Some people just make a big deal out of nothing.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

WindDancer
Check this out...

I just came back from my coffee break and I was the spectator of a ackward scene. I went to get me a cup of decaf at my local coffee house. And I know the girl who usually works there. She's nice and very helpful. But today she was having trouble working with the blender.

And there was a small line of people. There was a guy (in his mid 20's) who made a big deal because the girl was taking too long. It was rather embarrasing to witness the guy flip over a friggin cup of blended coffee. He complain to the manager and finally he got his drink and left the place talking crap.

So the girl goes to the back of the store and I notice she was almost crying. The lady behind me was feeling bad for her. So I'm thinking that really blows. Friggin Jerk....I wanted to elbow his ass as he was walking away.

Lana
I work in a coffee place....and I deal with idiots like that every day.

WindDancer
I know is not easy for you guys to take so many orders. I really hate people making a big deal out of a friggin cup of coffee.

Raven Guardia
Originally posted by Lana

I think a lot of people who work in the public serving others like you, deal with a lot of shit you guys don't deserve.

Lana
I work in the mornings, when it's at the busiest, and I'm always in charge of the front counter. Between 7-8 am, when it's the worst, even if I have 3 other people helping me with orders the line is huge. Luckily people rarely get snippy about us taking a long time because unless someone orders something really big or complex it takes no longer than a minute to get each customer through and served.

Recently I had someone having a fit at me because the total for his coffee wasn't the same as on the signboard. I was like "yes, because that price up there doesn't include the tax." roll eyes (sarcastic)

pimptress

Me too. I work at Starbucks. Ya know the people complain all the time that its taking to long and then when it's finally done they tell you it's not what they ordered or it tastes funny

Bun Bun
Originally posted by WindDancer
Check this out...

I just came back from my coffee break and I was the spectator of a ackward scene. I went to get me a cup of decaf at my local coffee house. And I know the girl who usually works there. She's nice and very helpful. But today she was having trouble working with the blender.

And there was a small line of people. There was a guy (in his mid 20's) who made a big deal because the girl was taking too long. It was rather embarrasing to witness the guy flip over a friggin cup of blended coffee. He complain to the manager and finally he got his drink and left the place talking crap.

So the girl goes to the back of the store and I notice she was almost crying. The lady behind me was feeling bad for her. So I'm thinking that really blows. Friggin Jerk....I wanted to elbow his ass as he was walking away.

Thats so mean! mad I would of so said/done something to that jerk!

Pandemoniac
Many people get egocentric while purchasing something. They have something they want on their mind and want to get it that very instant. All expectable prospects of the conditions, like people in line before them, complex orders needing more time, overkill of customers to those who have to serve them, go right out the window for them and they just go 'Me, me me!' While getting more frustrated at every second they are left without what they want and ending up not satisfied when they get it cause in their minds it expanded to some holy icon they must obtain instead of just a cup of coffee.
In short words, people tend to fall back to little kids behaviour when they can't instantly get what they want (I saw women fighting at shoe sales over the last pair of one) and instead of coping and understanding the reason why it takes time, they go and whine.

T.V.O.T.I.
I just realized I fuk'd up. I told this local band I would be at their show and they told me to meet up with them after the show. They'll know if I show up or if dont because they have seen my face on myspace. messed The thing is I don't know if I'll be able to make it to the show. Actually I don't wanna go. bag

MarioX
I agree, WD. Like, look at that post I made an hour ago. I was completely right!

Lana
We tend to laugh at and make fun of the people who have fits over nothing when they're gone laughing out loud

§P0oONY
Check this out...

Bloody hell, You drink decaf? no expression

That is the most pointless type of coffee available.

Doesn't that jerk realise that coffee isn't instant to make... moron.

Alpha Centauri
I think there are two sides to the coin.

If you can't cope, you shouldn't be working in such a hectic place. A friend of mine ordered something as simple as a cheese baguette with no tomato and they messed it up, one time.

On the other hand, some people are overly aggressive about things. It's stupid.

-AC

Lana
Originally posted by Alpha Centauri

If you can't cope, you shouldn't be working in such a hectic place. A friend of mine ordered something as simple as a cheese baguette with no tomato and they messed it up, one time.

-AC

When it's really busy, then even the simplest things can get messed up, but it's usually an easy thing to fix.

But there's really no excuse for people acting so childish over having to wait an extra 30 seconds.

What really gets to me is when people place an order, and then change it - AFTER you finish making everything.

pimptress

-AC

I can deal with people who want a certain thing. But they shouldn't complain about how long it takes.

WindDancer

Lana
Originally posted by pimptress
I can deal with people who want a certain thing. But they shouldn't complain about how long it takes.

Exactly.

If you want a latte, don't expect it to be ready in 15 seconds. It takes a while to make. And especially don't complain if we're waiting on 5 other people at the same time.

Fëanor
Check this out...

So the girl goes to the back of the store and I notice she was almost crying. The lady behind me was feeling bad for her. So I'm thinking that really blows. Friggin Jerk....I wanted to elbow his ass as he was walking away. you shoulda kicked him on the butt as he walked out, then turn around quickly like nuthin' happened...

§P0oONY
After 15 years of drinking regular coffee....I have to...or else I get an upset stomach when driking regular.

To AC: There are indeed to sides to the coin. But there is no real reason to get upset over a simple cup of java.

Ahhh... that's okay then... I find decaf gives me gas.

pimptress
Exactly.

If you want a latte, don't expect it to be ready in 15 seconds. It takes a while to make. And especially don't complain if we're waiting on 5 other people at the same time.

Right! And I mean if some part of the machine isn't working don't stand there and tap your foot and look at your watch and sigh. It's not our fault

WindDancer

TwisterGameX
I admire wind dancers selfcontrol. Me well i wouldn't throw him through the window but i think maybe..just maybe i would of yelled at him.

Lana
Originally posted by pimptress
Right! And I mean if some part of the machine isn't working don't stand there and tap your foot and look at your watch and sigh. It's not our fault

I know! Like, our toaster was broken for a while so while it was getting fixed we couldn't toast bagels for people....then our hot chocolate machine broke for like three days....and both times people were practically having fits.

And of course the people who have temper tantrums over the prices and taking it out on us. Because we really set the prices roll eyes (sarcastic)

Fëanor
I really had the desire to do it. I really did! I've known that girl ever since she started working there....she's always been cool. I had to suck it up. I was wearing my company's logo on my shirt. Darn it! hahahaha....well, that don't help then does it? big grin

but then you're a bigger man than me that's for sure...i've said, "dude, chill!" a few times in situations like that....99.99% they do. since most coffee drinkers aren't really looking for a fight at their lunch breaks or before they go to work...

Ladyluck
I hate customers like that. I have to deal with them all the time at work and it puts me in such a bad mood.

tabby999
people think they can just step in and be treated like kings. at work we get that alot. the worst is people who want a waiter who sit at their table and click their fingers or whistle. their not frigging dogs people, they're people too. when i was at Big Day Out the merch line was friggin huge, there was like 10 people behind the tents register going flat out but this idiot started to yell stuff out, standing on the table and being a wanker, i tried to set his pants on fire but my lighter wasn't putting out a big enough flame to catch them...i was rather dissapointed

GCG
I really had the desire to do it. I really did! I've known that girl ever since she started working there....she's always been cool. I had to suck it up. I was wearing my company's logo on my shirt. Darn it!

You should have stepped in and said:

"You are on MTV's Boiling Points DUH !"

then start clapping and smiling.

Fëanor
Originally posted by Ladyluck
I hate customers like that. I have to deal with them all the time at work and it puts me in such a bad mood. you know what you need to do...and this works everytime i've done it.

whenever they get you in that mood this is what you gotta do

CUST: "Excuse me..."
YOU: "what?"
CUST: "can you...?"
CUST: "do you know..."
CUST: "can i speak..."

i guarantee they'll leave yah alone...yes

GCG
or tell them that you dont accept arrogant complaints.

DrDoom101
Check this out...

was the girl in her teens?

Fëanor
Originally posted by GCG
or tell them that you dont accept arrogant complaints. that works too...

Fëanor
Originally posted by DrDoom101
was the girl in her teens? why? would ya like to ask her out? stick out tongue

WindDancer
Originally posted by DrDoom101
was the girl in her teens?

She is 17 (I think). But age shouldn't matter. No one deserves that kind of treatmen.

Fëanor
She is 17 (I think). But age shouldn't matter. No one deserves that kind of treatmen. so was this at a starbuck's downtown bro? if so, is this guy a frequent customer? if so, what times does he frequent?

WindDancer
I swear Feanor....your avy makes want to visit Le Sex shop. stick out tongue

It wasn't a starbucks. It was a local wannabe Coffee Bean and Tea leaf coffee house. And never seen the dude before. Just some average guy on the street.

Fëanor
I swear Feanor....your avy makes want to visit Le Sex shop. stick out tongue

It wasn't a starbucks. It was a local wannabe Coffee Bean and Tea leaf coffee house. And never seen the dude before. Just some average guy on the street. hahahaha...why you think i haven't gotten rid of it...you should try Miss Kitty's stick out tongue

rats!!! i think i know that place...HA! maybe i should get a part time job there just to have that chick point him out so i can give him a hard time, yeah? big grin

Inspectah Deck
Check this out...

Why didn't you hit him?

Snoopbert
When it's really busy, then even the simplest things can get messed up, but it's usually an easy thing to fix.

But there's really no excuse for people acting so childish over having to wait an extra 30 seconds.

What really gets to me is when people place an order, and then change it - AFTER you finish making everything. What if they have 10 seconds to save the world?

DarkC
Originally posted by Snoopbert
What if they have 10 seconds to save the world?
So many 'what if's! Let's stick to reality, how 'bout.

WindDancer
Originally posted by Inspectah Deck
Why didn't you hit him?

I really had the desire to do it. I really did! I've known that girl ever since she started working there....she's always been cool. I had to suck it up. I was wearing my company's logo on my shirt. Darn it!

Just to update you guys. I saw her this morning and ask how she was doing. She said it was cool and almost forgotten the whole incident. Her manager was cool about the issue. So she is much better. big grin

§P0oONY
I went to get a coffee on Saturday, it took like 10 mins to make ('twas a trainee) and it tasted horrible... I got over it though, drank it down and didn't get all pissy....

Syren
clapping

But, why the special treatment for the coffee maker? What about us? cry

WindDancer
Special treatment? blink

Lana
Today I wanted to kill people big grin

GCG
Today i have a headache

Jedi Priestess
Unfortunately John Q. Public took the expression "The customer is always right." and ran with it. Many people think this gives them the right to treat ANYONE in the customer service area like shit.

About 3 weeks ago I was standing in line at the cable company to pay my cable bill watching some broad completely and utterly humiliate and berate the gal behind the counter because the wind had disconnected her cable service. As she passed by me on her way out the door I said to her "Wow arent you miss thang?" and 2 other people in line started freaking clapping, hysterical SHE was then the humiliated one and I hope she remembers this the next time she goes to treat someone like crap.

Lana
Gah, I hate that "the customer is always right" because sometimes, they're NOT.

Jedi Priestess
In todays society more like 80% of the time they arent, they are just being belligerent.

Lana
Yep....it's like, I don't care how many times you complain about how we don't carry something or don't do something a certain way, that doesn't mean you're right. Deal with it or go somewhere else.

Ronny
THATS bullshit! If you cant handle the heat... make your own ****ing coffee.

I would've hugged her sad poor girl

my dad does shit like that all the time

bilb
oh it gets better.. last night had these 3 chicks who had us running in circles trying to help them.. they were literally TRYING to pick a fight.. and guess why? cause one of them had called corporate once before to complain about a situation and what did they do? gave hre a coupon for 30% off her entire purchase.. so what's she do?? she & her two friends put ALL three purchases on one bill so they could ALL get 30% off AND STILL tried to pick a fight so they could call corporate again.. they basically walked out with over $100 in free shit due to 'the customer's always right'

and yeah is it soo damn hard to make coffee at home FFS??

Alpha Centauri
I think it's a bit stupid to say "If you don't like it, make your own coffee."

I'm not condoning the behaviour of assholes, but you chose the job of making coffee for people and serving it to them. You chose the job of public servitude, so you are the one's who should 'deal' with it (no I don't mean deal with abuse, but deal with the fact that you are gonna get some passively shitty customers). By taking the job you're agreeing to do the job. Don't take it, get paid for it and complain. People go to coffee shops and restaurants to be served and waited upon. If the customer is made to feel like they shouldn't bother the employees or ARE bothering the employees, then the employees aren't doing their job properly quite frankly.

I've been in restaurants where my associate has wanted a drink or something trivial and said something like "He/she looks tired, I'll wait for someone else." That's all nice and everything, but it's their job.

I'll be polite to a needed degree, because that's common respect. But I'm not going to put myself in the position of not being served just so the person who CHOSE to do the job doesn't have to work as hard. People often coming in for coffee might have had a harder day than you have, so it works both ways. Working in a hectic coffee shop might very well be bad. Try working on a construction site in the beating sun or stuck in an insurance office with broken air conditioning.

You chose to shovel shit, don't whine about the smell.

-AC

Lana
Yeah, it's our job, but it doesn't give the customers a right to be an assholes for no reason whatsoever. We're paid to make and serve the stuff, not deal with people set on being moronic idiots.

Today was totally hellish because only four of us were working (as opposed to 7 or 8), and that combined with it being really busy as it always is in the morning meant that people were stuck waiting a long time, even though we were working as fast as possible. Luckily I know most of the regular customers and they knew that this was very much out of the ordinary.

Mando
Just to update you guys. I saw her this morning and ask how she was doing. She said it was cool and almost forgotten the whole incident. Her manager was cool about the issue. So she is much better. big grin

That's good news.

I hate watching a man putting a woman down.. sad

Lana
Should tell you guys about this total b!tch that came in on Saturday.....

Ladyluck
Should tell you guys about this total b!tch that came in on Saturday.....

Do tell!

Mando
When I was working the counter at suncoast, a guy came in ranting about our prices. He was yelling in my face. I finally had to ask him to leave, and eventually he did, but not immediatley.

Lana
Okay, so Saturday mornings are always really busy, people coming in and buying bunches of donuts and muffins and bagels and stuff for breakfast for their families (unlike during the week when it's mostly people who come in for coffee on their way to work). So it's not unusual for us to be out of most things by noon on Saturday...bagels and muffins and croissants we make there at our store, but donuts we have delivered so once we're out, we're out. This women comes in, and first has a fit because we don't have any regular blueberry muffins left, just the low-fat ones. Then has a hissy fit because we won't subsitute hot chocolate for coffee in a combo. Then has a fit because I tell her that we don't have any croissants ready at the moment, but we're currently baking more and they'll be done in 5 minutes. Then she complains that the prices are too expensive, that the dining area was closed off, and finally just storms out saying she'll go somewhere else. Someone else came in just as she left, and was like "wow, what was her problem? She was having a fit saying how there was nothing left...I told her what did she expect on a Saturday afternoon? For everyone to just not get what they want so SHE can have it?"

Idiot roll eyes (sarcastic)

Mando
Okay, so Saturday mornings are always really busy, people coming in and buying bunches of donuts and muffins and bagels and stuff for breakfast for their families (unlike during the week when it's mostly people who come in for coffee on their way to work). So it's not unusual for us to be out of most things by noon on Saturday...bagels and muffins and croissants we make there at our store, but donuts we have delivered so once we're out, we're out. This women comes in, and first has a fit because we don't have any regular blueberry muffins left, just the low-fat ones. Then has a hissy fit because we won't subsitute hot chocolate for coffee in a combo. Then has a fit because I tell her that we don't have any croissants ready at the moment, but we're currently baking more and they'll be done in 5 minutes. Then she complains that the prices are too expensive, that the dining area was closed off, and finally just storms out saying she'll go somewhere else. Someone else came in just as she left, and was like "wow, what was her problem? She was having a fit saying how there was nothing left...I told her what did she expect on a Saturday afternoon? For everyone to just not get what they want so SHE can have it?"

Idiot roll eyes (sarcastic)

I hate that. People like that need to listen to more Bobby Mcferrin songs.

Ladyluck
laughing

I can't stand when customers freak out like that.

DarkC
laughing

I can't stand when customers freak out like that.
I'd have gotten a kindly old lady to hit the offender with a handbag.

Ladyluck
Originally posted by DarkC
I'd have gotten a kindly old lady to hit the offender with a handbag.

It's usually the old ladies who are grumpy laughing out loud

DarkC
That's why I said kindly!

Lana

Actually, there's a few old ladies that come in to my work regularly and they're very sweet smile

Ladyluck
Actually, there's a few old ladies that come in to my work regularly and they're very sweet smile

The regulars are always great. I know most of their orders because they come in so often. It's pretty cool.

DarkC
No one has the stones to whack back at an elderly lady. Unless it's another elderly lady or an elderly man.

I can just imagine it now.
"Shame on you! Shame, I say!"
*sound of handbag connecting with said offender's head*

Lana
The regulars are always great. I know most of their orders because they come in so often. It's pretty cool.

Same here, there's about 15 people that I see all the time and since they always get the same thing, I don't even need to wait for them to order, and we usually just chat while i"m getting their stuff.

Alpha Centauri
Yeah, it's our job, but it doesn't give the customers a right to be an assholes for no reason whatsoever. We're paid to make and serve the stuff, not deal with people set on being moronic idiots.

Today was totally hellish because only four of us were working (as opposed to 7 or 8), and that combined with it being really busy as it always is in the morning meant that people were stuck waiting a long time, even though we were working as fast as possible. Luckily I know most of the regular customers and they knew that this was very much out of the ordinary.

I know that you're not paid to deal with moronic idiots. Everyone does have the right to safety in the work place, also not to be verbally (hopefully not physically) abused. Of course, I would never disagree. I see people who work in venues, between barrier and stage catching all the people who fly over. They sometimes get physical abuse off people who don't like to be grabbed. Hey, they're there to stop you possibly breaking your damn neck. Better you having a bruised arm from a little rough handling than a severed spinal column or broken neck. EVERYONE has the right to safety and such.

My point was, it works both ways. You accept that your job is to serve. So if someone asks you for ten things, one at a time, regardless of how tedious and annoying it may be, that is your job. Nobody has any right to act differently toward a customer for that. They come in to be served, you work there to serve them.

I think it's the sign of bad service when a customer is made to feel like they're bothering you. Don't wanna be rushed off your feet? Stay at home. You shouldn't have to deal with abuse, no. Similarly, if someone is being an idiot to you, the best thing you can do is just ignore them and continue about doing your job. When I went to NYC, the waiters and waitresses in ESPN Zone were amazing. They might have been having the shittest day, but they seemed to recognise that it was their job and they are there to do it. They make the effort to ASK if you are alright, ASK if you want anything else. After all, you're not there to keep calling them. It IS a waiter/waitressing service. Similarly if you do have to call one of them over, they're not asses about it.

Customers shouldn't have to be mega polite, it's not an obligation. As shocking as that may seem, it's true.

-AC

Ladyluck
Originally posted by DarkC
No one has the stones to whack back at an elderly lady. Unless it's another elderly lady or an elderly man.

I can just imagine it now.
"Shame on you! Shame, I say!"
*sound of handbag connecting with said offender's head*

laughing out loud

Same here, there's about 15 people that I see all the time and since they always get the same thing, I don't even need to wait for them to order, and we usually just chat while i"m getting their stuff.

yes

Lana
I know that you're not paid to deal with moronic idiots. Everyone does have the right to safety in the work place, also not to be verbally (hopefully not physically) abused. Of course, I would never disagree. I see people who work in venues, between barrier and stage catching all the people who fly over. They sometimes get physical abuse off people who don't like to be grabbed. Hey, they're there to stop you possibly breaking your damn neck. Better you having a bruised arm from a little rough handling than a severed spinal column or broken neck. EVERYONE has the right to safety and such.

My point was, it works both ways. You accept that your job is to serve. So if someone asks you for ten things, one at a time, regardless of how tedious and annoying it may be, that is your job. Nobody has any right to act differently toward a customer for that. They come in to be served, you work there to serve them.

I think it's the sign of bad service when a customer is made to feel like they're bothering you. Don't wanna be rushed off your feet? Stay at home. You shouldn't have to deal with abuse, no. Similarly, if someone is being an idiot to you, the best thing you can do is just ignore them and continue about doing your job. When I went to NYC, the waiters and waitresses in ESPN Zone were amazing. They might have been having the shittest day, but they seemed to recognise that it was their job and they are there to do it. They make the effort to ASK if you are alright, ASK if you want anything else. After all, you're not there to keep calling them. It IS a waiter/waitressing service. Similarly if you do have to call one of them over, they're not asses about it.

Customers shouldn't have to be mega polite, it's not an obligation. As shocking as that may seem, it's true.

-AC

Preaching to the wrong person here, I KNOW all that. I go out of my way to help people if I think they need it. And quite frankly it's easier for me when they order one thing at a time, otherwise I'm going to forget what they want after three items stick out tongue

Only time yet I've let it show that I've been having a less than great day was when I was sick and couldn't stop coughing, and one of my regulars who happened to have a cough drop with him gave it to me so I could last the rest of the day.

But I know how to do a good job and stuff, and being as out of everyone who works there, even though I've only been there a few months, I'm the one who consistently gets the most tips and people will wait in a longer line to get me to serve them, I think I'm doing the right things wink stick out tongue

Mando
Is it just me, or are we having arguments about people who have arguments?

DarkC
Originally posted by Mando
Is it just me, or are we having arguments about people who have arguments?
It's just you! eek!

WindDancer
I've notice that most busiest coffee houses are inside the malls. I can't imagine how busy is must be during the holiday rush. All that pressure from customers. Yikes!

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.