Sith Lightning

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

DrDoom101
Does anyone know how much volts Sith Lightning possess? 100? 1000?

Dark Envy
Depends.

Captain REX
Depends on power, I suppose, or their expertise with the power.

Darth Jello
I've been meaning to start a thread about this so all just hijack this one.
Proposal on the effects of force lightning
ok, so i've been thinking about this for awhile and here's my theory. There are different intensities of force lightning that have different phsyiological effects and that require different degrees of proficiency to use.
1. low level intensity.
This is done with either one hand or a quick jolt from both hands. The physical effects are minimal and are usually limited to either a kinnetic impact which sends the victim flying or a prolonged force which not only picks up the opponent but also causes pain and minor burns on the skin. Can be absorbed by a lightsaber
examples-Dooku in AOTC, Palpatine's first burst against Yoda in ROTS, Palpatine's first burst against Luke in ROTJ.
2. Mid level intensity
Both hands are used for a continuous flow of lightning. The lightning mostly affects the nervous system, skin, and teeth, causing burns and convulsions, can also wear down enamel. Prolongued exposure leads to slow superheating of the skeleton (creating a glowing skeletal effect), unconsciousness, and eventually death. exposure at a close distance is more lethal, leading to the permanent bleaching of skin by burning of melanin, and the melting and deformation of the skin and bones of localized areas and the permanent destruction of tooth enamel. can be absorbed by a lightsaber.
examples-Bolts reflecting off of Mace's Saber at Palpatine in ROTS, Palpatine's prolonged burst at Luke before being picked up by Vader in ROTJ. Dooku's attack on Assajj in Clone Wars.
High level intensity
Lightning is shot with two hands. It immediatley causes the super heating of the skeleton, causing it to glow through skin and armor along with paralysis. Eventually the brain will start to boil inside the skull, the eyeballs burst, and the Victim dies. Prolongued use of this intensity can also cause a permanent yellow eye discoloration in the user (from the dark side energies), scorched fingenails, and a rapid osteoperosis of the fingers, creating the impression of long fingernails. Cannot be absorbed with a lightsaber, but if a Jedi is strong enough to hold onto his/her saber under the barrage, bolts of medium intensity will reflect back at the user.
Examples-Palpatine's attacks on Mace and Yoda in ROTS. Palpatine's attack on Vader in ROTJ.

I know this is simplified but it makes sense to me. And i don't necesarily think that force lightning is anything other than some mystical energy and not the force directing high energy electrons.

chilled monkey
Originally posted by Captain REX
Depends on power, I suppose, or their expertise with the power.

That sounds right.

Darth Jello: Very interesting

Darth Avis
true. Very well written, but you said palps attack on mace twice, once in mid intensity and the other in high intensity.

xyz jedi
Volts=Force*Dark Side

Shadow x 20
Originally posted by Darth Jello
I've been meaning to start a thread about this so all just hijack this one.
Proposal on the effects of force lightning
ok, so i've been thinking about this for awhile and here's my theory. There are different intensities of force lightning that have different phsyiological effects and that require different degrees of proficiency to use.
1. low level intensity.
This is done with either one hand or a quick jolt from both hands. The physical effects are minimal and are usually limited to either a kinnetic impact which sends the victim flying or a prolonged force which not only picks up the opponent but also causes pain and minor burns on the skin. Can be absorbed by a lightsaber
examples-Dooku in AOTC, Palpatine's first burst against Yoda in ROTS, Palpatine's first burst against Luke in ROTJ.
2. Mid level intensity
Both hands are used for a continuous flow of lightning. The lightning mostly affects the nervous system, skin, and teeth, causing burns and convulsions, can also wear down enamel. Prolongued exposure leads to slow superheating of the skeleton (creating a glowing skeletal effect), unconsciousness, and eventually death. exposure at a close distance is more lethal, leading to the permanent bleaching of skin by burning of melanin, and the melting and deformation of the skin and bones of localized areas and the permanent destruction of tooth enamel. can be absorbed by a lightsaber.
examples-Bolts reflecting off of Mace's Saber at Palpatine in ROTS, Palpatine's prolonged burst at Luke before being picked up by Vader in ROTJ. Dooku's attack on Assajj in Clone Wars.
High level intensity
Lightning is shot with two hands. It immediatley causes the super heating of the skeleton, causing it to glow through skin and armor along with paralysis. Eventually the brain will start to boil inside the skull, the eyeballs burst, and the Victim dies. Prolongued use of this intensity can also cause a permanent yellow eye discoloration in the user (from the dark side energies), scorched fingenails, and a rapid osteoperosis of the fingers, creating the impression of long fingernails. Cannot be absorbed with a lightsaber, but if a Jedi is strong enough to hold onto his/her saber under the barrage, bolts of medium intensity will reflect back at the user.
Examples-Palpatine's attacks on Mace and Yoda in ROTS. Palpatine's attack on Vader in ROTJ.

I know this is simplified but it makes sense to me. And i don't necesarily think that force lightning is anything other than some mystical energy and not the force directing high energy electrons.

That is good in all but the question was how much volts are in a force lighting attack? 10,000?

Darth Avis
They aren't volts. It is magic of the darkside.

Darth Jello
force lightning doesn't really behave like electricity.

Shadow x 20
Then why is it called Force Lighting?

Darth Avis
Because it looks like lightning!!!

DrDoom101
laughing How powerful is Palpatine's lightning to Mace when he blasted the guy out of the window? 10,000?

Captain REX
Originally posted by Darth Jello
force lightning doesn't really behave like electricity.

Yaaay, someone who makes sense. It behaves like electricity in the whole 'conducted by metal and water' bit though, hence Vader not doing it, but its not electricity, its a Dark Side trick.

Decay
i dont think its electricity at all. it doesnt behave like it and its result is fairly different. luke being able to talk while sidious was using it on him i think indicates its not standard electricity because if it was shouldnt his jaw be clenched and hed shake uncontrolably without being able to talk. same with mace, he shouldnt have been able to stand there and take it if it were electicity, he should have lost the ability to stand because his leg muscles would go into spasm. same with vader when he picks up the emperor and walks other to the edge to throw him off, all while being shocked. i could be completley wrong but i dont think this is how one behaves when taking a large amount of current.

Captain REX
Like I said, it has SOME characteristics of electricity, but for the most part, it's dark power.

Darth Jello
if you look at the reaction when dooku's deflected lightning hits the ceiling i think the real reason vader can't use it become clear. Inorganic matter converts whatever particles the lightning consists of into pure energy, released as heat.

Captain REX
I guess that makes sense. Though, Vader's armor would have been exploding when Palpatine was cooking him with the full intensity.

Darth Jello
hmm, then it might be an issue of density of the object compounded with the intensity of the lightning. the more dense an object, the less easy it is for the lightning to move through it, and so the more energy is released through heat. I'm guessing the cave ceilling was probably much more dense than vader's prosthetics.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.