Who should play Namor in the movie?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

roughrider
The Sub-Mariner movie looks about two years away, at least. So, what about casting? He has to be buff, look good shirtless, be athletic etc.

I nominate Jason Statham from The Transporter. He's buff, with martial arts training, and his physique matches a powerful swimmer, which fits because he was on the Olympic swim team when he was younger. Does action well, but will need some more hair.

Dark Crawler...?

jrodslam
I say The Rock.

Hes not as buff as he used to be, but Namor is a muscular character. I mean not when he first appeared, but sinse the 70's Namor has had the muscular build and i think it fits him better than the sleeker, type.

Mark Whalberg(sp?) is also a good choice i would think, but he may be too short. Same with Matt Damon.

Those are my 3 choices. I think the Rock would fit perfectly though.

Lucid Lui
If that guy from the Transporter plays him i will boycot the movie. I can't stand that guy in anything (other than guy ritchies movies).

I'm still undecided who i want to play Namor. I don't think the Rock's quite right. Mark Wahlberg is much more an Aquaman IMO ( stick out tongue ) Matt Damon is another actor who annoys me. Plus he's too small to play Namor IMO.

Adam Warlock
Rock even has the Sub Mariner's thin eyebrows. Hr would be a perfect fit for Namor. Wasn't the Rock originally up for the role of Sub Mariner?

Draco69
The Rock?! Are all mad? Do you want the movie to flop like every other movie he's been in? We want a GOOD actor not just one that fulfills the physique. Namor's buff but he doesn't look a friggin steroid junkie.

Adam Warlock
I don't know. He fits the part perfectly. Yeah, I know all of his other movies flopped, but I think he would portray Namor the best. Kinda the same facial features, muscular physique, used to wearing tights, and can be loud and boastful at times which all fit Namor's profile.

Arahan
Scorpion Kink was funny, Welcome to the Jungle too.

But he as Namor? NEVER

jrodslam
The Rundown was good.

Vin Deisel can also play a good Namor i think

roughrider
The Rock has been mentioned for Captain Marvel; don't remember hearing about him for Namor. ( Shazam? Better as Black Adam.)

If he's willing to bulk & buff up some more, maybe Jude Law. He has a facial resemblence.

Draco69
Captain Marvel?! Oh god. He needs to be shot. I will only allow him to play someone obnoxious like Juggernaut. Jesus, people we want GOOD actors.

Why was Batman Begins so good? Because we had a GOOD actor. Not a former WWE stuntsman.

Jude Law may be good choice with major bulking. I would prefer a no name actor to play Namor. No name actors playing superheroes have a tendency to do very well.

Lucid Lui
*shudders at the mention of Vin Deisel*

DrDoom101
wheres DarkCrawler? he would know...

roughrider
Originally posted by Lucid Lui
*shudders at the mention of Vin Deisel*

I second that.

DarkCrawler
How about John Leguizamo?

http://members.tripod.com/spanish_desperado/john5.jpg

It could also be Japanese/American actor, because Namor has always resembled an mix between an Japanese and an American.

roughrider
OMG, I hope they don't think of Keanu Reeves.

roughrider
I got it!
Just like Halle Berry, Christian Bale should double-dip in both DC and Marvel. One year, play Batman. The other year...Namor. Don't tell me he can't do this part! thumb up

(Just don't approach Catwoman's level of crap)

NoFate007
Oh my freaking god...why does every idiot in America want The Rock and Vin Diesel to play anyone who is built?!?

Jesus Christ you people. Even Jason Statham would be better than making The Rock ruin another film.

who?-kid
Originally posted by NoFate007
Oh my freaking god...why does every idiot in America want The Rock and Vin Diesel to play anyone who is built?!?

Jesus Christ you people. Even Jason Statham would be better than making The Rock ruin another film.
Actually the Rock wouldn't be a bad choice. With a little bit make up and a new hair style, he is Namor.

And I even don't like the Rock. But I think Namor would be a great role for him.

And it's not like you have to be a Shakespearian actor to play Namor (with all due respect for the submariner).

NoFate007
No but The Rock keeps getting this...dare I say...fanboy invincibility.

These people like The Rock as a wrestler, he does one movie, they think he's on par with a Pacino or a Nicholson or hell even a Jim Carrey. He's not a good actor. He's not the worst, but he's not good enough to be considered good. He plays big guys that have a lot of action and no substance - if you want to have a superhero that has absolutely no connection with the audience, just "Namor is a good guy audience, by the way. Now let's see him fight some guy we just told you is bad.", go ahead. I don't like the Namor character but I still wouldn't want something as old as that to be disgraced with a Rock role.

Vin Diesel, yeah he's an actor, and he's good enough to pass for different roles, but just because the guy is built doesn't mean he's right for the role. This goes for people that think he should be a Terminator (and some people think The Rock should be too)...

Its just sad. I don't want to sound conceited, and I don't want to come off as a jerk or anything, but there are too many people out there (including some in the business) that know nothing about filmmaking, and think that all action, all visual is the entire thing.

If we gave power to these people, guess how many films would be out with wrestlers in films where a motorcycle blows up a building for no reason while there's a gang war going on and heavy metal music is playing? Too many, as if we don't have enough as it is.

roughrider
This is a bit of a race, because I've heard rumours of an Aquaman movie with Owen Wilson(!) in the past year. Which deep sea monarch gets to the big screen first, will mean the other likely won't.
Come on Marvel, let's get moving! You have a director, right?

Lucid Lui
Owen Wilson as Aquaman? I'm a huge Wilson fan, but Aquaman? That sounds like it'd be a comedy. And something like that could do more damage than even Superfriends...

*shudders*

roughrider
Maybe Owen wants to stretch those dramatic muscles for a change...if he has any. stick out tongue

Oh wait - he did Behind Enemy Lines. Piece of crap.

NoFate007
I'd much rather see Owen Wilson as Aquaman than The Rock as Namor. Hell I'd rather see Aquaman period than Namor at all. He's just more interesting I think.

roughrider
I'd much rather see Owen Wilson as Aquaman than The Rock as Namor. Hell I'd rather see Aquaman period than Namor at all. He's just more interesting I think.

Hell No. Arthur is a cheap copy of Namor. Give me the original avenging son!

Bushwacker
Owen Wilson as Aquaman? That's just scary. If that happens the next thing we'll see is Ben Stiller as Namor.
sleep

DarkCrawler

Namor is wayyyyy better then Aquaman. mad

I still think they should do an WWII Invaders movie, with Namor, Captain America and Human Torch in it. sad

redcaped
Romulan!

WindDancer
I would also say The Rock. He has the physical body of namor. Acting skills...well, is just another Marvel Comics superhero flick. So it really doesn't matter. Just a bunch of explosions and people running around. That basically is the plot of every marvel comic hero movie. Is all good....

DarkCrawler
The Rock doesn't really have a swimmer physique.

And lot of the film would be underwater...

roughrider
I like the look of Ultimate Namor, with the long ponytail. They should use that.

DarkCrawler
Originally posted by roughrider
I like the look of Ultimate Namor, with the long ponytail. They should use that.

Ultimate Namor doesn't have ponytail if I am right...just some troll-esque, wild haircut.

http://img530.imageshack.us/img530/6717/ultnamor39kb.gif

roughrider
That scan you posted somewhere, from Ultimate Fantastic Four, when he's helping Sue save Ben underwater - looks like a ponytail flowing out the back.

srankmissingnin
The Rock isn't a bad actor (surprisingly) he is just a big guy so he gets type cast in horrible action movies. I wouldn't cast him as Namor but he might be able to pull it off.

NoFate007
I still say no Namor. I don't like the idea of the gay looking heroes with their little briefs on. You can't tell me that looks masculine and threatening or anything. I'd much rather see Aquaman, but not Aquaman with the shirt constantly off and whatnot.

roughrider
If this was 50 years ago, there's no question who I would cast: Yul Brynner.

Adam Warlock
Yul Bryner would have been perfect.

ScarletSpider
I'd like to see a movie with the Torch and Namor set in the 40s or so. A monster movie, just with smaller, human sized monsters.

The 1910s...a naval vessel is stuck on a reef, and to their rescue comes a mermaid...more or less. An Atlantean princess, she falls in love with one of the sailors, McKenzie, and becomes pregnant, after a time, still with child, she flees back to her home, and the Sub-Mariner is born!

1939: the brilliant Phineas T. Horton, makes his triumphant return to the world of science at the New York World Fair with his new invention--the artificial man! More than an android, he's better than some visual facimile, his organs are synthetic materials that copy the functions of human organs, science far beyond its time, and misunderstood, and when the artificial man steps forth, he bursts into flames, the fair turns into a riot as those in attendance try to escape. Phineas, now ostracized from the scientific community, and the world as a whole, takes his pyrokinetic machine man and leaves.

1940: an American merchant vessel is wrecked by a German U-Boat (great chance for a Red Skull or Master Man cameo or something). At the oil spill, Namor finds an American flag amonst other debris, and sets off to find the nation of the ships origin. Too long have the Atlanteans put up with the worlds garbage. With his great strength beyond human and atlantean kin, he embarks to the great metropolitan center, New York, as his senses lead him to the grotesque factories pumping smoke into the air.

New York weathers two of Namor's attacks as they would bombing raids, the police can't stop him, and another New York hero, the Angel is helpless against him, but the Angel is also an unparalleled detective, and he finds information regarding a unique invention that may help stop the water-born Namor. He tracks down Horton, now in hiding in an abandoned factory warehouse, tinkering away on his machine man, yet unable to fix that one lethal bug. Angel confronts him, and manages to convince him to unleash the machine and stop Namor. He does so, and the newly awakened mechanical being steps forth, ablaze, and by Horton's command goes off to find the savage Sub-Mariner. They battle once, Namor narrowly defeats the machine, but retreats back to the ocean, to heal his wounds and rethink his plans. (The fight would be a great chance for a cameo by the guy from Marvels.)

After some interim story featuring the Torch, having been christened as, falsly, the "Human" Torch by the public when he fought the Atlantean Prince, slowly, within in Horton's warehouse, he learns to control his abilities, and takes the name James Hammond. Within this time, I think something like the bar scene in Marvels would be cool to have, and have a cameo by Mark Todd, the Blazing Skull--since he was a reporter, it would be neat to have him follow the Torch around and write about him a bit.

Undersea Namor converses with his grandfather and grandmother, the King and Queen of Atlantis, and his mother. They provide him with a contingent of troops to invade New York with. Steps should be taken to make the audience empathize with the Atlantean plight, their actions are purely defensive, in their views they're being attacked with severe chemical weapons, the equivalent of the black plague is sweeping through their people. Great time for a Fin cameo.

Finally, Namor attacks again as his forces converge on the city, and Hammond comes to meet him in the sky, they fight of course, the city is completely disregarded, buildings topple, massive holes are torn through the bridges, etc. etc.

Not sure how to end it. Don't want to wuss out and have Namor be like "I respect you, i'l leave you alone" or have Namor "kill" torch and have him be rebuilt, or Torch dehydrate Namor, but have the water/atlantean medicine revive him. What do you think?

DarkCrawler
Nice idea. smile

Although Invaders movie would still be good. yes

DarkCrawler
I still say no Namor. I don't like the idea of the gay looking heroes with their little briefs on. You can't tell me that looks masculine and threatening or anything. I'd much rather see Aquaman, but not Aquaman with the shirt constantly off and whatnot.

That's hardly the only Namor costume...

http://jerome.galica.free.fr/marvel/Fantastic%20Four/associes/namor/SubMariner_TheOrder.gif

ScarletSpider
Say what you will about the series itself, but I liked the costume from the 2003 teen-Namor series. A bit more jewelry, his arm guantlet things looked a lot cooler, and he had a toga type thing instead of the speedo--a small change, but one that made him not look retarded but still kept it basic and had a Namor feel to it.

NoFate007
Originally posted by DarkCrawler
That's hardly the only Namor costume...

http://jerome.galica.free.fr/marvel/Fantastic%20Four/associes/namor/SubMariner_TheOrder.gif

A lot better....minus the wings on the feet lol

Sir Whirlysplat
Namor must wear the green speedo's and I suggest giving him a lisp.

DarkCrawler
A lot better....minus the wings on the feet lol

Read through some 40's comics.

Ankle wings were badass compared to some things they invented then...

DarkCrawler
Originally posted by ScarletSpider
Say what you will about the series itself, but I liked the costume from the 2003 teen-Namor series. A bit more jewelry, his arm guantlet things looked a lot cooler, and he had a toga type thing instead of the speedo--a small change, but one that made him not look retarded but still kept it basic and had a Namor feel to it.

Yeah. Nice touch. The black costume is better though. cool

I hated the series itself though. Was someone from Disney writing it, because it reminded me more of Little Mermaid then Namor...laughing out loud

Sir Whirlysplat
Nice Avvy DC

NoFate007
I still hate Namor lol Even with the black costume

roughrider
I still hate Namor lol Even with the black costume

Yes, your opinion has been noted on this thread time and again. Why are you posting? roll eyes (sarcastic)

DarkCrawler
Originally posted by Sir Whirlysplat
Nice Avvy DC

Thanks.

While you haven't posted a real reason for it...anyway, this thread is not about Namor hating, so...

Mindship
Originally posted by jrodslam
Vin Deisel can also play a good Namor i think

Vin shoulda bin Wolverin.

Knightfall93
It's obvious who should play Namor...

...Dr Spock!

CaptainStoic
I thought about it really hard, do you guys remember that actor from the Dragon the story about the life of Bruce Lee? Well his name is Jason Scott Lee... I think he'd play a good Namor. I'm sure there are others out there but he came to mind.

redcaped
A guy willing to work as a team, or else.

Valharu
Doctor Spock would be good if he was younger. :BLINK:

DarkCrawler
Originally posted by CaptainStoic
I thought about it really hard, do you guys remember that actor from the Dragon the story about the life of Bruce Lee? Well his name is Jason Scott Lee... I think he'd play a good Namor. I'm sure there are others out there but he came to mind.

http://handson.provocateuse.com/images/photos/jason_scott_lee_01.jpg

That's actually pretty good! smile

He isn't completely like Namor, but he certainly is the best this far...well, if Yul Brunner would be younger he'd be the best.

Zahit
I'm not sure about his acting prowess, but Chris Klein from
American Pie looks like Namor.......

http://bangitout.com/tribeca2004/chris-klien.jpg

TheKahn
We all know who should play Namor....

http://img118.imageshack.us/img118/3131/namor3uk.jpg

DarkCrawler
Originally posted by TheKahn

NO!

DarkCrawler
Originally posted by Zahit
I'm not sure about his acting prowess, but Chris Klein from
American Pie looks like Namor.......

http://bangitout.com/tribeca2004/chris-klien.jpg

He's pretty good choice too. big grin

thesilverspider
He's pretty good choice too. big grin
He's not asain we need an asain like jet lee.........shifty

TheKahn
Seriously how about Oded Fehr. He was in "The Mummy"

http://img118.imageshack.us/img118/165/mummyguy7xm.jpg

thesilverspider
Seriously how about Oded Fehr. He was in "The Mummy"

http://img118.imageshack.us/img118/165/mummyguy7xm.jpg
Too spanish

TheKahn
Originally posted by thesilverspider
Too spanish

Well then I guess he could still play Tony Stark or Dr. Strange wink

thesilverspider
Well then I guess he could still play Tony Stark or Dr. Strange wink
Yup,now maybe cow yun fat can play namor........ evil face

CaptainStoic
Actually Adrien Brody is a good choice wrong eyebrow though, What about Thor? Does anyone think Tripple H from WWE fame would be a good Thor?

roughrider
Splash.

redcaped
We want this wing problem solved with the exception of Captain America...it means freedom. People don't care much for fitness today...it's a real problem finding the ideal player. Ordinary people have better chance than any actor or star.

roughrider
What's this Ryan Reynolds rumour?
Before it was him maybe being The Flash and/or Deadpool. Now Namor as well?

Somehow, I believe a European actor is what's needed for this role.

The_Olympian
How about him (if he buffed up):

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g81/The_Olympian/lost20ian20somerhalder.jpg

Arahan
He looks gay......the perfect Namor lol

The_Olympian
It's Ian Somerhalder from Lost (The TV Series)

Syndicate_Lord
How about we forget the possibility of a werestler as ANY actor. wrestlers may be muscular but they generally suck cock as actors!

Swanky-Tuna
What about Thor? Does anyone think Tripple H from WWE fame would be a good Thor?
Heck no.

Syndicate_Lord
Wrestles as actors= BS film

The_Olympian
so no one likes my ian somerhaultor idea? He's not a wrestler!

Syndicate_Lord
I vote Leonard Nimoy!

roughrider
Originally posted by HellMaster93
I vote Leonard Nimoy!

Nimoy can be his grandfather. big grin

DarkCrawler
Apparently David Self (Road to Perdition) will be writing the script for Sub-Mariner film. He will also write the scripts of Captain America and Deathlok films. Of course, none of this is guanteered.

Film will probably appear on 2007.

DarkCrawler
Nimoy can be his grandfather. big grin He doesn't really look like his grandfather. stick out tongue Maybe if you'd paint his skin blue:
http://img475.imageshack.us/img475/6995/namorfamilytreekopio8ke.gif

badabing

This is a perfect Namor! eek! If you smeeeellllll what the Namor is cookin'. shifty

DarkCrawler
THAT JOKE IS OLD! miffed mad

roughrider
Apparently David Self (Road to Perdition) will be writing the script for Sub-Mariner film. He will also write the scripts of Captain America and Deathlok films. Of course, none of this is guanteered.

Film will probably appear on 2007.

If it's 2007, they need to start NOW. But I don't think so. We already have Wolverine, Ghost Rider, Spider Man 3 and Fantastic Four 2 next year; and who knows about these sequels to Elektra and Punisher eek!
2008 seems more realistic. Iron Man will come out, maybe Hulk 2 by then.

DarkCrawler
Yeah, 2008-2009 sounds realistic.

badabing
THAT JOKE IS OLD! miffed mad
Sorry bro, I couldn't resist. laughing
I really don't think the Rock should play Namor.

DarkCrawler
http://www.winkscollectibles.com/catalog/Garfield_Well_Duh_thumb.jpg

roughrider
After watching some of THE TUDORS, I think they should be knocking on the door of Jonathan Rhys Meyers. His version of King Henry the VIII has some of Namor's qualities - a majesty of presence, quick intelligence and decision maker, athletic, coupled with a hot-blooded temper when wronged. He's got the look, too.

hugekent
Yeh I can see him as Namor. Much better than him as Gambit anyway, as has been suggested.

CaptainStoic
After watching some of THE TUDORS, I think they should be knocking on the door of Jonathan Rhys Meyers. His version of King Henry the VIII has some of Namor's qualities - a majesty of presence, quick intelligence and decision maker, athletic, coupled with a hot-blooded temper when wronged. He's got the look, too.

Dude they should hire you as a movie scout... That is Namor to the bone.
Good eye!

roughrider
Dude they should hire you as a movie scout... That is Namor to the bone.
Good eye!

Thanks very much. I just wish I knew where to send letters, to lobby for JRM...

endrict
How about Hugh? even though he was Wolverine...

http://www.jackmanslanding.com/gallery/mags-portraits/images/hugh_01.jpg

Switch 07
He doesn't really look like his grandfather. stick out tongue Maybe if you'd paint his skin blue:
http://img475.imageshack.us/img475/6995/namorfamilytreekopio8ke.gif So what relation is Thor to Namor? confused

endrict
Originally posted by Switch 07
So what relation is Thor to Namor? confused

The kind that you only see at family reunions.... confused

roughrider
It's been quiet for a long time - is Jonathan Mostow on this project anymore?
If it doesn't happen, I suspect they will leave Namor for an Avengers film, or Fantastic Four sequel.

Cap'n Happy
Originally posted by Draco69
Captain Marvel?! Oh god. He needs to be shot. I will only allow him to play someone obnoxious like Juggernaut. Jesus, people we want GOOD actors.

Why was Batman Begins so good? Because we had a GOOD actor. Not a former WWE stuntsman.

Jude Law may be good choice with major bulking. I would prefer a no name actor to play Namor. No name actors playing superheroes have a tendency to do very well.

You're right on every count ('tho I do think that the Rock could make a good Black Adam- with the right director to keep him from hamming it up). No huge muscle head for Namor, please. He should have the sleek and athletic build of a swimmer. Watching someone like Lou Ferigno trying to swim is almost laughable.

CaptainStoic
Jason Scott Lee would make a decent choice to play Namor.

http://www.martialinfo.com/contacts/images/13839.jpg

roughrider
Jason Scott Lee would make a decent choice to play Namor.

http://www.martialinfo.com/contacts/images/13839.jpg

That picture is 15 years old. Lee would be too old by the time this film gets going, and he's not right ethnically. A Eurasian actor, perhaps; not a full Asian.

Dgw2007
Originally posted by Draco69

Jude Law may be good choice with major bulking. I would prefer a no name actor to play Namor. No name actors playing superheroes have a tendency to do very well. The Rock is a GOOD ACTOR

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.