Jan,23 2006 Canadian Election

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

manny321
Well an election has started in Canada and i thought maybe some people or the Canadian members would be interested.

Well the polls have really turned against the conservatives.

New poll is at
Liberals: 40%
Conservatives: 26%
New Democratic party (very left wing): 17%
Bloc Quebequois: 11%

In Ontario where more then 1/3 of the seats are

Liberals: 48%
Conservative: 28%
NDP: 19%
WOH thats a huge lead there.

http://www.sfu.ca/~aheard/elections/polls.html

Well after the Conservative leader made so many promises on cutting Taxes and improving Canada yet he have fallen in the polls.
I think their leader is terrible and people don't support their ideas.

I see a Liberal victory. This will be called a pointless election that was not needed Mr Harper (conservative leader) because your were going to lose anyway.

Zarathustra
The popular vote can occassionally be very misleading in a first-past-the-post system. For example, the NDP probably got a similar percentage of the popular vote last election, but they won nowhere near 17, much less 19% of the seats in the House of Commons. Majority governments have been won on 40% of the popular vote.. so statistics don't necessarily mean very much. Besides, opinions can shift during the campaign: it's tough to say.

On a side note, I find it interesting that you felt the need to specify what "New Democratic Party" means, but not that "Bloc Quebecois" is a Quebec Seperatist Party. I think neither would be particularly clear to people outside of Canada.

Fire
seems like the liberals will win it, unless the conservatives pull a rabit out of their hat, difference might a bit smaller tho.

manny321
Well if the Conservatives win it won't be more then a few seats and that would lead to a even more unstable govt.
The polls are messed saying Libs are 6% ahead some say 8,10, 12%. However it appears the Liberals have a lead.

True but for the liberals if they are in the lead they are in the lead. However i see a conservative comeback and then they will make a major mistake (they have always) and lose and say the election was not fair.

I rather have the liberals win. The Conservatives want to cut taxes all over the place which is a good thing but promise to increase spending on certain things. How the hell does that work.

WrathfulDwarf
The Tide has turn...

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20060111/wl_nm/politics_dc

Bardock42
Are those real Liberals or american Liberals?

silver_tears
Yeap, I was gona say, the Tories are ahead now.

manny321
there liberals real liberals. Support public health care.

Damn it i don't mind conservatives but there leader is some western right nutjob.

~Da Moose~
Originally posted by manny321
Well an election has started in Canada and i thought maybe some people or the Canadian members would be interested.

Well the polls have really turned against the conservatives.

New poll is at
Liberals: 40%
Conservatives: 26%
New Democratic party (very left wing): 17%
Bloc Quebequois: 11%

In Ontario where more then 1/3 of the seats are

Liberals: 48%
Conservative: 28%
NDP: 19%
WOH thats a huge lead there.

http://www.sfu.ca/~aheard/elections/polls.html

Well after the Conservative leader made so many promises on cutting Taxes and improving Canada yet he have fallen in the polls.
I think their leader is terrible and people don't support their ideas.

I see a Liberal victory. This will be called a pointless election that was not needed Mr Harper (conservative leader) because your were going to lose anyway.

jawdrop

I looked at the London Free Press this morning and it had the Conservatives leading 43% to 38% unless I completely read it wrong.

I work for the Feds, and quite honestly, I'd like to see a change at the top, although, I don't know if I want "Squinty Harper" calling the shots. erm

EDIT: I didn't realize the original post was from December 8th...

WrathfulDwarf
If it will make you feel better moose.....I would vote for you as Prime Minister of Canada! eek!

But seriously....why would Canadians worry about Health Care? By popular opinion you guys have a better system.

~Da Moose~
Originally posted by WrathfulDwarf
If it will make you feel better moose.....I would vote for you as Prime Minister of Canada! eek!

But seriously....why would Canadians worry about Health Care? By popular opinion you guys have a better system.

HA! Lord thunderin Jaisus! ...the whole country would go to hell in the proverbial handbasket! eek!

The concern over privatization of health care. erm

Bardock42
Originally posted by WrathfulDwarf

Probably cause they like to keep it no expression

WrathfulDwarf
Originally posted by ~Da Moose~

The concern over privatization of health care. erm

I see...yeah you're right...that is something to worry about.

~Da Moose~
Originally posted by Bardock42
Probably cause they like to keep it no expression

That too.

I agree, our health care system has been consistently a top tier system...but the fear that we may not have it the same is a major concern.

Uberking Robert
Now that I think about it I'm kind of glad that the NDP will lose. I mean, if they're ultra left wing then they're not my type. Left wingers support things like feminism and political correctness.

manny321
I don't mind a cinservative minority but if there is a conservative majority We Canadians better get ready for change for the worse. Bush is happy now, seeing he will have another pet dog for him.

Trust me conservative party is okay but the leader harper and some of his people are really going to screw things up. Canadians espeically people in ontario will see the the Canadian alliance not the conervative party are in party. I think Liberals are corrput but Harper is going to screw us.

Capt_Fantastic
So, what are the big issues driving this election? Also, where does each party stand on those issues?

manny321
crime, corruption, taxes, health care.

Liberals want to keep public heath care and lower taxes and fight crime.

Conservatives want to end corruption, stop crime, lower taxes way to much and thier health care stance is unknown.

Bardock42
Originally posted by manny321
crime, corruption, taxes, health care.

Liberals want to keep public heath care and lower taxes and fight crime.

Conservatives want to end corruption, stop crime, lower taxes way to much and thier health care stance is unknown.

Oh I forgot that there'S also something to love aboot the American system...whatever you vote you will get Liberal Ideas with it.

Koala MeatPie
Lesser of Three Evils.

Liberal Thats For Sure.

No Left Wong Or Seperatists are running MY country.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.