The Music Score's Impact

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

GCG
Watching a movie, be it any genre, also needs the musical element within it.

Ever wondered that some scenes may not be as tragic without music ?

Or as tense without the music ?

Wouldnt you agree that it plays an Important part in that particular scene ?

mattador
LOTR and Star Wars are prime examples of a moving musical score. Yes, I believe music is very important in a movie to convey the maximum amount of emotion yes

Mando
Yes it would, it means alot.

For instance, a suspenseful action moment with no music may leave a bigger impact. At least i think so. much like when you have a suspeseful song in yor head and you do something, it seems really awesome at the moment. but the third party perspecive really doesn't see the interest. But then again it really depends on the genre of the film. and for that matter the overall moral or the message of the film. If a comedy plays a musical score by Quincy jones, then it wont fit right.

ladygrim
Originally posted by GCG
Watching a movie, be it any genre, also needs the musical element within it.

Ever wondered that some scenes may not be as tragic without music ?

Or as tense without the music ?

Wouldnt you agree that it plays an Important part in that particular scene ?

i have this arguement with my sister All the time .... i say that if a movie has a good score it makes the movie like 10 times more intresting and effective ....and shes like a movies a movie ...she obviously doesnt watch them like i do

Mando
Originally posted by ladygrim
....and shes like a movies a movie....

That is an Awful statement...

A movie is more than just a movie... It's an ideal.

ladygrim
^ i know..... its shocking

Solo
I don't really care for a score in a film. Although, the score on Casablanca is the movie. Aslong as there isn't any gay shit ruining my scene, I'm fine with it.

Originally posted by Mando
A movie is more than just a movie... It's an ideal.
Completely agree with that, nothing I'd rather do than watch a movie. Well that's abit of an overstatement, but....

BackFire
Yes, music an play an important role in the power and tone of film. Most films rely on music to get a certain mood going during particular scenes.

However, music also creates a very cinematic tone in film. I've seen some films that don't use much music, and it makes their mood and atmosphere very strange. Often more realistic and dire (Audition, Irreversible).

gregmss
This is gonna sound stupid but i thought the music on wallace and gromit was amazing and it really set the scene for the film

Mando
Originally posted by gregmss
This is gonna sound stupid but i thought the music on wallace and gromit was amazing and it really set the scene for the film

Right. score is a puzzle. you just hafto fit the right music for the correct scene of the particular genre.

MildPossession
Score is a must, just watch the very end scene of The Sweet Hereafter, without that score by Mychael Danna(sp?), the scene would lose its whole atmosphere.

Barker
Originally posted by mattador
LOTR and Star Wars are prime examples of a moving musical score. Yes, I believe music is very important in a movie to convey the maximum amount of emotion yes
Word

edwinian
music plays a critical role, i think particularly in movies/shows aimed at a younger demo. one of the reasons i think/thought entourage is/was so good is because of the music selections...

Tptmanno1
The thing is music is almost a nessesity in a movie. The only thing you can hope to pull off without a score or worling background music, is an errie lack of music feel. "Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid" attempted to do a movie without any type of score, and all it managed to do was to transform a potentially exciting and thrilling chase scene into an excersice in tedium and repition. (Not saying that was the ONLY thing wrong with it, but it was a contributing factor)
An example of music gone right.
War of the Worlds without the terrific score would have been, in my book. A much worse film. The music added to the scenes where the acting or the action didn't do it all the way.
And it is also worth saying that the right music in a certian scene can set the mood, and show what exactly a character is feeling.

Mando
Does anyone remember the ending fight scene between Peter and Osbourne in Spiderman? It had no music in that fight scene and was very pwerful.

Tptmanno1
I don't remember that it had no music... Might have to check that out

Mando
Originally posted by Tptmanno1
I don't remember that it had no music... Might have to check that out

It was the one brief shining moment in 'spiderman' for me.

DeVi| D0do
Requiem for a Dream has an excellent score... it's so bleak and repetitive totally foreshadowing what is to come for the characters. The music was also used in a Lord of the Rings trailer, which I think totally worked as well because the sped it up. It played as an action piece but still had that sense of danger and doom. Shows how much versatility music can have...

Star Wars would be awful without the music. Really. The music is the ONLY emotion in those films (particularly the prequels).

jaden101
a scene that had power which relied almost entirely on the score is in road to perdition when sullivan guns down everyone standing around rooney...no sound effects...just a strange piano score...then one piece of dialogue "i'm glad its you"...brilliantly done

the only other films i think that really benefited from a truely execptional score were schindlers list...the main theme by itzhak perlman was beautiful and braveheart had a score which perfectly fitted the film

Mando
Originally posted by jaden101
a scene that had power which relied almost entirely on the score is in road to perdition when sullivan guns down everyone standing around rooney...no sound effects...just a strange piano score...then one piece of dialogue "i'm glad its you"...brilliantly done

the only other films i think that really benefited from a truely execptional score were schindlers list...the main theme by itzhak perlman was beautiful and braveheart had a score which perfectly fitted the film

Most definatley. thumb up

davecullen
It can play a crucial role -- some films much more than others.

It's especially important in a really quiet film like Sling Blade or Trust or Brokeback Mountain, where long interludes can pass without much dialogue, and much of the film is conveyed through pictures.

The score was just stunning and heartbreaking in Brokeback. But also soothing and joyful. And I noticed it was usually limited to the sequences where the two men were together during their two to three weeks out of the year, out in the gorgeous Wyoming back country, and blissfully together. It artfully conveyed the sweetness and quiet intimacy and joy of their life together.

That's a whole lot to convey. It was brilliant.

Tptmanno1
Originally posted by jaden101
I had forgotten about that movie and that scene. Brilliant.
That is definitly up there as how to do a stark scene with proper music.
Very nice example.

jockjanson
I think on some of the blockbusters the last few years they have used the score too much. I agree with using it sparingly, it makes much more of an impact that way!

Tptmanno1
It all depends on the message the movie or scene wants to send.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.