George Bombed Jazeera on Purpose?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

PVS
im sure mr. bush isnt bombing media stations simply because they
refuse to edit the objective truth of the camera, because seeing what
the war actually is puts the war in a bad light. of coarse he didnt
bomb them.

here in america, we can view the war in a good light in our own way.
we can view the video clips of staged interviews, a state sponsored
video game used for a few years as a recuitment tool http://www.americasarmy.com/
but really its not the u.s. population that matters. we're just too easy
to distract and lie to. its the public opinion in iraq that matters, is it?
ok anyway:
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Wed Nov 23, 4:57 PM ET

LONDON (Reuters) - Britain has warned media organizations they are breaking the law if they publish details of a leaked document said to show U.S. President George W. Bush wanted to bomb Arabic television station Al Jazeera.

The government's top lawyer warned editors in a note after the Daily Mirror newspaper reported on Tuesday that a secret British government memo said British Prime Minister
Tony Blair had talked Bush out of bombing the broadcaster in April last year.

Several British newspapers reported the attorney general's note on Wednesday and repeated the Mirror's allegations, which the White House said were "so outlandish" they did not merit a response. Blair's office declined to comment.

Al Jazeera, which has repeatedly denied U.S. accusations it sides with insurgents in Iraq, called on Britain and the United States to state quickly whether the report was accurate.

"If the report is correct then this would be both shocking and worrisome not only to Al Jazeera but to media organizations across the world," the Qatar-based station said in a statement.

The story would also be a shock for Qatar, a small Gulf state which cultivates good relations with Washington.

Reporters' rights groups called on the United States and Britain to promptly give clarification of the report.

"This is a very serious charge with grave implications for the safety of media professionals," said Ann Cooper, executive director of the Committee to Protect Journalists. "Refusing to address these reports in a substantive way only fuels suspicions."

Reporters Without Borders said: "We find it hard to believe that
President Bush really discussed this possibility. This would be extremely serious and would constitute a major and unprecedented violation of the right to information.

"If this report turns out to be true, it offers a new insight into the motives of the U.S. forces, which have already bombed Al Jazeera offices twice, in
Afghanistan and Iraq."

The Mirror said the memo came from Blair's Downing Street office and turned up in May last year at the local office of Tony Clarke, then a member of parliament for the town of Northampton. Clarke handed the document back to the government.

Leo O'Connor, who used to work for Clarke, and civil servant David Keogh were charged last Thursday under Britain's Official Secrets Act with making a "damaging disclosure of a document relating to international relations."

WHITE HOUSE SUMMIT

The Mirror said Bush told Blair at a White House summit on April 16 last year that he wanted to target Al Jazeera. The summit took place as U.S. forces in Iraq were launching a major assault on the insurgent stronghold of Fallujah.

The paper quoted an unnamed government official suggesting Bush's threat was a joke but added another unidentified source saying the U.S. president was serious.

White House spokesman Scott McClellan said: "We are not interested in dignifying something so outlandish and inconceivable with a response."

The attorney general told media that publishing the contents of a document which is known to have been unlawfully disclosed by a civil servant was a breach of the Official Secrets Act.

Kevin Maguire, the Mirror's associate editor, said government officials had given no indication of any legal problems with the story when contacted before publication.

"We were astonished, 24 hours later, to be threatened with the Official Secrets Act and to be requested to give various undertakings to avoid being injuncted," he told BBC radio.

Al Jazeera said that, if true, the story would raise serious doubts about the U.S. administration's version of previous incidents involving the station's journalists and offices.

In 2001, the station's Kabul office was hit by U.S. bombs and in 2003 Al Jazeera reporter Tareq Ayyoub was killed in a U.S. strike on its Baghdad office. The United States has denied deliberately targeting the station.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

but what i cant understand is why niether the administration or blair refuse to comment.

lil bitchiness
Well, looks like we live in bigger dicttorship than Arabs or Chinese do. messed

Perhaps George Bush should learn what is an apropriate 'joke' and what isn't.

jaden101
the report is the supposed leak of the alleged plan to bomb al jazeera in Qatar is it not

pretty scary when 2 world leader cant have a private discussion. especially when there is not quote for what was supposed to have been discussed

it could have been Bush saying something along the lines of "man i'd really like to blow the shit outta that al jahoohaa" in a light hearted way without any actual serious contemplation of actually doing it

i dont condone the bombing of journalists as a means of controlling influences on peoples opinions...pretty self defeating in my opinion

although i did like the question someone brought up on question time last night...

"if bush wanted to bomb the bbc...would tony blair try and stop him?"

classic

Sir Whirlysplat
Originally posted by lil bitchiness

If that was true you would be in trouble for posting this smile

GCG
I think this all comes from the beheading videos that Al-Jazeera used to air.

Al-Jazeera claimed that they origin of the tapes was not known. After they recieved a couple of more tapes of the beheadings, the US probably asked Al-Jazzeera to do some find outs and pursue their origin. (Western Journalists normally do that)

But Al-Jazeera kept insisting it was not possible. To Bush this looked like reluctancy to wage a war on terror. So it could have stemmed from there.

Trickster
It hadn't occured to me that it was an accident - but at the time of the bombings, I wasn't really keeping up with the news.

KidRock
lol Owned.

T.M
Apparently it is against the law to even meantion it so everyone who has said 'Bush wants to bomb Al-Jazeera' is breaking the law and will get arrested yes

ahh crap that means me to now doh

Imperial_Samura
Someone should bomb FOX, but that's just my view. Still, it is a worry that Bush might even half consider a military strike against a military outlet in a non-enemy country...

I mean gee, if your a middle eastern nation it seems nothing keep you safe, not even being on good terms with the Western powers. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Capt_Fantastic
I'm trying to figure out the confusing part in all of this..

Or, better yet....the part where the government comes in to play.

Excuse you?

Imagawa666
Whta wrong with bombing AL Jazeera? They deamonise the west. I say nuke the bastards.

KharmaDog
Originally posted by Imagawa666
Whta wrong with bombing AL Jazeera? They deamonise the west. I say nuke the bastards.

The question that we seriously have to ask ourselves is , was this quote made out of :

A/ Stupidity?

B/ Racism?

C/ mindlessly following your redneck parents attitudes?

D/ or an off kiltered attempt at humour?

Imagawa666
Im no redneck. Im english. And have a particular hatred of certain groups who support terrorists.

PVS
Im no redneck. Im english. And have a particular hatred of certain groups who support terrorists.

and al jazeera supports terrorists because............

and give me something documented, not just something
your dad told you.

Imagawa666
My dad didnt tell me. I make up my own minds about things. Poor misguided fools. you are palying into the handsa of terroists.
Al Jazeera= Terroists anti western lunatics. Why do i come to KMC anymore if its full of pacifists and conspriacy theriosts?

DarkCrawler
Originally posted by lil bitchiness

We know where you live.

Resistance is futile.

PVS
My dad didnt tell me. I make up my own minds about things. Poor misguided fools. you are palying into the handsa of terroists.
Al Jazeera= Terroists anti western lunatics. Why do i come to KMC anymore if its full of pacifists and conspriacy theriosts?

you still have not provided any news source which states or even hints at them supporting terrorism...just blowing hot air and making shit up/regurgitating whatever vague bullshit you were told by whoever.

please, we have more pointless rhetoric at kmc than you can fit through the grand canyon. perhaps before you type the inevitable "u support terr'ists" post, just take a moment, have some courtesy, and enlighten me with a valid source which states/hints at what you said.

jaden101
whats ironic is that the US have tried to track down osama bin laden several times by using the footage that was sent to and broadcast by al jazeera...

i've watched al jazeera and it actually a very good station...it seems to have a wrong reputation as some kind of seedy pro terrorist agenda...it doesn't...it merely broadcasts things that the western media dont, wont or cant for censorship reasons

FeceMan
There's that term 'redneck' again.

*Sighs.*

KharmaDog

And you weren't joking, so that must make you stupid or a racist. Unless of course you prove that Al Jazeera is Pro terrorist.

GCG
Its obviously not a good thing to bomb Al Jazeera, and if there was proof that it aids terrorists or hides them, there should be no problem with admitting the bombings.

Given that nor Bush or his administration has admitted doing so purposely and backing the attack up with proof, seems like there was no proper cause to explain it.

Therefore if Bush cannot justify it, how can Imagawa666 do so ?

PVS
because gcg, people just worship him unconditionally.
they could find out that bush raped their mothers and it will
be "well...uhhh....she was probably asking for it"

Darth Jello
here's another guy of limited mental capacity who invaded a weaker country (Abyssinia, now Ethiopia) to get his rocks off and enforced a militarized and oppressive society in which many of his enemies disappeared and large corporations profited like never before. of course it ended really bad for him...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benito_Mussolini#Fascist_dictatorship

Ushgarak
I see people are more or less assuming 'Guilty' here, which is a shame.

BackFire
Originally posted by Ushgarak

It's the American way!

botankus
Originally posted by Imperial_Samura
Someone should bomb FOX, but that's just my view.

And please include the other 440 stations on my satellite, minus a handful.

PVS
Originally posted by Ushgarak

even more sad that some of those who assume 'guilty' feel it was right and justified?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.