Frank Miller's Sin City (Recut & Extended Edition) (2005)

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Morpheus
DVD Release Date: December 13, 2005

DVD Features:
Available Audio Tracks: English (Dolby Digital 5.1), English (DTS 5.1)
Commentary by: Robert Rodriguez & Frank Miller (Unknown Format)
Commentary by: Robert Rodriguez & Quentin Tarantino (Unknown Format)
Commentary by: Austin premiere audience reaction (Unknown Format)
Recut and extended theatrical release - separated into four stories
Original theatrical release including:
All-new feature commentary with Robert Rodriguez & Frank Miller
All-new feature commentary with Robert Rodriguez & Quentin Tarantino
All-new feature commentary of Austin premiere audience reaction
Exclusive never-before-seen extras:
15-minute film school with Robert Rodriguez
The movie in high-speed green screen
The Long Take: 17 uninterrupted minutes of Tarantino's segment
Sin City Night at Antones -- filmmakers, cast and crew party
10-minute cooking school with Robert Rodriguez
Bloopers
Teaser & theatrical trailers
A Hard Top With a Decent Engine: The cars of Sin City
Making the Monsters: Special effects make-up
Trench Coats & Fishnets: The costumes of Sin City
Booze, Broads & Guns: The props of Sin City
How it Went Down: Convincing Frank Miller to make the film
Giving the Characters Life: Casting the film
Special guest director: Quentin Tarantino
Sin-Chroni-City interactive game
Complete Sin City Graphic Novel - The Hard Goodbye

Solo
I saw this, it looks excellent, loads of special features. I already own the previous release of the DVD. So I don't know if I'll be getting this.

I will probably cave in and buy this though, when the prices fall.

Impediment
Thats why I haven't bought it yet. I knew it'd happen, and look now. I can't wait to buy it.

Nevermind
That's great. I know Australia is getting a really shitty DVD release for Sin City hopefully this will come out here too, or I'll get that copy shipped over.

WindDancer
Great! Here I thought Rodriguez was going to release this next year, but surprise! surprise! he chooses the week before christmas to come out with this dvd edition of Sin City. Damn it! Sucks for me.

MildPossession
Pre-ordered it a few weeks ago, didn't buy the first release because of a better one coming out later. Hopefully it will get sent out a few days before hand because the place usually does with pre orders.

Mando
I might pick this up. I'm broke as is.

movie_freak
its a definately must buy!!

Deathblow
Excellent happy

I was so bummed when I found my SC DVD only had commentaries and a short, shallow ''behind the scenes'' featurette. Definitely getting this.

Koala MeatPie
I own the Previous Release (With Bruce Willis And Alba as the Cover) And I WILL be buying this on Tuesday. It will be the perfect thing for the last day of class (Also Tuesday)

tabby999
damn, wonder how long before this hits aus. our DVD was shite, bare bones, which is bloody WEAK! i wonder how the interactive game's gonna work

WindDancer
Damn it! I'm going back on my own word. I'm buying this DVD tomorrow. I quit buying DVD's for certain amount of time. But screw it! I'm buying this DVD and no one can't stop me!

I hereby declared myself as a DVD junkie. I can't fight the temptaion. sad

Wolfie
Good to have you back, WindDancer!

Nevermind
I should be getting this DVD for Christmas!

Impediment
I already have mine reserved and prepaid. I pick it up tomorrow!!

Cinemaddiction
$30 is WAY too much for this set. I imagine I'll nab it when it's on sale sometime.

MildPossession

Wolfie
Holy crap! $30?! I've never paid that much for just one movie. My original edition will have to do until it goes down in price or I come across some good deal.

Maybe later it'll come out cheaper without the comic.

tabby999
in Aus $30 is pretty standard, i've paid $50 for dvds, its not that unusual. once again showing the injustice, america gets better DVDs cheaper.

Koala MeatPie
I GOT IT I GOT IT I GOT IT!!!!!!!

GET THIS!

Zellers (Canada) ARE SELLING THEM HALF PRICE!!!!!!!!!!

TO ALL CANADIANS!!!! GET YOUR COPY AT ZELLERS BECAUSE THEYA RE HALF PRICE!!!

Marv's story is my favorit, He is my Favorit Sin City Character.

Anyways, I would have NEVER expected the Novel to be that thick, but I'm glad it is, It's a very easy read. Finished it in less then 2 hours on the bus ride home.

Nevermind
Originally posted by tabby999
in Aus $30 is pretty standard, i've paid $50 for dvds, its not that unusual. once again showing the injustice, america gets better DVDs cheaper.

Yeah the bastards don't know how lucky they got it. Although I almost never spend $30 because I normally find all the DVDs I wants for about $15 to $20. God bless JB HI-FI.

Koala MeatPie
SOMETHING COOL THAT WE LEARN FROM THE SPECIAL FEATURES!!!

Miko (Crazy Hot Asian Old Down Samurai Girl)

Uses Hattori hanzo Swords from Kill Bill, The Swords where borrowed *a-hem - stolen* From Tarrentino's Garage! eek!

Wolfie
Not necessarily stolen. Tarantino guest directed the film so I bet he contributed with the swords.

Koala MeatPie
No, Because He Only Found Out That they where taken from His Garage when the sceane was shot, he says it. Here I'll get you a screenshot of him with subtitles.

Okay So No Subtitles for the Propes Of Sin City Section. But that still is what he says. Not necessairly Stolen, but He did not know about it.

Solo
Does the film/deleted scenes/special features have subtitles?

Koala MeatPie
Yes, of Course stick out tongue

Havn't Watch the Extended yet, Wanted to lok at Disk 1's special features.

There is this cool commentary thing, where you navigate around Sin City to the various places chracters have been, its call "Sin-Cornonus-City" And yeah, you navigate to the key Places and tehre is MUCH further details about it.

Example, Lucile's Appartment (Marv's Dyke Lawyer) The Commentaires say that its not about the Appartment, They want That setting to be beautiful, yet threatning, and the entire visuals are about Lucile

PLUS I can take out my good old College text Book "The Art of Watching Film, 6th Edition" And find even more Tid- Bits! eek!

Wait A sec, Am i the First person NI the Forums To Get the DVDs? eek! SWEET!

WindDancer
Finally got my copy yesterday. I'm gonna watch it this weekend. happy

BackFire
Damn it, I bought the normal version and now I have to buy this one too, I hate when they do this.

Solo
Originally posted by BackFire
Damn it, I bought the normal version and now I have to buy this one too, I hate when they do this.
Seriously, that's ****ing gay.

Mando
I liked Bruce willis's character, And Jessica Alba's chracter personally. Their story is great too.

Cinemaddiction
It's because movies like that aren't intended for wide audiences, but in this case, it somewhat backfired. I loved the movie, but was initially offered a barebones version which would have satisfied casual movie goers who wanted to own it. BUT, now there's the $30 version, with a bunch of shit I DON'T want, which is a comic and some other trinkets.

I want a 2 disc version of the movie, director's cut, with no freebies. Just the film I saw, because I don't read comics, and having bought the first release, like so many other people, I think it should have been priced lower to entice buyers, especially at Christmas time.

It's just bad marketing all around, IMO, particularly trying to sell this bundle for $30, after having offered a gimmick of 6 different covers of an obsolete version of the movie. That's just gross capitalism.

Wolfie
Yeah, the price would be much lower if it wasn't for the book included. I really want it for the director's cuts and separated versions of the movie. The green screen stuff Koala MeatPie talked about sounded like a cool special feature.

Mando
Originally posted by Cinemaddiction
It's because movies like that aren't intended for wide audiences, but in this case, it somewhat backfired. I loved the movie, but was initially offered a barebones version which would have satisfied casual movie goers who wanted to own it. BUT, now there's the $30 version, with a bunch of shit I DON'T want, which is a comic and some other trinkets.

I want a 2 disc version of the movie, director's cut, with no freebies. Just the film I saw, because I don't read comics, and having bought the first release, like so many other people, I think it should have been priced lower to entice buyers, especially at Christmas time.

It's just bad marketing all around, IMO, particularly trying to sell this bundle for $30, after having offered a gimmick of 6 different covers of an obsolete version of the movie. That's just gross capitalism.

Hell, I want the book. Frank millers Graphic novel work is truly superb. If it's 30 bucks they want, I'll give it to them. PLus I get discounts from work. So I'll be the first to get one. God I love Uncut DVD's.

Wolfie
It's a great book, the only one I own. So you can imagine how annoyed I am that this set is only available with The Hard Goodbye, which means the price is about $10 higher.

If I didn't already own the book, buying this set wouldn't be too bad for me. The books run for about $12 on Amazon.com so you really pay about $18 for the DVD, which isn't bad for a SE.

Lana
Well, as I haven't gotten Sin City on DVD yet (shame, I know), I'll go for getting this version big grin can never go wrong with a comic!

Tptmanno1
same...
although I dunno how thrilled my parents would be with me getting that.

Lana
Hah....my mom won't care stick out tongue

Cinemaddiction
Originally posted by Mando
Hell, I want the book. Frank millers Graphic novel work is truly superb. If it's 30 bucks they want, I'll give it to them. PLus I get discounts from work. So I'll be the first to get one. God I love Uncut DVD's.

...and how many times will anyone want to look at an accompanying graphic novel when they have the movie right there? It's just poor marketing, not giving people a choice. They'd sell more by offering the novel as a store exclusive or incentive as opposed to making the set $30 and saying "take it or leave it".

I'll just buck that system and get it for $8 at a pawn shop in a few weeks, more than likely.

Lana
Personally? In most cases I'd rather read the book/graphic novel than watch the movie. People who are fans will want the book as well, if not just because they want to read it, but to collect.

Mando
...and how many times will anyone want to look at an accompanying graphic novel when they have the movie right there? It's just poor marketing, not giving people a choice. They'd sell more by offering the novel as a store exclusive or incentive as opposed to making the set $30 and saying "take it or leave it".

I'll just buck that system and get it for $8 at a pawn shop in a few weeks, more than likely.

You can read the book anywhere. You can't watch the DVD anywhere.

Nevermind
Originally posted by Mando
You can read the book anywhere. You can't watch the DVD anywhere.

Unless you have a portable DVD player. erm

Nevermind
It's because movies like that aren't intended for wide audiences, but in this case, it somewhat backfired.

Your totally right, but in most cases I saw people who totally didn't get it. Like one dude I know saw the trailer and said something along the lines of "I don't want to see that, looks like old sh*t" and my favourite quote "Looks like a scary movie" on the bases of it being black and white. Go wonder roll eyes (sarcastic)

Mando
Originally posted by Nevermind
Unless you have a portable DVD player. erm

laughing

Allow me to rephrase.

Books Don't run on batteries.

MildPossession

Wolfie
Well, why read Fight Club if you have the movie? Why read The Princess Bride when you have the movie? The Sin City graphic novels have fantastic artwork. The Hard Goodbye is a great read.

If you don't like comics, that's another story.

Koala MeatPie
I wanted that Book, Beacause I Wanted to know where the movie came from.

Often i would read the book BEFORE watching the movie, beacsue i want to know what it was based on, what they edited / made different.

Like Jurassic Park, that pissed me off after finishing the book. (Dispite the fact that JP was my favorit movie from when iw as 4 - 8)

For Example Lex is Younger Then Tim and Grant Loves Children.

tabby999
i wonder how long it'll be before this actually hits Aus, i looked yesterday, they only have the crap bare bones disk everywhere. dammit!

Nevermind
i wonder how long it'll be before this actually hits Aus, i looked yesterday, they only have the crap bare bones disk everywhere. dammit!

I definitely wouldn't be holding my breath.

Impediment
The new DVD of Sin City is great for fans of the comic, like me, and comic readers alike. The recut/extended versions offer all 4 stories to be watched separatley like Frank Miller envisioned, instead all 4 storied being intertwined together a la Pulp Fiction. The special features are good, but nothing special. The features they could have flushed down the crapper are Robert Rodriguez teaching us how to make "Sin City Tacos", and Bruce Willis on stage trying his hardest to sing the blues. Like HE, of all people, has anything to be blue about in the first place. I, personally, like that the DVD to comes with both the theatrical and the recut/extended versions, and that the special features are worth watching. Although I already own all of the original Dark Horse issues of Sin City, I think that the included TPB of "The Hard Goodbye" will give people a good look at Miller's vision, and a chance to read a damn fine comic. I still think that $30+ is a little too much, though.

Ken Kenobi
Bought it last night, I'll be watching it later.

Nevermind
Ordered it today thumb up

tabby999
where did you order it through?

Nevermind
where did you order it through?

I got mine through Amazon.

tabby999
pricy?

MildPossession

rox
Originally posted by Nevermind
Your totally right, but in most cases I saw people who totally didn't get it. Like one dude I know saw the trailer and said something along the lines of "I don't want to see that, looks like old sh*t" and my favourite quote "Looks like a scary movie" on the bases of it being black and white. Go wonder roll eyes (sarcastic)

oh yes. my mother said it looks like something scary. then i finally got her to watch it and she said"i know u don't have me watching this dick tracy looking movie.

my barber said she grew up on stuff like this and would not want to see this

Nevermind
pricy?

Well I got it for like $24.99 (USD) is that pricey for you? That's probably the most expensive DVD I'll own considering I get all my DVDs for basically under $20. I couldn't (nor would I) stand to have the next-to-nothing version and I think this was a worthy purchase.

Myth
I saw one for $60 f*cking bucks! It was packaged with Sin City cards and like 10 Sin City poker chips. Thats not even enough to play poker and they wanted that much more for it.

Nevermind
Originally posted by Myth
I saw one for $60 f*cking bucks! It was packaged with Sin City cards and like 10 Sin City poker chips. Thats not even enough to play poker and they wanted that much more for it.

What does gambling have to do with Sin City? huh

WrathfulDwarf
What a gorgeous DVD! I love how this extended edition. The comic book is a great bonus and worth smacking a few extra dollars for it. I also like what Rodriguez did to disc 2. All the stories can be watch in the order you like. This DVD is just a good as the Cannibal Holocaust 25th anniversary edition. Pure kick ass!

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.