New Discovery or Hoax?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

WindDancer
See for yourself:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20051206/wl_afp/indonesiaenvironment_051206105909

What do you guys think?

Personally, I think is real. Truth can be stranger than fiction.

whobdamandog
Interesting..and probably true. Believe it or not..there are still a ton of undiscovered animals out there. I saw a documentary with James Cameron and Bill Paxton not too long ago. It was centered around some sort of deep sea voyage. A ton of unidentifiable species of aquatic life were observed during their travels. I doubt man will ever completely be able to discover all the mysteries under the sun in his lifetime.

overlord
It's been in multiple newspapers I read today so it's probably not a hoax..

soleran30
it looks like a Fossa thats the largest predatory animal in madigascar they luvs to hunt lemurs!

WindDancer
I don't like the idea of setting traps to capture the creature. It might harm or kill him/her. But I guess research is necessary.

Maya Zurak
I think is real.
I saw it in the newspaper today.

soleran30
Check this out......looks surprisingly similar.

http://www.nwf.org/internationalwildlife/2000/fossa.html

wahoo.....

whobdamandog
You're probably right soleran..tails and lower hind legs look almost identical. Good investigative research. Creepy looking thing...

Trickster
It's ears look a lot bigger than the one in WD's link, though.

soleran30
Whats really interesting as well on those deep sea voyages when they go to catalog all the sea creatures from the DEEP DEEP blue thay don't survive the pressure change coming to the surface so they have to catalog everything down below.

Deano
biggest hoax of the 24th century. its a photoshoped wammel

soleran30
it fits the description of the Fossa from my linked page..........looks like someone played animal trasporter

Fire
no idea tbh, but I think it could be true

Eis
I think it'd be awsome if it were true... but I really doubt it is.

silver_tears
I think it's probably true, through evolution alone I'm sure animals are changing everyday and something that was once already known could be something completely different like 50 years from now. So it may have been a cat or something at one point, and now it's that.

ladygrim
it could well be ive seen this on the news earler

T.V.O.T.I.
Originally posted by WindDancer
See for yourself:

What do you guys think?

that photo looks dodgy if you ask me

eggmayo
There was a video of it on the BBC news. Looked like a cat with a foxes tail glued on to me.

Draco69
It's real. There are new species discovered all the time. Especially in the insect kingdom.

It's not unusual.

It looks cute though...

Evil Genius
Originally posted by Deano

No way - you should keep an open mind about things, I think it might be alien

bilb
Originally posted by whobdamandog
Interesting..and probably true. Believe it or not..there are still a ton of undiscovered animals out there. I saw a documentary with James Cameron and Bill Paxton not too long ago. It was centered around some sort of deep sea voyage. A ton of unidentifiable species of aquatic life were observed during their travels. I doubt man will ever completely be able to discover all the mysteries under the sun in his lifetime.

saw that.. it was amazing stuff..

personally i think there are LOADS of undiscovered species out there.. whether this is new one or not.. i dunno

maya.. i have that pic in your sig as my desktop eek!

amity75
Chupacabras!

JacopeX
Originally posted by amity75
Chupacabras!

Ok look man, we all know those wolves dont exsist. Dogs cant walk on two legs ever. Or could they?

Grim Reefer
Well it was thought that Chimpanzees couldnt walk on 2 legs, then back in the 60's they found that monkey that was thought to be a Monkey/Human hybrid but was really just a genetically ****ed up Monkey that looked like a Human. But as for the cat, fox thing, yea I think its real, there are hundreds of undicovered animals, its thought that we've only found 2% of sea life. and yes Chupacabras are real, they found one a while ago.

long pig
Why is it supposed to be so weird looking? It looks pretty normal.

Really cute, actually.

Like a beefy ferret.

Wonderer
I found a mutated Dinosaur in my backyard the other day.

Bicnarok
I dont care if it is or not, if they discover a monster or something then that would be interesting.

WindDancer
Originally posted by amity75
Chupacabras!

No one ever found or capture that little critter. That was one cool looking creature.

Dagons Blade
Originally posted by Wonderer
I found a mutated Dinosaur in my backyard the other day.

I have a friend who lives in Japan,and it happens to him all the time smile

Since this is my first post here in a while, I wanna say it's good to be back and I have been following this story for a while. That thing looks really cool! I want one...

Alpha Centauri
I swear that is just a fossa, as many people have said before.

Whilst I do believe there could be undiscovered animals on land, I don't believe it's anything comparable to the amount of monsterous creatures that could be, and probably are, roaming the depths of our oceans.

-AC

Dagons Blade
Originally posted by Alpha Centauri
I swear that is just a fossa, as many people have said before.

Whilst I do believe there could be undiscovered animals on land, I don't believe it's anything comparable to the amount of monsterous creatures that could be, and probably are, roaming the depths of our oceans.

-AC

You bring up a good point there Alpha Centauri-water is the basis for
all living things, and since man is still the new species on the block, Heaven only knows what's at the bottom of the ocean..anyone remember that squid they found a while back that actually had jointed legs? The thing looked like a huge recluse spider, totally freaky eek!

Who knows exactly how many life forms have evolved and how many have become new as a result of the ocean's relatively clandestine and uncharted depths. Comapred to the oceans, Man is still and always will be the new species on the block..

idowhatiamtold
It could be some undiscovered aminal, I guess, but it looks a little famailiar to me.... haha, I guess scientists would have recognized it, so yeah, I believe it.

Dagons Blade
Also, at the beginning of the 20th century, somewhere around 1905 or so,they caught a species of lungfish thought to have been extinct for millions of years. They caught it in a net in South Africa somewhere. The fish was called a Ceolocanth (sp?)

Look at the Duck Billed Platypus. THAT thing was probably created about 4 or 5 minutes before closing time...God said "just throw those parts together and let that smartass Darwin figure THIS one out" wink

Alpha Centauri
When you consider our planet is dominated by water, it's kind of hard to consider it our planet solely.

-AC

ash007
Originally posted by Maya Zurak
I think is real.
I saw it in the newspaper today.

big grin

Sorry Maya i am not trying to insult you in any way. But what you wrote made me laugh. Recently i have started to belive less in the media.

Dagons Blade
Originally posted by Alpha Centauri
When you consider our planet is dominated by water, it's kind of hard to consider it our planet solely.

-AC

Deep thought of the day, my friend. cheers

FeceMan
I want one for a pet.

Draco69
I don't know. That tail looks dangerous...

debbiejo
Originally posted by FeceMan
I want one for a pet. Me tooo..........I already have a turkey.....unusual is good.. cool

DanieLs_4_Ever
Originally posted by WindDancer
See for yourself:

What do you guys think?

Looks pretty neat to me. It makes me think about my thread in the Philosophy Forum about Things we havent discovered yet, and this may be one of them! We have a camera set up at our Farm that catches Wildlife and so some of the photos are quite odd looking, especially when the wind is blowing or when it's nighttime their eyes glow if they look at the camera and it flashes.

PVS
Originally posted by Deano

the ultimate irony laughing out loud

of all the crap you buy into, here we have something so common and believable (discovery of a new species) and all of the sudden you're not buying it. what motive would anyone have to make this up? really, why bother? wouldnt it be more ineteresting to build a hoax about the discovery of the loc ness monster or a sasquatch?

Grim Reefer
Yea, who would make up a story about an harmless cute looking animal the size of a house cat?

long pig
Originally posted by Grim Reefer
Yea, who would make up a story about an harmless cute looking animal the size of a house cat?
Kinda what I was thinking.

I bet you could make a killing off it's fur....

debbiejo
cry

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.