Why didn't Luke use his Lightsaber to deflect Palpy's Lightning?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

xyz jedi
I mean Mace did.

overlord
Didn't he throw the lightsaber away? Anyway.. How the hell was he supposed to know he could defend that way?

xyz jedi
I don't know but he could of used the force and use it?

No, wait, that would spoil the Vader thing.

DiamondBullets
um......maybe cuz he wasn't holding it....

jenzie
he was still a nOOb jedi?
the really decent ones KEEP HOLD OF THEIR DAMN WEAPONS don't they?

sheesh

steverules
Why did he throw his lightsabre away anyway?
I don't think he could have called his lightsabre to him, but I think he could have called his fathers lightsabre to him cause I think that on one of the barrels, when luke goes over to his father I swear that u could see vaders decapitated hand on one of those barrel thing's so that could mean that his fathers lightsabre was near.

overlord
The main answer to this topic is: He couldn't have known what would happen or what to do.

jollyjim311
"I will not fight you." - Ring any bells?

Alkaselzer
Jolly and Overlord are right. Not only had Luke decided not to fight any more, for fear of falling to the Dark Side and for wanting to defeat Palpatine's mission to turn him, but how was Luke supposed to know that Sidious could cook his goose with his bare hands? It is not as if Yoda warned him to look out for the lightning. Even if he had, he wouldn't know how to defend himself, and seeing as he does not have Master Windu's strength, he would probably be thrown back anyways.

In the novel, he tries to divert it with the Force but fails, I must note.

Ballister
Ok, if you were a Jedi, and a Sith just suddenly shot Sith lightning at you, would you have the reflexes to Force pull a lightsaber, catch it, and turn it on before the arc of lightning hit you? Mace could do it because he was holding it, Luke didn't even pay attention to where either of the sabers were dropped. So a better question is:
Could you think of blocking lightning with your saber, decide that you could, remember where the saber was dropped, turn over, Force pull it, catch it, ignite it, and block lightning before it hit you?

Ushgarak
Even if he had the Lightsabre, what might he have done unprepared? Didn't help Anakin, did it?

amity75
The 2 Jedi who deflected it both had their lightsabers drawn and ignited. And lets face it, i'm not a jedi but I reckon i could stand with a lightsaber in front of me and just let it soak up any lightning that any troublemaking sith who thought he was a bit of a hardman threw at me. It doesn't look too hard.

overlord
OMG!! Lucas! If you are watching! Please change ROTJ in Vader deflecting lightning and slaying Palpatine that way!! MUNDO COOL!!!!!

Damn.. Now xyz will probably create a thread of why Vader didn't deflect the lightning with Lukes lightsaber..

xyz jedi
no I was just bored.

overlord
Tsk, tsk, tsk.. nono

xyz jedi
Originally posted by overlord
Tsk, tsk, tsk.. nono ermm k

overlord
Originally posted by xyz jedi
ermm k Let's troll! eek!

xyz jedi
k

overlord
cool..

Ballister
no I was just bored.

You really have no life, do you.

xyz jedi
Atleast I have a girl Phalluster Ballistard. And my Avator isn't sonic.

Ballister
Dude, chill out. I was joking. What the hell's your problem? And Avator isn't a word.... and why'd you capitalize that anyways?

xyz jedi
I like to make jokes. It's who I am. stick out tongue stupid

see. I'm actually a nice guy.

Ballister
Alright then.

overlord
I like to make jokes. It's who I am. stick out tongue stupid

see. I'm actually a nice guy. Well, you're not a nice guy.

jollyjim311
To change the topic a little, do Jedi have to use the force to channel the Lightning to their lightsabers and the sabers absorb it. Because otherwise the sith would just be aiming their lightning at their saber.

overlord
I don't think so.

xyz jedi
maybe the LS uses heat n energy to absorb the lightning and deflect it.

xyz jedi
Originally posted by overlord
Well, you're not a nice guy. only if you can't take jokes, which I'm sure u can overlord. stick out tongue

Ganner Rhysode
xyz, it would help a bit if your jokes were actually funny.

Now, moving on, you'll notice Force Lightning isn't just a narrow stream of lightning, it arcs out. Obviously if someone held a lightsaber up, it wouldn't all just go straight into that, like, say, blocking a blaster bolt, because it spreads further than the lightsaber. So, I would say that it does look like they have to use the force to channel the lightning into their saber. Notice how blocking Palpatine's lightning was slowly draining Mace?

Also, it's quite possible that Yoda didn't teach Luke the Force Absorb technique, or that Luke wasn't powerful enough to use it anyway.

xyz jedi
I don't get LS. What are they made of, how can they not pass through eachother?

Captain REX
Xyz, stfu.

Anyways, Obi-Wan and Mace seemed to have no trouble just holding their lightsabers out in front of them and blocking.

I think it was a matter of Mace being drained because of the amount of strength he is putting into his block, so that he doesn't go flying backwards. That's how I saw it.

Ballister
Lol, telling the owner of the threaf to STFU and then answer this question? You guys rock!

Captain REX
I'm quite good at it. Xyz deserves it. yes

xyz jedi
right, okay then, screw this thread.

willman
luke didnt use vaders lightsabre because it had fallen down into the abyss and he didnt use his because if he had then he would have become angry and would have been one step closer to becoming the emporers agent of evil. we could say why didnt obi-wan show up in ghost form to 'scare' the emporer away but we wont will we.

xyz jedi
then screw this topic.

Shadow x 20
Originally posted by steverules
Why did he throw his lightsabre away anyway?
I don't think he could have called his lightsabre to him, but I think he could have called his fathers lightsabre to him cause I think that on one of the barrels, when luke goes over to his father I swear that u could see vaders decapitated hand on one of those barrel thing's so that could mean that his fathers lightsabre was near.

Luke throws the lightsaber away to prove to Palp that he will not turn to the darkside and that he is a Jedi.

OB1-adobe
A. He threw it away down the shaft

B. Didn't know about sith lightning

C. probably did not have the technology back then to pull off a shot like that anyway

Red Superfly
He threw his saber down in the exact same way he jumped to his death in Empire Strikes Back, he had to defy the emperor.

He did say he wanted to turn Vader back, and was trying hard. He still hung on to his hope that Anakin would return, even when he was dying, and his faith was rewarded.

It's a plot point to show that love and faith are ultimately more powerful than physicality and violence.

It's made even more clear in Episode III. Windu had no faith in Anakin, and his lack of compassion led to his downfall, as Anakin turns on him. Luke instead decides to rely on Anakin, which brings out the good in him.

The fight with the darkside could not be decided with a lightsaber. A lightsaber could not redeem his father, only trust and love could do that.

If he wasn't coming back with his father, he wasn't coming back at all.

That's the impression I got.

Captain REX
then screw this topic.

Hey, shut up, no one cares what you say. big grin

Wow, that's deep, Superfly. I concur.

exanda kane
It's obviosuly because GL hadnt had the idea that a Lightsaber could absorb it yet... But I'm sure GL has a quality answer lined up these days.

jollyjim311
Originally posted by Red Superfly
He threw his saber down in the exact same way he jumped to his death in Empire Strikes Back, he had to defy the emperor.

He did say he wanted to turn Vader back, and was trying hard. He still hung on to his hope that Anakin would return, even when he was dying, and his faith was rewarded.

It's a plot point to show that love and faith are ultimately more powerful than physicality and violence.

It's made even more clear in Episode III. Windu had no faith in Anakin, and his lack of compassion led to his downfall, as Anakin turns on him. Luke instead decides to rely on Anakin, which brings out the good in him.

The fight with the darkside could not be decided with a lightsaber. A lightsaber could not redeem his father, only trust and love could do that.

If he wasn't coming back with his father, he wasn't coming back at all.

That's the impression I got.

And a good one 'tis.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.