Bob Hoskins To Play The Penguin

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

enyafreak
British actor Bob Hoskins will play the Penguin the Christopher Nolans followup to Batman Begins.

It is rumored the super villain will team up with the Joker (as yet uncast)

NoFate007
I'd much rather see Rupert Thorne than the Penguin again.

Mr Parker
hmmm,if this is really true,that would be awesome!!!! Happy Dance

Joker1237
I dont see how the Penguin and Joker would be a good team up.

I mean the Penguin is well, Sane and all,

And the Joker is well Nuts.

The Penguin called the Joker, To insane for his taste.

tpaquin
Let's see some documentation on this.

WindDancer
Here is the article but it doesn't mention any names for the roles.

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/news/articles/2437.asp

SpyCspider
i can see him doing it....he's short and stubby

As for them in a movie together, they've done so plenty of times in the comics so I don't see why not.

roughrider
Joker and Two-Face would be better; Joker having some hand in scarring Harvey Dent etc.

NoFate007
Joker shouldn't team up with anyone in my pov.

Doc Ock
Originally posted by Joker1237

You do know they teamed up in the comics right???

The Penguin being sane is up for debate with me.A guy who sqwaks and waddles like a Penguin,has a thing for bird related crimes,and a fetish for umbrella weapons,isn't exactly the most normal every day criminal you get.

And I think Penguin would be great in the sequal.He's an awesome Batman villain.Hoskins would be great.

Silverstein
Bob Hoskins is a good actor.

Darth Sidian
Before I saw that article I didn't lilke the diea of having The Penguin, but it looks like they've got a great back-story for him. It also sounds like they've got the joker under control.

I really want a very dark and frightning Joker, but I hope he still resembles something of a clown.

Nevermind
Well according to imdb.com all they have is Batman (Bale) and Alfred (Cain) for definite roles. So that detail maybe a bit sketchy. Bob looks physically like the penguin whether he'll be able to pull off the personality is the challenge. I wouldn't mind seeing the penguin again, but I don't see why they couldn't give Danny another shot at it. The Joker for me will always be Nicholson but he physically looks too old for the role. So a new face would be in order. The whole movie at this stage is far too hazy for any real decision or comment to be made. I think we should wait a while.

Doc Ock
IMDB are not reliable at all for movie info.

BAILY
So where is the proof about Hoskins?? I see none... oh and by the way...

Crispin Glover is the Joker.. yeah I have no proof either... so believe me if you want.... lol

NoFate007
There's less proof that Hoskins is playing the Penguin than there is Topher Grace as Venom...

Mainstream
Originally posted by Joker1237

yeah Joker and the little bird kingpin could even one another out.

NoFate007
You shouldn't even out The Joker though. He should be by himself, just a nutbag, opposite Batman in the spectrum. He needs a whole movie for himself with the possibility of someone extremely small of a character.

Mainstream
what about Joker as the main villian
Penguin or Black mask as the kingpin like villian and they hire someone to take on the Bat...firefly, Bane, Croc and the Joker takes advantage of the situation and can really cause some havok. I hope the Joker looks creepy and insane....no purple suit...it'd be too colorful for the Batman Begins universe lol

NoFate007
A deep, dark purple might be ok. The way I look at it, he has to have the permanent grin (doesn't need the red lips though), needs to have green hair, needs to have white chalk skin, and needs to be at least somewhat comical. Now, don't take it as I should laugh at him as I do Lloyd Christmas...I think he should be somewhat like TAS's version, except more adult, seeing as they had to maintain some sort of PG atmosphere for kids watching. If you take that mentality with a more adult theme, it would be great. You can't have The Joker just been an insane guy that kills people and doesn't at least remotely make you question yourself as you laugh about it. If The Joker becomes "dude goes in acid, gets messed up and kills people", he isn't as interesting - he'd just be another mindless character. He needs to have that comedic approach to it.

NoFate007
I think what they should do for the 2nd film is have a story wherein Rupert Thorn, Sal Maroni and another man (Grissom possibly, or they can make up a new guy, or maybe there's another man I don't know about or something, but he could be "The Red Hood"wink are having a feud over who should take over Gotham (including Falcone's men). Introduce Harvey Dent as the new D.A. and focus (instead of a Bruce-Girl love thing going on) on their friendship as the "sacrificial lamb" character.

Say that The Red Hood has a man on his team named Jack Napier (that name I was always fond of, it just seems perfect) who is a complete psycho. Under Rupert Thorne is a Russian arms dealer named Oswald Cobblepot aka The Penguin. To knock Maroni out of the race, Red Hood wants Napier to destroy Axis Chemicals, a major investment under Sal. Batman foils it, and Napier is tossed in the acid vat, thought to have been killed. He comes back and kills Red Hood, saying he always knew he could do a better job than him - essentially, he becomes the new Red Hood, but he calls himself The Joker. Now he has a mob full of men behind him, and he's the leader of a mob, versus Thorne/Cobblepot and Maroni. Joker is insane with this war though, and instead of just putting hits on Thorne/Maroni's men, he just starts wiping everybody out. First on his list is Batman. Insert some "mass destruction" plotline and at the end, Joker is killed in some way where he is laughing (or possibly making others laugh).

Mainstream
I love the Jokers laughing fish.

NoFate007
3rd film: Dent, with the help of Batman, has captured a lot of criminals in these mobs...Sal Maroni himself included. Under Sal Maroni is a man named Tony Zucco. Zucco becomes the head of Maroni's organization while Sal is absent, in court. We all know what happens in that courtroom - Maroni tosses acid on Dent's face, scarring him. Later on, Dent gets revenge and kills Maroni, as TWO-FACE. Zucco tries to assassinate Rupert Thorne at a circus event: what a coincidence, The Flying Graysons. While the Grayson family tries to stop him (since they don't know what's going on, they think Thorne is a normal guy), Zucco kills them all besides a 13 year old boy named Richard. Two-Face, now a murderer, sees how the only way to get anything done in this town is to kill people - The Batman has created a lot of controversy in the town. He makes a pact with Zucco, Thorne and Penguin to kill Batman and take over the town, reinvent it and so forth. Penguin, being an arms dealer, hooks up all his men with some awesome weapons, and calls an associate of his...an inventor of weaponry...Firefly. The combination of Two-Face, Firefly, Penguin, Thorne and Zucco take over the town and it is up to Batman, Gordon, and a firey little boy, Dick, to take it back.

Weaponry is what the mass destruction thing is on this one, some sort of weapon, idk what. Batman brings them down. Penguin is arrested, Thorne is arrested, Zucco is killed, Firefly is killed, and Two-Face is either killed or arrested - not sure which I'd prefer, but it is a very emotional part nonetheless. Dick vows to help Bruce, and Bruce agrees - in this town, he is going to need more allies as time goes by, and seeing as how Harvey is no longer a friend, he thinks he can benefit. Robin is born. The end.

Mainstream
Originally posted by NoFate007
3rd film: Dent, with the help of Batman, has captured a lot of criminals in these mobs...Sal Maroni himself included. Under Sal Maroni is a man named Tony Zucco. Zucco becomes the head of Maroni's organization while Sal is absent, in court. We all know what happens in that courtroom - Maroni tosses acid on Dent's face, scarring him. Later on, Dent gets revenge and kills Maroni, as TWO-FACE. Zucco tries to assassinate Rupert Thorne at a circus event: what a coincidence, The Flying Graysons. While the Grayson family tries to stop him (since they don't know what's going on, they think Thorne is a normal guy), Zucco kills them all besides a 13 year old boy named Richard. Two-Face, now a murderer, sees how the only way to get anything done in this town is to kill people - The Batman has created a lot of controversy in the town. He makes a pact with Zucco, Thorne and Penguin to kill Batman and take over the town, reinvent it and so forth. Penguin, being an arms dealer, hooks up all his men with some awesome weapons, and calls an associate of his...an inventor of weaponry...Firefly. The combination of Two-Face, Firefly, Penguin, Thorne and Zucco take over the town and it is up to Batman, Gordon, and a firey little boy, Dick, to take it back.

Weaponry is what the mass destruction thing is on this one, some sort of weapon, idk what. Batman brings them down. Penguin is arrested, Thorne is arrested, Zucco is killed, Firefly is killed, and Two-Face is either killed or arrested - not sure which I'd prefer, but it is a very emotional part nonetheless. Dick vows to help Bruce, and Bruce agrees - in this town, he is going to need more allies as time goes by, and seeing as how Harvey is no longer a friend, he thinks he can benefit. Robin is born. The end.

that was great....

Batman: what do you want to be called?
Dick: Robin.
Batman: Batman and Robin.

NoFate007
I think that part could be kind of funny, since its the end and its a hopeful situation.

Bruce: So what should we call you? Birdboy? Batkid?
Dick: How about something not so gay. I don't want to be strutting around in little green shorts or something.
(A robin flies by and sits on a branch near them. Bruce notices and looks at Dick, Dick looks back and smiles.)
Bruce: Robin?
Dick: That'll do...for now.

Silverstein
I think that part could be kind of funny, since its the end and its a hopeful situation.

Bruce: So what should we call you? Birdboy? Batkid?
Dick: How about something not so gay. I don't want to be strutting around in little green shorts or something.
(A robin flies by and sits on a branch near them. Bruce notices and looks at Dick, Dick looks back and smiles.)
Bruce: Robin?
Dick: That'll do...for now.

thats actually not that bad of an idea. I like the "that'll do for now" part: knowing that he'll one day become nightwing. one thing. what would Robins new costume look like?

NoFate007
Something like this maybe?

Doc Ock
Ugh no Robin in these movies PLEASE!!!!

roughrider
If Robin appears in the new films, his look will be changed to something realistic. No way Bruce goes out armoured head to toe, and lets Dick somersault around in a yellow slicker! laughing out loud I can see a helmet with goggles, instead of a mask...
Joker is the main villan, we need no one else. The other villans can double up for other films.

Mr Parker
Originally posted by Doc Ock
Ugh no Robin in these movies PLEASE!!!!

yes Robin needs to be in a sequel,if not the third then defenetely by the fourth.Yes to Robin,just no chris o'donnel as robin.If people would get the images of the horrible casting choice of that horrible actor o'donnel out of their minds as robin,they would see that he would good in a batman sequel if done right.With Nolan at the helm,I have faith he can pull it off right.He at least wont make the horrible casting choice of o'donnel as robin.anybody other than O'donnel as robin is all I ask.

NoFate007
Idk who would be a good Grayson though. That's one hell of a tough choice

Jade Chihuahua
No Robin, maybe Dick Grayson as a rookie cop, but I think that Robin would be a bad idea.....it would make the series less dark and less enjoyable.

Doc Ock
Originally posted by Mr Parker
yes Robin needs to be in a sequel

Why??

Please explain what possible benefit Robin would be to a sequal???

Why can't Batman just stay solo like the grim avenger he is.

NoFate007
You don't have to have Robin in it as in you have to have Alfred, but I'd like to see at least a small nod to him. After 3 films though if they did any more I say you gotta put him in there, cause Grayson is a huge part of the Batman saga.

Mr Parker
You don't have to have Robin in it as in you have to have Alfred, but I'd like to see at least a small nod to him. After 3 films though if they did any more I say you gotta put him in there, cause Grayson is a huge part of the Batman saga.

wow I think this is the first time me and you have ever agreed on anything. eek! Thats pretty much the same answer I have as well for you doc.He is a MAJOR part of the history of Batman.Unlike spiderfreddie at SHH ,Im not going to say he HAS to be in the NEXT sequel and anybody who disagrees is an idiot,but nofates answer is the reason why he has to be in a sequel at some point at least by the fourth film because to not include robin in a sequel is treason.I mean thats the same thing as not including gwen stacy in a spiderman sequel.thats treason and betraying the whole comicstrip. mad

roughrider
If we have to have Robin, the look of Red Robin from Kingdom Come should be considered - much better.

DeVi| D0do
There will be no Penguin. Nolan has said before he doesn't want to reuse that character. Enya, stop spreading false info.

Cascador
Robin would have been in Batman Returns...I really wonder how Burton would have handled it...better than Schumacher that's for sure...the idea to transform the design of his costume litteraly in an armour, was ridiculous...the problem with robin is also his mask...that works for comics, but not really for movies. the mask has to be bigger in my opinion...that wouldn't make it loyal to the comics I know, but it would be more realistic cause come on! you can recognize him in an instant, with such a mask, or every citizen of Gotham are idiots! Like I said, that works for a comic, but if Nolan wants to put in Robin and keep the realism, the design of Robin's outfit really has to change!

atharpina
I actually really do like NoFates ideas. Robin can't be like Chris O'Donnal though. He should actually be a kid, not too young, maybe 14 or 15 looking.

sexyking
Originally posted by atharpina
I actually really do like NoFates ideas. Robin can't be like Chris O'Donnal though. He should actually be a kid, not too young, maybe 14 or 15 looking.

Doesnt make sense to have batman rening around with a kid i mean come on wont batman think twice about placing a kid in danger, and besides who would robin fight if you want realism people ask your selves this how many 14 or 15 yr olds are runnig around beating up grown men with guns. lol yes i know there arnt many grown men doing the same thing like batman is but its still more realistic for a grown man to do all that stuff than a kid.

NoFate007
If I had control of it, I'd make Robin...if he doesn't fight...around 14. If he does fight, around 17. Seventeen year olds can certainly hold their weight in fights.

Cascador
yeah I agree...No kid for Robin! It would ruin the realism and would turn the movie in a child's film!

Knightfall93
I felt O'Donnell too old and more "Human Torch" than "Robin"!

Knightfall93
Seriously, he's just like Jonny in F4 but Torch SHOULD be like that, Dick should NOT!

atharpina
Originally posted by sexyking
Doesnt make sense to have batman rening around with a kid i mean come on wont batman think twice about placing a kid in danger, and besides who would robin fight if you want realism people ask your selves this how many 14 or 15 yr olds are runnig around beating up grown men with guns. lol yes i know there arnt many grown men doing the same thing like batman is but its still more realistic for a grown man to do all that stuff than a kid.

It's also unrealistic for a grown man call himself Robin and serve as a sidekick. And he wouldn't have to be like a fighting master immediatly, even Batman had to have his training. He could just know how to hold his own in regular fighting and then Batman could start training him his way. Just realize, even thought Nolan is taking this whole realistic thing seriously...sometimes fantasy and imagination are just what we need.

Cascador
I think if Robin would be in the movies...he sorta already had some training in martial arts just like Bruce...not in acrobatics like in batman forever! It would also be cool to see actually some of his training. and yeah make Robin about 17 not 14...Robin was too old in batman forever, but he's too young in the comics to be in the film.
And I wouldn't make him his sidekick yet when he gets introduced in the film...I would just show scenes of training. just like batman begins had. But Batman begins focused about bruce training in the beginning, Robins training has to be spread through the film, cause you can't focus on him cause Batman has to take care of the Villian. And Bruce has to be hard, cause Robin will be impatient to fight by his side, but he'll have to refuse. Patience and discipline is required...

Knightfall93
You do know that Batman trains Robin, not some crazy ninjas... right? And Robin was just an acrobat before he was trained by Bruce!

redcaped
A BIG FAKE...sorry embarrasment

Knightfall93
What's a BIG FAKE!?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.