-=- Would you Go out With Someone You knew Has AIDS? -=-

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Koala MeatPie
Would You? Usually when you go out its to be with the person and eventually starta familly, and cincidering if you ever do it, your nifected (seeing as condoms don't protet from AIDS)

Would You?

I'd make it clear i'd only want to stay close friends, very close friends. Brother / Sister close.

Alpha Centauri
I suppose this all depends on how much you value sex in a relationship.

It'd take a pretty "strong" person to date someone they know may very well die young, no physical intimacy etc.

-AC

Darth Revan
Originally posted by Koala MeatPie
Would You? Usually when you go out its to be with the person and eventually starta familly, and cincidering if you ever do it, your nifected (seeing as condoms don't protet from AIDS)

Would You?

I'd make it clear i'd only want to stay close friends, very close friends. Brother / Sister close.

Wait... Who said condoms don't protect against HIV?

DiamondBullets
Hell naw! What would be tha point?

Darth Macabre
I voted no, but it depends. I mean I wouldnt want a serious relationship with her, because I wouldnt want to marry someone whose going to die )most probably) early in life.

But I'd have to say this point in time in my life, I wouldnt.

Storm
Yes.

Nevermind
1. Condoms protect you from AIDS.
2. Seeing as that is the case, probably yes (seeing as I'm not in that position) if I really thought that there was something between me and that person.
3. This type of situation can't be one judged by a yes or a no. There are a lot of other things to factor in here (e.g. a future).

Darth Jello
no, It's very hard dealing with losing loved ones

River Wild
If i like the person why not, going out with him doesnt mean we're going to end up together, who knows we can be good friends!

overlord
Going out? As in getting a drink with someone? Why not! smile

Fire
Yes

T.V.O.T.I.

Would You?

First of all no one is promised tomorrow.. no one. I would have thought my answer would be no, but there are too many variables to make a definitive answer. I would choose love over time any day of the week.

idowhatiamtold
nope, not me.... why chance a bloody nose in the middle of the night? I would be friends with someone though.

leonheartmm
hell yes, if its the girl i love, id even sleep with her n not care.

Gregory
Originally posted by Darth Revan
Wait... Who said condoms don't protect against HIV?

The Vatican says this (wrongly); I don't know where Koala MeatPie got it from.

Draco69
Straight men dating a woman with AIDS barring the potential loss of the said mate would have the ability to have sex with the HIV-infected person with an extremely low risk of contracting HIV. Woman to man HIV infection during sexual intercourse is lower than the odds of a person winning the lottery. Of course if they engage in OTHER activities than the odds would increase substantially.

Lesbians dating HIV-infected women would experience even LOWER odds of contracting HIV during sex.

Gay men dating HIV-infected men unfortunately have high odds of contracting HIV due to the nature of their sexual activity. If the non-infected man is a "top" and the infected man is a "bottom" than the odds go down considerably. Especially if they use a condom.

Shakyamunison
Sorry, but no.

ash007
well i really don't know how i would answer this questions so i will try my best.

I would go out with them due to modern medicine people who are HIV are expected to live a lot longer.

The main problem i wold have is having kids i would not want any of our children getting Aids i know thats not very likely. But there is still a chance it could happen.

FeceMan
If by 'go out' you mean 'date in hopes of beginning a serious relationship', then no. It's harsh, but I wouldn't want to subject myself to the horrible death that AIDS causes. Watching an individual wither away before my eyes, growing weaker and weaker with every passing day...

No, but thank you for offering.

ash007
Originally posted by FeceMan
If by 'go out' you mean 'date in hopes of beginning a serious relationship', then no. It's harsh, but I wouldn't want to subject myself to the horrible death that AIDS causes. Watching an individual wither away before my eyes, growing weaker and weaker with every passing day...

No, but thank you for offering.

Yes i understand what you are saying. But people with HIV are living much longer then would have done twenty on ten years ago. wink

Draco69
Yeah. The "withering away" thing isn't as common as it was back in the 80s. In the US that is. Africa, hell no.

They're basically people with many subscriptions in their medical cabinet and suffers from unpredictable sicknesses that can be fatal if not treated properly.

Anoushka
go out,yes,marry/shag,no.
i'd never want to get infected and neither will it be fair to inflict something as bad as AIDS on unborn children,which will happen if i do get infected.

kmcdude

Would You?

No ****ing way sick

KidRock

Would You?

No.

AdventChild
depends if i'm IN LOVE or not...

Zarathustra

See, me: If I take a girl out for drinks I'm not picking out baby names a week later. I don't see the immediate goal of socializing to be procreation. Call me crazy, but that's just my perspective. I'm young enough that I don't reasonably assume I'll be with anyone I start seeing now in five or six years. Thus worrying about starting a family with this hypothetical girl with AIDS doesn't really factor into the equation.
Anyway, while condoms aren't going to offer 100% protection from infection (nor from pregnancy, for that matter), they do tend to be relatively effective: not that I'm eager to take any manner of risk, but I'm trying to give an accurate assessment.

As has been stated, the "Wasting Away" death is pretty well minimized with proper medical treatment.
So yes, I'd give it a shot. That's not to say it won't become an obstacle, but cross the bridge when it comes to that.

Draco69
And female to male AIDS transaction is damn near impossible through conventional sexual intercourse.

xmarksthespot
Is the question posed in terms of a person who has actually manifested Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndrome (AIDS) or someone who has only contracted the Human Immunodeficiency Virus (HIV)?

Zarathustra
Originally posted by xmarksthespot
Is the question posed in terms of a person who has actually manifested Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndrome (AIDS) or someone who has only contracted the Human Immunodeficiency Virus (HIV)?
Question says "AIDS": I would take that to mean that it's not just HIV.

Capt_Fantastic
The question is kind of silly, in my opinion.

I feel lik eit needs to be a bit more complex than just: "Would you date someone with AIDS?" So, I'll address all the possible variations of the question.

Would I "go out", socially, with someone with AIDS/HIV: Yes, why not?

Would I sleep with a guy with AIDS?: No.

Do I feel sympathy for anyone infected with this disease?: Yes, totally.

Do I think I've given in to social stereotypes ascribed to a person living with AIDS?: Yes

Would I sleep with a guy with AIDS, even using a condom, and knowing full well the lack of risk involved in doing so?: No

xmarksthespot
Originally posted by Zarathustra
Question says "AIDS": I would take that to mean that it's not just HIV. Yes, but many people don't take into consideration the distinction between the two or don't even know there is one.

Probably "No" either way. Because 1) from the way the question is posed it seems to ask would I begin dating someone knowing that they have manifested AIDS and 2) to me dating entails sex. It's an unnecessary risk for me. Why start a relationship with someone of whom I have no prior emotional attachment to who has AIDS when I can just as easily date somebody without AIDS.

"Would you continue in a relationship with your partner if they contracted HIV?" would be a more interesting question.

Capt_Fantastic
Yes, but many people don't take into consideration the distinction between the two or don't even know there is one.

Probably "No" either way. Because from the way the question is posed it seems to ask would I begin dating someone knowing that they have manifested AIDS. It's an unnecessary risk for me. Why start a relationship with someone with AIDS when I can just as easily date somebody without AIDS.

"Would you continue in a relationship with your partner if they contracted HIV?" would be a more interesting question.

It is an interesting question. It's very "Philadelphia". In that movie, Tom Hanks got AIDS and he and Antonio Banderas were in a relationship. It is unclear to me if they were in a relationship WHEN Hanks charater contracted the disease.

But, beyond that, would I continue to date someone if they contracted AIDS? No. I wouldn't. But, not so much because I found out they had AIDS and I didn't...and more because they contracted it by cheating on me. It all depends on me. If I have the disease, then no...if I don't, then the circumstances effect the outcome.

In any case, I would do the same that anyone else would do...run as far and fast as I could, despite feeling it was the socially wrong thing to do.

xmarksthespot
"Would you continue a relationship with your partner if they contracted HIV through a blood transfusion?"

Draco69
What's the difference in HOW they got it? They have it nonetheless. I personally would be understandably hesitant to date a HIV-infected person. But I know what it's like to feel incapable of being loved, so I would give it a chance.

Capt_Fantastic
"Would you continue a relationship with your partner if they contracted HIV through a blood transfusion?"

No.

I hate to be "that kind of person" but I am. Perhaps in this instance, it makes me shallow. But, that's how I am...ask anyone who knows me.

xmarksthespot
Originally posted by Capt_Fantastic
No.

I hate to be "that kind of person" but I am. Perhaps in this instance, it makes me shallow. But, that's how I am...ask anyone who knows me. Likewise. Likewise. Likewise. It's nobody else's place to judge, if they feel the need to date someone whose HIV+ then that's their prerogative - this is mine.

Atlantis001
If I really liked the person, I think there will be no problem, but the relationship will have to be without sex.

The Rev
well it depends if I used a condom when having sex and if we start a family by adopting a child hen yes i would. I would rather adopt a kid cause if you have a child and the mother had HIV or AIDS than the kid has a great risk of getting HIV when it comes out of the womb covered in the moms blood. personally i could never have a child and put him/her through the pain of knowing you would die before you got throught high school.

Storm
Having a family while living with HIV is a real possibility. The risk of passing HIV to your baby can be decreased to as little as 2% if a woman takes HIV meds at appropriate times in her pregnancy, delivers her baby by C-section, and does not breast feed.
In preventing HIV transmission to an HIV negative woman, there is one option that is beginning to show promise: sperm washing.

tabby999
if i was in a relationship with someone i loved it wouldn't matter if they had aids, i'd just learn to live with the extra caution when sex is concerned

Inspectah Deck
Would You?

Hell no

debbiejo
Hiv can be cured...and has been by various vibrational therapies, but would I sleep with someone with aids......I can't say that I would... sad

xmarksthespot
Saying something vs Doing something...
Self-Honesty vs Self-Delusion...
shifty

Capt_Fantastic
Saying something vs Doing something...
Self-Honesty vs Self-Delusion...
shifty

This is the problem with political correctness. Which is why I prefer political consideration v. political correctness.

It's nice to say you would date someone with AIDS, because it's socially moral and acceptable. But, I think most people would act differently.

Self-honesty, as you refer to it, is how I live. I'll be socially unacceptable when talking about my beliefs and preferences, to preserve the honesty of my statement. I feel it is the most important aspect of my personality...I'm brutally honest about my feelings towards issues. That's why the people I get along with on this site are typically the same way.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.