Building a PC

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Hit_and_Miss
I am looking to build my own PC next year...(this will be my first build)
I hope to create a powerful piece of kit... sooo......

Can anyone give any hints or tips... Good sites to read.. or parts worth looking into... Go on the presumption that moneys no object and I want the best... and who makes the best parts

I'm looking for something like;

AMD 64 3/4000+ (possibly multi processors)
2Gigs of ram
200+ hard drive
a good graphics card...(I've always gone on the presumption the best one has the most onboard ram... In which case I think theres one with 512mb...)

I welcome any and all advice...

Koala MeatPie
Mother Board Go Pure Pentium, WAYYY less problems then Athlon, but with Athlon youc an put in more RAM.

Make sure you have AGP PC and PCI express slots for cards, EASPECIALLY PCI express if you want a graphics card thats 512 mb.

G.C. gow ith ATI, just do it, don't ask, ATI.

nVidia is more for games, but ATI is games AND video.

Processor Pentium 3.4 ghz.

Fr all of that make sure you have some 300 watts at elast for a power processor, and FANS.

Fire
I'm not a big fan on Pentium, but you have to see for yourself there

Koala is right about the PCI-express you need that slot (AGP is gonna become obsolete anyway) But buyin a decent motherboard will ensure that you have PCI-e

ATI is a good manufacturar of great video cards, I usually buy Saphire

Now I think 300 watts might be a bit low on the PSU, if you really have the attitude that money is no objection I'd go for the most Watt you can buy, better to have too much than too little. Also check how much cables it has running out from it, it's a ***** to notice you come up short.

Last piece of advice buy a decent soundcard, if you plan on doing some gaming that's always handy. Altho onboard sound on some Mother Boards is pretty decent aswell.

Hit_and_Miss

Fire
Motherboard: check your CPU socket, check your other sockets (better to have too many PCI slots than too few), check for PCI-Express -don't buy one with an AGP slot anymore-, check wether or not it has onboard sound (I have an ASUS and an MSI motherboard both offer decent 5.1 sound) check the number of USB ports (check to make sure it is USB 2.0) check for Firewire and LAN adapter.

Who makes good sound cards: pretty easy buy Creative (expensive but very good quality)

Speakers: again Creative (expensive but very good quality and the two work well together)

Hit_and_Miss
Mother board : http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/index.html?action=c2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=97308

Graphics card : http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/index.html?rb=13772956718&action=c2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=100523

Processor : http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/index.html?action=c2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=91326
OR
http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/index.html?rb=13773210493&action=c2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=92846

Are these any good?

Koala MeatPie
The Graphics card looks pretty amazing, BUT make sure that your Computer is a DDR.

Fire
the X1800XT is the latest ATI card, it's pretty good but pretty expensive however if you have the money it will give you great pleasure.

Motherboard looks ok, don't know the brand tho.

Out of the two processors I'd buy the first one, tho I'd have everything rechecked by someone other than me, cause the technical side like dual-core processors is a bit over my head.

Koala MeatPie
And, ounce again, be sure everything Is either DDR or.. Something else, btu make sur eit all matches, ro eles you will get BIG glitches.

Fire
Koala you mean his RAM?

Koala MeatPie
Yeeeees... RAM... whistle Has to match with the Motherboard and the processor.

Fire
K never seen anyone call that DDR before but yea the sockets must match, not that hard if you go to a decent store or website.

Hit_and_Miss
yer... I'm hoping to kick start my pet project at the start of feb... I'll prob by a new part each time a pay check comes in...

Any other nice little treats I can stick in there???

Fire
depends on what your needs/wishes are

Hit_and_Miss
something I can look at and just be dazzled....

I've been looking for one of those front screens that goes into the case that shows the temp and other stuff... But I can't seem to find one.. anyone know where they are???

Fire
no, but your comp winkel can prolly help you

JKozzy
www.newegg.com

Bought everything for my build there and no problems. Everything arrived earlier than scheduled and top quality products much cheaper.

Hit_and_Miss
I live in UK... I don't do dollars! thanks though Jkozzy

Anyone know any other sites?

Princess-Puppy~
Huh?

Hit_and_Miss
Originally posted by Princess-Puppy~
Huh?

Lol If ya don't know whats going on why post???

Koala MeatPie
DDR

All the sockets are the same, its jut the way it processes the information.

Same thign with the Graphics Card. Its like trying to run a Windows Program on a MAC.

smudge
try dell.co.uk quality parts but not that cheap

Hit_and_Miss

Ballister
My friend and his dad built a PC out of scratch when he was 11... He's like a super-genius.

Hit_and_Miss
ah its not that hard to do when you put your mind to it... but its just a case of checking that x will work with y...

eggmayo
Most leads are colour coded, and the PCI sockets aren't that hard.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.