Suitcase theory, and the Death of Vincent.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Solo
It would make sense if inside the suitcase was Marsellus's soul. Hence Ezekiel 1:1 - 1:25. More specifically Ezekiels 1:16 and 1:20 -

Ezekiel 1:16 The appearance of the wheels and their work was like unto the colour of a beryl: and they four had one likeness: and their appearance and their work was as it were a wheel in the middle of a wheel.

Ezekiel 1:20 Whithersoever the spirit was to go, they went, thither was their spirit to go; and the wheels were lifted up over against them: for the spirit of the living creature was in the wheels.

Meaning that the living creature's souls were inside of different objects. In Marsellus's case, the suitcase. Without the suitcase, Marsellus was ruthless i.e. throwing Tony Rocky Horror out of the building.

I also agree with the theory that Vincent died because of his lack of belief in divine intervention. Hence these passages:

Ezekiel 3:18 When I say unto the wicked, Thou shalt surely die; and thou givest him not warning, nor speakest to warn the wicked from his wicked way, to save his life; the same wicked man shall die in his iniquity; but his blood will I require at thine hand.

Ezekiel 3:19 Yet if thou warn the wicked, and he turn not from his wickedness, nor from his wicked way, he shall die in his iniquity; but thou hast delivered thy soul.

Meaning, Jules was a messenger sent to warn Vincent that if he didn't stop killing, he would die.

Mando
Very interesting point on that topic solo.

The entire Ezekiel philosophy is taken and put into Pulp Fiction. It's nice to see a director who hides little messages within his movies. I love that.

Nevermind
Wow, that's a nice find. I actually looked up the passage Jules reads out and QT actually changed a bit of the wording, to suit the movie I suppose.

Myth
I still disagree with the soul thing simply because Tim Roth says, "Is that what I think it is?" Nobody on the streets such as him would know what a soul looks like. I'm sticking with some sort of gold but not gold bars because that case appears way to light to be gold bars.

As for the divine intervention, that makes sense. I like it.

Mando
Remember the first time you were introduced to Marsellus Wallace. The first shot of him was of the back of his head, complete with band-aid. Then, remember the combination of the lock on the briefcase was 666. Then, remember that whenever anyone opened the briefcase, it glowed, and they were in amazement at how beautiful it was; they were speechless. Now, bring in some Bible knowledge, and remember that when the devil takes your soul, he takes it from the back of your head.

Yep, you guessed it. What is the most beautiful thing about a person: his soul. Marsellus Wallace had sold his soul to the devil, and was trying to buy it back. The three men in the beginning of the movie were the devil's helpers. And remember that when the guy at the end came out of the bathroom with a "hand cannon," Jules and Vincent were not harmed by the bullets. "God came down and stopped the bullets" because they were saving a soul. It was divine intervention.

Wolfie
Wow, that's some cool stuff. I especially liked the explanation of Vega's death because, why else would it be so sudden? Vega walks in a room and Butch shoots him.

Mando
Originally posted by Wolfie
Wow, that's some cool stuff. I especially liked the explanation of Vega's death because, why else would it be so sudden? Vega walks in a room and Butch shoots him.

That scene was done very well. I loved how there was an awkward silence that Uma talked about. And then something breaks the silence (Pastries) and then the conversation ends (Death of vincent).

Its Mrs. Wallaces theory explained physically.

Myth
Originally posted by Mando
Remember the first time you were introduced to Marsellus Wallace. The first shot of him was of the back of his head, complete with band-aid. Then, remember the combination of the lock on the briefcase was 666. Then, remember that whenever anyone opened the briefcase, it glowed, and they were in amazement at how beautiful it was; they were speechless. Now, bring in some Bible knowledge, and remember that when the devil takes your soul, he takes it from the back of your head.

Yep, you guessed it. What is the most beautiful thing about a person: his soul. Marsellus Wallace had sold his soul to the devil, and was trying to buy it back. The three men in the beginning of the movie were the devil's helpers. And remember that when the guy at the end came out of the bathroom with a "hand cannon," Jules and Vincent were not harmed by the bullets. "God came down and stopped the bullets" because they were saving a soul. It was divine intervention.

I understand it being beautiful, but recognizable? It doesn't make much sense to me when Roth says "Is that what I think it is?" if it is a soul.

newfangled
i dno if its anything, n im not a pulp fiction expert, but i noticed in the scene where vincent n jules go to the apartment to get the suitcase, the frame around the curtains appears to be in the shape of jesus on the cross

Mando
Originally posted by Myth
I understand it being beautiful, but recognizable? It doesn't make much sense to me when Roth says "Is that what I think it is?" if it is a soul.

Who knows? Maybe it's something swirling around that looks very 'spiritual' like. Tarantino only gives us enough information to make things up for ourselves. It's actually a great concept. The suitcase contains what we want it to contain.

Dresta
yeah i've heard this before, that Marsellus Wallace's soul is in the briefcase and that the plaster on the back of his neck is where it was sucked out.

Soth
I like that theory on the suitcase. I never think that deep into situations. I can only see one flaw in the reasoning though. When Tim Roth's character sees what's in the suitcase, he says "Is that what I think it is?" Why would he know what a soul looks like?

I always thought that it was just premium heroine. . .mostly because Jules and Vincent were talking about it before doing the hit, and Tim Roth's character would more likely know what heroine is over a soul

StinkFist462
always thought it was gold. but that wouldnt explain why the same aura comes out of the guy they shot. the soul theory makes lots of sense but Tim's line is what kinda voids that theory. how would a coffee shop robber know what a soul looks like?

newfangled
i reckon the fact that he duz kno wat it is makes it so awesum. I mean if u wer to see a soul, even if u had neva seen 1, im sure it wud look lyk nothing else ever to be seen. the fact that he knows it must be a soul, shows that it is unique, as if he didnt know it was a soul it wud be becoz it lkd less extraordinary!

Solo
I am kinda convinced that it's Mia's soul. Marsellus is a bad person, why would his soul be so beautiful? Makes more sense if it's Mia's, whoever ****s with the suitcase gets killed. Pumpkin didn't steal it, therefore he lived, he would've got killed. But Tony Rocky Horror touched Mia, therefore he got killed.

Marsellus learned to forgive, and in a way, Mia was reborn.

Stop me if I'm not making any sense.

Just a secondary theory.

Soth
I recently heard a theory from a friend of mine that it's the diamonds from Reservoir Doga

Deathblow
Originally posted by Solo
I am kinda convinced that it's Mia's soul. Marsellus is a bad person, why would his soul be so beautiful? Makes more sense if it's Mia's, whoever ****s with the suitcase gets killed. Pumpkin didn't steal it, therefore he lived, he would've got killed. But Tony Rocky Horror touched Mia, therefore he got killed.

Marsellus learned to forgive, and in a way, Mia was reborn.

Stop me if I'm not making any sense.

Just a secondary theory.

Tony didn't die, he just ended up disabled. That's what Jules tells Vincent at the beginning anyway.

I don't think it's Mia's soul personally, simply because it was Marcellus with the plaster over his head, not Mia. Besides, she's nowhere near evil enough to be soul-less. And Marcellus didn't forgive Butch, the scene where Butch saves him and is told to get out of town is just mirroring the ''honor amongst thieves'' theme from Reservoir Dogs.

As for the ''how would Pumpkin know what a soul looks like?'' question, well, how would anyone know what a soul looks like? Have any of you seen one before? I think it's irrelevant whether or not Pumpkin is smart enough to know what it is, a soul is the most beautiful and pure thing in existence, when you see one, you just know what it is, as there can be nothing else like it. That's why he says ''is that what I think it is?'', because if it was (as other theories suggest), gold bars or heroin, he wouldn't need to ask. It's pretty obvious.

Myth
If I saw a suitcase full of gold I would be in enough shock to say, "Is that what I think it is?"

Vinny Valentine
Theres only one thing, If he sold his soul to the Devil he wouldn't have lt Butch go when thhey were in the basement, Even if he did save his life. With no soul he wouldn't care, he would kill butch just the same as the others.

Deathblow
Read again:

Originally posted by Deathblow
And Marcellus didn't forgive Butch , the scene where Butch saves him and is told to get out of town is just mirroring the ''honor amongst thieves'' theme from Reservoir Dogs.

It's about rules, not emotions.

And I still don't buy the gold thing. If it was just gold in the case, why the hell would Tarantino feel the need to never actually show it? Gold may be valuable, but it's not worth the mythical status the contents of that case is given in the movie. Plus, on the more obvious side, gold cannot produce the amount of light that the contents did, everyone who looked inside had their faces illuminated, gold bars don't, nay, can't do that.

Myth

And I still don't buy the gold thing. If it was just gold in the case, why the hell would Tarantino feel the need to never actually show it?

Because what really is inside the suitcase is not really important. QT says its whatever we want it to be. Its pretty much just meant to be something valuable that people desire. Gold is the most obvious answer since Samuel L. Jackson seems to assume that Pumpkin would like to have it (what would he want an extra soul for?) and because of the glow being gold colored.

Deathblow
QT says its whatever we want it to be.

Which is why it's ok to argue about it wink

Gold is the most obvious answer

Exactly why I don't think it's gold.

And Pumpkin never actually says he wants it, he just says ''it's beautiful''. Like you said, Jules only assumes he wants it (and I'm pretty sure, if it's as heart-stoppingly beautiful as the characters make it out to be, it would be pretty damn valuable, more so than shiny metal that's for sure). And I'll repeat, gold cannot illuminate people's faces like the case's contents do. Or maybe they were radioactive gold bars, you tell me.

Vinny Valentine

Exactly why I don't think it's gold.

And Pumpkin never actually says he wants it, he just says ''it's beautiful''. Like you said, Jules only assumes he wants it (and I'm pretty sure, if it's as heart-stoppingly beautiful as the characters make it out to be, it would be pretty damn valuable, more so than shiny metal that's for sure). And I'll repeat, gold cannot illuminate people's faces like the case's contents do. Or maybe they were radioactive gold bars, you tell me.

laughing out loud Hes got a point.

Myth

Trust me, I understand that. I still think its gold though. wink

Deathblow
Say gold again mother****er, I dare you.

One other thing before everyone gets really bored of this age-old argument; the theory of Marcellus' soul being in the case also fits very neatly in with the movie's religious theme, redemption and whatnot. Jules being the one who ''sees the light'' as it were, and saves Pumpkin and Yolanda's life, and tries to save Vincent's. And now he's delivering Marcellus' soul back to him, thus making him a human being again. Which brings us back to the plaster on the back of his head thing again...I dunno, all the evidence just screams at the contents of the case being Marcellus' soul. From my POV anyway.

Bardock42
I like the Soul Theory, for one I think it is too shiny for Gold and why should everyone be so stunned when it is gold. Sure that would be a lot of money, but still it's not that stunning. The "Is that what I think it is" would in my opinion even support that, cause it seems like something that he never has seen before. And how is Gold "Beautiful".

Dusty
Something I noticed:

Did anyone else notice (during the crash scene) the large amount of emphasis that was put on Marcellus Wallace when he produces the line, "I'll be Damned"?

And Damned, of corse meaning; "people who are condemned to eternal punishment" or "Souls doomed to eternal punishment."

NoFate007
Some things that weren't mentioned:

Butch rides away on the motorcycle into the sunset which has a license plate of GRACE.

"I think I cracked a rib." = Adam and Eve (bit of a stretch in my opinion for that one though)

Why did MW let Butch go? He redeemed himself in a way through that, as well as he could have been given the case by then (remember the film is out of order and the last shot is Butch leaving with Fabian).

"Is that what I think it is?" means not that he knows exactly what it is, it simply means that he thinks its something, and he's asking if that's what it is. The fact that Jules automatically knows what he's talking about means that it has to be something awe inspiring that was very unique. He wouldn't say that about gold or whatever unless he was a total idiot. Plus, gold, diamonds, money...that stuff doesn't glow like that, and it certainly doesn't explain how the guy that they shoot glows too, unless you want to say that he has diamonds stuck inside his chest lol.

Only questions though:

Why was Marvin killed if he was helping Jules and Vincent?

What was Lance's role, seeing as how he helped revive Mia, but he definitely has some sort of a metaphorical context (look at how the guy resembles Jesus - long hair, beard, sandals, light robe-like clothing)

Dusty
Originally posted by NoFate007
Why was Marvin killed if he was helping Jules and Vincent?

Remember the question Vincent was asking?

" Do you really think god came down and stopped the bullets from- *BAM* "

Just a mere act of god showing his righteousness.

The Lord Giveth, the Lord Taketh away.

NoFate007
Ah yeah. I forgot about that.

"What do you think about all this Marvin?"
"Man, I don't even have an opinion." - Marvin's the atheist of the film lol

NoFate007
Still leaves us with Lance though.....hmmm.......

Dusty
Which was Lance, again? Oh right, the Jesus Fellow.

NoFate007
"F*ck you, Lance! Answer!" lol

Now I know the cereal has nothing to do with it, but yeah. Let's see....

Dusty
Maybe it has some symbolic reasoning to it?

Like We seldom hear Jesus respond to us? big grin

NoFate007
Haha.

John 3:11 - "And Jesus shall return with a red magic marker or felt pen..."

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.