Is this the future you had envision during your childhood?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

WindDancer
What do you think of our world today? Is it just like you dream it on your mind when you were a kid? Are you disappointed? Meh, things will always be the same. Technology will always have something new to present to us. Politics will always be politics. Disasters will always happen (our world is one huge rock with hot stuff in the core). War will never go away. People will still die. Crime won't go away. People will dispute between faith and scientific research.

I'm hitting my 30 years of existence next year. And what I see today is not what I read in comic books, sci-fi movies, and novels. And yes I'm aware all that is fictional, but I couldn't help it to think that the future (our current present) was going to be a better place.

Darth Macabre
Well it most certainly isnt the future they showed in Back to the Future 2.

botankus
Originally posted by WindDancer
I'm hitting my 30 years of existence next year. And what I see today is not what I read in comic books, sci-fi movies, and novels. And yes I'm aware all that is fictional, but I couldn't help it to think that the future (our current present) was going to be a better place.

I just hit it this year. The only thing I wish was different was that they had all of the technology that they have today when I was 20.

debbiejo
The way I was raised.....Gee, Jesus should of came by now.... confused

He must of went somewhere else first, and stayed........

Sir Whirlysplat
At least we still have a moon Space 1999 had that blast away!!!!!

StrangeDays
I think heaps has changed since I was a kid. I turned 35 this year and technology and how the world is continues to blow my mind. I have a 13 year old son and he looks at me incredulously when I say we didn't have the internet when I was younger ... even just 10 years younger!

Travelling to all parts of the globe is becoming more and more accessible. The information highway is the biggest triumph of modern times. ANYTHING you want to know about you can learn about. This is an age of increased awareness, an age where our collective consciousness is expanding at ever increasing rates.

Humans have a tendency to think change is slow. But it's not.

Just look at the difference in computer technology, mobile phones, gaming etc in just two years the changes are huge. Physics is also undergoing massive changes and revisions ... superstring theory for example, anti gravity etc. Money and time is being invested in these things at amounts that boggle the mind. Amazing discoveries are being made as I type.

The media focuses on all the bullshit. On all the bad things happening, on how we haven't changed .... breed fear and uselessness and we will spend money to make ourselves feel better.

Promote exciting new fields of knowledge and the urge to spend money on useless knickknacks is not so urgent.

This doesnt suit those that are in control of the media.
This is why the internet is such a valuable resource.
Peace will come, the focus of those in power will change. It is happening.

Sir Whirlysplat
Originally posted by StrangeDays
I think heaps has changed since I was a kid. I turned 35 this year and technology and how the world is continues to blow my mind. I have a 13 year old son and he looks at me incredulously when I say we didn't have the internet when I was younger ... even just 10 years younger!

Travelling to all parts of the globe is becoming more and more accessible. The information highway is the biggest triumph of modern times. ANYTHING you want to know about you can learn about. This is an age of increased awareness, an age where our collective consciousness is expanding at ever increasing rates.

Humans have a tendency to think change is slow. But it's not.

Just look at the difference in computer technology, mobile phones, gaming etc in just two years the changes are huge. Physics is also undergoing massive changes and revisions ... superstring theory for example, anti gravity etc. Money and time is being invested in these things at amounts that boggle the mind. Amazing discoveries are being made as I type.

The media focuses on all the bullshit. On all the bad things happening, on how we haven't changed .... breed fear and uselessness and we will spend money to make ourselves feel better.

Promote exciting new fields of knowledge and the urge to spend money on useless knickknacks is not so urgent.

This doesnt suit those that are in control of the media.
This is why the internet is such a valuable resource.
Peace will come, the focus of those in power will change. It is happening.

Youngster smile

StrangeDays
enthusiastic Jumpy

Sir Whirlysplat
Originally posted by StrangeDays
enthusiastic Jumpy

I'm only a bit older not forty for a few years yet smile

Jedi Priestess
^ ^ ^ ^
youngster stick out tongue

Oh hell no. I think as a kid I envisioned alot of things that simply are no more. Many things have changed for the better, while many things have changed for the worse. But thats life. I'll be 45 in April and I cant begin to imagine what the worl will be like in another 40 years, assuming I live that long. I DO however feel sorry for my youngest daughter (she's 12) in many ways. I wish she had grown up in my times instead of todays world.

Sir Whirlysplat
Originally posted by Jedi Priestess
^ ^ ^ ^
youngster stick out tongue

Oh hell no. I think as a kid I envisioned alot of things that simply are no more. Many things have changed for the better, while many things have changed for the worse. But thats life. I'll be 45 in April and I cant begin to imagine what the worl will be like in another 40 years, assuming I live that long. I DO however feel sorry for my youngest daughter (she's 12) in many ways. I wish she had grown up in my times instead of todays world.

Agreed smile

Ushgarak
Homer Simpson has my favourite attide to this sort of thing, when Marge asked him if this is how he had envisaged things turning out:

"Yup, pretty much. Except we drove around in a van solving mysteries."

Sir Whirlysplat
Originally posted by Ushgarak
Homer Simpson has my favourite attide to this sort of thing, when Marge asked him if this is how he had envisaged things turning out:

laughing out loud

Jana
hehe, you see it'S like this:

There will always be 'the good old times' where everything was better.
And the hopeful thought when you try to figure your future out, where everything will be better.

>In the past the future was always better too.< wink

So no matter what happens, the present time will always suck. Try to make the best out of it. happy

Victor Von Doom
Originally posted by Ushgarak

Funnily enough I thought of that exact quote as soon as I saw the thread.

Another apposite quote is in From Hell by Alan Moore, when Dr. William Gull, during a premonition from the late 19th century of the late 20th, says 'Where comes this dullness in your eyes? How has your century numbed you so? Shall man be given marvels only when he is beyond all wonder?'

justdecent
I think when I was younger, I thought I would be married by the time I turned 16 (a.k.a. The Little Mermaid) so me being single now.. it changes the plan a bit.

Black Rob
Originally posted by WindDancer
What do you think of our world today? Is it just like you dream it on your mind when you were a kid? Are you disappointed? Meh, things will always be the same. Technology will always have something new to present to us. Politics will always be politics. Disasters will always happen (our world is one huge rock with hot stuff in the core). War will never go away. People will still die. Crime won't go away. People will dispute between faith and scientific research.

I'm hitting my 30 years of existence next year. And what I see today is not what I read in comic books, sci-fi movies, and novels. And yes I'm aware all that is fictional, but I couldn't help it to think that the future (our current present) was going to be a better place. Even i'm disappointed and i'm only 17. Still broke. Still dumb. Ass still fat. Life sucks....

Darth Jello
naw, i expected flying cars, a good environment and economy, a more stable world, and more chicks.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.