Jar Jar Binks - not the only racist element in Star Wars?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Sir Whirlysplat

Imperial_Samura
Oooow, so much slang, it hurts like an ice cream headache...

I don't think I agree. Or maybe I do. I thought the Empire was actually racist, or something, I mean the rebels had plenty of non-human help. And Lando Calrissian was always black.

And to be honest Vader was always white underneath, it's just that Lucas has this whole symbolism thing going - you know Vader's evil because he's dressed in black, one of the oldest literature stereotypes. At least it was better then giving him a top hat and a moustache to twirl.

Victor Von Doom
Precisely. Black versus white represents the good/evil schism in symbology, but skin colour did not inform that decision, it is affected by it.

Black is traditionally associated with death.

Therefore, since Darth Vader is not a black male, there is no reason to assume that that is the psychological undertone being suggested.

However, it obviously is possible.

Alpha Centauri
People also tend to believe that because he had a seperate man do the voice for Vader. James Earl Jones, who I believe has a great voice, was chosen.

-AC

Victor Von Doom
That's because the Darth Vader actor was Welsh or something.

James Earl Jones has the imposing voice needed, and in being disembodied, it becomes colourless anyway.

Alpha Centauri
I'm Darth Vader.

-AC

leonheartmm
even though that guy is obviously on crack, still, it does bring up sumthin I believe is always there in shows n movies, the "prejudice" element. they always have to have sum1 stupid or idiotic, impared in one way or another who they can call loser n make fun of. look at simpsons, n that damn exchange student, they blame everythin on him, mock him, beat him up, kill him, n laugh at it. its the inbuilt tendency of humans to WANT TO HATE, call it passion, or whatever u want, its gotta be taken out sumwhere, thas why theres gotta charaters like jar jar or damn gnomes who people can ridicule.

Sir Whirlysplat
Originally posted by Victor Von Doom
That's because the Darth Vader actor was Welsh or something.

James Earl Jones has the imposing voice needed, and in being disembodied, it becomes colourless anyway.

Dave Prowse was born in bristol in 1942 Bristol is just about in England smile

PVS
Originally posted by Victor Von Doom
Black is traditionally associated with death.

not everywhere smart

Ushgarak
Moved.

overlord
Erm.. This quote is obviously a joke.
What a stupid thread..

Victor Von Doom
Originally posted by PVS
not everywhere smart

Luckily I didn't say that. wink

Whirly- thanks. Couldn't be bothered looking it up.

Eis

KharmaDog
Stupid quote, by the way, stormtroopers are dressed in white, does that make them good? Han Solo was dressed in black, does that make him bad? C3PO was dressed in gold, does that make him gay?

Captain REX
And don't get us started on Lando's cape... laughing out loud

No, whoever wrote that (coughWHIRLYcough) is quite foolish. I could see if maybe it was used as comedy in a movie, but to be taken seriously? No.

Victor Von Doom
Originally posted by KharmaDog
Stupid quote, by the way, stormtroopers are dressed in white, does that make them good? Han Solo was dressed in black, does that make him bad? C3PO was dressed in gold, does that make him gay?

Possibly the last one.

Lana
Originally posted by Alpha Centauri
I'm Darth Vader.

-AC

You wish stick out tongue

SS_181st_Snow

overlord
I can't believe people actually take it serious..

Nevermind
Originally posted by overlord
I can't believe people actually take it serious..

I Know. Jesus people, It's a joke. Why are so many people treating this seriously? Hasn't anybody seen Chasing Amy?

chinabing
Jar Jar is not racist . (No less that Sam Jackson has said so.)

Kevin Smith is an idiot. He thinks that wrapping a myth or truism around foul language makes him a genius.

Nevermind
Originally posted by chinabing
Jar Jar is not racist . (No less that Sam Jackson has said so.)

Kevin Smith is an idiot. He thinks that wrapping a myth or truism around foul language makes him a genius.

Kevin Smith IS a genius. The black conspiracy story isn't a truism or a myth, it's a made up conspiracy that Hooper X uses to sell more comics. You obviously haven't seen Chasing Amy. WOW! Foul language in a film, all that does is add more realism to the f*cking characters. Because if you haven't notice people swear in real life. Not to mention it also adds definition and sharpness to the dialogue.

Insomnia
Naturally, it makes sense that we're afraid of darkness because we aren't nocturnal, and it makes sense that we should be wary in places where our vision doesn't work. If we had an option of being trapped in a room where all we could see is white, or a room where all we could see is black. In the white room, there are objects and furniture, but it's all so white that none of it is visible, and you have to search around like you were blind. Same with the black room. I think most of us would choose the white room, even though there is technically no difference.

It's an evolutionary fear. It's what drove us to harness fire.

It's not racist to depict evil forces as "dark", and dress up evil characters in Black. Black people just happen to have a darker skin tone than white people. Yes, that can make them frightening to white people, but the reason isn't racially oriented.

stinger78
Luke had black boots, that
signifies that his existence is rooted in evil. Not to mention the jawas are short but that's ok because all midgets are shady little geedy punks. oh yea c 3po was a gay

mysterio69
well, the first time my friend saw 'empire' he said "holy shit! they put one black guy in this sh!t, and he turns on everyone." "never trust a black guy." we promptly told him he was a royal dumbass and forced him to watch 'jedi.' what a dork.

DiamondBullets
Jar-Jar aint the only racist thing in SW:

Jar-Jar--Black People

The Nemodians--Japanese

Watto--Jews

Sebulba--Chicanos

Ewoks--Native Americans

Ganner Rhysode
I only read the first post, but uh, I'm not sure who Hopper X is, but if he's a KMCer, he stole that from someone.

And the person who did that? He was totally kidding. Trying to be FUNNY. It was COMEDY. As in, NOT SERIOUS.

Oh, and maybe, above poster, you're reading too deeply into things? Is it possible that, oh, I don't know, but all those aliens are just aliens? What the Hell would make you think Watto was Jewish? Or any of that? They're just alien creatures, get the Hell over it.

Mišt
All I have to say is, thank god Whirly is banned.

Cybervader
Originally posted by DiamondBullets

Jar-Jar--Black People

The Nemodians--Japanese

Watto--Jews

Sebulba--Chicanos

Ewoks--Native Americans

wow..hmm i think that makes sense..to a political mind (oops i think i'm not supposed to use the P-word in this forum right,,)..or maybe juz to those who understands and appreciates what is going on around them..yeah that's better. For it kinda maybe coincidentally coincides wif the stereotyped traits of some particular race..like those listed above. Very literature i guess.. you might choose to see it tt way or not, entirely up to viewers of cos..

I'm curious..who are Chicanos?..and how does sebulba 'link' to them?

darthvader_fan
what a good thread

Mstr GEKA
People shouldn't associate the term black used for describe the skin of someone (does it look black to you... to me it doesn't it is just a term) and the color black, or the absence of light. The white represent light, as all colors put together give white.

My skin isn't white... neither is yours!

Mstr GEKA
People, check the movie Chasing Amy to give you an idea of the context.

Quiero Mota
Originally posted by Cybervader
wow..hmm i think that makes sense..to a political mind (oops i think i'm not supposed to use the P-word in this forum right,,)..or maybe juz to those who understands and appreciates what is going on around them..yeah that's better. For it kinda maybe coincidentally coincides wif the stereotyped traits of some particular race..like those listed above. Very literature i guess.. you might choose to see it tt way or not, entirely up to viewers of cos..

I'm curious..who are Chicanos?..and how does sebulba 'link' to them?

YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT CHICANOS ARE??? Ay Cabron!, What's wrong with you, homes? A Chicano/a is a Mexican-American. And Sebulba made fun of us, because of the whole mechanic/racer in the desert thing. Also, that deep raspy voice of his, and his overall demeanor, ese. That character completely dissed Latinos, ey.

VIVA LA RAZA!

SpyCspider
hahaha i also heard some people think the Tusken Raiders echo MIddle Eastern Muslim stereotypes....because theyr'e nomads in a desert who cover themselves up, who attack wayward people who wander into their territories (ie, Luke..with his shining bright eyes, blonde hair). Sorta like Hollywood stereotypes of Native Americans attacking white settlers as well.

overlord
This thread again? Isn't this like.. a stupid thread?

xyz jedi
Originally posted by DiamondBullets

Jar-Jar--Black People

The Nemodians--Japanese

Watto--Jews

Sebulba--Chicanos

Ewoks--Native Americans is it? I thought it was just fun aliens. What has that got t do with people? Saying there racist and thinking that JarJar is refering to black people or something is racist in it's own way. I don't see that though. I don't mind if people look different. Only if they're annoying.

Originally posted by overlord
This thread again? Isn't this like.. a stupid thread? like I like think like it like, like, like is like a like stupid like thread.

laughing out loud

Cybervader
Originally posted by Quiero Mota
YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT CHICANOS ARE??? Ay Cabron!, What's wrong with you, homes? A Chicano/a is a Mexican-American. And Sebulba made fun of us, because of the whole mechanic/racer in the desert thing. Also, that deep raspy voice of his, and his overall demeanor, ese. That character completely dissed Latinos, ey.

VIVA LA RAZA!

oh ok..thanks lots man ..now i noe wat chicano is..hmm. Ok.. Well im Asian by the way. big grin

exanda kane
Anything can end up being Racist, it merely depends on how you interpret it. If you get offended for Jar Jar, well your weird for not doing so because hes annoying, then your interpreting it completely wrong, and not in the way Lucas meant it.

Mišt
The Empire was British! The Alliance was American!! zOMG! RACIST!

no expression

Quiero Mota

exanda kane

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.