Designer Baby

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Storm
Genetic testing of embryos (PGD) is not new. Many families have selected healthy embryos this way. But the technique can also be used to save an older sibling from a life-threatening disease.

Tissue-typing PGD is done to identify an embryo that is tissue-matched for a child suffering from a severe disease requiring bone marrow or cord blood stem cell transplantation and for whom no living donor exists. Where no living donor exists, intentionally creating a donor through tissue-typing PGD is among a short list of possible treatment options.

The question can be raised about whether such a baby is really wanted or merely created as a medical commodity to save an older sibling.
According to critics, the wrongness of tissue-typing PGD stems from the fact that it is a procedure undertaken simply for the benefit of another. The embryo is subjected to PGD not to ensure the birth of a healthy child, but in order to serve the need of a sibling for a tissue-matched donor. Conceiving a child in order to harvest bone marrow or cord blood stem cells is unethical when it treats the child solely as a means to the end of saving a sibling' s life.
Although the use of tissue-typing PGD cannot provide absolute certainty that parents will view their future child with the same love and respect as their existing child(ren), neither can it prove the opposite.
Because tissue-matched siblings serve as the best possible donors for any kind of tissue of organ transplant, the fear about future coercion or exploitation on one child for the benefit of another is expressed.

For some, it opens the door for the use of PGD to select for non-medical traits, including intelligence, appearance, and behaviour.

Would you conceive a child who will serve as a tissue donor for an older sibling in order to survive?

T.V.O.T.I.
Originally posted by Storm
Would you conceive a child who will serve as a tissue donor for an older sibling in order to survive?
No. To me this would be worse than an abortion. erm

Originally posted by Storm
Conceiving a child in order to harvest bone marrow or cord blood stem cells is unethical when it treats the child solely as a means to the end of saving a sibling' s life.

debbiejo
Well this is a hot topic.....I don't really like the designer baby thing, but it would be nice to take out the genes of some diseases though, but then where would you stop......Probably best to leave things alone.

soleran30
scary very scary next thing you know we will live in a world like Gattaca.......

Atlantis001

Fire
I think it's pretty easy to say you won't now, but in that situation saying No might be a whole other ballgame. So I can not give a final position

If people want a second or so child anywayz and they are in this situation I see no reason why they should not give nature a hand. When they don't want a second or so child it becomes a whole other ballgame again.

Storm

tabby999
i think that designing a baby so it wont have any big problems like disease and deformity isn't bad, quite a plus, its not like they're going to be born without a personality. HOWEVER i dont think its cool to design a baby to harvest from it. dosnt sit well with me at all

Snoopbert
Originally posted by tabby999
i think that designing a baby so it wont have any big problems like disease and deformity isn't bad, quite a plus, its not like they're going to be born without a personality. HOWEVER i dont think its cool to design a baby to harvest from it. dosnt sit well with me at all Same here.

debbiejo
Originally posted by soleran30
scary very scary next thing you know we will live in a world like Gattaca....... Hey, I just saw that movie last week....haha

That's real discrimination for sure...

River Wild
Its better to leave things as it is, its crazy and very scary move!

Cell Phones

Fire
dude what the hell si that cell phones link doing there?

idowhatiamtold
That is so bad... I cannot believe dooctors take an oath to do the best by the human race and they think this type of thing is at all ethical!!!!

ash007
well think about this some families have hereditary diseases. And hopefully something like finding the cause and getting rid of it would be a good idea.

Think about it will be able to make sure our babies dont have cancer or diebties.

But changing them so they have certain colour eyes that i do not condone.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.