Can anyone offer some tech support? My computer keeps crashing...

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Ganner Rhysode
It's been running fine until today.

Then, my Dad decided our harddrive(s) was(were) getting to cluttered, and that we needed to make some space. He had started burning a bunch of his pictures to CD, and then once they were burned on, deleteting the hard copies. He then went around deleting other files and such.

Then, he defragged the C-Drive, and stopped before defragging the rest as he was going to let me on the computer. (We have drives D-J)

After that, my computer was fine, (I was browsing the Internet, on AIM, etc.) and then my computer locked up. I tried to restart it, and it just stopped two seconds into booting up, after it was done checking memory when it was "Checking IDE Drives..."
I restarted it again, same thing. And again, same thing. On the fourth time, it restarted, scan discked, and all that.

So I start playing Halo online with a friend, and about five ten minutes in, it crashes and I get a BSOD. I couldn't see what it was, as the sides of the screen it was supposed to be on were flipped. (Left half of text on the right side of screen, and vice versa)

So then I restarted it, and what do you know, it locked up at "Checking IDE Drives..." I restarted it again, same thing. And again, same thing. On the fourth time, it restarted, scan discked, and all that.

I'm on, all ready to go, and I re-open Halo... ... and it locks up while loading. So then I restarted it, and it locked up at "Checking IDE Drives..." I restarted it again, same thing. And again, same thing. On the fourth time, it restarted, scan discked, and all that.

This time, however, our Internet was out, and not coming back up. So my dad shut down the computer, fixed our Internet, booted the computer up, which went through scandisk (again), and then I logged on.

I was playing Halo again, and, it crashed again. This time I was able to read most of the BSOD.

A process or thread crucial to system operation has been unexpectedly exited or been terminated.

Disable or remove any newly installed hardware or software. Disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing. If you need to use safe mode to remove or disable software, restart something something and press F8.

(it automatically restarted before I could copy that part down)

TECHNICAL:
Stop followed by a series of X's and numbers.

Beginning dump of physical memory.

And then it restarted automatically. It began scandisck, and then locked up during scandisck.
I restarted again, and four tries later, it got to the "Microsoft Windows XP" screen and locked up, and then restarted automatically. It got caught at the "Scanning IDE Drivers" part again.
9 tries later, it succesfully restarted. I chose the option "Restart with last known good configuration (your most recent settings that worked)"

It locked up there.

Two times later, it got past the IDE screen again, and I seleceted "Star Windows Normally." It again locked up at the "Microsoft Windows XP" screen. It restarted automatically again, and again got held up at scanning the IDE drivers.

Fourteen (14) tries later, it succesfully booted. I then opted to restart in safe mode, and then it locked up.

I restarted three more times, and then it finally got past "Scanning IDE Drivers," and then locked up again.

I turned off the computer for about five minutes, and after scan disc I am now typing this up, although my computer is running very, very slowly.

Any help, please?

Snoopbert
YEah, buy windows 2000, format, and reinstall your OS smile

eggmayo
Do a system restore, and hope whatever your dad uninstalled wasnt that important.

Fire
I think egg is right, your dad might have deleted some pretty important files

Hit_and_Miss
If your lucky enough to get back on concider it your chance to burn off anything else you wana keep and then do a system restore...

If you did fix it you will prob find something else dies....

Its best just to start a fresh,..

yerssot
system restore to before your dad worked on it, if the problem remains he is off the hook

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.