Brandon Routh or Christopher Reeve?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

lordofwar
Do you think that Brandon Routh will be better Superman than Christopher Reeve? I don't think he looks anything like Reeve, except for the hair. However, from what I see in the trailer it looks like can be a great Superman.

Piedmon
It's not really fair to judge until we've seen the movie.... also, you've got to bear in mind that Reeve was Superman for four movies, wheras Routh will only have had one even after the movie is over.

SnakeEyes
After I watch the movie next summer I'll get back to ya. roll eyes (sarcastic)

roughrider
Premature poll.

Dark_as_Knight
i agree... it's a little early to tell. Chris was good.... but we have yet to see what brandon can do.

((The_Anomaly))
I dont think Brandon will ever live up to chris. its one of those things...you know, no one can ever do it.

but so far i see no reason why routh wont do a good job of it

Mindship
Why is George Reeve not included? Given the time period of his TV show "The Adventures of Superman," and what he had to work with, he did a damn good job (the show was a success). He brought a maturity to Superman even Chris didn't have, had a more infectious smile and overall, IMO, was a better actor (not that either of them had spectacular careers). It's a shame he couldn't get work after "Superman." Part of the reason was Hollywood politics: Reeve was a womanizer which, many believe, ultimately led to his death (ie, not by suicide).

FistOfThe North
Yeh. For now and ever, it's Reeve. Unless Routh's no good.

Is it Reeve or Reeves?

roughrider
It's George Reeves.

With due respect to him, Reeves, like Adam West, should be out of the equation for considering their work. Different time, different level of respect for comic heroes.
Let's not forget Kirk Alyn. I think he did the serials.

Mindship
laughing out loud

Talk about not knowing which way to go.
I always figured the internet to be a fairly reliable source of information, if you know where to look...but apparently, even this stumps the net.

Depending on which website you go to, it's either George Reeve or Reeves (some have both!). The preponderance seems to be Reeve, however, plus I checked with an independent source.

It is Reeve, singlular, just like Chris' last name. In fact, when "Superman" came out in '78, there was some dispelled speculation that they were related because of having the same last name.

GODOFALL1
NOBODY WILL EVER BE AS GOOD AS REEVE...........PERIOD. EXCEPT MAYBE DEAN CAIN....LOL J/K

Darth Zannah
Originally posted by roughrider
It's George Reeves.

With due respect to him, Reeves, like Adam West, should be out of the equation for considering their work. Different time, different level of respect for comic heroes.
Let's not forget Kirk Alyn. I think he did the serials.

That's not fair.

You're saying "Well, George Reeves did it ages ago and lived in a different time frame, therefore he must be the best.

kanis
alucard I'm more of a christopher reeve fan because he is superman no matter that he died and branden routh is taking over I will always be a reeve superman fan, he had the attiude of superman right and made the fights he did realistic.

Mando
No matter how cool brandon gets, I will always appreciate Christopher reeve more.

redcaped
I believe ladies and gentlemen, Marlon Brandon gave Routh the light for this movie.

roughrider
Originally posted by Darth Zannah
That's not fair.

You're saying "Well, George Reeves did it ages ago and lived in a different time frame, therefore he must be the best.

How about, George Reeve(s) did the TV series. TV is, for the most part, a more shallow artistic field than Motion Pictures. So, like Adam West, the criteria for judging the qualty of his work should be confined to that area. Actors who do these roles in films, they are on a different level.

Bushwacker
Originally posted by redcaped
I believe ladies and gentlemen, Marlon Brandon gave Routh the light for this movie.

What does that mean?

kanis
alucard I haven't seen george reeve as superman yet so i can't really say if he is a bad superman or not.

Darth Venom
Well it has to be the Original for me (Christopher Reeve) but i think that Brandon Routh is the best man for the new superman I just hope his acting is good.

Darth Venom
"I don't think he looks anything like Reeve, except for the hair"

I think he look a we bit more like him than just the hair.

draconigena
I'd have to agree that it's more than just the hair... Routh (at least in my opinion) looks very much like Reeve.

Anyway, as to the actual topic. It's hard to say this early, but Christopeher Reeve has and always will be Superman to me. Even if Routh ends up doing a fantastic job.

Darth Venom
Here here, how true smile

random task
chirtopher reeve IS superman. it's hard to undo that after 4 movies. it's not like batman... 5 movies, 4 actors. when you mention batman to me now, i picture bale. after superman returns, if routh does a good job -- rephrase that... an exemplary job, i might see him as superman.

Mindship
Originally posted by Mindship
laughing out loud

Talk about not knowing which way to go.
I always figured the internet to be a fairly reliable source of information, if you know where to look...but apparently, even this stumps the net.

Depending on which website you go to, it's either George Reeve or Reeves (some have both!). The preponderance seems to be Reeve, however, plus I checked with an independent source.

It is Reeve, singlular, just like Chris' last name. In fact, when "Superman" came out in '78, there was some dispelled speculation that they were related because of having the same last name.

Well, blow me down...

I just watched an episode from the ol' TV show, "The Adventures of Superman." And, by george, it is George Reeves (plural).

Kudos to you, roughrider. BTW, I am having my "independent source" shot before midnight.

alexanderluthor
well... after seeing for the first time the trailer of "superman returns" mi idea of routh a bad attempt of superman just grew bigger, and he looks nothing like CR, he's got wider nose, bigger mouth, and his face looks nothing noble, plus his body should be stronger if he ever thought playing supes, CR didn't need those new costumes with extra latex(whatever they put inside), his body just look good naturally

Knightfall93
CHRISTIAN BALE!

((The_Anomaly))
......is Batman

lol

pr1983
Routh to me looks like a morbid attempt to cash in on reeve's legacy...

reeve was a nigh on perfect superman for the time...

Scarecrow756
Well I have to wait and see before deciding.

Knightfall93
CHRISTIAN BALE!

Altar[1stONE]
laughing

Knightfall93
batman

Knightfall93
CHRISTIAN BALE!

lordofwar
Christopher Reeve will always be Superman

redcaped
Superman

xmarksthespot
Reeve is Christopher, Reeves is George.

And Reeve is still Superman. An imitation is never better than the real thing.

redcaped
Routh is S not Reeve (2006)

pr1983
Originally posted by redcaped
Routh is S not Reeve (2006)

To you... erm

MattDay
c'mon guys move on, he's here, reeve died, change with the times

.Dance_Inside.
Brandon Routh.

SnakeEyes
Reeve was always severely overrated in my opinion. I saw the first Superman I while back and remember thinking: "Man, THIS is the guy that everyone loves so much as Superman?!" And I still think that to a certain degree. I probably like Routh better as Superman. He fits the role better.

pr1983
Originally posted by MattDay
c'mon guys move on, he's here, reeve died, change with the times

Just because Routh is still alive doesnt make him any better... erm

and maybe someone should tell singer to change with the times... he might make a more modern superman then... erm

snoochyboochies
Its a close one. both are fantastic. Routh looks more like superman does in the comics compared to Reeves if you look at him feature by feature. He could beef up a little more, especially around neck and the arms, just to make him look a bit more..............GRRR and ........ butch.
As far as acting's concerned, Routh was just as good as Reeves and every bit as believable as a man of steel.

phreak_v2.o
i liked how Routh played clark kent better coz he wasn't as dorky and Routh is just HOT!!! love

snoochyboochies
Well..I.........erm......suppose I agree. From a hetero male's point of view of course.

.Dance_Inside.
Originally posted by phreak_v2.o
i liked how Routh played clark kent better coz he wasn't as dorky and Routh is just HOT!!! love

Clark Kent is suppose to be dorky tho...so?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.