Why is Harvey Dent black in Batman?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

lordofwar
Though I like Billy Dee Williams why did they make Harvey Dent black but white in Batman Forever?

Silverstein
they must have modernized the character...you know, new millenium, just like Ultimate Nick Fury is african american.

NoFate007
Because Burton made a mistake.

tpaquin
Because Billy Dee Williams is the biggest pimp in the mother****ing galaxy.

Piedmon
Because Batman III had a n00b director who did bass ackwards shit like that....

And yes, I'm aware Dent isn't black in the comics... big deal, neither was Kingpin and Micheal Clark Duncan was still amongst the best men for the role in Hollywood (albeit he suffered under a terrible director like the rest of the Daredevil cast.)

Silverstein
yeah burton schumacher such n00bs, but Nolan pwned big time.

In the animated series Harvey Dent/ Two-face was almost like the color of The Rock. I think he would be african american in BB2, one artist wanted Denzel Washinton to play harvey.

WindDancer
Originally posted by Piedmon

And yes, I'm aware Dent isn't black in the comics... big deal, neither was Kingpin and Micheal Clark Duncan was still amongst the best men for the role in Hollywood (albeit he suffered under a terrible director like the rest of the Daredevil cast.)

Daredevil was an atrocious film. WTF? Bullseye totally suck! And Kingpin was another waste of a character. And I do like Duncan but not in this movie.

Setting aside any racial or ethnice mumble jumble. Making a black Harvey Dent is just pointless. And besides, he didn't do anything in the film. The only good thing he did was read Batman's letter in the end and introduce the bat-signal. That was it! Waste of time, I tell ya.

Mainstream
technically Harvey on the Batman TAS was only half black and bluish.

roughrider
Harvey Dent is a racially neutral character, not defined in personality as a black or white person. At the time, other people said "well, if they can do that, then Arnold Schwarzenegger should play Luke Cage - same thing." No - Luke Cage's character is defined as being a black man. Look carefully at lots of characters and ask yourself - does their race define their charcter and history? If Captain America was black, that could be hard to swallow. But, if Tony Stark was asian, would that be much of a stretch?

NoFate007
I just think they should keep characters the way they were portrayed before. I'm not a racist or anything, however, I do think this whole politically correct thing is getting out of hand. For instance, take Bond films now. Now EVERY Bond film has to have a woman that's nearly 007's equal? Come on. Some changes I can deal with...like Nick Fury. That I think was an ok change. However if someone mentions how they want to make Catwoman black, or Scorpion a hispanic, or Gambit an asian or something...no. Kingpin turning into a black guy was a bit weird, and I'd have preferred if it had stayed the other way, but it wasn't that bad. But there's no way I think Iron Man as an asian would be good, or Lex Luthor as a black guy. It just doesn't fit.

Two-Face....well...let's put it this way. A black guy could play Harvey Dent well, but I think it would be more effective if he was white, because it seems as though there's an even bigger gap between Bruce and Harvey if they are of different ethnicities to start off with, and then become on opposite sides of the war. I think that if you have that one half of Harvey that doesn't resemble Bruce in some way, that makes the character more interesting.

Harvey Dent
If they made Lucious Fox white, I would be pissed. He is black and I want him to be black in the movie.

So I say keep the race of characters true to the comics, and Harvey Dent should stay white.

roughrider
For Daredevil, when they cast Michael Clarke Duncan, I went 'Hmmm..." but then I realized he is one of the best castings in a physical sense for the Kingpin ( as a kid, I thought of wrestler King Kong Bundy.) It's often a critcism that Hollywood is reluctant to cast black actors as villans, so them going with Duncan was a dare I applauded. Kingpin could be black; he came from being a street gang leader years ealier.
And back in the early 90's, I heard Morgan Freeman went hard after the role of Hannibal Lecter. Great actor, but audiences may not have suspended belief; seeing a black man get the preferential treatment in prison and a cult-like following.
So, I think it's a film-by-film basis, not just blanket that everyone must be the exact race they are in the comics.
Me, I wasn't that happy Rosario Dawson played Gail in Sin City, no matter how pale they made her look.

Mr Parker
Well everybody loved williams as Lando from Empire strikes back so i think Burton probably thought people would not mind him as Harvery Dent.I did not mind him as Harvey Dent but they should have had him be black in forever as well.

Bardock42
Originally posted by Mr Parker
Well everybody loved williams as Lando from Empire strikes back so i think Burton probably thought people would not mind him as Harvery Dent.I did not mind him as Harvey Dent but they should have had him be black in forever as well.

How should anyone mind him in that movie anyways? I mean didn't he just have a one liner and was gone?

Knightfall93
AAAAAAAAHHHHHH... I remain loyal to the comics. burton's a gay @ss wa**er whose nevwer read a f**king comic in his god damnlife... that's why he cast a black dude! And I'd say Two Face is white, END OF STORY. I'm glad Billy Dee wasn't in Forever, it's the one good thing Joel did! LOL. I have nothing against Africans or asians or Indians or Europeans or South americans or whatever but they should stick to charcter's comic looks! Next some brainless arse hole's gonna suggest that samuel L Jackson should be Bruce (though he's be bad ass Nick Fury!) or that Selina Kyle should be played by Billy Dee... idiots

justmeself
I alwayz wonder bout that two-face thing... but hey, end of the day it dont matter....

on king-pin, I take it no-one is taking into account his ethnic background...? hes jamaican... or at least, part jamaican, so a black guy for it is fine.. and duncan was prob the best thing about the daredevil movie in fairness.

chomperx9
why is kingpin black in daredevil ?

SamZED
Originally posted by WhoopeeDee
Daredevil was an atrocious film. WTF? Bullseye totally suck! And Kingpin was another waste of a character. And I do like Duncan but not in this movie.

Setting aside any racial or ethnice mumble jumble. Making a black Harvey Dent is just pointless. And besides, he didn't do anything in the film. The only good thing he did was read Batman's letter in the end and introduce the bat-signal. That was it! Waste of time, I tell ya.
Bullseye was the only good thing about that movie.no expression

Wei Phoenix
Originally posted by chomperx9
why is kingpin black in daredevil ?

Because no muscular white man could fit that role.

BruceSkywalker
Originally posted by SamZED
Bullseye was the only good thing about that movie.no expression

not really

Originally posted by Wei Phoenix
Because no muscular white man could fit that role.

agreed

Kazenji
John Goodman would've been good.

SamZED
Originally posted by BruceSkywalker
not really

What then? Ben Affleck?
Farrel did a great job, i wouldnt mind seeing him portray the character again if he ever appears in say Deadpool movie.

chomperx9
Originally posted by Wei Phoenix
Because no muscular white man could fit that role. they could have found a wwe guy to fit the role

BruceSkywalker
Originally posted by SamZED
What then? Ben Affleck?
Farrel did a great job, i wouldnt mind seeing him portray the character again if he ever appears in say Deadpool movie.

Daredevil was pure shiite, from beginning to end, not even jennifer garner saved it and i like her..

Originally posted by chomperx9
they could have found a wwe guy to fit the role

a wrestler could have worked, but since none can act, at the time DD was being written, it was written with Michael Clark Duncan in mind

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.