Where are rainbows?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Biscuit
Its impossible to touch a rainbow so does it really exsist? If so, where? In the sky? In the rain droplets? In the mind?

T.M
Rainbows are just the sun that is shining through raindrops. rainbows are caused by dispersion of sunlight as it is refracted by (approximately spherical) raindrops. which is what we see as a rainbow.

debbiejo
NO...I tried... laughing out loud

Shakyamunison
The rainbow is in your eyes. wink

KharmaDog
There's a river by my house that currently has some decent rainbows in it.

debbiejo
Originally posted by Shakyamunison
The rainbow is in your eyes. wink That explains my disorder then.....Or LSD.

When I lived in Denver we always always had double rainbows....you never could very close to them though...they'd disappear.

jaden101
Originally posted by Biscuit
Its impossible to touch a rainbow so does it really exsist? If so, where? In the sky? In the rain droplets? In the mind?

are you seriously asking a question cause i can give you the proper answer if you'd like

although it involves a bit of the physics of light

Sir Whirlysplat
Originally posted by jaden101
are you seriously asking a question cause i can give you the proper answer if you'd like

although it involves a bit of the physics of light

Indeed Newton must be doing this Wtf no sad

jaden101
Originally posted by Sir Whirlysplat
Indeed Newton must be doing this Wtf no sad

i wonder what he would've said if someone told him "its all in your mind isaac"

Fëanor
Its impossible to touch a rainbow so does it really exsist? If so, where? In the sky? In the rain droplets? In the mind? just over the glen by the purple mountains and the blue waterfall infested by faeries and sprites...and if you're lucky, there might me a pot o' gold or frosted lucky charms.

Sir Whirlysplat
i wonder what he would've said if someone told him "its all in your mind isaac"

I suspect considering he was well known for his rages, it might well be unprintable smile perhaps he might say "Tosser"

laughing out loud

smile

Mindship
A rainbow exists not just in the eyes, but in the heart, mind and soul of the beholder ("Fairy tales can come true" / "They can happen to you" / If you're young at heart..."wink

debbiejo
I was starting to like that until you started into the "Fairy tales can come true".. laughing out loud

Atlantis001
The rainbow is the result of refraction of the sunlight that passes through the raindrops or sometimes just the vapor of water in the air.
Different colors are refracted differently so colors are seen in different positions in the rainbow, the red is the less refracted, and violet is the most refracted.

The rainbow cannot be located in a position of the space, it will change depending on the perspective you see it, so if you change your position the rainbow could change its position too, or even vanish, it is not like a solid object which its image is always in the same place independently on the perspective.

Biscuit
so a rainbow ent actually anything then, just an illusion. it doesnt actually exist anywhere in the world. physics cant explain where they are. Its like a reflection...not actually anywhere...

Victor Von Doom
so a rainbow ent actually anything then, just an illusion. it doesnt actually exist anywhere in the world. physics cant explain where they are. Its like a reflection...not actually anywhere...

It does exist in the place you can see it, as an effect of the light.

Atlantis001

Koala MeatPie
(...) it involves a bit of the physics of light

Commonly Called "optics"

Capt_Fantastic
Wow...we here at KMC, TRUELY, have nothing to talk about.

Victor Von Doom
Originally posted by Capt_Fantastic
Wow...we here at KMC, TRUELY, have nothing to talk about.

Painfully evident lately.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.