Braveheart or Gladiator

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

lordofwar
I would choose Braveheart. I think Gladiator was good, but Braveheart was much better. It has more intense battle scenes and a great soundtrack. The movie is more emotional. The villain Longshanks was just awesome. Love the line, "Bring me Wallace. Alive if possible, dead... just good."

WindDancer
Braveheart for me.

=Mysta=-kILL
I vote braveheart!big grin

Solo
Gladiator, hands down, IMO.

Mando
Wow, Actually a question that is worth contemplating about.

I'm going to think for a second...

---

Gladiator and Braveheart are movies of 2 different times made, and times that are covered in the story.

Gladiator is truly an excellent movie. I think it is Superior in cinematography compared to braveheart. IMO. but that doesn't necessarily make it the better movie. Braveheart showed me something I've never seen before. Remember in the beggining, when Mel gibson took a clean slice of that guys leg? It looked so real, I couldn't get over it. The both have very sad endings. And both have amazing action scenes. Braveheart showed things that weren't thought possible in the world of cinema.

Overall, I cannot decide. Both give out great messages.

Tptmanno1
Agreed.
I enjoyed both immensly.
Both are very similar. Very good action movies with good fighting but with little historical value.
I say watch both!

Mando
You know what these 2 films have in common?

They both have Tommy Flanagan.

Tptmanno1
true.

SnakeEyes
These are two of my favorite films and overall, I'm gonna go with Gladiator, by a hair. They both excel in so many different ways that it's hard to pick the "better" movie, so I had to go with personal preference.

Solo
Quite frankly, I very much disliked Braveheart. I mean it wasn't horrible, but it's very overrated, IMHO.

Tptmanno1
It's been a while since I have seen Braveheart, and I only saw Gladiator once on TV. So I need to revisit them to make a good decision. Maybe when I get more money.

BackFire
Braveheart, Gladiator is a poor ripoff of older movies and is entirely generic in nature and presentation. Incredibly overrated.

Lord Shadow Z
Braveheart.

Gladiator seemed to just drag its feet at times with all the scenes outside of the action and became this lazy, directionless film.

T.M
Braveheart for me yes

i think there is a thread like this in Sci-Fi / Fantasy.

KillTheLight
I like them both but gladiator is easily one of my favourite movies

ladygrim
braveheart

Pandemoniac
Gladiator was impressive; good story, acting, drama and action...
But Braveheart has al that at a level higher. First time I saw it it just blew me over, it remains my numero uno movie of all times. I got more into the whole concept and emotions, the ending really made me cry.

random task
braveheart. a lot of good memorable scenes in braveheart. its hard watching a long movie from begining to end but braveheart manages that with ease. IMO, a good movie should be able to keep the viewer drawn into the story without having to maim, burn, killm, blow up, shoot, decapitate or f*ck somebody every 5 minutes.

in gladiator, the movie seemed like it went on too long without the fight scenes. the in betweens are dragging and some were boring. the most memorable scene for me was "on my signal, unleash hell" and the battle between phoenix and crowe.

Mando
This thread inspired me to rewatch Braveheart, and that led to making a sig.

Inspectah Deck
Gladiator

BobbyD
LordofWar, you just mentioned 2 of MY top 5 all time favorite movies.

I can't decide, really. They're both incredible....each in their own ways too.

lordofwar
Nice to hear that BobbyD

Bushwacker
Both great movies, but I have no problem choosing Braveheart as the better of the two. Great poll, tho.

Anakin2009
Gladiator for me.

KharmaDog
Braveheart was o.k., but it totally butchered scottish history (as all of gibson's historical movies seem to do), and that really takes it down quite a few notches in my estimation.

Gladiator never claimed to be more than it was. The cinematography was great, the acting was great and the characters were better developed than in Braveheart. My nod goes to Maximus.

Mando
I think Braveheart went somewhere war movies never went before. I mean, seeing a guy get a hammer to the face, and then watching the blood fly all over the place is just awesome IMO. And when the man gets his throat slit near the beginning was great.

KharmaDog
Originally posted by Mando
I think Braveheart went somewhere war movies never went before. I mean, seeing a guy get a hammer to the face, and then watching the blood fly all over the place is just awesome IMO. And when the man gets his throat slit near the beginning was great.

Yes, forget about acting, writing, cinematography, production, costumes, story , plot flow or anything else that makes a movie good. Seeing some guy get hit in the face with a hammer is what makes a great movie!

What a completely ridiculous thing to say.

fini
Braveheart to me was the overall better movie.

shaber
Would you tell Russel Crowe that? stick out tongue

amity75
Speaking as a Scotsman, Braveheart was total pish. Rob Roy with Liam Neeson was a far better film.

BobbyD
Roby Roy was a verrrry good movie, Amity. I wholeheartedly agree.

Mando
It's about time someone else recognized this great film, Known as Rob Roy!

Liam Neeson and Tim Roth.

Great casting jobs.

KharmaDog
Tim roth was one of the best movie villans ever in that movie.

Mando
Originally posted by KharmaDog
Tim roth was one of the best movie villans ever in that movie.

Definitely. He was so unmerciful, and cruel. He was everything I wanted in a badass villan.

BlackSunshine
Braveheart...no questions asked. I loved this movie from beiginning to end.

Gladiator wasn't terrible but it wasn't, how you say, "my cup of tea".

RZA
Both great movies but Gladiator is better. Rob Roy was good too, easily one of Tim Roth's best roles.

Capt_Fantastic
Originally posted by lordofwar
I would choose Braveheart. I think Gladiator was good, but Braveheart was much better. It has more intense battle scenes and a great soundtrack. The movie is more emotional. The villain Longshanks was just awesome. Love the line, "Bring me Wallace. Alive if possible, dead... just good."

Gladiator.

Imperial_Samura
Braveheart's ok, but I prefer Gladiator, for me it had better acting (Russel Crowe, at his best, is better in my mind then Mel Gibson, who I don't think was at his best in Braveheart), better direction, nicer scenery. Both movies had an element of violence, but I preferred Gladiator's depiction over Braveheart's. Story lines are interesting, but I was a bit let down by Braveheart's take on the whole history surrounding Wallace. That, and I couldn't help snorting over the idea of Wallace having it off with the Prince's wife. Why do we need to fit a romance narrative into every movie, even when there isn't one, and more importantly doesn't NEED to be one?

That, and I think Commodius as the villain was better then Longshanks, and the selection and quality of movie villains is a big deal to me. Yeah, Longshanks was a right bastard, but Commodius was a right mad Roman Emperor bastard, and for me that's really something (I'll admit, Rome is one of the more interesting periods of history for study in my view)

So while Braveheart's good and all, Gladiator's better where it counts.

lordofwar
They are both just as good as one another. Both have sad endings, excellint action sequences, stories and good acting. Gibson was just great as Wallace and his freedom speech was inspirational.

William Wallace: Aye, fight and you may die, run, and you'll live... at least a while. And dying in your beds, many years from now, would you be willin' to trade ALL the days, from this day to that, for one chance, just one chance, to come back here and tell our enemies that they may take away our lives, but they'll never take... OUR FREEDOM!

frost158
gladiator no doubt, though both the same they were very diffrent, the last scene in gladiator was great, fighting and killing the ceasar, plus if you read into the gladiator story the ceasar did go into battle with him. Though i think Braveheart had better action scenes and was more dramatic, gladiator just stood more to me, that last scene, sweet

( said he was crazy, he really did try to get rid of the senate and tried to change the name on Rome to his name)

Talking_Owl
Two great movies, but I'd give it to Gladiator, barely.

Jmanghan
Braveheart, easily.

riv6672

roughrider
Both has historical errors - you have to forgive these things sometimes in the name of narrative fiction - but Braveheart is one of the most historically inaccurate films ever made.

Gladiator has stuck with me a bit more.

riv6672

Todd1700
Gladiator for me. I like both but Gladiator holds up better IMHO.

Jmanghan
Originally posted by roughrider
Both has historical errors - you have to forgive these things sometimes in the name of narrative fiction - but Braveheart is one of the most historically inaccurate films ever made.

Gladiator has stuck with me a bit more. It's still a great movie.

Both died but the sad part about Wallace is that he didn't even win the war before said death, and things were looking pretty grim to begin with even before he got captured, whereas things were way more optimistic for Maximus, he achieved everything he wanted or needed to before his death. Also, IMHO, Wallace's death was WAY sadder.

roughrider
It's easier to re-watch Gladiator because Mel Gibson has become such a distasteful human being, ever since his violent, racist rants to his wife got released to the public ten years ago. The vast majority of the public has never been able to look at him the same way again.

And he's an ultraconservative nutbar who gets worse every year.

ares834
Romans > Scots
Gladiator > Braveheart

Putinbot1
Gladiator for me, although I love Braveheart too. Both are almost perfect genre movies with huge historical inaccuracies and it is literally by a whisker I put Gladiator ahead.

BruceSkywalker
been a hot minute since i've watched these two. gladiator but i liked both

BrolyBlack
Gladiator hands down

Lord Lucien
Originally posted by ares834
Romans > Scots
Gladiator > Braveheart Confirmed for racist toward Scots.

riv6672
Originally posted by roughrider
It's easier to re-watch Gladiator because Mel Gibson has become such a distasteful human being, ever since his violent, racist rants to his wife got released to the public ten years ago. The vast majority of the public has never been able to look at him the same way again.

And he's an ultraconservative nutbar who gets worse every year.
Fun actor, though! big grin

Patient_Leech
Good poll.

I love both films. Actually just re-watched Gladiator a couple of days ago. I went with Gladiator, because it didn't go quite as over-the-top with adjusting history and making the hero such a mythical figure. Of course Gladiator is embellished for sure, but Braveheart wasn't even a name given to William Wallace. So they completely twisted everything.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.