Piercings in the Workplace

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Ladyluck
Should peircings be allowed in the workplace? Why or why not?

I think they should be. Piercings do not affect the quality of a work a person does and while it may offend older people, society is starting to get used to them. They are more accepted and not as outrageous as they were when people first started to pierce random body parts. The older generation who is more offended by piercings are being replaced by a new, more accepting generation. As society changes, I think the rule about piercings in the workplace should change too.

Ladyluck
Oh come on disgust

whobdamandog
Personally, piercings don't really bother me. I used to have my ear pierced. However, People gotta realize that when they go to work, they are not at home..and no one has to accomadate to all of their personal demands/preferences. There still needs to be standards and guidelines in the workplace. Particularly places that have health and safety codes that need to be followed.

Mišt
Its not about fashion or whatever, its about hygiene and safety. If you have earrings or something, you can get them caught on an object and risk injury to yourself. You could lose a piercing and have it drop into a customer product as well.

Forgot to mention in the workplace (depending on job of course) your supposed to look presentable and approachable. If you have a face full of piercings, its not that presentable to customers.

whobdamandog

Ladyluck

Mišt
Originally posted by Ladyluck
You mentioned earrings, which are allowed in pretty much any workplace. I was referring more to other piercings, such as nose or eyebrow. Most people don't have a face full of piercings. Maybe one or two. stick out tongue

Good point happy

Yeah I know, but just as an example....its a bit harder to get an eyebrow piercing caught on something unless you walk into it face first stick out tongue

Cant I exaggerate anymore? weep

Ladyluck

Imaginary
I think that nose piercings should be allowed, because they're part of culture for some people and also if you take them out for a day at work they close up damn quickly.

lil bitchiness
People connect piercing with deviance, and thus many do not allow it. Much like you are not allowed to have jewlery when cooking, same would apply to piercings.

But for jobs which do not require physical work or do not handle food directly, I dont see the reason why one should not be able to have them.

Why is it ok to have earings, but not a ring in your lip? It makes very little sense.

Ikaru
Originally posted by lil bitchiness
People connect piercing with deviance, and thus many do not allow it. Much like you are not allowed to have jewlery when cooking, same would apply to piercings.

But for jobs which do not require physical work or do not handle food directly, I dont see the reason why one should not be able to have them.

Why is it ok to have earings, but not a ring in your lip? It makes very little sense.

roll eyes (sarcastic)

NyC-gUrL
I can imagine something like a law-firm being opposed to their employees having parts of their faces pierced, cause they're supposed to be representatives of the company and therefore look 'presentable'. Nose and eyebrow piercings may not give the company the image they want, so I can see why they would have a problem with it.

It's not my own opinion though, seeing as I have 2 tattoos and a piercing (not in my face, but still), but I understand their point of view.

Sir Whirlysplat
No one knows I wear my "Prince Albert" at work if it was good enough for Queen Victoria wink

Ladyluck
Originally posted by lil bitchiness

Agreed yes

Originally posted by Sir Whirlysplat
No one knows I wear my "Prince Albert" at work if it was good enough for Queen Victoria wink

laughing out loud That's nice.

tabby999
i've got my nose pierced, they let me leave it in a work (i'm a kitchenhand). even if i do take it out, it dosn't close over before i finish my shift. i think that the boss should have the right to say they dont want people to have their piercings in at work.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.