Advanced alien species and compassion

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Great Vengeance
Hypothetical question, suppose in our explorations of space we encountered an advanced alien race. They would have the capacity to end all our problems, all our suffering, but do you think they would also have the compassion to do so? Keep in mind that there are many peoples in South America, Africa etc. that go on living a primitive way of life while we bask in the comfort of our superior technology. Discuss.

Atlantis001
I do not think they would have the the capacity to end all our problems, there are many "less physical" problems.

If those aliens are envolved in a emotional way, I think they could have enough compassion, unlikely humans that do not make a great effort to help less envolved species like other animals.

debbiejo
I think if there are aliens, they might assist but not make themselves known for obvious reasons......Maybe they would be more humble even, not wanting to be worshipped or elevated......or it could be a "Prime Directive thingie".. big grin

Mindship
Originally posted by Great Vengeance
Hypothetical question, suppose in our explorations of space we encountered an advanced alien race. They would have the capacity to end all our problems, all our suffering, but do you think they would also have the compassion to do so? Keep in mind that there are many peoples in South America, Africa etc. that go on living a primitive way of life while we bask in the comfort of our superior technology. Discuss.

IMO, depends what you mean by "advanced" and what problems. Would a technologically/scientifically advanced civilization be able to cure all our diseases? Probably. Would they be able to teach us greater compassion, toward ourselves, toward our environment? Not unless they themselves can demonstrate what that means. And even if they could, would it be right to do so? Don't some things have to be learned first hand? Recall things your parents tried to teach you, but we didn't--sometimes wouldn't--accept them until we got older and could see from a more mature perspective.

There is, of course, as you hint in your question, the possibility that an advanced alien species could be down-right hostile, an expanding race of warrior-conquerors, in which case our gooses are cooked. It is not necessarily true that any species which makes it to starflight must be benevolent. All starflight requires is sufficient material resources, acquired by any means, and as (eg) Hitler proved, aggression does just fine. The only reason he failed was because "Good Guys" got in the way. What if there are no Interstellar Good Guys...yikes!

blackhat
Anybode ever read any of David ike's alien conspiricy crap. Do a google search and you will laugh......I hope .....

yazltrams
well it dose depend on how they came to so advanced that they could solve our problems, i do not think that they would share all there information if we were able to even comprehend it, there smart, they know what we could and most likley would do if they gave us that, i think they would study us and see if we ever become peacefull for good, then they might and if we dont then they kill us, maby keep enough to sustian a population and we would then be zoo animals, nothing wrong with that, at least we would defnatly have purpose: entertainment

Spidervlad
No. You cannot end all the problems of human life, there is too much. Your sitting right now on your room, and you accidentally mistyped a word on the computer. Thats a problem. Your sitting right now, but your hair gets into your eyes a bit, thats a problem. Even, if it is possible, the aliens do cooperate and help us with out physical problems, what about mental problems? If we won't have any problems, we won't have feelings, we will loose our humanity.

soleran30
more importantly even if we were given the technology doesn't mean we would have the wisdom to use it properly.

Wesker

Yeah, I brought peace and domestication to the ants living outside of my great house today. And then I taught the humming birds how to conserve energy and showed great compassion to the cow that somehow ended up on my plate.

My thoughts is... No.

zod360

I think it depends on how similar we are to them.

Deano
Originally posted by blackhat
Anybode ever read any of David ike's alien conspiricy crap. Do a google search and you will laugh......I hope .....

he claims we might of been seeded by ET'S. lots of interesting info to look at.
perhaps you should read his book. i can send u loads

i suggest readin zacharia zitchin for more info on that.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.