M. Night Shyamalan's - 'The Lady In the Water'

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Backspace
M. Night Shyamalan's latest movie.

http://ladyinthewatermovie.warnerbros.com/
Sounds interesting.

Susan-Storm
It sounds Weird

Mando
I saw the preview today, looks very interesting.

Shwartz
indeed a movie that I shall check out.

stunna1773
title sounds dumb

Backspace
Teaser Trailer
http://www.apple.com/trailers/wb/ladyinthewater/

Solo
I'll see it, sounds cool.

Prince Nauj
I saw the teaser the other day looks very good. I cant wait

Mando
M. Knight never lets me down, therefore this movie be on my anticipated list.

Solo
Originally posted by Mando
thumb up

ragesRemorse

I felt the same way untill i sat through the village.

Ya Krunk'd Floo
M. Night Shyamalan has just released the first trailer for his new movie, 'The Lady In The Water'...

The premise is something about a mermaid/something in the swimming pool that Paul Giamatti looks after. No joke.

Could this be a return to the previous form present in 'The Sixth Sense' and 'Unbreakable', or another dud like 'Signs' and the laughably bad, 'The Village'?

Shyamalan makes great looking movies and he has some orginal ideas, albeit if his application of these ideas is incredibly derivative of Hitchcock...Anyway, I hope this is a return to form...

Check it out, man...

'The Lady In The Water' Trailer

Cinemaddiction
I've liked all his movies, and can't figure out for the life of me why people badmouth "Signs" and "The Village". Misrepresentatio in marketing was the kiss of death for "The Village". Nobody in the WORLD could have predicted the almost genius ending. "Signs" has great cinematography, Welles level framing and visual narrative, and always, Shyamalan's signature credibility. It was the "worst" of his 4 films, but it's still a favorite.

This one looks interesting to say the least, and while the trailer is very ambiguous, the plot outline I have read is literary genius and I know he can pull it off. He's throwing Bryce Dallas Howard a bone, and that only makes me more confident it'll be worth seeing.

BackFire
I loved Signs, thought it was his best film and had the best ending of all of his movies. I really liked his approach of abandoning the generic twist ending for a more reasonable, plot completion that had relevence to the story and simply connected the dots rather then pull the rug from under us.

The endings of The Village and Sixth Sense were both pretty silly and more about simply surprising the viewer then adding a relevent event to the films - "Bet you didn't see that coming eh!?" This is especially true with The Village, who's ending was, as Ebert said "One step in the narrative latter above 'it was all a dream'".

His new movie sounds very interesting, though possibly somewhat similar to Mermaid in the Manhole in basic theme. Haven't really heard enough about it to know for sure, but the plot of "a dude finds a sea nimph/mermaid and befriends it with eerie consequences" sounds very similar.

Mando
We have a thread for this in the Sci-fi forum, If anyone's intereste here.

But I'm a huge fan of M. night. He has yet to let me down with a single one of his films. I saw 'The village' with a few friends less movie going than I am. They were unaware of M. night's technique in a film, but I was very aware. They also thought it was one of those regular horror movies that you see just to get scared, But I knew, horror movie or not, this would be great. But they hated it just because it wasn't a cheap horror flick, and they ACTUALLY tried to make a movie interesting for once! So I walked out of the theater, my mind racing, and they walked out of the theater snarling and spitting at the film. They were disappointed to see that the monsters were not real and the story false advertised. It's as if the Twist didn't phase them.

"Apartment building superintendent Cleveland Heep (Giamatti) rescues what he thinks is a young woman from the pool he maintains. When he discovers that she is actually a character from a bedtime story who is trying to make the journey back to her home, he works with his tenants to protect his new friend from the creatures that are determined to keep her in our world." When I read the plot outline, I can't help but to wonder how in the world he is going to pull a twist like his other movies. But I have much faith in the man, and I believe he can pull it off.

One movie By M. Night that hasn't been mentioned in this thread is Unbreakable. That is probably my personal Favorite by M. Night. The ending to that movie the most chilling out of all his films IMO. And I think I walked out of the movie theater a better person.

Murray
The one thing I'm most excited about this film is the fact that Paul Giamatti is the lead, and did you hear the guy singing? That was Josh Groban, the greatest artist in the world!

Ya Krunk'd Floo
The problem with 'Signs' was that the aliens were incredibly bad. I think 'Scary Movie 3' parodied it perfectly with the aliens who can't comprehend door handles thing...(I'm not imagining this, am I?

'The Village' may have suffered from misleading advertising, but as Backfire said, the whole conceit was laughably immature.

'The Sixth Sense' was good, and 'Unbreakable' was excellent, so I just hope he can find his original footing again because he has the potential to make amazing movies.

I hope this new one doesn't stray anywhere near the 'It's all in his head' territory...The possibility is lurking, for sure.

Mando
Originally posted by Ya Krunk'd Floo
The problem with 'Signs' was that the aliens were incredibly bad. I think 'Scary Movie 3' parodied it perfectly with the aliens who can't comprehend door handles thing...(I'm not imagining this, am I?

The acting, ending, and the movies greatness overall comletley nullifies the way the aliens looked.

IMO

BackFire

'The Village' may have suffered from misleading advertising, but as Backfire said, the whole conceit was laughably immature.

'The Sixth Sense' was good, and 'Unbreakable' was excellent, so I just hope he can find his original footing again because he has the potential to make amazing movies.

I hope this new one doesn't stray anywhere near the 'It's all in his head' territory...The possibility is lurking, for sure.

Yeah, the aliens in Signs were silly and some logical holes in a few parts, but I thought the rest of the movie was so strong, with excellent storytelling and plot development that I didn't mind.

Ya Krunk'd Floo
The ending was like a bad episode of the X-Files. What it did have going for it was the opening premise, the early suspense and mystery, and some great cinematography.

I think M. Night Shyamalan is going to be great director, but his last 2 movies stank.

BackFire
Well, people shit themselves over the Sixth Sense ending, which was literally stolen from an episode of Are you afraid of the Dark.

The only thing it has in common with Xfiles was it's Alien antagonists. Which, as I admitted, was pretty poorly executed. The ending itself - The story coming full circle and connecting the dots of seemingly trivial events was done beautifully.

Mando
Originally posted by BackFire
Well, people shit themselves over the Sixth Sense ending, which was literally stolen from an episode of Are you afraid of the Dark.

I'm a drama student. And 'The sixth sense' was inspired by a play called "the hitchiker". Great Play, go see it/read it.

BackFire
M. Night said he got the idea for the ending from an episode of Are You Afraid of the Dark.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0167404/trivia Scroll down to the bottom.

Mando
To be honest I just read it before posted. I find it strange. Is it possible, that That episode whas based on the play I mentioned? and then Sixth sense was based on that episode? It's all confusing. I'd wrather talk to M. Night about it.

I'm just throwing this out here, but how would you put M. Nights workings in order?

I'd say.

1.Unbreakable
2.Sixth sense
3.Signs
4.The village

I'm not saying the village is bad, I'm just saying it's the least Excellent out of all of his other films.

BackFire
1. Signs 2. Unbreakable 3. Sixth Sense 4. The Village. I, unlike you, thought the village was pretty bad.

And I suppose it's possible that the episode was inspired by that play, I dunno. Wouldn't doubt it.

Mando

And I suppose it's possible that the episode was inspired by that play, I dunno. Wouldn't doubt it.

Have you read the play? It's great. Reccomended. I Loved the watching the play in action as well.

Unfortunatley, there are things books can do that Plays can't.

BackFire
No, I'm not big on plays, not my thing.

Mando
I'd love to see the Movie-short 'The hitchiker'. But it's damn hard to catch.

http://imdb.com/title/tt0430185/

Solo
"Are You Afraid of the Dark?" used to kick so much ass.

Silverstein
my friend told me a while ago. Shyamalan was going to re-film to ending of the Village so that the monsters would be real. Did he ever do that??its just what i heard

Mando
Originally posted by Silverstein
my friend told me a while ago. Shyamalan was going to re-film to ending of the Village so that the monsters would be real. Did he ever do that??its just what i heard

Your friend is a moron. How else would the conflict resolve if the monsters were real?

If that was at all true, I would immediatley lose my respect for M. Night. He shouldn't change his workings just because a few nobody's didn't like it.

Ya Krunk'd Floo
He shouldn't change his workings just because a few nobody's didn't like it.

I would major a small fortune that the majority of the people who saw it didn't like it. Which would mean you're the nobody who did like it.

BackFire
I woulda enjoyed it infinitely more if there were actually monsters in it.

Ya Krunk'd Floo
True that. Who's looking for a comment on post-9/11 America in a Shyamalan movie, when we could have watched freaky Red Riding-hood monsters with long claws!?!? Claws! Claws! Claws!

I'm guessing that the actual Lady In The Water is going to be a genetically-modified human-goldfish clone; because Night is so down with what's up with the world.

BackFire
Post 9/11 America? The real moral of the story is that retards are dangerous and will attack you in the woods when you're alone.

Mando
I would major a small fortune that the majority of the people who saw it didn't like it. Which would mean you're the nobody who did like it.

According to IMDB.com More people voted 7-10 than 1-6. But that's just for IMDB.

Ya Krunk'd Floo
As an American, are you saying that all your fellow citizens are retarded? Hmm, I'd go along with that. Save from Homer Simpson, of course...

Taken from www.empireonline.co.uk :

Plot

The super of an American apartment building rescues a young woman in the building's swimming pool. He learns that she is a character from a bedtime story, and is trying to get back to her world. There are nasty creatures trying to prevent her from doing this, and all the while the super discovers that he and the residents are all characters in the story.

Solo

The majority of people that went to see it were the seemingly "average" movie viewers, who went there, like anyone else, hoping for a horror film. Instead what they got was a romance. They were furious, right after that twist, they vowed not to like it, not because it was bad, but because it wasn't what they were expecting. It was falsely advertised. "Unfortunate" would be the word that describes the situation Shyamalan was put in.

Ya Krunk'd Floo
Well, I was quite aware that Shyamalan doesn't stick to a certain formula prescribed by Hollywood, but I still found the movie to be junk. I came out of the movie theatre laughing at how terrible the 'twist' was. I think Backfire mentioned earlier, it was similar to the "and then I woke up and it was all a dream" plot that most high-school kids use in creative writing class. I expected more.

BackFire
Yes, but to be fair it was originally Ebert who made that comparison, I referenced it because I thought he hit the nail square on the head.

Backspace
Heres a poster. sorry its kind of small.
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c89/something941/ladyinthewater_200512221236.jpg

Superfly4000
I think M. Night is so known as the director that people critique him more than they do his films.

Solo
My current theory is:
That the lady in the water is actually bad, and the creatures are good.

Just a thought.

Ya Krunk'd Floo
Originally posted by Solo
My current theory is:

Interesting, re. Bush's 'War On Terror'.

glenncerritos
I'm curious to see this; I've liked all of his movies. Plus Paul Giamatti is a great actor.

forumcrew
paul giamatti is a plus, m night at this point is almost a downside.

Ya Krunk'd Floo
Ooo, mommy! Here's the newest trailer...It's a creepy:

'The Lady In The Water' - Trailer 2

Morning_Glory
Originally posted by Solo
My current theory is:

Just a thought.

glad that theory is wrong stick out tongue

Morning_Glory
I saw this movie yesterday.. I thought it was beautiful... it wasnt scary or anything.. Im not sure it is meant to be erm... its just like what the ads for it are saying its a "bed time story"...

I loved how there was were a ton of different characters and somehow they all connect and have a purpose...

I think this is the first movie (of his) where M. Night has a big acting role... so not bad

H. S. 6
I didn't like it. At all. I mean, I wasn't sure if I was watching a comedy or a thriller half the time. erm

I think it would have been better if we'd seen one of Night's signature "twists." Granted, The Village's twist was terrible, but I was sure something unexpected was going to happen that would grab my attention during the film. Obviously, I was disappointed. No big plot turns here.

And the stupid, pointless, strange things that happened... I mean, c'mon: the kid deciphered entire freakin paragraphs from boxes of cereal, and did so with an attitude that suggested he did this sort of thing every day. The whole movie was just... weird, in the most frustrating and annoying way.

M. Night messed this one up. (Although I have to say, Giamatti and Howard did a good job.)

Mr Parker
this is one movie I will miss.every movie I have seen him make has been horrible.

Silverstein
Originally posted by Mr Parker
this is one movie I will miss.every movie I have seen him make has been horrible.

i found Sixth Sense alright.

and Signs was pretty funny.

Dusty
I love all of his movies. Unbreakable is my favorite.

BackFire
Everyone I saw this movie with really disliked it. Though, I liked it. Thought it was original, which is a huge plus since no movies are original anymore.

Grimm22
Originally posted by Dusty

Ahem, the village roll eyes (sarcastic)

Grimm22
Interesting, re. Bush's 'War On Terror'.

You stink bash

usaflag

office jesus
It's going to be a shit movie just because of the TV spots. Wtf is with the child whispering? I can do without that, thanks. Anything he did after Signs is just...uh...what?

office jesus
I love all of his movies. Unbreakable is my favorite.

Yeah. Unbreakable is one of the few good movies he did.

Mr Parker
i found Sixth Sense alright.

and Signs was pretty funny.

Signs,Unbreakable,and The Village.They ALL made me fall asleep.They were so boring.seriously.I think he's an even worse direcotr than Tim Burton which I did not think was possible.Burton has a few movies out that I like though like Edward scissorhands where whats his name,I have never seen a flick of his I liked.

office jesus
Originally posted by Mr Parker
Signs,Unbreakable,and The Village.They ALL made me fall asleep.They were so boring.seriously.I think he's an even worse direcotr than Tim Burton which I did not think was possible.Burton has a few movies out that I like though like Edward scissorhands where whats his name,I have never seen a flick of his I liked.

THANK YOU. For years I've been saying Burton's work is shit. No one believes me. Lmfao.

Dusty
Originally posted by Grimm22
Ahem, the village roll eyes (sarcastic)

No. That didn't even let me down. That movie is SO underrated. It gives a great movie experience and is an excellent suspense thriller.

People just ***** and moan about the ending.

Grimm22
No. That didn't even let me down. That movie is SO underrated. It gives a great movie experience and is an excellent suspense thriller.

I actually liked it the first time I saw it up until the ending

Then I watched it again and relized how cheesey it was

However, Signs was a great movie, although the ending was crap, but still a great movie

Grimm22
I havent seen it, but I read the plot for Lady in the Water on Wikipedia and all I can say is...wow

Shymalan has gone SO downhill

Prince Nauj
I saw this movie on friday and I loved it

H. S. 6

Um, maybe because the ending was really bad?

Solo
I thought the score, the cinematography and the atmosphere was just spot on in "The Village". Bryce Dallas Howard and Joaquin Phoenix gave great performances. I didn't mind the story as much as others did, thought it was great.

Dusty
I just got back from Lady in the water. The movie was a joke. I have no further comments. It was just terrible.

H. S. 6
I just got back from Lady in the water. The movie was a joke. I have no further comments. It was just terrible.

Couldn't have said it better myself. yes

Dusty
That monologue by the critic was THE dumbest moment in movie history. PERIOD.

They should have paid me to see that movie.

Altar[1stONE]
That monologue by the critic was THE dumbest moment in movie history. PERIOD.

They should have paid me to see that movie.

My god my dear friend you summed it all up pretty damn good.
I would rather eat my own testicles then see this movie again, watching this movie was like a near death experience.

Morning_Glory
Originally posted by H. S. 6
Um, maybe because the ending was really bad?

it wasnt suppose to be a surprise ending... I mean they told us all how it was going to end at the begining of the movie..

thought the movie was beautiful...

BackFire
I liked Lady in the Water. So much better than the pile of cliche that was The Village.

Myth
I was very pleasantly surprised. The "critics" didn't seem to like it mainly for 2 reasons:

#1 - It was unbelievable and far fetched
#2 - The critic was obviously a crack at real life critics for not liking The Village

To those critics, it was a fairy tail. It doesn't have to be "believable".
As for the critic in the movie, I agree with the message conveyed when he said, 'He has accepted that there is no more originality in movies.' .

Anyway, I enjoyed this movie right down the parts that have no problem poking fun at the sillyness of the film (although I myself even thought the monologue of the critic was a little much). It was very original and the acting was excellent. 8/10

Dusty
Originally posted by Myth
Anyway, I enjoyed this movie right down the parts that have no problem poking fun at the sillyness of the film (although I myself even thought the monologue of the critic was a little much). It was very original and the acting was excellent. 8/10

I thought most of the acting was a joke. Like near the end where the apartment veteran said, "SHUT UP!! And try.." I almost we myself laughing.

H. S. 6
The critic was terrible; Sorry, M. Night, but just because you're acknowledging all the things wrong with your movie doesn't forgive you for them.

And what the hell was up with the Philadelphia animal catcher/cop, or whoever he was supposed to be? His acting was horrific. He must have been the friend of a cousin, or something, to get in the movie. no

thefallen544
I havn't seen it yet (I'm not even sure if it's released here yet), but I saw the trailer when I was out the other day and it left me confused I'm sure thats the point but after leafing through reviews and the opinions seen here I'm not too excited about it. I'll end up going to see it but well, I'm not gonna wait on tenderhooks.

Myth
I thought most of the acting was a joke.

I guess I meant Paul Giamatti. He was simply amazing.

Dusty
Giamatti was the light.

BackFire
Also the fact that this actually had monsters in it, instead of a retarded guy was nice.

Grimm22

The movie actually justifies the article in Entertainment Weekly from a couple weeks back or whatnot where M. Night was crying because everybody hated his script big grin

H. S. 6
Also the fact that this actually had monsters in it, instead of a retarded guy was nice.

But when looking at the Village and Lady in the Water, I can confidently say I'd rather have neither.

Silverstein
Do you guys think Real Monsters in 'the village' would make the film better?? lol retarded guy in a costume

-in 'the village' there was definately an absence of the paranormal stuff, usually found in night's movies. ghosts, aliens, ...

Dusty
-in 'the village' there was definately an absence of the paranormal stuff, usually found in night's movies. ghosts, aliens, ...

I guess that statement would even further make the monster twist in the village more unexpected.

H. S. 6
Without a doubt.

zslick
fu(ken sprinklers man they kept on gettin me for those who havent seen it youll get what i mean

H. S. 6
Originally posted by zslick
fu(ken sprinklers man they kept on gettin me for those who havent seen it youll get what i mean

I never knew sprinkler systems were so freakin loud. roll eyes (sarcastic)

stick out tongue

Dusty
I know! When we were zooming into the wolf/dog thing they went off and scared the shit outta me.

Solo
Do you guys think would make the film better??
Wow, that doesn't need a spoiler tag now does it?

Dusty
Fixed. Thanks for pointing it out.

H. S. 6
Fixed. Thanks for pointing it out.

Fix the quote, too! stick out tongue

Dusty
I did.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.