Space Cadets - cruel and humilating joke?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

lil bitchiness
For you guys in the UK, unless you've been in the dungeon for the past month or so, you've heard of the new show called Space Cadets.

For you who havent, here is the link explaining what show is about http://www.channel4.com/entertainment/tv/microsites/S/spacecadets/about/index.html

Basically, the team of entertainers are gonna trick a group of people to make them believe they will be trained to go space in an Russian Star City near Moscow, when in fact they will never leave the UK soil, let alone go into space.

They will have an intense training and be made believe they are a part of real space mission.

Do you think this is rather cruel and humiliating, even for a practical joke?
These people have been selected purposefully as the people most likely to be tricked into believing into anything, and those people genuanly believe they will be trained and sent off into space, as the first members of public to do so.
Is this not going little too far in the name of entertainment?

I am struggling to comprehend how they even got the ethical aproval to do this.
How would you feel if you were humiliated, like those people are going to be after they find out they have been tricked, in front of a whole nation of people?

What are your thoughts?

T.M
of course it's cruel and humilating thats the point...

I haven't watched any of it because I don't really like reality TV.

The thing is with us Brits IMO we take very well to practical jokes, there have been loads of shows that have specifically prayed on members of the public for laughs. You've Been Framed springs to mind here, they made woman believe that a alien spaceship had landed in her garden.

I think that the British public will like this show and will watch it for however long it is on for. Personally I haven't been watching it.

mechmoggy
They'll have to give them a big bung at the end, just like those poor guys who appeared on "There's something about Miriam" (or whatever that show was called). A large cheque usually makes people feel better about being made to look a fool.

lil bitchiness
I guess everything has a price - even dignity.

Im sure they had to sign contract, but still. I dont understand where they got the ethical approval from?

Things which are done in the name of entertainment would never be allowed to be done in the name of research or science.

gamewarrior
I think their going too far even if it is for entertainment.

mechmoggy
I'll reserve judgement until I see the contestants.

Sometimes it's fun watching bad things happen to horrible people.

T.M
Originally posted by mechmoggy
They'll have to give them a big bung at the end, just like those poor guys who appeared on "There's something about Miriam" (or whatever that show was called). A large cheque usually makes people feel better about being made to look a fool.

ohh yeah big pay off for them most probably yes

Deano
they'll see the funny side eventually

Victor Von Doom
Anyone that willingly takes part in reality television deserves everything they get.

Echuu
Originally posted by lil bitchiness
For you guys in the UK, unless you've been in the dungeon for the past month or so, you've heard of the new show called Space Cadets.

For you who havent, here is the link explaining what show is about http://www.channel4.com/entertainment/tv/microsites/S/spacecadets/about/index.html

Basically, the team of entertainers are gonna trick a group of people to make them believe they will be trained to go space in an Russian Star City near Moscow, when in fact they will never leave the UK soil, let alone go into space.

They will have an intense training and be made believe they are a part of real space mission.

These people have been selected purposefully as the people most likely to be tricked into believing into anything, and those people genuanly believe they will be trained and sent off into space, as the first members of public to do so.

How would you feel if you were humiliated, like those people are going to be after they find out they have been tricked, in front of a whole nation of people?

What are your thoughts?

It is somewhat amusing but also very mean and I would never want to be on the receiving end of a show like that.

This is just more proof at how stupid reality tv is.

FeceMan

What are your thoughts?
Yeah, it's a real shitty thing to do.

But that's why it will sell. How soon until we get a show that's like Extreme Makeover without the surgery?

I can see it now, the 'ugly duckling' is put under anesthesia for a few minutes and wakes up with his or her face completely bandaged. A week later, he or she is allowed to look at his or her 'new' face...

And the audience cheers. (Wait, I meant 'jeers'.)

Victor Von Doom
They truly do deserve it. The only tragedy is that the redemptive irony of the programme will be lost on the makers, who will then go on to make a show where a women (young, attractive) has to date 3 men, two of whom are murderers. Will she choose correctly? We don't know!

It's hardly confidence tricks on elderly people. It's willing idiots who want to be on tv.

Deserve everything and more.

FeceMan
Originally posted by Victor Von Doom
They truly do deserve it. The only tragedy is that the redemptive irony of the programme will be lost on the makers, who will then go on to make a show where a women (young, attractive) has to date 3 men, two of whom are murderers. Will she choose correctly? We don't know!

It's hardly confidence tricks on elderly people. It's willing idiots who want to be on tv.

Deserve everything and more.
I don't think that these people should be considered "willing idiots" for wanting to go into space.

Victor Von Doom
Originally posted by FeceMan
I don't think that these people should be considered "willing idiots" for wanting to go into space.

It's not for wanting to go into space, it's for believing this will happen on a tv show.

Reality tv is the biggest tragedy of our age, and I have nothing but amazing contempt for it. Our generation is brainless enough.

Alpha Centauri
To add to that, these are probably people who just have some space fascination, not necessarily people who genuinely know the supposed in's and out's of what it takes to go into space.

Otherwise they probably would know, as Vic said, that it isn't happening on a TV show.

The only thing worse than reality TV are those who watch it and take it seriously.

-AC

Atlantis001

True. It seems illegal to me somehow.... can we legaly lie about what is being offered to you ?

Wow... sometimes I feel that I already know everything human stupidity, but that brings me to a higher degree of comprehension of the word "stupidity". It is almost like a spiritual experience.

Pandemoniac
Depends on the fact if the competitors are informed about camera's recording their moves or being left unaware.
Giving the hint that camera's are around should make the brighter ones go 'hmm' and have their doubts about the whole shebang in this age of reality-TV. And even the dumb-asses who take the cam's for granted should have a certain amount of awareness that there must be folks around more suitable for a space-mission, and go 'hmmm' eventually.
Guessing it's a candid thing then, my opinion is that is a very low and disrespectful way to gain viewers, this goes beyond faking someone's car getting stolen for a little laugh.
And mind, TV producers have tons of experience and many experts to help fooling even the best of us. Making people give their best and show their worst for the sake of money by holding some lure in front of them clarifies that people are just peons for them, moving them in whatever absurd situation and not giving a shit when one breaks down. And all that just for money, so these wise-asses can fill up their sports-cars for another year. Yuk!

Victor Von Doom
Originally posted by Atlantis001
True. It seems illegal to me somehow.... can we legaly lie about what is being offered to you ?

Wow... sometimes I feel that I already know everything human stupidity, but that brings me to a higher degree of comprehension of the word "stupidity". It is almost like a spiritual experience.

It's not illegal. If there was contractual weight behind the offer, maybe. Obviously there wasn't, because the contestants didn't give anything in return.

Pandemoniac
No matter, if I were to be caught in a show like that, going 200% on it and finding out it was a hoax after all; all the firemen in the world couldn't put out the fire I'd start on that building.

Victor Von Doom
Originally posted by Pandemoniac
Depends on the fact if the competitors are informed about camera's recording their moves or being left unaware.
Giving the hint that camera's are around should make the brighter ones go 'hmm' and have their doubts about the whole shebang in this age of reality-TV. And even the dumb-asses who take the cam's for granted should have a certain amount of awareness that there must be folks around more suitable for a space-mission, and go 'hmmm' eventually.
Guessing it's a candid thing then, my opinion is that is a very low and disrespectful way to gain viewers, this goes beyond faking someone's car getting stolen for a little laugh.
And mind, TV producers have tons of experience and many experts to help fooling even the best of us. Making people give their best and show their worst for the sake of money by holding some lure in front of them clarifies that people are just peons for them, moving them in whatever absurd situation and not giving a shit when one breaks down. And all that just for money, so these wise-asses can fill up their sports-cars for another year. Yuk!

I agree that the programme makers are, lacking a better term, c*nts (censorship is so reliable. You just don't know what's going on under your nose).

The problem is that the media merely tends to hold a mirror up to nature, as it were. They don't continually hawk products that are unwanted, just as surely as they will try to sell anything that is.

Atlantis001
Originally posted by Victor Von Doom
It's not illegal. If there was contractual weight behind the offer, maybe. Obviously there wasn't, because the contestants didn't give anything in return.

Just their souls ! dev Unfortunately, souls are not considered a valuable thing nowadays.. lol

Victor Von Doom
Originally posted by Atlantis001
Just their souls ! dev Unfortunately, souls are not considered a valuable thing nowadays.. lol

Sadly the law doesn't regard metaphysical concepts as having any concrete value.

Except love in the marriage contract...

Dagons Blade
It seems as if lying and cheating and deception are moral and human sins when politicians engage in the act, as our present political atmosphere has alluded to quite well...

But,
when the same people in Hollywood who bash the administration
and the ethics attached to it, home in on a bunch of enthusiasts with a particular fondness for their hobby and and lie to them by making them feel like they're being groomed for some major event in their lives, THEN it becomes entertainment.

And of the 2, I'd rather live with the political atmosphere we have at this moment than have to watch people being singled out for their hobbies and lied to at the last minute after weeks of being made to feel important and cared for. That's about as low as it can get.

jaden101
i'm intrigued by this programme but i work on a wednesday night and they put it up against the bbc's "Rome" which i watch...and i can only tape one...oh well

Dagons Blade
Originally posted by Dagons Blade
It seems as if lying and cheating and deception are moral and human sins when politicians engage in the act, as our present political atmosphere has alluded to quite well...

But,
when the same people in Hollywood who bash the administration
and the ethics attached to it, home in on a bunch of enthusiasts with a particular fondness for their hobby and and lie to them by making them feel like they're being groomed for some major event in their lives, THEN it becomes entertainment.

And of the 2, I'd rather live with the political atmosphere we have at this moment than have to watch people being singled out for their hobbies and lied to at the last minute after weeks of being made to feel important and cared for. That's about as low as it can get.

EDIT: It's even lower than that old joke our parents used to play on us when we were babies-you know the one..shining the flashlight on the floor and telling us to "catch the spot." wink

WindDancer
Much like TV talk shows in which people used to beat each other....reality TV will certainly fade away into history. The things people will do to be famous and win some money. Idiots! Get a job and pay your bills.

amity75
I normally hate reality TV but this has got me hooked. They all seem like good sports and I'm sure they'll see the funny side when it's all revealed to them. And if they don't then I think the cash prizes, not to mention the post series fame they'll receive will cheer them up.

Alpha Centauri
Oh come on, it's stupid pointless crap.

Don't watch it.

-AC

Lord Shadow Z
How can they all be so gullible in the first place? It cost the first tourist in space something like 70 billion dollars to get up there and they believe they're going up into space for free? How bloody silly can you be?

PVS
this crosses the line.

i remember 'joe shmo' (sp?) where the guy was on a fake reality show,
but however humiliating in the end, he still got to be famous, and still got his prizes. apart from being duped, he got what he came for.

here they are promising something and NOT delivering.
i mean, whats next? "you're mother's dead!" *1 month, a fake funeral and wake later* "JUST KIDDING!!! LOLZ!!!!"

really, how can they lower the bar any more?

BackFire
Sounds like just another stupid "reality" show. I'd never watch it.

Syren
I guess everything has a price - even dignity.

Im sure they had to sign contract, but still. I dont understand where they got the ethical approval from?

Things which are done in the name of entertainment would never be allowed to be done in the name of research or science.

Milla, maybe that's why they're done in the name of entertainment, and not research/science... you can't make a direct comparison between the reasons, the fact is that ethics and morals haven't really been applied because the entertainment value is great in this case.

Admittedly, it's grossly humiliating. But it's TV big grin

DOOM2099
I think reality tv should be banned worldwide. It is turning our citizens into retards. Seriously, I think my wife gets dumber with every episode of surreal life.

Guess what Eric Estrada did? He was all like, I'm ready for bed, and then he was like, that way is the pool.

?????? Who cares? I would rather watch Chips to be honest. The theme song totally rocked.

Ushgarak
Well, just so people know, they'ver just confirmed on the programme that:

a. They have full permisison from relatives and close friends of those involved

b. all the dupees get a big wedge of cash at the end

c. at the end, they really WILL be flown to Russia, will receive some genuine training and will then go on a high-altitude, zero-g flight.

So it's damn cruel, but they will play fair by the victims.

Alpha Centauri
And hopefully left there to float off in space.

-AC

Victor Von Doom
Originally posted by Ushgarak
Well, just so people know, they'ver just confirmed on the programme that:

a. They have full permisison from relatives and close friends of those involved

b. all the dupees get a big wedge of cash at the end

c. at the end, they really WILL be flown to Russia, will receive some genuine training and will then go on a high-altitude, zero-g flight.

So it's damn cruel, but they will play fair by the victims.

What the hell.

What's the French Connection UKing point then?

Ushgarak
To see how far they can push the fake scenario before they are rumbled- including a fake launch.

Cheap way to get laughs it might be, but I bet you it goes down as a successful psychology experiment.

mechmoggy
It's not that "cheap" Ush, that real space suit they used in last nights episode cost 20k!!

Did anyone else see the one where they had to describe what was on the picture card?..."Errr, I see the Fonz and Rambo giving a high-five".

I mean really. no

Hee hee.

Syren
I haven't watched it yet shock I have such a short attention span, I forgot about it big grin

Victor Von Doom
Originally posted by Ushgarak
To see how far they can push the fake scenario before they are rumbled- including a fake launch.

Cheap way to get laughs it might be, but I bet you it goes down as a successful psychology experiment.

No doubt.

eggmayo
Originally posted by Echuu
It is somewhat amusing but also very mean and I would never want to be on the receiving end of a show like that.

This is just more proof at how stupid reality tv is.

Ushgarak
I see there is a lot of speculation on the website about whether this is a hoax hoax, if you get what I mean,

Koala MeatPie
I havn't read through the entire thread, but How did they fake weightlessness?

Ushgarak
They didn't., they convinced the participants that they had simulated gravity.

Koala MeatPie

DOOM2099

Syren
But, they think they're not actually on the planet... so they don't count stick out tongue

Alpha Centauri
Best reality show would be like Big Brother, but at the end they all get thrown into a pit of scorpions.

-AC

Syren
laughing

Wow, I would totally watch that yes

Alpha Centauri
Yeah, would be a bit of a controversy-wave, with all the murder and such.

Worth it though.

-AC

Syren
Meh, it's a shame... just hold that thought though, I'm sure your dreams will come to fruition one day.

Alpha Centauri
We can only hope can't we?

-AC

amity75
It's weird, I watched every episode religiously (and I normally LOATHE reality shows) but I could walk past any one of the cadets in the street tomorrow and not recognise them.

Wonderer

What are your thoughts?

People create their own gullable personalities via karma. You are the type of person because you created your present condition through the choices you made...

K.Diddy

What are your thoughts?

laughing Sounds hilarious

Koala MeatPie
Anybody f*cking Dumb enough to fall for that should be Publicly humiliated.

Anybody who has an IQ bellow 120 should be shot.

And then again I am being generous.

It is better for The human race, the continuation of the race, that only smart people survive.

Dumb people are only a burdun on our society.

Here's An Example To help understand:

There would be no, or a drasticly low rate of Illnesses / Sickness in the world if medication was not Invented.

Only the strong Survive.

All idiots should be removed, As such The Human Race can advance drastically.

Alpha Centauri
Originally posted by Koala MeatPie
Anybody f*cking Dumb enough to fall for that should be Publicly humiliated.

Anybody who has an IQ bellow 120 should be shot.

And then again I am being generous.

It is better for The human race, the continuation of the race, that only smart people survive.

Dumb people are only a burdun on our society.

Here's An Example To help understand:

There would be no, or a drasticly low rate of Illnesses / Sickness in the world if medication was not Invented.

Only the strong Survive.

All idiots should be removed, As such The Human Race can advance drastically.

Random capitalisation and misspelling of the word "below". Something tells me you wouldn't be around long.

-AC

Hit_and_Miss

Alpha Centauri
Hardly an accolade: Being better than Big Brother.

-AC

mechmoggy
"Doesn't blow as much as Big Brother"

That's a far better description. wink

Hit_and_Miss
I always thought they should have a serial killer in the house... And every week the cameras and lights are turned of for an hour and the killer gets the chance to bump someone off.. Then the cameras and lights are turned on... The house mates get a week to find and vote the killer off or another is bumped off..... i
f there good they live! if not.... there dead...Xp

Victor Von Doom
Originally posted by mechmoggy
"Doesn't blow as much as Big Brother"

That's a far better description. wink

There's a word for objects or ideas that fall into this category: things.

meep-meep

What are your thoughts?

That is ethically immoral. I would guess that the participants will seek some sort case against the tv show in court. It would be suiting.

Victor Von Doom
Originally posted by meep-meep
That is ethically immoral. I would guess that the participants will seek some sort case against the tv show in court. It would be suiting.

There's no realistic case they could bring.

eleveninches
It is cruel and humiliating, but I mean, who exactly is foolish enough to fall for that. The people on it are so dumb to believe it all, as they didnt experience weightlessness, and there were hardly any 'reporters' at the press conference.

I had thought that ALL of the cadets were actually acotrs, and the 'biggest TV hoax ever' was actually to fool us members of the public (sort of a social experiment to see how far people would go and just exactly what we would tolerate)

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.