Snow causes plane crash

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Lana
Okay, this literally JUST happened so the article doesn't have much information, I've been hunting all over for one to post (I heard this on our local news).

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/chi-051208midway,0,5112610.story?coll=chi-newsbreaking-hed

It's been snowing pretty heavily all day, and so far about 8 inches have collected at Midway Airport in Chicago (which is about 15 minutes from where I live, and less than five from where I used to live). A plane trying to land slid off the runway, crashed through the fence, and slid out into the road. So far there's little info except that the plane was a 737, there have been injuries reported from passengers (article says otherwise but I just heard it on the news less than 5 minutes ago), and they think there's a car trapped under the plane. They also have closed off all the major roads around Midway because of this.

BackFire
At least everyone didn't die, which is the norm with plane crashes.

Lana
Yeah, really....it's been snowing very heavily today, and even though they're trying to keep everything clear there's also ice on the pavement itself because it's been bitterly cold all week.

As far as I've heard none of the injuries are serious or anything, though I don't know about that car....

Draco69
It just slided off the runway. Nothing too serious as the reporters are saying....

Lana
I'd say a car trapped under a plane is fairly serious....

As of yet there's been no serious injuries reported, if that's what you mean.

Draco69
If it's Donald Trump's or Paris Hilton's car, than this is clearly a blessing in disguise...

Lana
laughing out loud

DrDoom101
Originally posted by Draco69
If it's Donald Trump's or Paris Hilton's car, than this is clearly a blessing in disguise... laughing laughing out loud laughing

stunna1773
i just saw it on the news

manny321
Not everyone dies when a plane crashes. An Air France airbus with almost 300 people crashed near our Airport outside Toronto when it over shot the runway. No one died. That was a miracle its ended so happily or would have been a disaster we would have been sad about for a long time up here in Toronto.

Lana
At least 11 injuries have been reported, and a boy in one of the cars trapped under the plane (there were two) has died.

erm

PVS
it seems that kid was the only fatality, which is tragic,
but just consider how many people survived.
this could have been so much worse

Lana
Yeah, so far the kid is the only fatality.

And considering that it happened during rush hour, in a snow storm, with the plane going out into an intersection of two busy streets....yeah, definitely could have been a LOT worse.

KharmaDog
Couldn't be much worse for that little kid though. And I hate to think what that poor family is now going through.

I was amazed how much news coverage thiswhole event got. Are people that starved for something sensational?

Lana
Well, a plane sliding out into a street isn't exactly something common place.

The four other people who were in the car with the boy are in the hospital, 2 of which are in serious condition.

It's so weird, though, because I used to live about 2 miles from that intersection and have driven though it more times than I can remember.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/10388519/

KharmaDog
Originally posted by Lana

But is it really worth something like 5 hours of live coverage on national news channels? I just get the feeling that the news organizations are looking for the sensational, and when they can't find it, they overexpose other events.

Lana
No, you're right. I mean, I'm not surprised at the amount of coverage it's getting in my area, since here is where it happened. But I'm kind of surprised at the amount it's getting everywhere else.

KharmaDog
If you live around Chicago. I can see it being huge news.

But why would the 24hr news networks see that plane as more news worthy than any other of the tragedies that have happened around the world in the last few days?

PVS
Originally posted by Lana

actually its more common than you think.

there were a couple of such incidents at teterborough airport in jersey in the past couple of weeks.
of coarse, the size of the jets and lack of casualties didnt add a sensational edge to the story, so it got tucked away on page six in the local papers.

surely there is an intended connection between terrorism, the recent airport shooting, and this event. the media seeks profit, and boy did they get it.

KharmaDog
Originally posted by PVS
surely there is an intended connection between terrorism, the recent airport shooting, and this event. the media seeks profit, and boy did they get it.

Kinda funny how it always comes in groupings eh? It's like, "Christmas is coming and people are forgetting that the terrorists are a comin'! Let's get them all freaked out again!"

Lana
Yep.

When in reality it was just because of 8 inches of snow and icy pavement.

botankus
Heard about this story today. Guess I missed the 5-hour news coverage.

eggmayo
I heard about this in England... it was on in a 40 second slot between coverage of the oil refinery explosion.

debbiejo
Yeah, It's kinda freaky flying in those conditions...I've had to do it...The delays from de-icing the plane make you worry when they keep doing it over and over again while your waiting inside to take off......Too bad for the one fatality....I think it was in 1987 when we had a crash at the Detroit Airport....Only one baby survived...Wasn't winter conditions though, the plane wing hit a hertz car rental, I think it was....Plane blew all over the place...

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.