Is It Respectful?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

KILLBILLFREAK
Is it respectful if someone from Iraq or somewhere around there to burn our flag. I know that sounds crazy but in USA if the ground touches the ground you are suppose to burn it in respect. So when people are on T.V and they think they trying to make us made ...... Are they really making us mad?

BackFire
The fate all flag burners should suffer.

KharmaDog
The point of burning a flag is to be disrespectful or protest.

Alpha Centauri
"I don't believe in burning the flag, it's my personal belief but I think people overreact...ooh, JUST A LITTLE BIT! 'Hey man, my daddy died for that flag!' 'Really? I bought mine. Sorry.' 'Hey man, my daddy died in the Korean war for that flag!' 'Coincidence! My flag was made in Korea!' People talk about freedom, fighting for freedom etc. Which is, of course, the freedom to burn the flag in the first place. It's a flag, it's a piece of cloth."

Bill Hicks, as usual, a more accurate and realistic opinion than most people.

Don't moan about freedom if you're gonna remove the freedom to do things like flag-burning which end up hurting a grand total of zero people.

-AC

BackFire
Ah, good ol' Bill Hicks. Such a great comedian, such a shame he's no longer around to spread his witty wisdom.

GCG
The country having a wide problem with this is always the same one.

-hh-
if you're gonna burn ANY flag, do it in private. <---- simple as that

Alpha Centauri
Why? Because someone might not like it? That's not the flag-burners problem. It's their freedom to do it. Those people complaining that it's disrespectful are disrespecting the flag too then. I personally wouldn't go burning a flag. Not because I feel it's disrespectful, but because me burning it means nothing. It's cloth, it doesn't mean anything to me. Though at the same time, someone who decides to, it's up to them.

If the people don't like it, they can just oppose the freedom they love so much. As long as flag-burners are not burning people, they're not hurting anyone. And no, your pride and feelings don't count.

It's just something people don't like. People don't deserve to go to jail for it.

-AC

GCG
Wasnt there a proposed amendment about flag burning and the desecration of the flag ; in the USA obviously. How did that go ?

Respectful or not is there a law against it ?

Alpha Centauri
There shouldn't be a law though, hence my above point.

If anyone believes there should be a law against burning the flag, they are immediately contradicting themselves.

-AC

BackFire
I don't believe there is a law against it in this country, CGC. I could be wrong, though.

Imperial_Samura
A flag is nothing, it's what it should represent that matters - and if burning a flag is a symbolic way of saying that people aren't happy, well that's their right. It's always struck me as absurd, boarding on the jingoistic the groups who consider the flag, a bit of cloth, some manner of sacred artifact.

But ultimately it is down to perception - one might be offended and view it as disrespectful, another sees it as a viable form of protest. It is funny though that nobody ever seems to complain when protesters burn effigies of people

Imagawa666
The strength of a nation lies not in their standard but in the hearts of its people. Although flag's are very patriotic do not worry about it hitting the ground or burning it. Its is us the people who embody our respective homelands strength.

debbiejo
It's a strong message for sure when someone burns another countries flag....I think it's meant to be taken with disrespect.

Alpha Centauri
It's not. As everyone has said.

-AC

Lana
Originally posted by GCG
Wasnt there a proposed amendment about flag burning and the desecration of the flag ; in the USA obviously. How did that go ?

Respectful or not is there a law against it ?

It got proposed, and nothing happened with it because it very blatantly violates the First Amendment, which guarantees freedom of expression. As burning a piece of fabric harms no one....there is no reason to outlaw it.

Ya Krunk'd Floo
I agree with Imperial Samura's line of thinking. However, I think most people are offended by the burning of effigies.

Like AC stated: freedom must be absolute, otherwise it is not freedom.

GCG
Originally posted by Lana
It got proposed, and nothing happened with it because it very blatantly violates the First Amendment, which guarantees freedom of expression. As burning a piece of fabric harms no one....there is no reason to outlaw it.

Thanks Lana.

Anyway, if it does happen, it will be difficult for the US to bomb another country again.

FeceMan
I really can't see the purpose of burning a flag other than to be disrespectful.

Sir Mist
If I saw someone outside burning my country's flag, I would probably laugh at them. Burning it in protest against the government or whatever reason they are doing it, well moron.....go live somewhere else.

MysteryRidah
Buring a flag is like burning a shirt, WHO THE HELL CARES. material is material, its not a big deal and america is not the greatest land, so i think people need to relax.

Wonderer
Obsession with your country's flag, patriotism, self-centeredness, etc....why do countries need to be so obsessively proud about themselves? Why can't everyone just be loving, kind, helpfull, non-violent, respectfull, etc.?

DenKi
who gives a flipping crap about some stupid Flag anyway, it was only created afew hundrad years ago.

FeceMan
Originally posted by MysteryRidah
Buring a flag is like burning a shirt, WHO THE HELL CARES. material is material, its not a big deal and america is not the greatest land, so i think people need to relax.
You're right. Burning a flag is a lot like flushing a Qu'ran down the toilet, even.

Alpha Centauri
The difference between a religious scripture and a piece of cloth is clear. And don't say "It's what the flag represents!" Yeah? What? Freedom? Such as the freedom to burn the flag as long as it doesn't hurt anyone.

-AC

Syren

hotsauce6548
Originally posted by Alpha Centauri
"I don't believe in burning the flag, it's my personal belief but I think people overreact...ooh, JUST A LITTLE BIT! 'Hey man, my daddy died for that flag!' 'Really? I bought mine. Sorry.' 'Hey man, my daddy died in the Korean war for that flag!' 'Coincidence! My flag was made in Korea!' People talk about freedom, fighting for freedom etc. Which is, of course, the freedom to burn the flag in the first place. It's a flag, it's a piece of cloth."

Bill Hicks, as usual, a more accurate and realistic opinion than most people.

Don't moan about freedom if you're gonna remove the freedom to do things like flag-burning which end up hurting a grand total of zero people.

-AC

I do believe that was well said.

Alpha Centauri
Originally posted by Syren
laughing Excellent... so simple and yet so profound roll eyes (sarcastic)

Or he could just walk away from the window and forget they're doing it. His life would remain the same.

-AC

Syren
Or he could just walk away from the window and forget they're doing it. His life would remain the same.

-AC

Who's to say he wouldn't walk away and forget they were doing it? Why not have a little laugh first? His life would still remain the same if he laughed... even though yours might not stick out tongue

Alpha Centauri
I was referring to the idea of him being of the belief that he thinks people shouldn't live there if they wanna do it. Which is blinkered smile.

-AC

BackFire
I'd completely ignore them. Giving them any form of attention is exactly why they're doing it. They want the attention - and burning the flag is the only way idiots can get their feeble point noticed by other people, it's a cop out done by stupid people for stupid reasons to get people to notice these stupid reasons.

Of course, if they went up in flames like the douche in the picture I posted earlier in the thread, then I'd laugh. Also wouldn't help him in any way. That wonderful freedom that the flag represents.

Zarathustra
Originally posted by FeceMan
You're right. Burning a flag is a lot like flushing a Qu'ran down the toilet, even.
You betcha. Muslims who are offended by it would say that it's wrong because the Qu'ran is the unadulterated word of God... but come now: the particular copy that's being flushed was not written down by the followers of the prophet as he had his revelations from God. It's been copied innumerable times for hundreds of years, and at the end of the day it's just printed Arabic words on pages. Granted that's a lot closer to the original source than, say, The King James Bible or any other English translation of the bible which probably has 2 or 3 translations in between the English and the original Hebrew and Greek, but to say it's unadulterated seems a tad unrealistic to me. Besides, it's the meaning of the words that matters: not the actual pages of the thing.

Now, neither action is meant to be particularly respectful, but it really ought not to be taken so seriously. You can come burn my flag any time: a Maple Leaf is a nice design and all but I'm not going to get worked up about it. You can't burn any of my books though: I paid good money for them.

debbiejo
As I tried to say earlier, but wasn't properly understood....Anyone that burns a flag is making a Strong statement, meant to be taken with us being taken with disrespect....though I think it's a degenerative type of thinking meant to stir up....it sure does.....but I do Have respect for my country.

Koala MeatPie

manny321
Now burning religious scriptures is completely disrespectful.
Like even though i am not Christian i got a bible in the mail once. I still keep in my drawer because i think its a real teribile thing if you throw it in the garbage.

FeceMan
Originally posted by Zarathustra
You betcha. Muslims who are offended by it would say that it's wrong because the Qu'ran is the unadulterated word of God... but come now: the particular copy that's being flushed was not written down by the followers of the prophet as he had his revelations from God. It's been copied innumerable times for hundreds of years, and at the end of the day it's just printed Arabic words on pages. Granted that's a lot closer to the original source than, say, The King James Bible or any other English translation of the bible which probably has 2 or 3 translations in between the English and the original Hebrew and Greek, but to say it's unadulterated seems a tad unrealistic to me. Besides, it's the meaning of the words that matters: not the actual pages of the thing.

Now, neither action is meant to be particularly respectful, but it really ought not to be taken so seriously. You can come burn my flag any time: a Maple Leaf is a nice design and all but I'm not going to get worked up about it. You can't burn any of my books though: I paid good money for them.
No...you see, you weren't supposed to take my side. You were supposed to get angry and yell at me. Bad, bad Zarathustra.

Zarathustra
No...you see, you weren't supposed to take my side. You were supposed to get angry and yell at me. Bad, bad Zarathustra.
Oh... sorry. INFIDEL! mad Jihad on you!

That better? confused

debbiejo
laughing out loud

It's been a good day for laughs on these threads...

Darth Jello
It's a national flag, not a national deity.

GCG
The three people who said that it is disrespectful to burn the flag in the poll, are yet to explain themselves.

FeceMan
Originally posted by Darth Jello
It's a national flag, not a national deity.
Yeah, what if we burned Jesus?

GCG
Religious Artefacts are sacred. Thefore by burning them, you desecrate them. The Church declares them sacred.

A governemnt cannot declare a flag sacred. Thats the differance.

Zarathustra
Yeah, what if we burned Jesus?
Well, if you physically got ahold of him I guess the whole Christianity thing is bunk anyway.

Anyway, I was one of the three who said burning a flag is disrespectful. It's sort of obvious. I can't see why you would burn a flag symbolizing a country for any other reason than to express disrespect for that country, or at least its government.
Being offended by it or outlawing it is another matter entirely, but is it respectful to burn it? Of course not.

BartmanX
HOW IS THAT SUPPPOSTED TO BE RESPECTFULL, I MEAN IT'S BURNING OUR NATIONS FLAG, I MEAN COME ON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! THINK A LITTTLLE!!!!!!!!!!

BartmanX
PLUS IT'S THE LAW NOT TO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BartmanX
HOW COULD YOU ASK A QUESTION LIKE THAT!!!!!!!!!!!111

newjak86
Why? Because someone might not like it? That's not the flag-burners problem. It's their freedom to do it. Those people complaining that it's disrespectful are disrespecting the flag too then. I personally wouldn't go burning a flag. Not because I feel it's disrespectful, but because me burning it means nothing. It's cloth, it doesn't mean anything to me. Though at the same time, someone who decides to, it's up to them.

If the people don't like it, they can just oppose the freedom they love so much. As long as flag-burners are not burning people, they're not hurting anyone. And no, your pride and feelings don't count.

It's just something people don't like. People don't deserve to go to jail for it.

-AC I will say this there is probably something in your life that someone else doesn't care about wether it is the first comic book you ever bought or the picture of your father. Those mean things to you special things and for some people that something special is the flag.
Not saying it should be outlawed or banned. What I'm saying is be mindful you want to protest something realize you could also very well be disrepsecting someone you have no attention of doing so. I have known friends who have lost their family members to in battles and the flag means something special to those people because it reminds them of their loved ones lives and what the fought and believed in.

Afro Cheese
People burn flags to get attention basically. Negative attention, positive attention, just people paying attention to their protest in general. So what's the best way to fight back against flag burners? Don't give a shit.

GCG
Originally posted by BartmanX

This is what people post when they dont read the thread properly.

Alpha Centauri
Originally posted by newjak86
I will say this there is probably something in your life that someone else doesn't care about wether it is the first comic book you ever bought or the picture of your father. Those mean things to you special things and for some people that something special is the flag.
Not saying it should be outlawed or banned. What I'm saying is be mindful you want to protest something realize you could also very well be disrepsecting someone you have no attention of doing so. I have known friends who have lost their family members to in battles and the flag means something special to those people because it reminds them of their loved ones lives and what the fought and believed in.

Yeah but that flag isn't solely theirs is it? It's not their possession. It's a piece of cloth representing a country that they had no choice other than to be born in. Resultantly they feel some dire need to pledge allegiance to a piece of cloth in the spirit of freedom, while simultaneously trying to deprive people of the freedom to do something that hurt no one. If me burning a piece of cloth that you CHOSE to hold dear, then tough shit. I'm not hurting anyone.

Your friends family members fought for freedom, so by saying flag burning is wrong, you are immediately contradicting what they fought for.

-AC

lil bitchiness
Originally posted by KharmaDog
The point of burning a flag is to be disrespectful or protest.

I agree.

Besides, was it respectful for USA to invade Iraq? hmmm...

Alpha Centauri
It's only disrespectful to those who hold a piece of cloth in such high regard. Which, to me, is a bit ridiculous. Especially to then claim they shouldn't be allowed to do it because it stands for freedom.

It's like the kind of people who have Great Britain flag bedcovers and such. If people hold a flag with so much "respect", anything is gonna seem disrespectful. It's only the sensitive people who have a problem with it enough to want it banned. People such as Afro Cheese and BackFire who have a problem with it, still recognise that they don't have to watch it happen.

-AC

botankus
Originally posted by BackFire
The fate all flag burners should suffer.

Great pic, BF!

cool_dudes_rule
Originally posted by KharmaDog
The point of burning a flag is to be disrespectful or protest. true.

FeceMan
HOW IS THAT SUPPPOSTED TO BE RESPECTFULL, I MEAN IT'S BURNING OUR NATIONS FLAG, I MEAN COME ON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! THINK A LITTTLLE!!!!!!!!!!
Stop.
Posting.
HOW COULD YOU ASK A QUESTION LIKE THAT!!!!!!!!!!!111
Here.

debbiejo
How creative.^^

justdecent
I get more mad when there is an American P.O.W. captured, than a man-made piece of cloth.

KILLBILLFREAK
does anybody believe in burning the flag in the USA when it hits the ground?

MMo
wel i kind of is and is kind of isnt

KILLBILLFREAK
MMo please explain more

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.