trouble.

For the second one TM, sometimes there is no choice if people know your password.

I know my brothers, he is too predictable.

T.M
For the second one TM, sometimes there is no choice if people know your password.

I know my brothers, he is too predictable.

what Storm said 'log out every time you leave KMC and change your password regularly'

Ushgarak
Yes, I am afraid it is no defence that others know your password- it is your own responsibility to ensure that is not so.

It would be highly impractical to have a post-ban contact mechanism; we would be flooded by all kinds of nonsense excuses.

Sorry, but regardless of the impact on individuals, a permanent ban is a permanent ban and that is the best option for the forums.

Answers_Q
But still ushgarak, if a person swears a bit or is underage for registration the ban would still be too harsh.

Why not temporary bans like a week for swearing, or until your old enough to register.

-----------

Also why not appoint a special moderator to filter out the nonsense from the particular forum and send the 'worthy' posts off to a mod who can judge them and maybe unban.

Ushgarak
You are highly unlikely to get a permanent ban for swearing.

You did know that most bans ARE temporary, yes?

Answers_Q
EDIT: Hmmmm.... not the place for this message.

Ushgarek, please check your PMs smile

Storm
But still ushgarak, if a person swears a bit or is underage for registration the ban would still be too harsh.

Why not temporary bans like a week for swearing, or until your old enough to register.

-----------

Also why not appoint a special moderator to filter out the nonsense from the particular forum and send the 'worthy' posts off to a mod who can judge them and maybe unban.
I temporarily banned members who are underage though it is rather pointless. By the time they' re allowed to register, they have forgotten about KMC.

Answers_Q
Well I wish i knew that before i posted, id look less of an idiot :P

Answers_Q
How about a different example of a ban that could be rethought.

Socks - socks are made usually with reason... for all i know wink

If I was told directly that making a clone or second account was not allowed I would have spoken to raz about a new name.

But all i was told was "dont make socks" by the other members. Which honestly made me think, 'ok but they do keep my feet warm'.

Storm
Did you read the Forum Guidelines & Rules?

Forum Guidelines & Rules
Multiple Registrations
Registration is strictly restricted to one per person (and one per computer). If we find any user who has created multiple accounts purposely, we reserve the right to remove all membership access without notice or explanation.
All name change request must be made to the Administrator, and is an unacceptable excuse for multiple registrations.

Answers_Q
Do you know that only a small percentage of people read that stuff.

I know now i should have.
But i have gone through it several times and have found people breaking these rules.

----------

Courtesy
Don't attack others. Personal attacks on others will not be tolerated. Challenge others' points of view and opinions, but do so respectfully and thoughtfully ... without insult and personal attack.

I noticed that alot of flaming goes on which in turn will provoke people into abusing those who flame them.

Offensive Posts
There may be places where explicit, obscene or vulgar language, graphics or behavior is appropriate however KMC Forums is not one of them.

Example of this one - A recently discussed topic in the off-topic forums "Wildest sexual fantasy" or "Cyber sex or Phone sex?"

Now call me crazy, but that doesn't sound PG-13 wink

I could do more, but I don't want to sound like more of an uptight ******* than some people might think now wink

T.M
Do you know that only a small percentage of people read that stuff.

I know now i should have.
But i have gone through it several times and have found people breaking these rules.

laziness is no excuse to break the rules.

Answers_Q
Try telling me that about a year ago...

----------

Seems stupid to quote myself, either that or arrogant.

I noticed that alot of flaming goes on which in turn will provoke people into abusing those who flame them.

The flaming that I got about "use the search button" is in fact what set me off for my "abusive behaviour"

----------

Personal Information
Think before you post or speak: Do you really want to put your address or telephone number on a public discussion forum? We encourage you to keep personal information personal.
In the same vein, do not ask for personal information from others. Discussion forum posts that request members to submit personal information to another party will be removed.

I noticed a few months back that some information was posted about "supershadow" such as his name, address, telephone number.

It sat there for a couple weeks but I don't know what happened to it after that.

WindDancer
Regarding the flaming issues. We (the mods) ask all member to please not bash or engage in offensive fights with their fellow members. When we observe that the discussion is detiorating (sp?). We ask the parties involved to drop it. However, when the member ignores our announcement and notes. We then proceed to issue warnings. It also depends on the level of the actions by the member. For example two members get into a nasty fight. We issue a warning and one member walks away but the other member continues and even posts offensive messages....that member is due for a ban. No question about it. Ask yourself this...is there a real reason as to insult people on the internet? Don't you feel that is very inmature? Can you talk like a reasonable and rational person? Think about it.

Shakyamunison
I seems reasonable for them to have one appeal, but once they have blown it twice, they are gone.

botankus
Try telling me that about a year ago...
Answer me this, Answers_Q...who were you before you registered today and became a sock?

Storm
Personal Information
Think before you post or speak: Do you really want to put your address or telephone number on a public discussion forum? We encourage you to keep personal information personal.
In the same vein, do not ask for personal information from others. Discussion forum posts that request members to submit personal information to another party will be removed.

I noticed a few months back that some information was posted about "supershadow" such as his name, address, telephone number.

It sat there for a couple weeks but I don't know what happened to it after that.
It is impossible for moderators to be on line 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. We can only deal with the problems we encounter ourselves and with the ones that get reported. There are always things that escape our notice.
If Supershadow didn' t report anything, then I assume no offence was taken.
Btw, Supershadow hasn' t posted anything since he/she registered in July 2003.

Raz
We generally issue a few PM warnings, before we start giving out temporary bans. And if a user still persists after 3 temp bans then the fourth ban tends to be permanent.

The only time we go straight to permanent bans, is in the case of socks, and thats only when we have good evidence to support this.

For instance, the thread starter is a sock of "green jedi", who was banned a while back. So in this case we issue a full ban.

Hope that clears things up smile

Clovie
blink ermm...

laughing sorry.

Syren
laughing Raz, that was seriously smooth.

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by WindDancer
Regarding the flaming issues. We (the mods) ask all member to please not bash or engage in offensive fights with their fellow members. When we observe that the discussion is detiorating (sp?). We ask the parties involved to drop it. However, when the member ignores our announcement and notes. We then proceed to issue warnings. It also depends on the level of the actions by the member. For example two members get into a nasty fight. We issue a warning and one member walks away but the other member continues and even posts offensive messages....that member is due for a ban. No question about it. Ask yourself this...is there a real reason as to insult people on the internet? Don't you feel that is very inmature? Can you talk like a reasonable and rational person? Think about it.

I've stopped going to the GDF because so many people are into bashing and attacking that I don't find it to be fun. People should talk about issues and not turn the forum into an insulting game. People who take the fun out of the forum should be banned, but should be given a chance to redeem themselves.

Sir Whirlysplat
Originally posted by Shakyamunison
I've stopped going to the GDF because so many people are into bashing and attacking that I don't find it to be fun. People should talk about issues and not turn the forum into an insulting game. People who take the fun out of the forum should be banned, but should be given a chance to redeem themselves.

Agreed there is a group there that do this.

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by Sir Whirlysplat
Agreed there is a group there that do this.

Should the mods come down on them? Should these people be banned if they keep this up?

Syren
They will be, try to have patience. The forum is huge...

Lana
Originally posted by Shakyamunison
Should the mods come down on them? Should these people be banned if they keep this up?

That is why there's the report function - report anyone who you think is breaking rules so it can be dealt with.

Syren
I love that function droolio

*reports Lana for being sexeh*

Are you going to berate yourself, Ms Moderator? eyes

Lana
Originally posted by Syren
I love that function droolio

*reports Lana for being sexeh*

Are you going to berate yourself, Ms Moderator? eyes

I may need some help flirt1

Mando
I'm a little late on posting for this topic, I've been in the Hospital for the past few days.

If a banned member is banned at all, then no appeal is needed. like I said about the "closed thread" appeal, Just trust the administrators judgement. No "Trial" or "appeal" is needed. As you can see the banned members of KMC get banned for a very good reason, and get warnings whenever they are walking the bad line. So despite the warning, if they still act up, then banning is unquestionable.

I don't mean to be Mr. Tightass, but it's true.

Solo
Very true, anyone who gets banned is a deusche (excluding LTA).

Syren
Originally posted by Mando
I'm a little late on posting for this topic, I've been in the Hospital for the past few days.

If a banned member is banned at all, then no appeal is needed. like I said about the "closed thread" appeal, Just trust the administrators judgement. No "Trial" or "appeal" is needed. As you can see the banned members of KMC get banned for a very good reason, and get warnings whenever they are walking the bad line. So despite the warning, if they still act up, then banning is unquestionable.

I don't mean to be Mr. Tightass, but it's true.

I agree wholeheartedly with this, as a theory... but unfortunately I have a very close friend who was banned from KMC and later allowed to come back, for reasons valid enough. So although I would like to be 100% behind you on this, there are sometimes exceptions.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.