Music/ Literature/ Television/ Other

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Victor Von Doom
With which artform or medium of communication do you have the strongest connection?

Or, which medium is most likely to affect you in a significant way?

Perhaps via a direct emotional impact, or through a more thoughtful interaction.

Alpha Centauri
Music for me.

It affects me on many levels. Emotional mainly, thoughtful also. Especially with nostalgia.

-AC

BackFire
Film for me.

No other medium stimulates my mind or emotions like a good film does.

Not far behind film is Video Games.

WindDancer
Mine are Comic Books and WH.

BobbyD
Interesting, Vic......hmmmmm

debbiejo
Originally posted by Alpha Centauri
Music for me.

It affects me on many levels. Emotional mainly, thoughtful also. Especially with nostalgia.

-AC

Me also, the strongest....

Victor Von Doom
Originally posted by WindDancer
Mine are Comic Books and WH.

WH?

Capt_Fantastic
Music and movies

Lana
Visual arts for me.

WindDancer
Originally posted by Victor Von Doom
WH?

Warhammer... is a hobby I recently got into.

Draco69
Books.

And RPG video games...which are basically interactive books.

Victor Von Doom

Oh right. Wasn't familiar with the abbreviation.

Anyone willing to elaborate on their reasoning?

Shakyamunison
Music, but of course I'm a musician.

Lana

Well, as most people who know me know, I love art, I love to make art, and I love to look at art. I feel that it's how I'm best at expressing how I'm feeling or what I'm thinking out. I also like to experiment around and try out new techniques just to see what I can do, and I've nearly always got SOMETHING in the works, as well as a bunch of new ideas in my head.....in fact, at the moment I'm having a b!tch of a time trying to paint something in Photoshop. It's not really wanting to cooperate too well.

But yeah. Visual arts is my thing.

debbiejo
Music always stimulates memories and feelings and to me the whole being of who I am........Sometimes, I can't listen to certain CD's because it brings back sad memories.....Music is very powerful as studies have shown with patients with Alzheimer's ....etc....

Alpha Centauri
I just really love, and have amazing respect for, the feeling that music gives. You could be in the best mood and listening to a song can just bring this sadness out, or to contrast, make you feel great when you feel shit.

As well as being able to bring forth many other emotions such as excitement, sometimes fear, nostalgia.

There have also been times where music has helped me through a lot of things. Not just in that cliche way, but genuinely helped. I believe life is all about emotion and the variations/experiences of, so without music I believe life would be quite shit.

It's almost like a spiritual connection I guess.

-AC

Inspectah Deck

What is that?

Alpha Centauri
It's an activity someone partakes in on a regular basis out of enjoyment.

-AC

debbiejo
I just really love, and have amazing respect for, the feeling that music gives. You could be in the best mood and listening to a song can just bring this sadness out, or to contrast, make you feel great when you feel shit.

As well as being able to bring forth many other emotions such as excitement, sometimes fear, nostalgia.

There have also been times where music has helped me through a lot of things. Not just in that cliche way, but genuinely helped. I believe life is all about emotion and the variations/experiences of, so without music I believe life would be quite shit.

-AC Music IS more then just some physical thing...It is more Spiritual as some experiments have shown in a book I've read....It's a connection too our essence...Our core.....Yes!

http://www.detoxifynow.com/water_images.html

http://enews3.com/water/

Lana

-AC

I feel the same way about music, but visual art just tops it for me.

Snoopbert
Media? Games. ESPECIALLY for Nostalgia. Note my signature... that game actually brought my dad and me closer together in my youth.

tabby999
Originally posted by Inspectah Deck
What is that?

like dungeons and dragons on a big scale, good fun, i used to play.
for me its music, it makes me feel so good, you can be having the worst day, but if i sit down and listen to the right song i can change my mood entirely. its the same the other way. i totally agree with AC.

movies come in second, its the same way, Bruce Willis in Sin City broke my heart at the end. they can make me feel a dozen different ways at once

Alpha Centauri
Originally posted by Lana
I feel the same way about music, but visual art just tops it for me.

Wasn't askin' you was I?! SHATAHP THEN! wink

-AC

Shakyamunison

-AC

Be nice please... this is an open forum.

starwarsrules14
Literature for me, books such as Jane Eyre or Pride and Prejudice which have a lot of meaning. Books that make you read between the lines wink

Lana

-AC

Go away stick out tongue

Originally posted by Shakyamunison

He's joking with me stick out tongue

Inspectah Deck
It's an activity someone partakes in on a regular basis out of enjoyment.

-AC

Like D&D?

Victor Von Doom
Originally posted by Shakyamunison

To save further diversions- he was being 'nice', in a chicken-in-a-basket humour type way.

Let us return to topic.

WindDancer
For me Comic Books (and also Manga) is one the best ways to illustrate a story. Sure there are films that can do that also. But Comic Books captures images of storytelling that get more imprinted in my mind. The art of comic books also inspires me to create my own characters. And to write my own storylines. It motives me to improve my drawing skills and to colorize the worlds they live in.

There is also the hero and villain factor which I feel connected. The good vs the evil themes that somehow reflects my personality. Not all heroes have triumph victories and not all villains are defeated so easily. The struggle between both forces is what creates balance in their universe. Like Batman and Joker as an example. The former seeks ways to defend and protect the innocent from Injustice. While the latter seeks to destroy and laugh at Law and Order as well as Justice.

manny321
Music and Books

Capt_Fantastic

Sorry, I'll elaborate on my answers:

Originally posted by Capt_Fantastic
Music and movies

Music is an expression of my emotions. I learned to play the piano, after giving up on several other instruments. I guess it was just the instrument with which I felt the most comfortable. I also find the sound of a piano to be one of the most intiment sounds in the world. I also think that a man sitting alone at the piano is one of the ultimate emotional expressions.

As for movies, they are a mental and visual escape. I am one of those people that gets so wrapped up in his own thoughts, that the escape provided in a movie is much needed relief. Which is how I judge a good movie from a bad, it actually makes me forget what I'm thinking about before I sit down and watch it.

debbiejo
Ohhhhhhhhhh how I love great guitar and keyboards....not so much the lyrics.............but oh how the sound influences me........almost into Utopia.....but great lyrics can really add to what is being portrayed in the meanings...............touching, feeling............eternal...............NEVER ENDING...........

Echuu
Originally posted by Capt_Fantastic
Music is an expression of my emotions. I learned to play the piano, after giving up on several other instruments. I guess it was just the instrument with which I felt the most comfortable. I also find the sound of a piano to be one of the most intiment sounds in the world. I also think that a man sitting alone at the piano is one of the ultimate emotional expressions.

Awesome.

Music is number one for me... listening to and also the creating of it. I play drums and guitar. I find it amazing when a group of skilled musicians play together. It brings out a completely different side of you; especially when you have wonderful lyrics to go with it.

Second is movies, and third is video games/other media.

Ya Krunk'd Floo
With which artform or medium of communication do you have the strongest connection?

As my personal library can attest to, I am a learned man of books. "Books!", I say..."Books!".

Why? Well, let me tell you...A book allows you to connect your imagination to the flight of fantasy of another's. The author can give you the landscape of the book's world, while you, the reader, paint the details that bring the narrative to life.

I love good movies, but I always feel let down by adaptations of books I love. In some cases this is because the movies are just bad, but in others the movies can be good - yet still not match the vividity of your personal visualisation of the story. The only exception to this rule is LOTR, which I thought was perfect in every way.

As for original movies, they suffer the same fate as the audience is always being told and shown, rather than connecting. If you catch my drift...

After literature and before movies lies the world of music. Like others have said before me, music has the ability to make you fly and then bring you down to Earth again. On my way to work, I get intimate with my iPod and let the tunes of Bob "lively up (myself) and don't be no drag". Then, if I'm flying along on my hog, there's nothing better than Audioslave's 'Shadow Of The Sun' to race to the horizon to. Finally, on my way home after a long day, I get ready to return to my commodious quarters by slowing it down with Mishka or Amos Lee. So, I generally try to match the moment to the music as a way of facilitating the mood.

So there we go...

1 - Literature
2 - Music
3 - Movies

Alpha Centauri
Doesn't Arwen get killed off in the movies? I remember someone saying they changed her from the books.

-AC

Lana
Originally in the books she had a really small role. They more or less replaced Glorfindel with her in FOTR, and made the Arwen-Aragorn love story a main focus of the movies - it wasn't so nearly as much in the books.

Alpha Centauri
That's what I heard also.

I don't get why they couldn't just do it normally or why they had to have a major love element. It was fine.

-AC

Ya Krunk'd Floo
No, she lived happily ever after as the queen of Aragorn in the movies...but if I can recollect correctly, she was changed a bit. I think that other chick was changed more drastically into becoming some sort of warrior princess...Either way, I found the over-all world of Peter Jackson's movie succinctly matched my own ideas...I think this is because Tolkein's books were so detailed.

DOOM2099
Music for me.

-AC

Totally agree. When I hear music from before I was even born, I get nostalgic for days gone by etc etc. Music can evoke responses in me that neither lit or tv can. Or movies etc. Music has an unimaginable power all on it's own.

Victor Von Doom
Originally posted by Ya Krunk'd Floo

A book allows you to connect your imagination to the flight of fantasy of another's. The author can give you the landscape of the book's world, while you, the reader, paint the details that bring the narrative to life.

I love good movies, but I always feel let down by adaptations of books I love. In some cases this is because the movies are just bad, but in others the movies can be good - yet still not match the vividity of your personal visualisation of the story.

Nice. It seems literature is being overlooked elsewhere.

jaden101
for me music is probably top of the list...it can lift you when you're down...music can compliment any mood or any emotion and create its own as well...sometimes you can enjoy music hugely without much effort when compared with other art forms

music can also be more of a journey into the unknown...going a buying cd's just because you like the cover and having no idea what to expect...you could be buying the biggest load of crap...but you could just be buying music by a band that you will treasure your whole life

film lacks that kind of mystery...even when buying a dvd of a film you've never heard of...its reasonably easy to guess what its going to be like

books would be a close second to music for me...the fact that very descriptive books require you to use your own imagination to picture the events in your mind is something that makes the experience more personal than film as a medium...a great example being high-rise by JG Ballard...a genius book for stirring the imagination

Lana

Oh, I love to read. I like to try and illustrate scenes from books, too....I have LOADS of LOTR sketches I've done.

debbiejo
Well the second thing would be reading, but it's most always nonfiction...not using much imagination there, unless it's a good fictional mystery.

Ya Krunk'd Floo

Thanks, I even made-up a word of my own...'vividity'. Aren't I special!?!

So, VD...Will you enlighten us with some thoughts of your own, or are you purely here for altruistic intentions?

My guess is that after that 'Ockhams Razor' gag, you've been reading some Pynchon as he's the antithesis of simplicity. C'est vrai, n'est pas?

Alpha Centauri
He reads abduction monthly, bought from Borders in the West End.

-AC

Ya Krunk'd Floo
Aha! So you're saying he's a man of The Cough? How worthy...

Victor Von Doom
Thanks, I even made-up a word of my own...'vividity'. Aren't I special!?!

So, VD...Will you enlighten us with some thoughts of your own, or are you purely here for altruistic intentions?

My guess is that after that 'Ockhams Razor' gag, you've been reading some Pynchon as he's the antithesis of simplicity. C'est vrai, n'est pas?

N'est pas.

Not recently anyway.

Ya Krunk'd Floo
Really? I am surprised...

VD, please infect us with your own take on this thread of yours...

Victor Von Doom
Really? I am surprised...

VD, please infect us with your own take on this thread of yours...

I'd rather leave it its innocence.

Eis

Or, which medium is most likely to affect you in a significant way?

Perhaps via a direct emotional impact, or through a more thoughtful interaction.
Literature definitely. Reading has changed me in so many ways.
Some movies too though.

When it comes to music, I just LOVE music I love it but it never... influences me, know what I mean?

Victor Von Doom
Originally posted by Eis
Literature definitely. Reading has changed me in so many ways.
Some movies too though.

When it comes to music, I just LOVE music I love it but it never... influences me, know what I mean?

Yeah. I think you thought about it in a more cerebral sense, whereas most others are referring to sensations or feelings.

eggmayo
I suppose films and music are more likely to influence me. Depends on what aspect of me is being influenced, though.

Ya Krunk'd Floo
I'd rather leave it its innocence.

Surgeon the virgin! Surgeon the virgin!

Eis...Yeah, you seem to connect to music in a very spiritual way. It's almost like...you...are music...right? Well expressed and interesting.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.