People enjoying watching others fight. What do you think?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

KharmaDog
I briefly visited the OTF forum (I am going to claim temporary insanity, or boredom) and saw a thread about school fights. It quickly degenerated into people talking about how cool school fights were to watch and how cool it was to participate in such an activity.

Here are some of the more remarkable quotes:

Originally posted by ben_dover
Every teacher kept their students in class while hundred others were out and fighting. It was awesome!!!

Originally posted by DanieLs_4_Ever
The violence even started in Middle School when I witnessed a fat kid getting his head slammed into a concrete wall. It was great.

Originally posted by Grim Reefer
That must suck having your whole state basically destroyed and then having a to go to a school where they all want to **** you up. But that would have been cool to see.

Originally posted by BackFire
It's quite a silly elitist attitude that people who enjoy watching fights are in some manner not mature or something. Nothing wrong with enjoying lifes simple pleasures.

Originally posted by kmcdude
Sounds great! I love seeing fat kids get beat up

Originally posted by DeNiro
Thats ****ing BAD ASS I would have loved to watch that fight well actully if there was that many kids I think that I would of have to joined in for fun but then ran away quickly just so I wouldnt have gotten caughte by the cops

When I was in Highschool me and my mates used to punch people up and start fights for no reason at all

As I have said before, I enjoy watching combat sports such as boxing or mma events, I als used to box for a few years when I was younger. I also grew up in a fairly tough situation and fought often myself, I am not incredibly proud of it, but it happened. But I find it a little pathetic for people to enjoy watching others fight, attack, harass or injure peers in a streetfighting or public scenario.

I don't want this thread to be about fighting, or have it to become a forum for immature wankers to declare what tough guys they are.

I want to know if anyone else sees this as pathetic as I do? I am also interested to hear why people think other people enjoy watching others fight so much, or why others enjoy picking fights so much.

I am sure I will be flamed by some of the members whose quotes I posted, or by some members who think that they are bruce lee, but I am interested in what a few of the more rational members of this forum think of this phenomena.

PVS
depends on the fight.

if its a mutual one on one, and nobody gets hurt bad, then i'll watch.
not like i'd be all jacked up about it, but i wouldnt be like "oh thats so horrible" i think 3 times in my life i actually saw such a fight.

unfortunately most fights are not like that, and are usually one sided,
started by a coward who only picks that fight because he/she knows they will win for whatever reason. thats the reality. its in fights like this that people get hurt badly and possibly permanently injured or even killed.

so in an idalistic world i wouldnt mind seeing a fight, but in the real shitty world, where people end up with permanent injuries in an unprovoked fight, i would certainly rather not.

Victor Von Doom
I suppose it's a base attraction; I can't say I'm personally enamoured with the idea.

Unless it's girls.

debbiejo
I've never really seen a bad fight....

KharmaDog
Originally posted by PVS
not like i'd be all jacked up about it, but i wouldnt be like "oh thats so horrible" i think 3 times in my life i actually saw such a fight.

but what do you think of comments (or the people who make them) such as:

or

In bikinis while in jello or mud right?

JacopeX
I jus watch to see people kill each other ova somethin. Its not funny. Why do people laugh when two females fight?

Victor Von Doom
Originally posted by KharmaDog

In bikinis while in jello or mud right?

Any liquids really.

KharmaDog
Originally posted by JacopeX
I jus watch to see people kill each other ova somethin.

So you witnessed this a number of times? That's very gangsta of you? You may not fing it fummy, but you obviously find it entertaining. Why is that?

JacopeX
Its like watchin wrestlin. If you were to know the whole story behind the fight, it will be entertaining. I like seeing two people use as much sternght they can hurting the other. When i get in afight, it get braken up by people holdin us back

KharmaDog
Its like watchin wrestlin. If you were to know the whole story behind the fight, it will be entertaining.

Wrestling is fake, sorry to burst your bubble.

I like seeing two people use as much sternght they can hurting the other.

Is that because you are powerless in your own life, you find it homoerotic, or some other reason?

I like watching combat sports (once again boxing or mma) but I don't like watching someone getting seriously injured. That sounds like something an immature or problemed person would say.

When i get in afight, it get braken up by people holdin us back

Why do you feel the need to tell others that? Do you think we'd be inpressed by that?

JacopeX

Is that because you are powerless in your own life, you find it homoerotic, or some other reason?

I like watching combat sports (once again boxing or mma) but I don't like watching someone getting seriously injured. That sounds like something an immature or problemed person would say.

Why do you feel the need to tell others that? Do you think we'd be inpressed by that?
I know its fake holmes but its fun to watch and the grapples and injuries are really and what do you think they train and all that?

Yea, well wut eva, i like solvin it the talkative way but when someone hits me, it on!

Im not trying to impress no one aiight

Atlantis001

KharmaDog
I know its fake holmes but its fun to watch and the grapples and injuries are really and what do you think they train and all that?

It's 'homes' as in 'homeboy' or 'hommie'. But as you are a gansta you already know that.

JacopeX
ok

PVS
but what do you think of comments (or the people who make them) such as:

disgusting. a wish to see people hurt is absolutely disgusting.
but thats a given

GCG
....as long as they arent on the recieving end.

WindDancer

Many wrestlers have had career ending injuries. Wrestling is not fake.

KharmaDog
Originally posted by WindDancer
Many wrestlers have had career ending injuries. Wrestling is not fake.

The injuries are real. The fighting and stories are fake.

There is no way half of the people in the WWE could beat a man like Paul Wight if it were real.

But this is off topic.

Jedi Priestess
your first mistake was going into the OTF laughing out loud 90%of them have no sense of right or wrong

WindDancer
The injuries are real. The fighting and stories are fake.

There is no way half of the people in the WWE could beat a man like Paul Wight if it were real.

But this is off topic.

Of course the storylines are fake. The injuries are for real. And is not as off topic as you claim. Why do people enjoy watching WWE? People beat each other for entertainment. Just like boxing (which you mention earlier) people pay to see someone getting beat up. I quite frankly think is a mixture human savagery and that feeling of competition which drive people to witness these spectacles of violence.

PVS
Of course the storylines are fake. The injuries are for real. And is not as off topic as you claim. Why do people enjoy watching WWE? People beat each other for entertainment. Just like boxing (which you mention earlier) people pay to see someone getting beat up. I quite frankly think is a mixture human savagery and that feeling of competition which drive people to witness these spectacles of violence.

i dont know about you, but i dont watch it to see injuries or deaths.
thats the topic really, seeing other people in danger of becoming hurt.

sure wrestlers take a huge risk, but we watch with the hope that they put on a great show and walk away with no injuries. same for boxing. you want to see a good fight, but do you really want to see someone knocked unconcious/concussed/dead?

WindDancer
Originally posted by PVS
i dont know about you, but i dont watch it to see injuries or deaths.
thats the topic really, seeing other people in danger of becoming hurt.

sure wrestlers take a huge risk, but we watch with the hope that they put on a great show and walk away with no injuries. same for boxing. you want to see a good fight, but do you really want to see someone knocked unconcious/concussed/dead?

Is pretty obvious that kind of entertainment is not for everyone. Some people do find it entertaining and pay for it. Boxing is a sport just like football, basketball, hockey etc...and what is the main drive of all sports? competition and winning. No one wants to see a boxer getting kill in the ring. That's why they have doctors, trainers, judges, and a referee to moderate the fight.

JacopeX
Its like the roman times with the gladiators getting bashed ands killed like insects. Wrestling, the hits and injuries are real, but the story is fake.

PVS
Is pretty obvious that kind of entertainment is not for everyone. Some people do find it entertaining and pay for it. Boxing is a sport just like football, basketball, hockey etc...and what is the main drive of all sports? competition and winning. No one wants to see a boxer getting kill in the ring. That's why they have doctors, trainers, judges, and a referee to moderate the fight.

but thats the point. if dont want to see anyone get hurt, then you're pretty much arguing an off topic point, if i get the right impression that you just want to see someone win, rather than see someone brutalised. but thats not the attitude i see in many of the quotes posted by KD. its quite obvious that many people have a sadistic blood lust. thats the point: the desire to see someone get hurt.

PVS
"The violence even started in Middle School when I witnessed a fat kid getting his head slammed into a concrete wall. It was great."

"That must suck having your whole state basically destroyed and then having a to go to a school where they all want to **** you up. But that would have been cool to see."

"Sounds great! I love seeing fat kids get beat up"

"When I was in Highschool me and my mates used to punch people up and start fights for no reason at all"

these demonstrate a desire to witness assault, not competition.

KharmaDog
Its like the roman times with the gladiators getting bashed ands killed like insects. Wrestling, the hits and injuries are real, but the story is fake.

Actually most of the hits are fake. Brett Hart is considered to be one of the best wrestlers, by other wrestlers, because he could make all his move look real and painful but made it very safe for the other wrestler.

And the the gladiators were not bashed and killed like insects. Read a histroy book or two. It might help out with future comments, especially those pertaining to history.

Originally posted by PVS
these demonstrate a desire to witness assault, not competition.

That's exactly what it seems like.

I would also hardly compare the competition between to athletes like boxers versus that of two school yard punks or a bully and his victim.

One's a competition, the other's a street fight.

PVS
Actually most of the hits are fake. Brett Hart is considered to be one of the best wrestlers, by other wrestlers, because he could make all his move look real and painful but made it very safe for the other wrestler.

exactly

in his entire career he never injured another wrestler...ever.
thats part of why he is one of if not the most respected and loved wrestler of all time.

And the the gladiators were not bashed and killed like insects. Read a histroy book or two. It might help out with future comments, especially those pertaining to history.

well, he does bring up an interesting point, as the sun shines on a dogs ass every now and then. animals, prisoners, jews and christians were slaughtered and in unimaginable numbers. true though, that gladiators were not killed as frequently as many are taught. but the overall brutalities commited in the name of entertainment for the masses makes it clear that deep down we all have some sadist tendency. i like to think we are evolving from that mentallity...

JacopeX
No actually the kicks and puches are real but not so hard. The slams are real of course. Why do you think wrestlers need to train?

PVS
No actually the kicks and puches are real but not so hard. The slams are real of course. Why do you think wrestlers need to train?

they train to simulate fighting/wrestling and to land on the mat corectly, so they are not injured.
most of their training is simply stunt work. thats not the same as
training to defeat someone in a fight. apple/orange

KharmaDog
Originally posted by PVS
well, he does bring up an interesting point, as the sun shines on a dogs ass every now and then. animals, prisoners, jews and christians were slaughtered and in unimaginable numbers. true though, that gladiators were not killed as frequently as many are taught. but the overall brutalities commited in the name of entertainment for the masses makes it clear that deep down we all have some sadist tendency. i like to think we are evolving from that mentallity...

So what you are saying is that he made a point despite himself? If you look at many of the the events that occurred in the Colosseum(and similar venues across the empire) in addition to the gladiatorial fights (along with a few of those too) and compare them to how people today derive enjoyment from the victimization of the weak, than I agree with you.

But his statement was pretty flawed.

PVS
So what you are saying is that he made a point despite himself? If you look at many of the the events that occurred in the Colosseum(and similar venues across the empire) in addition to the gladiatorial fights (along with a few of those too) and compare them to how people today derive enjoyment from the victimization of the weak, than I agree with you.

But his statement was pretty flawed.

yeah, i know...but he tried laughing out loud

we'll call it a foul-tip

JacopeX
Originally posted by PVS
they train to simulate fighting/wrestling and to land on the mat corectly, so they are not injured.
most of their training is simply stunt work. thats not the same as
training to defeat someone in a fight. apple/orange

no actually they train on there own on wrestling someone else usin them as a warmupm, they work out, and they go over drills. Thats not fake. I think 80% of wrestling is real, the story is fake, thats it.

PVS
no actually they train on there own on wrestling someone else usin them as a warmupm, they work out, and they go over drills. Thats not fake. I think 80% of wrestling is real, the story is fake, thats it.

you didnt even read my post did you? of coarse you didn't.

so why quote and argue it?

KharmaDog

Paul wight is over 400 pounds and close to 7 feet tall. If he were to actually body slam or hit many of the other wrestlers, they would not get up.

It is a form of entertainment. A choreographed fight with a predetermined outcome. Get over it.

JacopeX
Acutally hes 500 pounds and not close to 7 feet, hes 7'2

Well the bigger they are, the harder they fall

KharmaDog
Acutally hes 500 pounds and not close to 7 feet, hes 7'2

Well the bigger they are, the harder they fall

What does this post prove? It actually further reenforces my arguement? And the phrase, "Well the bigger they are, the harder they fall" does not apply to a person who outweighs you by more than 200 pounds. The appropriate statement there is, "when a guy weighs over 400 pounds and is still pretty athletic as opposed to just fat, he's probably gonna kick your ass 10 outta 10 times"

As for the validity of wrestling"

Can we pleaase get back on topic now?

JacopeX
Yea plaese cuz he probably ment the story, not the fights

So umm, yea watchin a fight is jus like boxing to us in high school. Wrestlin events happen outside the school before school starts and people watch them betting money. Its like the movie tough times. thats how i feel like

KharmaDog
Yea plaese cuz he probably ment the story, not the fights

By "bouts" he meant fights. In fact, if you check your dictionary, you will see that that is exactly what "bout" means.

So umm, yea watchin a fight is jus like boxing to us in high school.

That is exactly my point. The two are very unlike in all but the fact that two people are hitting eachother. Do you even read the posts of others? Or do you just post all "willy-nilly" like?

JacopeX
Why are poeple so against violence?

KharmaDog
Why are poeple so against violence?

Once again, DO YOU EVEN KNOW WHAT THE TOPIC IS ABOUT?

JacopeX
yes i do know and thats what were talkin about or it has to do something about it.

KharmaDog
For the benifit of JacopeX and anyone else unsure of the topic of this thread I will repost my original comments:

I briefly visited the OTF forum (I am going to claim temporary insanity, or boredom) and saw a thread about school fights. It quickly degenerated into people talking about how cool school fights were to watch and how cool it was to participate in such an activity.

Here are some of the more remarkable quotes:

Originally posted by ben_dover
Every teacher kept their students in class while hundred others were out and fighting. It was awesome!!!

Originally posted by DanieLs_4_Ever
The violence even started in Middle School when I witnessed a fat kid getting his head slammed into a concrete wall. It was great.

Originally posted by Grim Reefer
That must suck having your whole state basically destroyed and then having a to go to a school where they all want to **** you up. But that would have been cool to see.

Originally posted by BackFire
It's quite a silly elitist attitude that people who enjoy watching fights are in some manner not mature or something. Nothing wrong with enjoying lifes simple pleasures.

Sounds great! I love seeing fat kids get beat up

Originally posted by DeNiro
Thats ****ing BAD ASS I would have loved to watch that fight well actully if there was that many kids I think that I would of have to joined in for fun but then ran away quickly just so I wouldnt have gotten caughte by the cops

When I was in Highschool me and my mates used to punch people up and start fights for no reason at all

As I have said before, I enjoy watching combat sports such as boxing or mma events, I als used to box for a few years when I was younger. I also grew up in a fairly tough situation and fought often myself, I am not incredibly proud of it, but it happened. But I find it a little pathetic for people to enjoy watching others fight, attack, harass or injure peers in a streetfighting or public scenario.

I don't want this thread to be about fighting, or have it to become a forum for immature wankers to declare what tough guys they are.

I want to know if anyone else sees this as pathetic as I do? I am also interested to hear why people think other people enjoy watching others fight so much, or why others enjoy picking fights so much.

I am sure I will be flamed by some of the members whose quotes I posted, or by some members who think that they are bruce lee, but I am interested in what a few of the more rational members of this forum think of this phenomena.

Lana
I find it rather sad that people take amusement from watching two people beat each other up for no reason. I have no problems with violence....but that's just kind of pathetic. I do not see what's so cool about watching a couple of people try to beat the shit out of each other over something that likely is very petty.

Draco69
It has to do with our primal instincts. Our ancestors (primarily alphas) would fight over dominance or territory.

Afro Cheese
I do think fights are entertaining.. I'm not quite sure why. It's just exciting most of the time.

Anoushka
^^^ yup that's true.

but seriously,i get uncomfortable when i come across a fight.not saying i'm being mature or elitist or whatever,i just get...uncomfortable.and run away as fast and as far as possible.not that i find it disgusting or anything..heh.

Ya Krunk'd Floo
The attraction is enjoying others suffer pain and/or embarrassment vicariously.

That and they need to grow the **** up.

Victor Von Doom
I know its fake holmes

I believe the appropriate reply is 'no shit, Sherlock.'

Originally posted by Lana
I have no problems with violence

None at all?

Lana
Originally posted by Victor Von Doom
I believe the appropriate reply is 'no shit, Sherlock.'

None at all?

Did you read the rest of my post stick out tongue

What I meant, and I suppose I should have clarified (and/or expected someone to say that), is that I don't have a problem with violence when it's obviously not real - ie in movies, games, etc.

Quiero Mota
Originally posted by PVS
depends on the fight.

What's wrong with that, homes? There's nothing like seeing a good scrap. Especially when some puto starts talking shit, and some other fool steps up to him knocks the vato out. Orale! Now that's entertainment!

Victor Von Doom
Originally posted by Lana
Did you read the rest of my post stick out tongue

What I meant, and I suppose I should have clarified (and/or expected someone to say that), is that I don't have a problem with violence when it's obviously not real - ie in movies, games, etc.

Ah. It all becomes clear.

BackFire
I think a good fist fight can be very very entertaining. It's fascinating for me to see two civilized human beings just throw everything they've learned about decensy and humanity to the wind and just give into their most animalistic aggression and just fight it out like a couple of wild creatures. It's exciting and intense. Give me a good street fight over a slow boxing match any day of the week.

That said, I don't condone fighting or violence, I don't think it's a good way to handle problems and I don't enjoy watching one sided fights where one guy just embarrases or seriously injures another person, or a group of people gang up and nearly kill someone. I just enjoy the good, 1 on 1, fair even sided fights where no one gets seriously injured.

Victor Von Doom
There's definitely a sense of the rubber-necker condition in both observer and participant.

Snoopbert
Originally posted by Snoopbert
laughing Deserved it? You said that violence happens everyday, and in a Middle School no less! Unless you're a liar. Either way, it's still violence. Deserving or not, he hasn't killed anyone, he hasn't raped anyone, etc etc... being an ass is comparable to thinking it's funny when another human being is harmed. You're pathetic.

Originally posted by Snoopbert
You don't understand English? What the f**k? No, you're one pathetic human being if you think some fat kid getting his head slammed into concrete is "great".

kmcdude
1. I think it is human nature to be entertained by a fight and feel bad for others that have not learnt to enjoy such a pleasure.

2.I have been seriously hurt myself in a lot of fights and understand how serious they can be...........but most of the time it was my fault for getting into a fight...

PVS

2.I have been seriously hurt myself in a lot of fights and understand how serious they can be...........but most of the time it was my fault for getting into a fight...

your point being...

kmcdude
Originally posted by PVS
your point being...

That if people are stupid enough or want to get in fights,we should not be ashamed of laughing at them get there ass kicked............specially if they are Emo laughing

PVS
ignoring the generic emo comment, what of unprovoked one sided fights?

Capt_Fantastic
Can I just ask a side question?

What the hell is an emo kid? I keep hearing all this talk about them, but aside from feathered bangs, what makes one emo?

Alpha Centauri
Nothing, at all. It's like asking "What makes one rock?" or "What makes one jazz?"

Idiots have taken it upon themselves to attach the name of a music genre to the dress sense of people who tend to listen to this genre.

Gothic lifestyle exists, and there are types of music that people who adhere to this lifestyle, listen to. There is no specific "Gothic" genre though. It's reversed with emo. Emo is a music genre, there is a dress sense that a lot of it's fans adhere to. This isn't called emo, but it's labelled as such by people who know no better.

I must have said that about 10 times on this forum.

EDIT: I wasn't trying to drag the thread off topic, merely answering a question.

-AC

kmcdude
Originally posted by PVS
ignoring the generic emo comment, what of unprovoked one sided fights?

big grin They are fun to watch too......Although I do feel a bit bad for the fella getting the crap punched out him for no reason,now that I'm a bit older....but yeah,still fun to watch.

Capt_Fantastic
Originally posted by Alpha Centauri
Nothing, at all. It's like asking "What makes one rock?" or "What makes one jazz?"

Idiots have taken it upon themselves to attach the name of a music genre to the dress sense of people who tend to listen to this genre.

Gothic lifestyle exists, and there are types of music that people who adhere to this lifestyle, listen to. There is no specific "Gothic" genre though. It's reversed with emo. Emo is a music genre, there is a dress sense that a lot of it's fans adhere to. This isn't called emo, but it's labelled as such by people who know no better.

I must have said that about 10 times on this forum.

EDIT: I wasn't trying to drag the thread off topic, merely answering a question.

-AC

Ah, cheers. Thanks

I know I'm 26, but I wouldn't have known what an emo kid was if I was 19.

But, what the hell does emo mean, other than music and dress. Most people seem to think they're all depressed...which I thought was "goth". Feel free to pm me, if you don't want to take this thread off topic any further.

Alpha Centauri
PM'd.

-AC

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.